PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers vs. America.

Edman
01-19-2009, 02:44 AM
The Cardinals are the prime definition of the underdog. The sports world loves the classic Cinderella story. The Cardinals with a history of losing appearing in their first Super Bowl against the franchise who was once in their same position back in the 1970's, now a spectacular juggernaut franchise vying for a sixth Super Bowl Championship.

David vs. Goliath. Don't be surprised if you see a large concentration of people jumping on the Cardinals bandwagon. The media will play up the strife between Ben and Whiz, and even go so far to say that Whiz or Grimm were the better choices at coach, how the Rooneys jilted them out of a HC job, and how Whiz'll make the Steelers regret it or something like that.

Even though the Steelers are favored, the Cardinals will be the sweetheart. The Steelers will be the bad guy.

Which reminds me, welcome Cardinals trolls. Two more weeks until you go back crawling under that rock you came from.

TeeJay
01-19-2009, 03:40 AM
But this time Goliath has a Nation behind him......and no ordinary one....this is a Steeler Nation.

And Steeler Nation laughs in the face of the media and all their suck-up jack offs.

RavensD
01-19-2009, 03:50 AM
I would love to see Warner/Fitz/Boldin win a SB. Not because of the underdog storyline, but because I think they are insanely talented and are class people.

I just don't see it happening. Pittsburgh is too good to let this one get away.

Preacher
01-19-2009, 03:52 AM
I would love to see Warner/Fitz/Boldin win a SB. Not because of the underdog storyline, but because I think they are insanely talented and are class people.

I just don't see it happening. Pittsburgh is too good to let this one get away.

Thanks.

But I'll say this much, it is always tough. ANy given sunday. And they didn't make the SB by accident.

meelanova
01-19-2009, 03:55 AM
LOL its already happening. PS are the underdogs by 6 last line I saw. Hell, some are picking the Cards because they dont wanna see us win our 6th SB.

Crushzilla
01-19-2009, 04:00 AM
No doubt. As I said earlier: be prepared to be the bad guys.

And after the game, it will be how the referees handed the Super Bowl to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

It wasn't until this year that I really figured out how to deal with it.

There's nothing you can do; people hate the Steelers. Other fans can't stand to see their team get the shit knocked out of them, so the Steelers are a dirty football team. That's the logical correlation, apparently.

For example, everyone will be calling for a Ryan Clark Super Bowl suspension. If he plays, he plays (I hope he does), but fans of the other 31 teams will feel like justice has been served if he does sit out. If he isn't suspended then the league is "handing the Steelers the Super Bowl."

Kind of screwed either way.

I basically stopped reading the troll threads, stopped trying to argue with other fans, and stopped getting fired up at the television. I know who the best team in football is.

Everyone else can just pretend it's their team.

jcdavey08
01-19-2009, 04:01 AM
i think it is going to be you guys vs the world, i been checking out other forums including my own (chargers.com) and alot of people vaginas got all bent outta shape by that perfectly legal hit clark laid on mcgahee

everyone's crying about it, pretty funny

i think regardless of who wins the sb , it's a great story

you got a never was team, vs a guy whose battered bruised, and just got back to the top after his motorcycle accident

then you've got wisenhunt vs tomlin

this is going to be a great game to watch, i don't see why people are hating on this matchup.

jcdavey08
01-19-2009, 04:03 AM
LOL its already happening. PS are the underdogs by 6 last line I saw. Hell, some are picking the Cards because they dont wanna see us win our 6th SB.
steelers are -7 in vegas

if you saw a steelers +6 line, i submit that you are drunk lol

JackHammer
01-19-2009, 04:07 AM
I'd be pissed if Clark was suspended. Yes, it was a helmet to helmet hit, BUT Clark led with his shoulder and Willis lowered his head. It was incidental and nothing should be done.

tony hipchest
01-19-2009, 04:08 AM
edman, i dont know what the hell you are talking about.

