PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts on the Game...

steelers2685
01-18-2009, 11:52 PM
I'm an avid, die hard, lose your voice at home type of Steeler fan. Here are my thoughts on the game:

1. The non-TD call on Santonio Holmes. I'm still unsure how they established it was incomplete? :noidea: IMHO, he caught it, and on his second step (in which case for a receiver to have established a catch he must have possession and take two steps in order to make a football move). On the second step he dove, the ball crossed the goal line, and the ball then came out as he slid past the white front of the goal line. Should've been a touchdown.

2. I don't know about you guys, but I cannot stand listening to guys with the likes of Phil Simms, Jim Nance, Cris Collinsworth, or Boomer Esiason calling games. Instead, I turn it on DVE and listen to Hillgrove and Tunch calling the game. I yelled countless time about Harrison not getting holding penalties called on the guy guarding him. How many of these per game are these refs going to allow happen? It looks to me like he had quite a slump in productivity since that game versus the Titans simply because these guys are getting him stopped by holding him. Yes he is a beast, but it does play a role in getting to the quarterback nonetheless.

3. Limas Limas Limas. Keep in mind we yelled Santoni-NO!!!!!! a number of times during his rookie year and now look at the strides he has made to becoming our top receiver. Give Sweed some time and he will be as if not more productive and involved as Santonio. That hit he had on Corey Ivy, as they discussed on theCooler Talk postgame show, showst he type of player he's going to be - able to forget a huge mistake and come back wanting to make plays to make up for it (not counting the third down conversion catch he had as well). Way to go Limas, I'm behind ya.

4. The secondary REALLY stepped up. Woodley played a heck of a game, but our secondary, having been shaky in years past, is really coming into a zone since this last year. Great job guys.

5. Yes this is a great victory. In my llifetime this will be the third Super Bowl that these guys have made it to. Tonight was the most exciting win. After having so many disappointing Championship games play out over the years, I'm thrilled to see this team make it and THIS IS OUR TIME.

6. Troy Polamalu has been and IS back.... THE best defensive back we've had since the days of Rod Woodson (who it was neat to see handing the AFC championship trophy to Mr. Rooney).

7. Bruce Arians is still predictable to an extent. Running game was not working, yet let's try run run pass???? I know many back him up, but look at it this way, does anyone see coachless teams lining up to talk to him and try to take him away? I don't lol...

A few afterthoughts.........

- My eyes began scanning the sidelines for Daniel Sepulveda to throw on a jersey, hobble out onto the field with a crutch in hand, and still boot it farther than Mitch Berger :doh:.

- Kurt Warner should have won the MVP this year.

- Pray for Willis McGahee, as he is a terrific player (Raven or not) and the hit he took was very serious.

- Do you think Ryan Clark cares he's going to get a $25k thousand fine? I think he'll take that and receive a fumble in return that assured our place in Super Bowl XLIII! :tt02:

- LET'S HOPE THE REFS ARE BETTER IN THE SUPER BOWL! :tt03:

fansince'76
01-18-2009, 11:56 PM
1. The non-TD call on Santonio Holmes. I'm still unsure how they established it was incomplete? :noidea: IMHO, he caught it, and on his second step (in which case for a receiver to have established a catch he must have possession and take two steps in order to make a football move). On the second step he dove, the ball crossed the goal line, and the ball then came out as he slid past the white front of the goal line. Should've been a touchdown.

I'm still perturbed about that call. Not about it being a non-TD, but the ruling of incomplete. How many steps does a guy have to take with the damn ball FIRMLY in his grasp before it's a completed pass? 20? :mad:

SteelersinCA
01-18-2009, 11:58 PM
The refs won't be any better, get used to it. We'll still lay the smack down.

VinnySteel
01-19-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm still perturbed about that call. Not about it being a non-TD, but the ruling of incomplete. How many steps does a guy have to take with the damn ball FIRMLY in his grasp before it's a completed pass? 20? :mad:

Yeah the refs screwed this one up. It was in the same vein as the Polamalu interception from 2005 against the Colts, the refs interpretation was wrong. He established possession then extended the ball across the goal line. If he was bobbling it, how could he have extended it? Also, once that ball breaks the plane, it is a TOUCHDOWN, it doesn't matter what happens after that.

steelers2685
01-19-2009, 12:04 AM
My question is this:

During playoff time, there are what, four games total taking place at most on a playoff weekend, why couldn't the "Officials of the NFL Betterment Committee" or whatever they come themselves these days have someone in the booth to look at something like that and radio down to the field just like they do in under two mins? If you look the one call was going to be reviewed but Bill Carrolla didn't even make it over to the booth before he got the message from upsairs that it was incomplete. This should be able to be done at any point in the game if the on-field refs get it wrong. It seemst hey rush stuff at the beginning of the game then drag out meaningless reviews later on, or is that just me>?

devilsdancefloor
01-19-2009, 12:16 AM

no shiat! 2 steps and a "football" move on the dive i was so mad!!!

steelers2685
01-19-2009, 12:18 AM
They'll announce tomorrow that it should've been a TD, just like they said afterwards Troy had an INT against the Colts and that he had that TD against the Chargers. Ugh, NFL refs.

