PDA

View Full Version : Parker on Steelers: 'Lucky we've got a defense'

mesaSteeler
01-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Parker on Steelers: 'Lucky we've got a defense'
By Gary Mihoces, USA TODAY
PITTSBURGH — The Pittsburgh Steelers and running back Willie Parker hardly rushed into the Super Bowl.

"We tried to run. We tried to run all night. It just never happened," Parker said after the Steelers beat the Ravens 23-14 Sunday in the AFC title game to advance to the Super Bowl — despite Parker being held to a scant 47 rushing yards on 24 carries.

"Lucky we've got a defense," added Parker, whose long gain was seven yards. "You always rely on defense winning championships, and that's what happened tonight.

In six previous games against the Ravens, Parker had averaged 43.7 yards with a high of 63 yards. He got a little over his average Sunday, but he's still never rushed for a touchdown versus the Ravens.

"They made a point of stopping the run," said Steelers offensive tackle Max Starks.

"They had eight men in the box (bunched near the line of scrimmage) the entire night. …Jim Leonhard (Ravens safety) must have had 40 tackles. He was coming down (to the line) every single play."

Leonhard actually had just three tackles and an assist. But he was playing the run hard all game. Linebacker Ray Lewis and Bart Scott had six solo tackles each, and 345-pound nose tackle Haloti Ngata had five solos.

"That boy (Ngata) is a beast, man, he's a load," said Parker. "I'm glad we don't have to face the Ravens' front every week."

Though Pittsburgh netted just 52 rushing yards as a team, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw for 255 yards.

"They were going to stop the run at all costs and I guess give Ben a lot more passing yards," said Starks.

In the first nine games of this season, Parker had missed five starts, four with a knee injury and one with a shoulder injury.

However, he had come on strong in Pittsburgh's two previous games, rushing for 116 yards in the Steelers' regular-season finale against the Cleveland Browns and a season-high 146 yards (plus two touchdowns) in Pittsburgh's divisional round playoff victory last weekend against the San Diego Chargers.

After the battle with Baltimore, Parker removed black tape covering two deep scrapes on his upper right arm. That wasn't the result of the Ravens clawing at him. He said he sustained those cuts against San Diego.

But Baltimore knocked him around all game. "We all just couldn't do the things we needed to do to come up with more points," said Parker.

"We just need to do a better job running."

Find this article at:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/2009-01-18-parker-sidebar_N.htm

Edman
01-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Well, to their credit, the Ravens rarely let anyone run on them. Including Parker.

jjpro11
01-19-2009, 12:34 AM
the ravens just own parker.. its pretty plain and simple.. we are forced to play them one-dimensional every time.

Polamalu43
01-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Honestly though, the ravens own our running game period...

Preacher
01-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Well, to their credit, the Ravens rarely let anyone run on them. Including Parker.

EXACTLY.

This is a game that we LOSE under Cowher because we don't have the ability to go over the top.

When you are in the playoffs, you play teams you can't run against. Now, against the Cards, that is going to probably be a different story.

Preacher
01-19-2009, 12:38 AM
the ravens just own parker.. its pretty plain and simple.. we are forced to play them one-dimensional every time.

And we have beat them now 4 of the last 4 times when the game has counted (the last game last year wasn't important).

So I don't have a problem being one dimensional against the Ratbirds... cause we keep winning against them doing it.

Edman
01-19-2009, 12:44 AM
The Ravens do own the Steelers Run Game, but who hasn't? And what run game has the Ravens NOT shut down this year? The Giants? They are the number two defense for a reason.

But the Steelers own Joe Flacco.

And Ben owns the Ravens. So we're even.

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 12:45 AM
What I don't get is how the Giants ran roughshod over them, and how the Titans were doing the same until Chris Johnson got knocked out last week? :noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
01-19-2009, 12:46 AM
does anyone remember seeing any runs designed to go outside the tackles? i don't recall seeing anything that resembled a sweep..... i know you can't just abandon the running game, but you don't have to keep running the same failing plays over and over....:doh: ..... it was obvious after the first 10 runs between the tackles , that the middle wasn't happening, so why not try some quick pitches outside ???:noidea:

SteelersinCA
01-19-2009, 12:47 AM
2 words, Brandon Jacobs. 6'6" 240 lbs, enough said.

MasterOfPuppets
01-19-2009, 12:49 AM
What I don't get is how the Giants ran roughshod over them, and how the Titans were doing the same until Chris Johnson got knocked out last week? :noidea:thats the difference between good run blockers, and the line we have....:doh:

Nighthawk
01-19-2009, 12:54 AM
Ravens just have our # on run defense. Willie calls it how he sees it I like it.

