PDA

View Full Version : Proud of my wife -- stupid bandwagon fans

Preacher
01-18-2009, 01:04 AM
I was driving through another city today, when we stopped to get something to eat. I saw a guy there wearing a Steelers Jersey. His son was wearing one as well. I walked up to him, with the Steelers leather coat slung over my shoulder so he could see it (so he knew why I was approaching him) and asked if he was from Pit. He said no. I kinda expected that, being in CA. So I asked how he became a fan. He said "I just starting liking the team a few years ago" and turned around, effectively ending the conversation.

As I stepped my away, my wife stepped to my side and said, "yeah, he aint no real fan! Real Steeler fans would have sat there and talked with you for the next 20 minutes."

Now you gotta remember, my wife isn't really a Steeler fan. She is a Giants fan if anything, though she has started to like the Steelers on account of me.

All this to say, at that moment, I was the proudest husband in the entire state!

Dino 6 Rings
01-18-2009, 01:17 AM
You got yourself a Great Woman their Preacher...I read my wife this and she just smiled and nodded, knowing me, 20 minutes wouldn't have been long enough...our wives would have walked off together while you and Chatted up the Steelers!

SteelersinCA
01-18-2009, 01:17 AM
I'm glad you changed Dr. Phils lapel pin!!

Preacher
01-18-2009, 01:33 AM
I'm glad you changed Dr. Phils lapel pin!!

I owe that to DDF.

DINO....

Yeah that has happened before to my wife!

JackHammer
01-18-2009, 01:35 AM
I met tons of Steelers fans when I was in Vegas. They all stopped and talked football for at least twenty minutes. Even a meat cutter at the Carnival World Buffet :tt02:

Preacher
01-18-2009, 02:42 AM
I met tons of Steelers fans when I was in Vegas. They all stopped and talked football for at least twenty minutes. Even a meat cutter at the Carnival World Buffet :tt02:

That's my point exactly!

I have met a number of real Steelers fans, and pretty much EVERY TIME, it is all about the Steelers. Heck, even in like at a bank.

steelreserve
01-18-2009, 02:44 AM
a minute ago, this thread was right next to the one titled "beating the Ravens 3 times in a row," and my brain somehow mashed it into "proud of beating my wife 3 times in a row." Just thought you would be interested to know that.

Preacher
01-18-2009, 02:50 AM
a minute ago, this thread was right next to the one titled "beating the Ravens 3 times in a row," and my brain somehow mashed it into "proud of beating my wife 3 times in a row." Just thought you would be interested to know that.

:rofl:

I have done that with a few threads myself.

Trust me, a beat down with my wife would go 9 rounds, and i would be as likely to lose as win. She IS a Jersey girl after all :chuckle:

VegasStlrFan
01-18-2009, 02:54 AM
I went into a furniture store last Saturday and spent a solid half hour talking to a sales man about Steelers football. He was even pointing me out to his co-workers. Nice guy, its kind of hard to hammer a fellow faithful Steeler fan about price.

Big7BenHOF
01-18-2009, 03:12 AM
Come to my part of CA and we'll have a long talk about Steelers football. LoL

Preacher
01-18-2009, 03:30 AM
I have found a number of them around here... and they are always talks that have to be ended before they are done.

Galax Steeler
01-18-2009, 07:21 AM
The steeler fans are pretty thick around here to and everytime you go out you run into some one wanting to talk about the steelers I could set down and talk for hours about them.

GBMelBlount
01-18-2009, 08:47 AM
:rofl:

Trust me, a beat down with my wife would go 9 rounds, and i would be as likely to lose as win. She IS a Jersey girl after all :chuckle:

...and don't EVER arm wrestle her for Heinekens. Trust me on that.... :drink:

Spending much of my formative years in Jersey I can attest to Jersey girls being a tough breed.

stillers4me
01-18-2009, 09:15 AM
You know....I don't care how or when a person became a Steelers fan. As long as they stay one. It doesn't matter. Sometimes people aren't all that interested in football until they see a Steelers game and say "wow". Sometimes they are a fan of another team because of birth and watching what the Steelers do, they say "wow, now there's a team I can get behind.' Our players stories, the way they play with their hearts, the way the Rooney's run the team, the rich history that doesn't seem to end and the city and it's fans all are fascinating. When someone's heart is open to this instead of hate.........they can wave a Terrible Towel beside me any day.