Preacher
01-19-2009, 12:28 AM
no shiat! 2 steps and a "football" move on the dive i was so mad!!!

The steps came as he was falling to the ground... being tackled when he caught the ball. The latest rule is that he must keep the ball even through the fall. So it isn't about a "football move" or "two steps"

He coulda taken 20 steps... but if he caught the ball, was tripped up, contnued stumbling for the next 15 steps, then fell and lost the ball, it is an incomplete pass because he didn't have comnplete control of the ball through the fall.

I don't like the rule... but it was well called on the field.

stlrtruck
01-19-2009, 12:30 AM
I'm going to put this out here now and I said to a few of the faithful around me during the game:

WE DON'T WHINE ABOUT THE REFS. We are not seahawks fans, titans fans, or anything else in between. We are the Steelers and great teams overcome obstacles. The refs are just part of the game and we need to overcome them in order to get the SIX PACK!!!

MACH1
01-19-2009, 12:34 AM

Yeah, that was a catch. That non call on pass interference in the endzone was complete BS too.

steelers2685
01-19-2009, 12:35 AM
Very well put Truck. I didn't think of it like that. My voicing this was the simple fact that it sucks when that is one more obstacle we have to overcome. Grant it, it gives us that much more to savor, but the human referee error aspect of the game is becoming ridiculous.

steelers2685
01-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Yeah, that was a catch. That non call on pass interference in the endzone was complete BS too.

McFadden I think it was got his left arm on the right side of Mason. To the ref looking from that back, it appeared as if he grabbed him. But as Bill Hillgrove pointed out, it did not impede his process to the ball nor his ability to make the catch. Oh well, we won! :tt02:

MACH1
01-19-2009, 12:38 AM
McFadden I think it was got his left arm on the right side of Mason. To the ref looking from that back, it appeared as if he grabbed him. But as Bill Hillgrove pointed out, it did not impede his process to the ball nor his ability to make the catch. Oh well, we won! :tt02:

I think it was Santo that got interfered with and it was a non call.

steelers2685
01-19-2009, 12:47 AM
I'm talking about the one called against our D on Mason or Clayton that brought the ball to the 1 yard line when otherwise it'd have been a stop on 3rd and 10.

Almanack
01-19-2009, 12:56 AM
I think the Holmes call (incomplete) was the correct call. The weird one was in the Cards / Eagles game when the Cards kicked off after a score and the refs called the play dead because they thought the ball was out of bounds. It NEVER went out of bounds. They just treated it like a play when they blow the whistle, the play is deemed dead. Blown call there... they need to work on fixing that somehow....

MACH1
01-19-2009, 12:57 AM
I'm talking about the one called against our D on Mason or Clayton that brought the ball to the 1 yard line when otherwise it'd have been a stop on 3rd and 10.

Yeah, but there was less contact on that call than the Santo play.

devo_17
01-19-2009, 02:11 AM
I agree with stlrtruck. Great teams overcome bad calls and that is what they Steelers did today. They have done it all season! Besides it's more fun to see that defense get mad and beat the crap out of the other guys than yell at the officials through the tv!

RavensD
01-19-2009, 02:37 AM
but the human referee error aspect of the game is becoming ridiculous.

Very ridiculous. Had the refs decided this game tonight, I would have said f*** the NFL and go watch tennis or something. As it was, the refs sucked tonight, but since we both had calls go our way, I guess no harm no foul.

ricksteelers55
01-19-2009, 03:42 AM
yeah but let's be honnest they also missed a big one on the roughing the kicker ...Berger wasnt even touched

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-19-2009, 04:24 AM
7. Bruce Arians is still predictable to an extent. Running game was not working, yet let's try run run pass???? I know many back him up, but look at it this way, does anyone see coachless teams lining up to talk to him and try to take him away? I don't lol..

Great point :applaudit:

Preacher
01-19-2009, 04:38 AM
I think it was Santo that got interfered with and it was a non call.

Go back and watch those again (or wait for it on NFL channel)...

Santo didn't get the call because he was actually doing quite a bit of pushing himself.

On the first call against the Steelers, it was pretty ticky-tack, but he DID have his arm on the guy's waste. So it WAS called rightly according to the rules, but it probably should have been allowed *I think the punt penalty was probably a make call*

On the second. . . Well, Ike was competely guilty. You have to turn around and play the ball... Ike just stared the receiver in teh face and threw up his hands.

MJ5150
01-19-2009, 04:46 AM
As for the questionable calls.....don't forget that this was the last game for the ref tonight, he was retiring after this game. You think he cared if he blew any calls? They couldn't fire him or give him a demotion. :chuckle:

-Mike

steelers2685
01-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Preach, I know Ike was guilty. The one I'm talking about is where our DB's arm appeared to be wrapped around the receiver but it was just grazing him not interfering his route at all. Know which one I mean?

Either way, ref calls aside, our boys have truly stepped up to the challenge in these last two weeks. I am thrilled we didn't end up with the #1 seed in the end, and I am THRILLED Mr. Mike "The Sheriff" Tomlin is our leader.

Does anyone else miss Joey Porter's emotion though?? I do :(

cubanstogie
01-19-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm an avid, die hard, lose your voice at home type of Steeler fan. Here are my thoughts on the game:

2. I don't know about you guys, but I cannot stand listening to guys with the likes of Phil Simms, Jim Nance, Cris Collinsworth, or Boomer Esiason calling games. Instead, I turn it on DVE and listen to Hillgrove and Tunch calling the game. I yelled countless time about Harrison not getting holding penalties called on the guy guarding him. How many of these per game are these refs going to allow happen? It looks to me like he had quite a slump in productivity since that game versus the Titans simply because these guys are getting him stopped by holding him. Yes he is a beast, but it does play a role in getting to the quarterback nonetheless.

3. Limas Limas Limas. Keep in mind we yelled Santoni-NO!!!!!! a number of times during his rookie year and now look at the strides he has made to becoming our top receiver. Give Sweed some time and he will be as if not more productive and involved as Santonio. That hit he had on Corey Ivy, as they discussed on theCooler Talk postgame show, showst he type of player he's going to be - able to forget a huge mistake and come back wanting to make plays to make up for it (not counting the third down conversion catch he had as well). Way to go Limas, I'm behind ya.

4. The secondary REALLY stepped up. Woodley played a heck of a game, but our secondary, having been shaky in years past, is really coming into a zone since this last year. Great job guys.

5. Yes this is a great victory. In my llifetime this will be the third Super Bowl that these guys have made it to. Tonight was the most exciting win. After having so many disappointing Championship games play out over the years, I'm thrilled to see this team make it and THIS IS OUR TIME.

6. Troy Polamalu has been and IS back.... THE best defensive back we've had since the days of Rod Woodson (who it was neat to see handing the AFC championship trophy to Mr. Rooney).

7. Bruce Arians is still predictable to an extent. Running game was not working, yet let's try run run pass???? I know many back him up, but look at it this way, does anyone see coachless teams lining up to talk to him and try to take him away? I don't lol...

A few afterthoughts.........

- My eyes began scanning the sidelines for Daniel Sepulveda to throw on a jersey, hobble out onto the field with a crutch in hand, and still boot it farther than Mitch Berger :doh:.

- Kurt Warner should have won the MVP this year.

- Pray for Willis McGahee, as he is a terrific player (Raven or not) and the hit he took was very serious.

- Do you think Ryan Clark cares he's going to get a $25k thousand fine? I think he'll take that and receive a fumble in return that assured our place in Super Bowl XLIII! :tt02:

- LET'S HOPE THE REFS ARE BETTER IN THE SUPER BOWL! :tt03:

I agree about the TD reception, it reminded me of the Polamalu INT against Manning in 2005 that was negated. How many steps do you have to take for it to be control. That was a joke.
I disagree about Arians, except for the 3rd and 1 empty backfield I thought he did a good job. We couldn't abandon the run against the Ravens, we knew it would be tough. If they thought we were passing every down they would have teed off on Ben.I like the roll out then pass to Nate early in game, I was pumped. We missed a lot of opportunities to score Sweeds drop and clock running out. Arians can't be blamed for that. Yesterday could have been a laugher if we could have converted a few important plays. But they have a great D so I give them some credit. Arians has huge confidence in Ben and it payed off yesterday, our running game was non existent and it took a nearly perfect game from Ben to win. Forced one in end zone broken up by Ike taylor oops I mean Sweed . tough to tell the difference between the two.
I seem to be the only one who actually likes Nantz and Simms, I had no problem listening to them.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Bruce Arians is still predictable to an extent. ... does anyone see coachless teams lining up to talk to him and try to take him away? I don't lol...

I don't think they can talk with Arians until the Steelers are finished with the playoffs.

Super Bowl Bound BABY !!!!