PDA

View Full Version : Steelers notes: Sweed revenge

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Steelers notes: Sweed revenge
By Bill Allmann, Times Sports Correspondent
Published: Monday, January 19, 2009 12:39 AM EST

PITTSBURGH — Steelers rookie wide receiver Limas Sweed was pressed into action late in the first half because of a knee injury to Hines Ward and instantly became his own highlight film.

Fortunately for Sweed, his short highlight film might have been viewed as a tragedy if it wasn’t later overshadowed by the celebration of the 23-14 AFC Championship win over Baltimore.

In the final minute of the first half, he went from nearly anonymous to one of the most talked about players of the season. He went from goat to hero and back again in one minute.

With exactly one minute left in the half, Sweed was wide open down the left sideline and Ben Roethlisberger hit him right on the hands with a sure touchdown pass, but he dropped it. To add insult to injury, he lay on the field long enough to cost the Steelers a timeout before he eventually got to his feet.

“I knew it could be a touchdown from the time it was called from studying film and seeing how they lined up,” said Sweed. “I was just running and I guess I misjudged but I’d rather drop 100 passes and win than catch it and lose. This feels great.”

Just three plays later, though, Sweed got the crowd back on his side with a bone-crushing block on Corey Ivy as Heath Miller gained 21 yards.

“I knew I had to just keep playing and try to stay consistent,” Sweed said. “Ryan Clark came up to me after the block and told me I got the jitters out after the big hit.

“It’s a dream come true winning the AFC championship game.”

Sweed may have settled in after his big shot, but his injury that caused the timeout still proved costly as the half came to an end. The Steelers couldn’t try a short field goal at the end of the half because time ran out and the Steelers had no timeouts left.

The second half was relatively uneventful for the rookie from Texas as Sweed finished with two catches for the game for 20 yards but, as Sweed summed it up, “The biggest thing was just to win.”

PUNTING WOES

Fans are left to only wonder how good the AFC Champions could be if punter Daniel Sepulveda hadn’t been hurt in training camp.

Both Baltimore touchdowns were set up by miscues in the punting game. The first came on a 45-yard punt return by the Ravens’ Jim Leonhard. The second came after a 21-yard punt by Mitch Berger, who replaced Sepulveda, was cut, and re-signed.

STAT STUFF

l Hines Ward’s first reception of the game went for 45 yards after Baltimore’s Ed Reed gambled and went for the interception. The catch put Ward over 1,000 career post-season receiving yards.

l Jeff Reed’s field goal on the same opening drive moved him into fourth place in Steelers’ postseason scoring. The field goal increased Reed’s total to 68 points, surpassing Gary Anderson.

His extra point to open the second quarter tied him with John Stallworth for third place with 72. His third field goal of the game in the third quarter moved him into third place alone. It also tied his career high for field goals in a postseason game. He also had three on Jan. 11, 2003, against Tennessee.

l Troy Polamalu’s interception return was the first interception return by a Pittsburgh Steeler in the postseason.

BAD QUARTER FOR FLACCO

Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco had been given credit for his team’s advance to the AFC Championship game, but his first quarter didn’t reflect that effort.

His quarterback rating was zero (the NFL doesn’t go any lower) after completing one of seven passes for 2 yards and throwing an interception. He was also stopped on a fourth-and-1 sneak at the Pittsburgh 34-yard line.

ATTENDANCE RECORD

The game set an attendance record for the Steelers with a crowd of 65,350. The previous record had been set in the AFC Championship game against New England in January of 2005.

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/01/19/sports/steelers/doc497411cf6822e828840434.txt

AllD
01-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Rookie CB on rookie WR. WE won despite Sweed. His fake injury also cost us a TO which was needed to stop the clock near the end of the half.

His did redeem himself somewhat by stripping the ball on a definite end zone interception and some good hits. However, he is a work in progress and needs to work on his mechanics. Hopefully he breaks out soon before he costs us a crucial game.