GodofGridiron
01-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Chris Johnson has as different running style than Parker. He's just as fast as Parker but he has cutback ability, he's shifty and can make you miss. Willie is just..... fast.......he really doesnt possess any other oustanding trait for a special back.

Jacobs is big......punishing.....as agile as Bettis was for a big man on his feet and he runs legs high (which Willie doesnt)

X-Terminator
01-19-2009, 01:00 AM
What I don't get is how the Giants ran roughshod over them, and how the Titans were doing the same until Chris Johnson got knocked out last week? :noidea:

They have better OLs. That's really all there is to it. While our OL has played better the past 2 weeks, they aren't on the level of the Giants and Titties.

Preacher
01-19-2009, 01:03 AM
They have better OLs. That's really all there is to it. While our OL has played better the past 2 weeks, they aren't on the level of the Giants and Titties.

I gotta say that this is probably the biggest reason.

steelers2685
01-19-2009, 01:07 AM
Maybe I'm wrong here, but didn't he run well last week after McHugh was leading the way? Yet Mr. Arians decides to not get those types of calls/lineups in tonight? If nobody else has noticed in the last three years since Willie became the starter, HE'S NOT BUILT TO RUN UP THE MIDDLE!!!! at least not without a fullback.

BozMan
01-19-2009, 01:09 AM
Maybe I'm wrong here, but didn't he run well last week after McHugh was leading the way? Yet Mr. Arians decides to not get those types of calls/lineups in tonight? If nobody else has noticed in the last three years since Willie became the starter, HE'S NOT BUILT TO RUN UP THE MIDDLE!!!! at least not without a fullback.

I didn't understand why we kept trying to run Willie up the middle when it clearly wasn't working. Would have liked to have seen more attempts go outside the tackles.

chucoblack&gold
01-19-2009, 01:12 AM
Honestly, did anyone expect us to have a great running game against baltimore.

I'm sure it will be a different outcome in two weeks.

ricksteelers55
01-19-2009, 04:50 AM

think about it....what do they have that we dont....ohhh great O-Line !!!

that is why

against the Ravens u need to have a GREAT O-Line and different style of RB's(White & Johnson although White didnt ran well...and Jacobs,Ward & Bradshaw)

MJ5150
01-19-2009, 05:07 AM
The yards weren't there, but the 28 carries were what mattered most. That allowed Ben to do what he did.

Sorry, can't take credit for that comment. I heard Tom Jackson say it on ESPN when him and Berman were reviewing the game.

-Mike

pghfrank1948
01-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Exactly when it was obvious the run was neutralized why keep trying? Those three and outs n the third quarter had me screaming at the play calling. Im no expert but I do know when I keep running into a wall to go around or over it!!! Thank the Ghost of Myron Cope we have a defense. I knew the only way to save the game was for the defense to score. Pittsburgh's is goping to the Super Bowl!!!!!

Hapa
01-19-2009, 10:06 AM
2 words, Brandon Jacobs. 6'6" 240 lbs, enough said.

He's 270!! He's like a frickin D-End with the ball and crazy quick feet!

markymarc
01-19-2009, 11:22 AM
We are just not able to run against Baltimore. I will say this though, I truly believe that when the Rats had 2 of their CBs go down, why didn't Arians attack them then. You go hurry up offense and attack them with 2 CBs down. For the life of me I just can't understand why he doesn't allow us to break it out more especially against the Rats since they were shutting down the running game.

HometownGal
01-19-2009, 11:33 AM
thats the difference between good run blockers, and the line we have....:doh:

That's about it in a nutshell.

Our line did play fairly well the last two games and the Steelers tried runs against the brick wall known as the Rats run D to keep 'em honest. Ben was very successful through the air and didn't turn the ball over - huge difference maker.

We won the battle of the turnovers and consequently, won the game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2009, 11:49 AM
EXACTLY.

This is a game that we LOSE under Cowher because we don't have the ability to go over the top.

When you are in the playoffs, you play teams you can't run against. Now, against the Cards, that is going to probably be a different story.

I agree that the Ravens stuff everybody in the run game, but don't agree that we lose this game with Cowher coaching. Preacher, you are pretty quick to point out that we passed lots against Denver and the Colts in the 2005 run UNDER COWHER. Why do you think he wouldnt pass the ball now??

Bottom line, they tried hard to run the ball, with little success, but at least it gave the impression that we would run. Any Ben haters that think he cant perform in a big game need to look at both his AFCC wins!! Great game and great team win!!!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2009, 11:51 AM
That's about it in a nutshell.

Our line did play fairly well the last two games and the Steelers tried runs against the brick wall known as the Rats run D to keep 'em honest. Ben was very successful through the air and didn't turn the ball over - huge difference maker.

We won the battle of the turnovers and consequently, won the game.

:applaudit: That is the most brief, concise and accurate recap of last nights key to victory!!!!!