steelers are americas team and most talking heads will be picking them.

sleep well.

jcdavey08
01-19-2009, 04:09 AM
I'd be pissed if Clark was suspended. Yes, it was a helmet to helmet hit, BUT Clark led with his shoulder and Willis lowered his head. It was incidental and nothing should be done.clark did everything right on that hit, how's he supposed to control where the rb sticks his stupid fn head after he loads up his own shoulder

i guarantee he won't be suspended or fined, it's football for christ' sake

Crushzilla
01-19-2009, 04:27 AM
edman, i dont know what the hell you are talking about.

steelers are americas team and most talking heads will be picking them.

sleep well.

The Cardinals improbable run will surely be consuming a majority of the limelight.

clark did everything right on that hit, how's he supposed to control where the rb sticks his stupid fn head after he loads up his own shoulder

I would like to agree, but the current administration has thrown the "it's football" rationale out the window.

ricksteelers55
01-19-2009, 04:32 AM
but let's be realistic of all the teams in the NFC the team that are probably the toughest opponent might be the Cards.

Whiz & Grimms know our weaknesses and our strengths so they will attack it.

we lost last year in AZ so let's get our re-match in big T

Im not going to take the cards lightly....they are in the SB for a reason,so we need to be ready

gl to both teams

markymarc
01-19-2009, 09:24 AM
No doubt the media will be all over the Cardinals. They will be the media darlings for the next 2 weeks. Let us be the under dogs because we seem to perform much better in that role. Bring on the Cardinals.

kittenfantastico76
01-19-2009, 09:31 AM

And after the game, it will be how the referees handed the Super Bowl to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

There's nothing you can do; people hate the Steelers. Other fans can't stand to see their team get the shit knocked out of them, so the Steelers are a dirty football team. That's the logical correlation, apparently.

For example, everyone will be calling for a Ryan Clark Super Bowl suspension. If he plays, he plays (I hope he does), but fans of the other 31 teams will feel like justice has been served if he does sit out. If he isn't suspended then the league is "handing the Steelers the Super Bowl."

I basically stopped reading the troll threads, stopped trying to argue with other fans, and stopped getting fired up at the television. I know who the best team in football is.

I was already under the impression we were the bad guys, it was our title in the NFL or something ;) (I've been dealing with Ravens fans in my ear all night and all AM)... :banging:

I too hope Clark won't be suspended, but I could go on for hours about the topic of what everyone (Ravens fans) are calling a "Cheap Shot"

86WARD
01-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Clark won't be suspended.

1. It was a clean hit...shoulder hit first followed by helmet contact.

2. It wasn't a flagrant helmet-to-helmet.

86WARD
01-19-2009, 09:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGRFqOipcTg&eurl=http://gridironfans.com/forums/afc-north-discussion/86094-should-ryan-clark-suspended-helmet-helmet-hit.html&feature=player_embedded

Hines4ever
01-19-2009, 09:44 AM
The Cardinals are the prime definition of the underdog. The sports world loves the classic Cinderella story. The Cardinals with a history of losing appearing in their first Super Bowl against the franchise who was once in their same position back in the 1970's, now a spectacular juggernaut franchise vying for a sixth Super Bowl Championship.

David vs. Goliath. Don't be surprised if you see a large concentration of people jumping on the Cardinals bandwagon. The media will play up the strife between Ben and Whiz, and even go so far to say that Whiz or Grimm were the better choices at coach, how the Rooneys jilted them out of a HC job, and how Whiz'll make the Steelers regret it or something like that.

Even though the Steelers are favored, the Cardinals will be the sweetheart. The Steelers will be the bad guy.

Which reminds me, welcome Cardinals trolls. Two more weeks until you go back crawling under that rock you came from.