KeiselPower99
01-19-2009, 08:45 AM
I cussed him for the drop but when he nailed Ivy I jumped up outta my seat and said all is forgiven.

Justin Otstott
01-19-2009, 09:04 AM
I snapped when sweed dropped that pass...but after that hit I was fine. It was one hell of a game tho and I'm proud to be ready to watch my third steelers superbowl in my lifetime. GO STEELERS.

revefsreleets
01-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Rookie CB on rookie WR. WE won despite Sweed. His fake injury also cost us a TO which was needed to stop the clock near the end of the half.

His did redeem himself somewhat by stripping the ball on a definite end zone interception and some good hits. However, he is a work in progress and needs to work on his mechanics. Hopefully he breaks out soon before he costs us a crucial game.

I'm gonna be even harder on him. That injury was ONLY to his pride, and it did cost us 3 points, but that doesn't make up for the 7 that he cost us by LOOKING AT WHERE THE ENDZONE WAS BEFIRE HE CAUGHT THE PASS!

Nobody has mentioned that, but it's exactly what happened. Dude was jufging how many yards until he could celebrate. That's one degree less egregious in my book than Plax's idiotic spike.

He's in my doghouse over that one.

Hapa
01-19-2009, 09:42 AM
John Stallworth kicked?

BlastFurnace
01-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Sweed has been pathetic this season. His faking an injury only made him look worse.

GodofGridiron
01-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Sweed has dropped by my count, three passes just like the one in yesterdays game. He was wide open in a similar route during preseason when Batch or Dixon hit him right in the hands and he dropped it.

I know there was a problem during camp with his visual accuity where he needed corrective lenses to correct depth perception problems.

revefsreleets
01-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Sweed has dropped by my count, three passes just like the one in yesterdays game. He was wide open in a similar route during preseason when Batch or Dixon hit him right in the hands and he dropped it.

I know there was a problem during camp with his visual accuity where he needed corrective lenses to correct depth perception problems.

Not even Jerry Rice or Fred Biletnikoff are going to catch passes if they are looking into the endzone and not at the ball.

devilsdancefloor
01-19-2009, 10:37 AM
I honestly thin he was looking at the jumbo tron! :noidea::noidea: i have faith in him to turn out to be a good reciever!

MDSteel15
01-19-2009, 10:41 AM
I honestly thin he was looking at the jumbo tron! :noidea::noidea: i have faith in him to turn out to be a good reciever!

When you look at the replay that's exactly what it looks like! If he ever thinks he is going to crack the lineup, he better start mking those catches after Nate is gone! Loved the hit but it didn't make up for the lack of the touchdown we should of had.....

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 10:42 AM
SWEEEEEEEEEED! :chuckle:

revefsreleets
01-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Watch it again. He takes his eyes off the ball and lowers them straight ahead at field level. My guess is he was checking to see how close he was so he could high step or some other kind of shenanigans...

WindyCitySteelerFan
01-19-2009, 10:53 AM
on ESPN highlight, they zoomed in on his face during the drop.. His eyes were somewhere.. else.. certainly not on the ball...

scsteeler
01-19-2009, 10:54 AM
I snapped when sweed dropped that pass...but after that hit I was fine. It was one hell of a game tho and I'm proud to be ready to watch my third steelers superbowl in my lifetime. GO STEELERS.

Had Sweed made 3 more hits like that I would be fine. Sweed is going have to catch those passes. A lot of people were wondering why he is not in the starting line up, well two dropped TD passes in 2 weeks is why. Sweed will get better because I remember when Nate Washington had the same problem but thankfully we kept him and now he is a impact player for us. Sweed will be one day also but for now he is not making the big time plays when needed. I felt he was worried about getting hit instead of catching the ball.

atlsteelers
01-19-2009, 11:00 AM
the droped pass blew but getting up slow and costing us a timeout because your pride was hurt. is what pissed me off.

SteelMember
01-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Watch it again. He takes his eyes off the ball and lowers them straight ahead at field level. My guess is he was checking to see how close he was so he could high step or some other kind of shenanigans...

