PDA

View Full Version : Peppers?

bradness113
01-17-2009, 12:28 PM
I know we have a huge game this weekend...
but i wanted to get ur thoughts on Julius Peppers.
He just said that he wants OUT of carolina, and that he wants to move to a team with a 3-4 Defense. hmmmmm

Idk.

GO STEELERS
CANT WAIT ANYMORE!!!! :tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

:helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::h elmet:

BehindSteelCurtain
01-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Nice thought but I don't think Pit will pay him.

GodofGridiron
01-17-2009, 12:35 PM
He would have to choose to take 50 percent of what he makes now and truly show that he's committed to winning a championship at that salary tier.

Somehow i see NE calling........

BehindSteelCurtain
01-17-2009, 12:37 PM
He would have to choose to take 50 percent of what he makes now and truly show that he's committed to winning a championship at that salary tier.

Somehow i see NE calling........

I'd rather use those big bucks on the O-Line. Our D-Line is so underrated though. Not many big names but they get the job done.

bradness113
01-17-2009, 12:41 PM
i agree. just wanted to throw that out there tho...

LambertIsGod58
01-17-2009, 12:43 PM
I'd rather use those big bucks on the O-Line. Our D-Line is so underrated though. Not many big names but they get the job done.

Im withya on this one~

tony hipchest
01-17-2009, 12:44 PM
:wtf:

yeah, lets bench harrison or woodley and throw megabucks at peppers.

rbryan
01-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Sounds like a good fit for the Cowboys. JJ loves to throw big$ at overrated players. Peppers best days are behind him. Wouldn't want him even if he came here for half of what he's making now.

4G63
01-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Please, as a Ravens fan, I'd LOVE for you guys to get him!!

ShutDown24
01-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Please, as a Ravens fan, I'd LOVE for you guys to get him!!

Lol that's more a move your franchise would make ala Willis McGahee/Steve McNair.

4G63
01-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Lol that's more a move your franchise would make ala Willis McGahee/Steve McNair.

The McNair pickup was crazy based on how much we paid him, not the pickup itself. The same could be said for Willis. Neither guy had people beating down the door for their services, but we overpaid for them IMO.......but thats water under the bridge at this point.

devilsdancefloor
01-17-2009, 01:34 PM
no thank you! we have better LB on the bench

KeiselPower99
01-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Sounds like a good fit for the Cowboys. JJ loves to throw big$ at overrated players. Peppers best days are behind him. Wouldn't want him even if he came here for half of what he's making now.

I have to disagree with you on the best days are behind him quote. He is 29 just had the best season of his career. He still has 3 to 4 more years of preduction remaining.

Penn Hills guy in NC
01-17-2009, 02:07 PM

Holy canoli, Peppers best days are far from gone, y'all. The man had 14.5 sacks in 2008, his best season total ever (only 1.5 sacks fewer than our beloved J. Harrison for gosh sakes). Compare that with any of our Steeler DEs. 40 solo tackles, not his best year there but close. He'll just turn 29 tomorrow so he'll certainly play at least a few more seasons.

Now to be sure, the Steelers don't have to have him, don't have space for him, but to say Peppers' best days are behind him is very premature and reckless in my opinion. He had an off year in 2007 but came back strong this year. The man is a weapon and far from overrated. In fact I say he is underrated. I hate the Cowboys too much to even think of Julius ending up there. Steeler fan should hope he stays in the NFC if he ain't coming to da 'burgh.

http://www.nfl.com/players/juliuspeppers/profile?id=PEP422041

Rick5895
01-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Peppers is not a Steeler type of player, as great as he is. He is a 4-3 end not a 3-4 end.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Peppers is not a Steeler type of player, as great as he is. He is a 4-3 end not a 3-4 end.

He would move to OLB, he's way to small to play end in a 3-4.

fansince'76
01-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Here I thought the "(Insert name of overpriced disgruntled player/FA here) would look great in the B&G if he comes cheap" threads would at least wait until our season's over. :coffee:

chucoblack&gold
01-17-2009, 02:40 PM
The McNair pickup was crazy based on how much we paid him, not the pickup itself. The same could be said for Willis. Neither guy had people beating down the door for their services, but we overpaid for them IMO.......but thats water under the bridge at this point.