It's like adopting a child. They are still considered family. We all can't be lucky enough to born with black and gold blood. But we can still add to the family. Just don't ever walk away from family.

stillers4me
01-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Preacher,
No disrespect to your wife, but that attitude strikes me as fan snobbery.
That's not how you tell the difference between a real fan and a bandwagoneer. The trick is to look for Steeler gear during off years. The real fans will still be wearing it.

:thumbsup:

SteelerFanInATL
01-18-2009, 09:47 AM
You got yourself a Great Woman their Preacher...I read my wife this and she just smiled and nodded, knowing me, 20 minutes wouldn't have been long enough...our wives would have walked off together while you and Chatted up the Steelers!

I thought it was just me and mine. Living in Atlanta I find myself in the same situation. My wife knows if I start talking to someone while we are out that I don't know about the Steelers she knows it going to be a while. Preacher, your wife is closer to admiting publicly that she does like the Steelers than you think. (LOL)

varmintjcl
01-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Ya know I live in Arizona transplanted from The Burgh long ago & I wear my Steelers apparel year around. I must say I cannot think of a single time that I wasn't approached by a fellow fan, sometimes it's just a thumbs up or a Go Steelers, but it never fails that I get comments.
Even my granddaughter talks trash to her schoolmates and challenges them to wear their own team jersey & takes bets on which one of them will get the most comments from strangers.....Of course she always wins!!! :thumbsup:

Preacher
01-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Preacher,
That's not how you tell the difference between a real fan and a bandwagoneer. The trick is to look for Steeler gear during off years. The real fans will still be wearing it.

Actually, she came to that conclusion based on watching us Steelers fans. Remember, she is a Giants fan.

She has just been utterly amazed over the last few years that she has started watching closely how this fan base reacts. She compared that to what she saw yesterday and quickly concluded that the person had no idea what it really meant to be a Steelers fan. I have to admit, from the guys response to me, my wife was probably dead on.

i thought about pulling out the, "Who is our center" line. But figured it wasn't worth the trouble. :chuckle:

steelpride12
01-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Exactly man. I was out in Phoenix climbing the brutal camel back mountain(my sis lives out here), and everyday i was there i wore something Steelers, and another Steeler fan stopped us and we talked about them for a good half an hour before his wife called to get home.

LambertIsGod58
01-18-2009, 12:10 PM
I was driving through another city today, when we stopped to get something to eat. I saw a guy there wearing a Steelers Jersey. His son was wearing one as well. I walked up to him, with the Steelers leather coat slung over my shoulder so he could see it (so he knew why I was approaching him) and asked if he was from Pit. He said no. I kinda expected that, being in CA. So I asked how he became a fan. He said "I just starting liking the team a few years ago" and turned around, effectively ending the conversation.

As I stepped my away, my wife stepped to my side and said, "yeah, he aint no real fan! Real Steeler fans would have sat there and talked with you for the next 20 minutes."

Now you gotta remember, my wife isn't really a Steeler fan. She is a Giants fan if anything, though she has started to like the Steelers on account of me.

All this to say, at that moment, I was the proudest husband in the entire state!

I never really thought about it until I read this thread. But it's so true. I think it stems from what the Steelers organization has embodied over the last 76 years.

Preacher
01-18-2009, 12:23 PM
I never really thought about it until I read this thread. But it's so true. I think it stems from what the Steelers organization has embodied over the last 76 years.

Yep. I think the only other team in pro sports that are like that is the New York Yankee fans (the true ones).