I think he was looking for the safety.

He may have been thinking TD, but I think he was expecting heavy contact. :noidea:

No excuse. He's gotta catch those.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2009, 11:16 AM
I think he was looking for the safety.

He may have been thinking TD, but I think he was expecting heavy contact. :noidea:

No excuse. He's gotta catch those.

Yeah, that is what Mariucci said last night on NFL network. Gotta catch those, but I have faith in him. He isnt much different than Nate Washington was as a rookie in 2005 and I expect him to be a valuable player for years to come.

revefsreleets
01-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Oh yeah, Simms said that too...they don't want to embarrass the dude.

Why would he look UPFIELD for a safety that would be behind or beside him?

Dude was looking to do some CJ-type celebratory nonsense...

Phade
01-19-2009, 11:24 AM
he was looking at the jumbotron people ..

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Sweed was looking inside to his right and yes, I bet he was looking for Ed Reed to knock his block off.

The kid never looked like a showboat at Texas and I think he was thinking of making the catch and getting in the endzone......when he should have been looking to make the catch and even fall on the 5 yard line.

For a guy with 124 receptions at Texas, he looks like a real green rookie.

SteelMember
01-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Snowflake in the eye. :noidea:

I'm tying to make light of it now, seeing that we won, but I will tell you that I was as pissed as anyone else when it slipped through his fingers.

SWEEEEEEEEED, you SOB!!! :mad:

Hammer Of The GODS
01-19-2009, 11:41 AM
If Hines can't go in the SB and this kid drops another crucial pass he will be hard pressed to gain a single fan in the Steeler Nation.

Big blocks and hard hits aside........ WR need to CATCH 1st and block 2nd. You CAN NOT drop two TD passes in 2 straight playoff games!

UNEXCEPTABLE for a 1st rd talent taken in the 2nd! :mad:

BUT! The kid is real country and maybe he is just got crazy nerves or something. Experience and maturity will fix that, so I will wait for now before I slap a bust tag on him.

public - enemy
01-19-2009, 11:45 AM
The fact is that he costed us a time out because he's was embarrassed and feeling
sorrow for himself with self pity. He should have brushed it off and forgot about it.
For those of you who say he was injured on that play, I say with the way he played
afterwards, he was not hurt. I hope Tomlin calls him into the principals office
and really scolds him.

Sharkissle29
01-19-2009, 11:46 AM
You guys gotta just think he is a "rookie." He is still learning the NFL. Remember when plax spiked the ball when no one even touched him as he fell to the turf and costed us a turnover? He will learn from his mistakes

MaidenIndiana
01-19-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm trying to be positive about him because he is a rookie. However he should have caught that ball. It was right in his hands. How can you throw to a guy after he drops a perfect pass like that?

BehindSteelCurtain
01-19-2009, 11:52 AM
I loved the block.Why? Because he knew he let his team down so instead of watching his RB get hammered, he laid a huge block to help get him a few more yards. Anyother hothead receiver would have just sat there and watched his RB get hammered.

cubanstogie
01-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Nate is laughing all the way to the bank now. Sweed has shown nothing all year and can't be counted on to be third reciever next year. That means Nate will demand more money. Props to Santonio he has turned into a first rate receiver lately.

lilyoder6
01-19-2009, 11:59 AM
after the catch sweed did respond nicely with the big hit and then the crucial 3rd down conversion to keep a drive going late in the game.. seems to me that.. he can catch the hard balls, but when the easy one's are there he just thinks too much...

all of u bitching is stupid.. holmes,washington and ward all of had drops likes these.. it's growing pains the kid still made plays that were crucial to help this team win

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-19-2009, 12:11 PM
I give Berger credit in that game. He punted rather well, take away that one, and also made maybe the best form tackle i've seen, plus a terrific acting job.