Although I agree with this....I also believe that a lot of attention may be on the Steelers as well for possibly getting the 6th SB.....which no other franchise has done.....
Anyone agree?:tt02:

AllD
01-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Put a pink dress on Warner and red panties on Fitz. Take them to the game in a horse and carriage which will turn into a pumpkin by halftime.

It's a repeat of the 1979 SB against the Rams and throw some Seahawk flash into the mix.

Michael Keller
01-19-2009, 10:26 AM

Crush

I have a lot of respect for your opinion but I can tell you that in the Sacramento area the Pittsburgh Steelers are at least respected immensly and more often well liked if not beloved.

In 49er and Raider country we have a significant number of Steeler fans in this locale. Most of them born and raised in Sacramento and Northern California. Reasons are --Love their style of play, class organization they have no problems child or children, I remember Franco, Rocky, lambert , Bradshaw , Mean Joe , et al, loved seeing the fans and the twriling terrible towel. Everything we love about the Steelers they also love.

Saturday night I went grocery shopping and I wore my Steeler fleece and Steeler cap.
Within the one hour I was in the store, 6 strangers in the store came over to me and make comments like , I love the Steelers, I think you guys are going to beat Baltimore. How is Ben's head? a guy from Green Bay said the Steelers were his second favorite team. and on the way out some young guy yells really loud "go Steelers get number 6". When I got in my car to go home I was so jacked up that the spirit of these people carried over within me into game day.

If I had to guess the respect and affinity for the Steelers is nation wide.

Now comes along a true "David" underdog that yes many many fans will line up with. No doubt and we will hear " I am rooting for the Cardinals because they have never won a Super Bowl. When I go shopping the Saturday before the Super Bowl I expect to hear this. In fact i am going to wear my Steeler garbs every day for the next two weeks and see what kind of reaction I get.

The Steelers are who they are. They have a great positive image. I even hear Deon Sanders and Rich Eisen speaking in awe and respect for the Steeler way. The Steelers keep doing what they have done since the days of Chuck Noll they will be well thought of and beloved.

We will not be the bad guy in my opinion. There are too many good stories to talk about in this game and these teams to label the Steelers the bad guys.

In short the Steelers are really the closest thing to America's team. When they win number 6 that will just elevate them further.
Most people like a winner. A classy winner.

revefsreleets
01-19-2009, 10:29 AM
The people who jump on the Cards bandwagon are the same people who just hate on us anyway. We are NOT hated like the Pats are, for several reasons:

-We don't cheat
-The organization exudes class top-to-bottom
-We win (and lose) with dignity
-We earn respect every year

Steelercrazy
01-19-2009, 10:38 AM
I never fail to notice how much "lack of credit" the Steelers are given on any sports show, sports network. What is the reason for that?

I think it's because they don't "put themselves in the media" with a lot of legal troubles, bad attitudes, disgruntled players, and other drama. Maybe the outsiders just don't think we're exciting enough. But, we WIN!

We deserve to be in the Super Bowl with the toughest schedule this year, overcoming injuries, awesome comebacks in several games.

It's funny, 'cause I live in Eagle country and all the Eagle fans were talking a lot of trash before the games. If the Steelers lost, my phone would have been ringing off the hook. I didn't hear from anybody! GO STEELERS!

:tt::tt::tt::tt::tt:

SteelersMongol
01-19-2009, 10:49 AM

Yeah, just like how they loved the Seahawks in 2005.

SteelersinCA
01-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Let us be the bad guy, I relish it and so does the team apparently!!

CPanther95
01-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Don't forget that the title of "America's Team" was given to the Cowboys for their NFL Films season highlight reel - for a season that ended with a loss to a much more popular Steelers team.

When asked if the Steelers shouldn't have the title of "America's Team", Art Rooney said no, we are "Pittsburgh's Team".

I'm with Art. More Americans may love "Pittsburgh's Team" than the Cowboys, but that doesn't make us "America's Team". Cowboys can have that self-appointed title, I don't want it.

