PDA

View Full Version : Ward: "It's just a Sprained Knee"

redst3
01-19-2009, 06:06 AM
Moderators, you may need to merge this thread. I just thought it would be helpful.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2009/01/19/ward_takes_the_cautious_route/

AFC NOTEBOOK
Ward takes the cautious route
He doesn't return after knee injury
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff | January 19, 2009

PITTSBURGH - Steelers receiver Hines Ward left last night's AFC Championship game in the first quarter with a right knee injury and didn't return, but he said he doesn't envision the injury keeping him out of Super Bowl XLIII.

"I will play," Ward said in the victorious locker room. "I'll be there - through, rain, sleet, or snow."

Ward expects to undergo an MRI this week and indicated that he could have returned to last night's physical battle against the Ravens.

"It's just a sprained knee," he said. "They said it's nothing structurally. I was going to come back, but I didn't want to come back at 75 or 80 percent. It gave an opportunity for other guys to step up and they did that."

On facing the Cardinals, whom oddsmakers have made early 6 1/2-point underdogs, Ward said, "Kurt Warner, I think, is really a difference-maker for that team. I think he's found his niche there. He's playing phenomenal and it doesn't hurt when you have the greatest wideout in the league today, [Larry] Fitzgerald, to bail you out on some of the plays. And they're playing great team defense. It's going to be a tough matchup, for both teams."

Good to know he will be there "through rain, sleet or snow." I know sleet and snow is common in Tampa.:chuckle:

stlrtruck
01-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Good to know he will be there "through rain, sleet or snow." I know sleet and snow is common in Tampa.:chuckle:

Hey, it's done it before back in the 70's! It could do it again - just for us Steelers fans!!!! :rofl:

redst3
01-19-2009, 06:52 AM
It's easy to laugh at it because Hines is going to be OK!

Tagg67
01-19-2009, 06:52 AM
I am a huge Hines Ward fan and he can come relax at my house when he arrives in Tampa if he wants to.:tt02:

I pray he heals before the big game. Nothing can stop Hines!

HERE WE GO STEELERS.

CPanther95
01-19-2009, 07:50 AM
He's not allowed anywhere near my house. My wife talks about how cute he is a little too much.

DJ919
01-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Love Ward's attiude...No way he's going to miss this...No way.

Steeldude
01-19-2009, 08:17 AM
i would rather it have been a sprain of his ACL in his left knee instead of anything being wrong with his right knee.

anyone know why?

redst3
01-19-2009, 08:18 AM
i would rather it have been a sprain of his ACL in his left knee instead of anything being wrong with his right knee.

anyone know why?

Tell us why

43Hitman
01-19-2009, 09:11 AM

anyone know why?

I'll take a guess and say that it's because that's his plant leg, since he is right handed.

Steeldude
01-19-2009, 09:23 AM
I'll take a guess and say that it's because that's his plant leg, since he is right handed.

nope. it's because ward does not have an ACL in his left knee.

43Hitman
01-19-2009, 09:34 AM
nope. it's because ward does not have an ACL in his left knee.

:laughing:

kittenfantastico76
01-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Love Ward's attiude...No way he's going to miss this...No way.

Agreed - you could tell it was eating him alive last night to be sitting on the bench, but you could also tell he was looking forward thinking he'd rather play the super bowl game and risk getting back out there on the field. The Ravens had already said he was public enemy number one and they were out to get him, I'm sure they would have only made his knee worse if given the chance. I just love this guy - his heart is probably shaped like a football! :thumbsup:

86WARD
01-19-2009, 09:35 AM
He'll be ready in 2 weeks!!!

HometownGal
01-19-2009, 09:39 AM
I'll be anxiously awaiting his MRI results, but it sounds like Hines is going to be A-OK and ready to rumble on February 1st. :applaudit::hatsoff:

Cute little faux pas - LOL! :chuckle: He's used to Pittsburgh winter weather!

revefsreleets
01-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Yeah, there's no chance Ward mises playing in the SB. I expect him to put up some MVP-type numbers in a big Steeler win and secure his place in Canton.

By the by, he HAS to play. Sweed just isn't up to the task.

devilsdancefloor
01-19-2009, 11:03 AM

anyone know why?

he has no acl

doh! i shouod have gone to the next page

markymarc
01-19-2009, 12:06 PM
I can't wait to hear the results of his MRI, but I have no doubts Ward will be fired up and ready to go in 2 weeks. No way does he miss the biggest game of the year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Man, I am so relieved!! Gonna need everybody in 2 weeks.......especially Hines.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-19-2009, 12:44 PM
CPanther, yours too? WTF is that about?lol Between Ward and Troy it drives me nuts. One game she started this crap and finally she got up and went shopping. Cost me 300 bucks but at least it was quiet, lol

He can still visit, perhaps he needs another wife?lol

Pentheon
01-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Atleast he has 2 weeks to rest it.. I figured hed be ok considering he came back in 1 play later in the game.

