PDA

View Full Version : Whisenhunt gets Super Bowl opponent wish

mesaSteeler
01-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Whisenhunt gets Super Bowl opponent wish
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2009/01/18/20090118spt-cardpitt.html
by Mark Faller - Jan. 18, 2009 10:30 PM
The Arizona Republic

There was no "we don't care who we play" stuff from Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt. His roots in Pittsburgh run too deep, and he got his wish when the Steelers held off Baltimore Ravens on Sunday for the AFC title.

"Obviously, that organization and the people associated with it hold a special place in my heart. From that standpoint, this is something of a dream scenario for me and many of the other coaches on our staff. I'm happy for Mr. (Dan) Rooney, Coach (Mike) Tomlin and their entire organization. We're looking forward to a great matchup in Tampa."

Whisenhunt spent six seasons with the Steelers before coming to Arizona in 2007 and was coach Bill Cowher's offensive coordinator when the Steelers won Super Bowl XL in Detroit.

Whisenhunt was a candidate for the Steelers' top job when Cowher retired after the 2006 season, but Pittsburgh opted for Tomlin.

Eight of Whisenhunt's assistants - Russ Grimm, Todd Haley, Teryl Austin, Bill Davis, John Lott, Mike Miller, Matt Raich and Kevin Spencer - have Pittsburgh connections.

Arizona defeated the Steelers 21-14 the most-recent time they met, 2007 in Glendale.

T Bradshaw
01-18-2009, 11:59 PM
dream scenario
Lets make it a nightmare for Whiz

Polamalu43
01-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Hopefully he can lay down so we can win our 6th.. LOL jk nah but i miss the WIZ though.. i just don't wish him well against us !!

T Bradshaw
01-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks
Keep posting these kinds of articles from AZ papers
They could be bulletin board material

DJ919
01-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Ha, The Ravens "Wished" For Us as well...Whiz, Careful what you Wish for ...:helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet: ...Heard there's GOOD Bird Hunting In Tampa..

mesaSteeler
01-19-2009, 12:08 AM
I expect he will use at least one gadget play against us.

Whiz and Grim obviously know the Steeler offense well and that will give them an advantage. How well do you think that LaBeau knows how Whiz thinks? How much, if at all, do the offensive and defensive coordinators interact during game planing through out a season?

I must admit I am concerned on how much inside knowledge their coaching staff has about our Steelers.

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 12:13 AM
I remember an interview Bradshaw did years ago regarding SB XIV. He struggled against the Rams quite a bit in that game (3 picks), and mentioned it had a lot to do with Bud Carson being the Rams' DC at the time - before that, Carson was our DC. Food for thought.

msafford
01-19-2009, 12:14 AM

Whiz and Grim obviously know the Steeler offense well and that will give them an advantage. How well do you think that LaBeau knows how Whiz thinks? How much, if at all, do the offensive and defensive coordinators interact during game planing through out a season?

I must admit I am concerned on how much inside knowledge their coaching staff has about our Steelers.

I'm not TOO terribly worried. I guess I look at it from the standpoint that the current Steelers offense isn't a whole lot like Whiz's offense from a few years ago. Plus...(IMO) Grimm just strikes me as a big dumbass. (sorry...he just does.)

Preacher
01-19-2009, 12:14 AM

I have been thinking about that . . .

Who exactly do they know? They don't really know Starks as LT, they don't know Kemo as a LG, Hartwig has never played against them. Stapleton is new for them, Colon is known.

Santo has come into his own as has Washington. Roethlisberger is a much better QB maturity wise.

So I am not as worried about it.

On D, we really have changed how we play D. It is more a straight up mugging now then it used to be.

T Bradshaw
01-19-2009, 12:15 AM

I am concerned too

mesaSteeler
01-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Thanks
Keep posting these kinds of articles from AZ papers
They could be bulletin board material

Well since I live Arizona that will not be a problem. Living here during the next two weeks is going to be interesting to say the least since I am a proud Steeler fan and I often wear my colors.

Don't expect to much from Cardinal fans. They are extremely ignorant and have a continent sized inferiority chip on their shoulders. They hate us because we would invade their stadium whenever the Steelers played here. The vast majority of them are just bandwagon fans. They are actually worse than Bungle fans.

I try and be gentle with them because they are Super bowl virgins but they do try my patience.

stlrtruck
01-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Heard there's GOOD Bird Hunting In Tampa..

This time of year with the clear skies and warm afternoons, you get some pretty good shots!!! :tt03:

doubleOcards
01-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Don't expect to much from Cardinal fans. They are extremely ignorant and have a continent sized inferiority chip on their shoulders. They hate us because we would invade their stadium whenever the Steelers played here. The vast majority of them are just bandwagon fans. They are actually worse than Bungle fans.

We have one of the larger fan bases right now. Our time is now!

LET"S GO CARDS!!! WOO HOO!! :applaudit:

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 12:42 AM

Yep, that's why the NFL had to grant you two extensions to avert a TV blackout of your WC game at home, right? :coffee:

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-19-2009, 12:43 AM

Everyone I would like you to introduce you to our first ever Cardinals Troll

doubleOcards
01-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Yep, that's why the NFL had to grant you two extensions to avert a TV blackout of your WC game at home, right?

Every team gets the extensions, the Cards got the publicity of the extension because of the playoff scenario.