HometownGal
01-19-2009, 10:54 AM
this is going to be a great game to watch, i don't see why people are hating on this matchup.

Most fans of other teams are hating on this matchup because of several reasons.

(1) The Steelers, though represented by millions all across the planet, are the "anti-Christ" of all of the other teams in the NFL. We have one of the classiest, if not THE classiest, ownerships along with a winning tradition going on (with the exception of some of the lean 80's seasons) for a span of almost 35 years. While that is indeed something to be extremely proud of as a Steelers fan, it grates the azzes of fans of other teams.

(2) We hear the cries and moans about our D taking "cheap shots" and being dirty, rotten scoundrels. Last I knew, football is a physical sport and neither Mike Tomlin or Dick Lebeau run with the cheap shot/dirty play mentality. They are both huge supporters of tough, physical, smack you in the mouth football. Kevin Colbert has been outstanding in securing (and holding on to) outstanding players over the years, and the Steelers consistently pad their D with the most talented and physical players available to them, whether it be a first rounder or a tenth rounder. The Steelers do their homework and then some. We are extremely blessed in that regard.

(3) The haters are fans of other teams who wish their team was as well-rounded and as well coached as the Steelers are. For every player of ours that they bash, they'd love to have that player representing their team.

(4) The Steelers have the opportunity to make history with a win in XLIII as the first team ever to win 6 Lombardi trophies. I'm sure Cryboys and Niners fans lead the pack of haters going into this game.

Crushzilla
01-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Crush

I have a lot of respect for your opinion but I can tell you that in the Sacramento area the Pittsburgh Steelers are at least respected immensly and more often well liked if not beloved.

In 49er and Raider country we have a significant number of Steeler fans in this locale. Most of them born and raised in Sacramento and Northern California. Reasons are --Love their style of play, class organization they have no problems child or children, I remember Franco, Rocky, lambert , Bradshaw , Mean Joe , et al, loved seeing the fans and the twriling terrible towel. Everything we love about the Steelers they also love.

Saturday night I went grocery shopping and I wore my Steeler fleece and Steeler cap.
Within the one hour I was in the store, 6 strangers in the store came over to me and make comments like , I love the Steelers, I think you guys are going to beat Baltimore. How is Ben's head? a guy from Green Bay said the Steelers were his second favorite team. and on the way out some young guy yells really loud "go Steelers get number 6". When I got in my car to go home I was so jacked up that the spirit of these people carried over within me into game day.

If I had to guess the respect and affinity for the Steelers is nation wide.

Now comes along a true "David" underdog that yes many many fans will line up with. No doubt and we will hear " I am rooting for the Cardinals because they have never won a Super Bowl. When I go shopping the Saturday before the Super Bowl I expect to hear this. In fact i am going to wear my Steeler garbs every day for the next two weeks and see what kind of reaction I get.

The Steelers are who they are. They have a great positive image. I even hear Deon Sanders and Rich Eisen speaking in awe and respect for the Steeler way. The Steelers keep doing what they have done since the days of Chuck Noll they will be well thought of and beloved.

We will not be the bad guy in my opinion. There are too many good stories to talk about in this game and these teams to label the Steelers the bad guys.

In short the Steelers are really the closest thing to America's team. When they win number 6 that will just elevate them further.
Most people like a winner. A classy winner.

Well put, and in many ways I agree.

I've probably just been surrounding myself around the wrong people.

Also, whenever you have an organization with a huge fan-base (or at least.. respect-base) you're going to have bitter people. This is true in other sports, as well.

Maybe I'll check out ESPN this week, and see how it's being presented.

OX1947
01-19-2009, 11:50 AM
I'd be pissed if Clark was suspended. Yes, it was a helmet to helmet hit, BUT Clark led with his shoulder and Willis lowered his head. It was incidental and nothing should be done.

Actually, he lead with his shoulder. Helmets hitting was just momentum going forward.