OWNED!! :flap::toofunny::rofl:

4G63
01-17-2009, 02:46 PM
OWNED!! :flap::toofunny::rofl:

How was I pwned? My post makes sense and is truthful. They overpaid for both players, not that they weren't/aren't any good. When McGahee wants to play, he has a great game.......as you'll hopefully see tomorrow.... :wink02:

RoethlisBURGHer
01-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Why would we even be interested?

We have the reigning Defensive Player of the Year at one OLB spot, and a future DPOY at the other.

We don't need Peppers. He wants to go to a 3-4 team and play OLB? He can go to Cleveland, and they can go through the growing pains as he adjusts to rushing from a two-point stance and droping into pass coverage.

Penn Hills guy in NC
01-17-2009, 03:14 PM

Yeah, he's pretty small - 6 foot 6 inches and 283 pounds. Puny.

steelcity0983
01-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Well the Steelers don't need him, and he will probably not be worth what he will ask for.

JPSEMP
01-17-2009, 03:25 PM
No way we bring any veteran into this defense to do anything but to provide depth. I would like to see them grap an end or nose-gaurd in the second or third. If the right player is available in the 1st round I could see them grabbing someone to spell Hampton and eventually be his replacement.

deminutah
01-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Think of Jim Mora's PLAYOFF rant and please insert the word PEPPERS.

steelreserve
01-17-2009, 04:17 PM

He's the same size as either Keisel or Smith, so I don't see that being a problem.

But what we don't need on the DL is more guys who are 30 years old. If we get anyone, it ought to be someone young enough to take over for one of our three main guys after they retire.

MasterOfPuppets
01-17-2009, 04:19 PM
He's the same size as either Keisel or Smith, so I don't see that being a problem.

But what we don't need on the DL is more guys who are 30 years old. If we get anyone, it ought to be someone young enough to take over for one of our three main guys after they retire.ala....chris canty :thumbsup:

RoethlisBURGHer
01-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah, he's pretty small - 6 foot 6 inches and 283 pounds. Puny.

I didn't realize he was that big. And the way you put it was rather rude, noob.

When you see him on TV, he looks smaller than Smith or Keisel. I still don't think he'd work out as a DE in the 3-4 anyhow. A 3-4 DE's job is more of a take up the blockers so the linebackers can make the play, no way Peppers would go for that type of job.

SaskSteeler
01-17-2009, 05:50 PM
If we are gonna give someone from carolina our money it should be jordan gross

MDSteel15
01-17-2009, 07:24 PM

Now that's a voice of reason! :thumbsup:

KeiselPower99
01-17-2009, 10:44 PM

I concour.

lilyoder6
01-17-2009, 10:49 PM
i see peppers asking for a shit ton of money and the steelers wouldn't give it to him.. he is a good player and will help out a franchise.. but not this one

JackHammer
01-17-2009, 11:16 PM
I once made jelly out of habanero peppers. Talk about putting hair on your chest..... :yikes:

Hines0wnz
01-18-2009, 01:36 AM
No, the O-line needs investing in.

Preacher
01-18-2009, 02:40 AM
I didn't realize he was that big. And the way you put it was rather rude, noob.

When you see him on TV, he looks smaller than Smith or Keisel. I still don't think he'd work out as a DE in the 3-4 anyhow. A 3-4 DE's job is more of a take up the blockers so the linebackers can make the play, no way Peppers would go for that type of job.

In our system, you are absolutely right.

I wonder if he would work better in another 3-4 system that uses their Line to rush more than just gap control.

SunshineMan21
01-18-2009, 03:11 AM
It's not that Peppers is too small to be a 3-4 end, it's that his play style doesn't fit. Keisel and Smith's jobs are to occupy blockers and clog running lanes, and when they pass rush it's less finesse and more of a straight bull-rush.

Peppers is an excellent pass rusher, but he isn't the kind of DE that fits in our system. Dumb teams like the Redskins take good defensive players (Jason Taylor) and shove them into an incompatible system with poor results. LeBeau knows what he's doing--I doubt we sign any major free agents, as if Peppers is leaving I'm sure Carolina will hang on to Jordan Gross.

Dr. Steel
01-18-2009, 03:11 AM
Pepper has the athletic ability to play OLB in a 3-4. But the Steelers don't need him. We have Harrison and Woodley so were fine at OLB. I know Peppers is around 280 but I still think the could play OLB in a 3-4. Calvin Pace weighs around 270 range and plays OLB in the Jets 3-4 scheme. I think Pepper is more athletic and a better player then Pace.