We sold out NFC title tickets in six minutes - what does that tell ya? :flap:

Sharkissle29
01-19-2009, 12:51 AM
Everyone I would like you to introduce you to our first ever Cardinals Troll

LOL

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 12:51 AM

It tells me a bunch of people jumped on that bandwagon over the last 3 weeks.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/wagon01.jpg

Sharkissle29
01-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Every team gets the extensions, the Cards got the publicity of the extension because of the playoff scenario.

ticket brokers were trying to make some dough

doubleOcards
01-19-2009, 12:56 AM
ticket brokers were trying to make some dough

It was all Card fans that ate them up. There were maybe about 2,500 Eagle fans at the game, if that.

This team is playing lights out, hell God is on their side. If you saw Warner's postgame, he praised God all night. And yes there are circumstances even the Steelers can't control, we have God on our side, this is the Lord's team.

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 12:58 AM
It was all Card fans that ate them up. There were maybe about 2,500 Eagle fans at the game, if that.

This team is playing lights out, hell God is on their side. If you saw Warner's postgame, he praised God all night. And yes there are circumstances even the Steelers can't control, we have God on our side, this is the Lord's team.

Yeah, right. We just beat "God's linebacker's" team too. :coffee:

Time to take out the trash. I didn't expect the bullshit to start until tomorrow at least.

X-Terminator
01-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Yep, I think this one's headed for the bozo bin after less than an hour.

God's team? Are you f'ing serious??? Did you even know you HAD a team 3 weeks ago? How about after they lost 47-3 to the Pats*?

Give me a break.

Cards29
01-19-2009, 01:02 AM
Yep, I think this one's headed for the bozo bin after less than an hour.

God's team? Are you f'ing serious??? Did you even know you HAD a team 3 weeks ago? How about after they lost 47-3 to the Pats*?

Give me a break.

We lost to the Patriots in a meaningless game for us, while the Pats had everything to play for. Not to mention the game was in the snow when we're a warm weather team.

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-19-2009, 01:03 AM

Righhhhht?? :screwy:

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 01:04 AM
We lost to the Patriots in a meaningless game for us, while the Pats had everything to play for. Not to mention the game was in the snow when we're a warm weather team.

Sorry, nice try. But that still doesn't explain getting punked to the tune of 40 points. :coffee:

MACH1
01-19-2009, 01:05 AM

That division you play in is meaningless. About as bad as the AFCW.

steelwall
01-19-2009, 01:06 AM
I think it could work more in our favor than many think. Seems our organization knows this man and the other one 'Grimm' probably more than they know about what Tomlin's team is going to do. Alot has changed here since he left, I really don't see it as much of a factor.

Cards29
01-19-2009, 01:07 AM
That division you play in is meaningless. About as bad as the AFCW.
Oh well. We're in the Super Bowl out of that division, so I don't think you can say it's the worst division if the best team out of the NFC is coming from there..

Crushzilla
Get used to it.

We're going to be the "bad guy" for two weeks.

Cards29
Sorry, nice try. But that still doesn't explain getting punked to the tune of 40 points. :coffee:

That is true :laughing: , but I'm just saying...we really had ZERO, ZIP, NADA to play for that afternoon.

MACH1
01-19-2009, 01:08 AM
Oh well. We're in the Super Bowl out of that division, so I don't think you can say it's the worst division if the best team out of the NFC is coming from there..

Thats what the charger fans said. :rolleyes:

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 01:09 AM

If you were in our division, you wouldn't have even sniffed the postseason. :coffee:

MACH1
01-19-2009, 01:11 AM
If you were in our division, you wouldn't have even sniffed the postseason. :coffee:

They'd be lumped in there with the bungals and clowns. :chuckle:

X-Terminator
01-19-2009, 01:12 AM

So basically, it's going to be 2 weeks of regurgitating the same tired arguments that the Chargers fans said before the game last week.

Joy. :coffee:

GodofGridiron
01-19-2009, 01:28 AM
I think it could work more in our favor than many think. Seems our organization knows this man and the other one 'Grimm' probably more than they know about what Tomlin's team is going to do. Alot has changed here since he left, I really don't see it as much of a factor.

I agree totally. This "familiarity" concept is already being spewed in Cards forums. I dont think it will have much bearing on the game anyways. But it will be overplayed the next two weeks.

Cards29
01-19-2009, 01:29 AM

Chargers aren't in the Super Bowl..

We went through 3 pretty good teams.

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 01:31 AM
Chargers aren't in the Super Bowl..

We went through 3 pretty good teams.

:cookie:

Blitzberg06
01-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Hopefully he can lay down so we can win our 6th.. LOL jk nah but i miss the WIZ though.. i just don't wish him well against us !!

I miss em too..I don't care much for Bruce lol

SteelCurtain7
01-19-2009, 01:46 AM

Be very careful, invoking the Almighty for your team. Ben Roethlisberger is also a Christian (Troy Polamalu may be one as well). God doesn't play favorites here, so knock off the NFL Theocratic Movement. Thank you.

Edman
01-19-2009, 01:52 AM
Hours into the two week wait and we already have two Cardinals trolls.

May as well get used to it. The Steelers will be the villain in this Super Bowl.

ricksteelers55
01-19-2009, 03:45 AM
Whiz has already won his superbowl...bringing the organisation to the unthinkable ...He's a great coach,we could have had a great coach...instead we have the perfect coach !!!

Nice job in AZ whiz....

we love you Mike !!!