Crushzilla
01-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Well.

For example.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/steeler-nazis.jpg

steelreserve
01-19-2009, 12:02 PM
I don't think you'll see much in favor of the Cardinals. It's not possible to be more bandwagon than a bandwagon Cardinals fan, and everyone knows it. Even most of their regular fans are bandwagon fans. They didn't even have a good season this year. So if you suddenly come out rooting for the Cardinals now, you're going to look like a jerk and no one is going to take you seriously.

Dino 6 Rings
01-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Put it in perspective. We HIT TOO HARD

We already have a SB this decade. We have the young hot coach who "stole" the job from the Arizona coach (even if Cowher did advise the Rooney's to look outside the team). We have the #1 Defense, we wear Black, we are mean, relentless and down right nasty.

We don't have the aging Veteran QB that is a "good story" and potential "Hall of Famer". We don't have the hot young WR that is the talk of the town. We don't have the "Shock The World" Motto up in our Stadium. We are expected to win, we are the favorites, have been since the Titans got knocked out, we have been successful even with the toughest schedule in football. We have the players everyone loves to hate, Clark, Ward, Ben, Parker, we have the meanest linebackers in the game, we aren't flashy, we are just Brutal.

We are the Bad Guys. I've been saying it since the playoffs started.

Crushzilla
01-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Put it in perspective. We HIT TOO HARD

We already have a SB this decade. We have the young hot coach who "stole" the job from the Arizona coach (even if Cowher did advise the Rooney's to look outside the team). We have the #1 Defense, we wear Black, we are mean, relentless and down right nasty.

We don't have the aging Veteran QB that is a "good story" and potential "Hall of Famer". We don't have the hot young WR that is the talk of the town. We don't have the "Shock The World" Motto up in our Stadium. We are expected to win, we are the favorites, have been since the Titans got knocked out, we have been successful even with the toughest schedule in football. We have the players everyone loves to hate, Clark, Ward, Ben, Parker, we have the meanest linebackers in the game, we aren't flashy, we are just Brutal.

We are the Bad Guys. I've been saying it since the playoffs started.

+1.

I'm alright with embracing a little bad guy in this is increasingly Hugs and Kisses world.

After all... it's a violent game. Shouldn't the bad guys be favored :noidea:

steelreserve
01-19-2009, 12:41 PM
(4) The Steelers have the opportunity to make history with a win in XLIII as the first team ever to win 6 Lombardi trophies. I'm sure Cryboys and Niners fans lead the pack of haters going into this game.

I don't think Niners fans are very upset about that. They're too downtrodden.

Mostly, they just look at teams like the Steelers and think, "Aww, man. I wish we could play defense. And also offense."

Steely McSmash
01-19-2009, 12:50 PM
.... We have the young hot coach who "stole" the job from the Arizona coach ...

If I recall correctly, Whis left before the interview process was complete. I thought he had a much better chance than Grimm what with the inconsistent performance from Grimm's line.

steelreserve
01-19-2009, 12:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGRFqOipcTg&eurl=http://gridironfans.com/forums/afc-north-discussion/86094-should-ryan-clark-suspended-helmet-helmet-hit.html&feature=player_embedded

Also, thank you for posting this. I barely remembered that play at all, thanks to malt liquor.

crosby87penguins
01-19-2009, 01:00 PM
There are a LOT of idiots on the espn NFL board... this fool thinks the Steelers blitz has no chance against Warner and that the Cardinals will put up 34 points on the steelers
http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sType=mbread&tid=4171313&tsn=&st=1&sport=nfl&id=general

#1LambertFan
01-19-2009, 02:07 PM
clark did everything right on that hit, how's he supposed to control where the rb sticks his stupid fn head after he loads up his own shoulder

Clark didnt even hit. He ran and came to almost a complete stop when the contact came. It was McGahee's momentum that hurt himself. I wish the guy the best but the injury was mostly his fault.