#1LambertFan
01-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Snow is unlikely but Florida is known for the hardest rain in the US. Lets hope for some hard rain. We can run the ball and stop the run and the passing game is usually stale in hard rain. Bring on the desert chickens.

redst3
01-20-2009, 04:14 AM
Steelers' Ward has sprained MCL in knee
PITTSBURGH — Steelers receiver Hines Ward has a sprained medial collateral ligament in his right knee.
Ward was scheduled to undergo an MRI on Monday, but the Steelers did not release the results. Coach Mike Tomlin is expected to issue an injury update today.

Thats the latest. We should know something new today

Galax Steeler
01-20-2009, 04:34 AM
It is good to have a player like Ward on the team the man plays hard on every play and come superbowl sunday it will be no different he will be ready to play.

redst3
01-20-2009, 07:49 AM
I've always called him a "Marine," by which i mean he is tough as hell and will go through anything to get the job done. I don't see that changing.

steelpride12
01-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Im sorry, no matter how tough his injury is he will be on that field during the Superbowl. He has such a huge heart for the game and Steelers, and wouldn't miss the biggest game of the year and the ultimate goal!
Like he said in the post game interview this is for the fans and citty of Pittsburgh, and he will make sure of it!

redst3
01-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Yet Another Update...this one is from NFL.com and features Tomlin's remarks pretty much confirming what we already knew...

Ward expected to play with sprained knee
Posted: News | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Hines Ward, Pittsburgh Steelers, Super Bowl XLIII

One key benefit for the Steelers and Cardinals heading into Super Bowl XLIII is each team will have two full weeks to get healthy. For the Steelers, it could mean the difference between having or not having star WR Hines Ward.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin updated Ward’s status on Tuesday, describing his injury as a sprained right knee. Ward, who was injured during the second quarter of the AFC Championship Game and did not return, said immediately following the game (video) he “wouldn’t miss the Super Bowl for anything.”

Tomlin agreed with Ward’s self-assessment on Tuesday.

“In his mind, he’s playing,” Tomlin said. “So chances are, he is. … We’re definitely not going to count him out. We’re going to save a seat on the bus for No. 86.”

The Steelers came out of Sunday’s win in relatively healthy shape. Tomlin said RB Mewelde Moore (sprained right ankle), RG Darnell Stapleton (sprained ankle), LB Patrick Bailey (hamstring strain), C Justin Hartwig (knee) and LT Max Starks (knee sprain) are all expected to play. With two weeks to prepare, several of the players — especially Hartwig — might be limited early during this week’s practices.

Tomlin is keeping the Steelers on their normal routine (video) this week. He met with the Steelers on Monday, and is treating today as a “normal” Tuesday, meaning the players get their customary day off as the coaching staff begins to put together its game plan. The Steelers will hold three days of practices, as well as the usual Saturday walkthrough, and then travel to Tampa on Monday.

revefsreleets
01-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Ward doesn't need to practice to play. He'll be fine.

I'm tellin' ya, Ward is HUGE in postseason (look at his numbers). We've had a couple other guys who played like that and they are both in Canton. Ward needs one more great SB performance and he's a lock.

Fire Haley
01-21-2009, 01:00 AM
More good news

Steelers | Starks should play in Super Bowl
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 14:26:55 -0800

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Pittsburgh Steelers OT Max Starks (knee) should be able to play in Super Bowl XLIII despite suffering a knee sprain during the AFC Championship game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steelers | Stapleton should play in Super Bowl
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 14:23:20 -0800

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Pittsburgh Steelers OG Darnell Stapleton (ankle) should be able to play in Super Bowl XLIII despite suffering an ankle sprain during the AFC Championship game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steelers | Moore should play in Super Bowl
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 14:22:58 -0800

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Pittsburgh Steelers RB Mewelde Moore (ankle) should be able to play in Super Bowl XLIII despite suffering an ankle sprain during the AFC Championship game.

Galax Steeler
01-21-2009, 05:29 AM
This is some good news hopefully all of our players will be ready for the superbowl.

How is Clark is he listed on the injury report he took a hard hit himself.

Boomerang
01-21-2009, 05:53 AM
Hines has the never say die belief you need to inspire and drive the team.He is gonna help to lead us to victory against the Cardinals.:tt02::tt02: