PDA

View Full Version : Woodley comes up big again

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Woodley comes up big again
By Bill Allmann, Times Sports Correspondent
Published: Monday, January 19, 2009 12:39 AM EST

PITTSBURGH — Before the postseason started, questions abounded about Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley. He had been a sack machine in the first half of the season with 9.5 in the first eight games, but had only two in the final eight games.

He regained his touch in the playoff win over San Diego last week with two sacks and gave further proof he was all the way back with another pair of sacks in the 23-14 AFC Championship Game win over Baltimore.

His second sack put Baltimore into a third-and-long situation, and Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco threw the game-deciding interception to Troy Polamalu on the next play.

“I knew that the type of team we had, we could cause mistakes and turnovers,” said Woodley, who finished third on the team with seven tackles but led the Steelers with four quarterback hits. “We wanted to put pressure on them no matter who had the ball, Flacco or whoever.”

For much of the Steelers defense, this will be the second trip to the Super Bowl, winning in 2006. Woodley wasn’t a part of the team then and appreciates the opportunity he has now.

“We get together as linebackers and guys talk about the great experience of playing in a Super Bowl,” Woodley said. “I wasn’t part of that and now I can feel a part.”

Woodley shared his joy by making almost a complete lap of Heinz Field, high-fiving fans in the front row as the trophy presentation platform was being set up.

“Baltimore had a chip on their shoulder,” Woodley said. “But we had one, too, and this game was ratcheted up from the other games we played them.

“It’s just sinking in now that we’re going to the Super Bowl. The regular season is history now. Tomorrow we get back to work because we still have one more game.”

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/01/19/sports/steelers/doc4974116f2651a084253627.txt

KeiselPower99
01-19-2009, 09:35 AM
4 sacks in 2 games 6 in 3 career playoff games...Woodley is a beast.

markymarc
01-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Woodley busted that wall down big time. Four sacks in 2 playoff games. He is on a tear right now. Can't wait to see what kind of damage Woodley and Harrison do against Warner.