I saw it once in the NorthWest when the Seattle Mariners were making their first big push for the playoffs in the 1990's, it gripped the entire region. But that was once.

It is every year, even off years for the Steelers!

SteelersHoss
01-18-2009, 02:09 PM
You are all right, Living in Canada, I can tell a real fan or not, the head nod or a shout out, like I received yesterday, from a total stanger walking on the other side of the mall, saying, "let's get it done tomorrow." Those are the real fans as well.

kittenfantastico76
01-18-2009, 02:50 PM
BEST STORY! Seriously most fans, not just Steelers fans are excited to find others that love the same team. Especially when you aren't in the home area of said team. I mean living here in Alabama, I'm extremely excited to find people wearing Steelers gear and I smile if I'm wearing my gear (otherwise it might be a bit strange)... My boyfriend even had a great conversation with a guy in Target (I had gone somewhere else in the store)... the guy had head to toe gear on and my boyfriend asked where he purchased most of it here in AL? The guy nicely replied no, all online... it's the only way to get it here. (We are at the mercy of the Titans, Cowboys and sometimes Redskins merch.) Point is the guy, a true fan, was helping out another, new fan, my boyfriend (I converted him) ;)

While in Surf City, NC recently - where my mom used to live - we came across a bar that proudly had up a banner in the front that said "THIS IS STEELER COUNTRY"... it took me all of 10 seconds to pull in and run to the front door to pay that place some of my money... to find something like that in Panther Territory is great!

Oddly enough, I'm not sure of the fan base in Nashville as far as Titans vs. other teams but one establishment that's been there for years had a huge Eagles fan base (bar owners and patrons) - I bet they are having a ball today downtown!!!

SteelersMongol
01-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Preacher,

In my case, I used 2 put more Steelers stuff after the lost game (when I was in the states). Here it doesn't make difference. :wink02: God I loved 2 C other Steelers fans in tiny Fargo area. :thumbsup:

Mikee
01-18-2009, 10:49 PM
The city I live in there are a good amount of Steeler fans (more Raiders).

People often know because if we see each other on the road we start honking and yelling HERE WE GO STEELERS. Its a great feeling.

Wear it loud and proud my friends.

SoCalSteelersFan
01-18-2009, 11:02 PM
I would have talked to you about football for an hr and had a couple of drinks!

Mags87
01-18-2009, 11:17 PM
In my case, I used 2 put more Steelers stuff after the lost game (when I was in the states). Here it doesn't make difference. :wink02: God I loved 2 C other Steelers fans in tiny Fargo area. :thumbsup:

Fargo area you say? haha new poster to this forum but reading this i had to say it. i live right by the NDSU campus in Fargo (student). big big Steelers fan over here :tt03:

Jaquila
01-18-2009, 11:54 PM
She is right!! im not from pittsburgh... I would have talked with you for hours;)

SteelersMongol
01-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Fargo area you say? haha new poster to this forum but reading this i had to say it. i live right by the NDSU campus in Fargo (student). big big Steelers fan over here :tt03:

:applaudit: Both my wife & I graduated from MSUM in 2006. So actually I lived in Moorhead, but you know it's practically same as Fargo. :wink02: Man, it was some awesome 3 years of my life I've spent in Minnesota. :thumbsup: Good luck with your studies. :hug:

Mags87
01-18-2009, 11:57 PM
:applaudit: Both my wife & I graduated from MSUM in 2006. So actually I lived in Moorhead, but you know it's practically same as Fargo. :wink02: Man, it was some awesome 3 years of my life I've spent in Minnesota. :thumbsup: Good luck with your studies. :hug:

gotta love the weather! we got a record amount of snow in december and i doubt its gonna let up anytime soon! HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!:tt03::tt03::tt03:

Polamalu43
01-19-2009, 12:00 AM

Im a stelers fan myself living here in LA , CA. i loved my steelers since i was a little kid, going back to the days of Greg Lloyd, kevin green, O"Donell, Foster ETC..