PisnNapalm
01-19-2009, 12:30 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/peter_king/01/19/superbowl/corey-ivy-limas-sweed.jpg

SteelCityMom
01-19-2009, 12:47 PM
I was as pissed as anyone when he dropped that pass, but was embarrassed more by how the crowd booed him afterwards....I thought that was just completely uncalled for. He's a rookie and of course he's nervous about having to fill in for an injured Hines in a playoff game nonetheless. I'm sure he got chewed out a bit on the sidelines too. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I hate it when the boo birds come out in situations like that.

He'll get better I'm sure though in the next couple of years. He hasn't gotten a lot of major play time so far this season, so while he may look decent in practice, it's much different when you actually get out there on the field and nerves set in. He'll get there. I loved the block he put on Ivey too, that was great. He made a big play like Ward would have done in that instance which shows me that he IS watching and learning from these guys.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2009, 12:54 PM
I give Berger credit in that game. He punted rather well, take away that one, and also made maybe the best form tackle i've seen, plus a terrific acting job.

Yeah, that was a better dive than Joe Nedney took 5 years ago in Tennesee!!!

revefsreleets
01-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Man, I have no idea where you guys are getting this stuff about looking for Reed or looking at the Jumbotron.

He was running straight down the field and his eyes were at field level and pointed straight ahead. The Jumbotron is NOT at field level and Ed Reed was NOT in front of him, but whatever...

The important thing is that his head was not in the game, and he cost us 7 initially then cost us the compensatory 3 by pouting. The "injury" was super Bush League baby stuff...

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2009, 01:29 PM
NFL Network player correspondent Antwaan Randle El had more interesting observations at halftime of the AFC Championship Game.

Antwaan also said Steelers WR Limas Sweed’s drop of an apparent touchdown pass reminded him of a drop he had in the same end zone — it was a sure TD throw that he didn’t look into his hands. If Sweed was his teammate, Antwaan said, he’d tell him that sort of thing even happened to guys like Jerry Rice early in their careers.

– Vic Carucci is reporting from Heinz Field

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/nfl-network/

billybob
01-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Tomlin said he needs to grow up. You have to make those type of catches.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Tomlin said he needs to grow up. You have to make those type of catches.

No, actually Tomlin said its all part of growing up. Here is the quote.

"I wish he'd just catch the football," Tomlin said. "That's all part of growing up."http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09019/942852-66.stm

billybob
01-19-2009, 03:05 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!

GeneralRobinson
01-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Other than Peter King "supposedly" having insider information, where are the reports on the record regarding Sweed faking his injury? I am not aware of any, and until this can be confirmed on the record, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was legitimately shaken up. It's not right to defame a player and question his toughness when there is nothing to back it up.

Goat of the Week

Limas Sweed, WR, Pittsburgh. The Steelers had a nailbiter in the AFC Championship Game because Sweed, uncovered while sprinting down the left side with one minute left in the first half, dropped a sure touchdown pass, then, for some pathetic reason, dropped to the ground and acted injured. The Steelers had to blow their third timeout because of it, and then missed out on a short field-goal try at the halftime gun because they had run out of clock. "A lot of guys were pretty upset about that,'' linebacker Farrior said. I should hope so.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/01/19/superbowl/2.html

billybob
01-19-2009, 03:15 PM
No, actually Tomlin said its all part of growing up. Here is the quote.

"I wish he'd just catch the football," Tomlin said. "That's all part of growing up."http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09019/942852-66.stm

I don't think i quoted Tomlin, i took what he said and put it in my own words. Still basically says the same thing. Thanks for pickin big fella.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2009, 05:07 PM
I don't think i quoted Tomlin, i took what he said and put it in my own words. Still basically says the same thing. Thanks for pickin big fella.

I wasnt picking, just clarifying. The way you interpreted it, made it sound like Tomlin was calling him out, where the actual quote makes it look like Tomlin believes the drops are an unfortunate part of the growth of a WR.

If my daughter throws a fit because she cant have the car on friday, I can either tell my wife "She needs to grow up." or say "Its all part of growing up"............big difference.