PDA

View Full Version : Sick of Refs and Replay over officiating and missing calls.

pghfrank1948
01-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Without the refs the score should have at least 30-6. How could Santonios catch and run three steps with the ball in the crook of his arm be an incomplete pass. Thats BS and the refs have been doing it all year. Even with replay they get it wrong all the time. That roughing call on the punter. bogus!!! It seems like they try to make up for bad calls with other bad calls. I wonder on the thoughts of other fans about the lousy officiating this entire season.

stlrtruck
01-19-2009, 11:22 AM
They're part of the game and I think they've become to dependent on instant reply that they don't even see their own mistakes anymore. The refs need to become Full Time and attend training in the off season to make up for thier lazy efforts. The NFL needs to have a school for refs where they can watch replays of all the prior seasons games and learn from the mistakes of what was or wasn't called.

Steel_Bus_24
01-19-2009, 11:31 AM
We're going to have to go above and beyond in this SB, because of the the horrible misconception that we stole "XL":mad:

I fully expect them to be a major enemy come kickoff

SteelCityMan786
01-19-2009, 11:31 AM
The Roughing the Kicker call was legit. Berger got his butt kicked.

However, yes you are right. The Santonio Holmes Catch was a catch and not incomplete. Contact was made with Santonio when he made the catch, which BY RULE, if he completes the catch, and HE HAS CONTACT MADE WITH HIM, Once a part of his body his the ground HE IS DOWN BY CONTACT and no part of the ground may cause a fumble.

Either way, lets stop whining about the Refs and enjoy the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

Stlrs4Life
01-19-2009, 11:34 AM
That was far from roughing the kicker. The call on Santonio was bogus, and the first PI call was bogus.

Russell-T
01-19-2009, 11:35 AM
How is it possible that Holmes did not catch that ball? How is it possible that there was conclusive evidence to overturn that call? The refs blew the game the Ravens won against Tennessee too. They tried to hand this one to them but Palamalu wasn't having it!!!!!!!!:banging:

peterroach
01-19-2009, 11:36 AM
That was far from roughing the kicker. The call on Santonio was bogus, and the first PI call was bogus.

+1
Berger barely got touched. In fact, I'm pretty sure he stepped on the tackler and got the call. Obviously just zebras making up for stupid calls.

Steel_Bus_24
01-19-2009, 11:38 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PcFtcoo0ic4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PcFtcoo0ic4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SteelMember
01-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Berger did a nice veteran acting job. I think he went to the haloti ngata school of the arts. That personal foul on Kemoeatu was crap. Talk about a dive. Those two calls were a wash, but I thought that was definately a catch for Tone.

I'm more worried about how our secondary will respond. Those two pass interference calls might have the cards beaks watering. The secondary will be tested early and often.

gosteeler
01-19-2009, 11:58 AM
the call on holmes catch was bs, that was a catch if there was ever a catch!!! cost us 4 points:tt02:

Godfather
01-19-2009, 01:02 PM
How about the multiple holding non-calls, even when you could see them pulling on our jerseys? And the non-call when a ratbird took three step and drilled Ben in the back after he threw?

Someone needs to compile a video of all the bad calls that went against us so we can link to it next time we hear someone say the refs favor the Steelers.

jjpro11
01-19-2009, 01:04 PM
i saw harrison and timmons getting held more than anyone.. and im not talking about those delayed blitzes by timmons.. baltimore picked him up good.. but on a couple special teams plays and pursuit plays he was held, but they looked the other way. at least harrison got a call finally.. lol.

FacemeIke
01-19-2009, 01:06 PM
To me its unbelievable that someone that is getting paid that much money can look at a reply of Santonio's catch in slow motion and STILL not get the call right. In fact he overturned the right call. Just unexcusable.

As for the first PI call it looked legit to me, McFadden grabbed ahold of the WR for an instant before knocking the ball away.

TackleMeBen
01-19-2009, 01:09 PM
And the non-call when a ratbird took three step and drilled Ben in the back after he threw?

his last name isnt manning or brady... that is why he will never get a call for roughing the passer.

harrison has been held all season, heck even stevie wonder could see those.

but that is ok, we are still going to finish our bird hunting season.. one raven down and one cardinal to go!!!

BehindSteelCurtain
01-19-2009, 01:11 PM
It's not just the Steelers, I am speaking for the whole NFL.

Godfather
01-19-2009, 01:41 PM
We're going to have to go above and beyond in this SB, because of the the horrible misconception that we stole "XL":mad:

I fully expect them to be a major enemy come kickoff

Every team gets shafted by the zebras. Our problem is when it happens to us, we win anyway instead of whining about it.

SteelCityMom
01-19-2009, 01:57 PM
I don't know, I'm going to play devils advocate here and actually defend the refs on the Holmes call. I didn't understand why Harbaugh was challenging it at first, but after seeing the replay I understood. The ball came out before an elbow or knee came down (he had a hand down, but I don't think that counts, he was just trying to push himself a little further forward with it) and I believe the rule is that you have to have control of the ball the whole way through a catch (meaning that the ball doesn't come out before other necessary body parts are down). So while I hated the call, I believe they got it right. It was just an unfortunate situation really.

The bad calls in my opinion were the second PI call (very ticky tacky) and the penalty against Kemo...they completely missed why Kemo was retaliating, it happens alot, but I didn't think they would call a penalty for a minor scuffle when those situations had been going on a good bit of the game.

steelersfanman92
01-19-2009, 02:04 PM
I see where you are coming from with saying that Holmes lost the ball before his knee or elbow hit, but he had clear posession before that he took three steps before he went down. If anything that should have been a fumble and a recovery for a TD.

What bothered me the most was the lack of roughing the passer calls against Ben. They really couldnt have been more blatent exspecially the one Godfather was talking about where ben had clearly released the ball and was out of the play andn then got drilled in the back they need to call that

TackleMeBen
01-19-2009, 02:10 PM
I see where you are coming from with saying that Holmes lost the ball before his knee or elbow hit, but he had clear posession before that he took three steps before he went down. If anything that should have been a fumble and a recovery for a TD.

What bothered me the most was the lack of roughing the passer calls against Ben. They really couldnt have been more blatent exspecially the one Godfather was talking about where ben had clearly released the ball and was out of the play andn then got drilled in the back they need to call that
wasnt that the one that sent him down the tunnel and the trainers were looking at his back?

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-19-2009, 02:16 PM
wasnt that the one that sent him down the tunnel and the trainers were looking at his back?

Yep

Gumbo
01-19-2009, 03:42 PM
The Roughing the Kicker call was legit. Berger got his butt kicked.

However, yes you are right. The Santonio Holmes Catch was a catch and not incomplete. Contact was made with Santonio when he made the catch, which BY RULE, if he completes the catch, and HE HAS CONTACT MADE WITH HIM, Once a part of his body his the ground HE IS DOWN BY CONTACT and no part of the ground may cause a fumble.

Either way, lets stop whining about the Refs and enjoy the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!
Sorry everyone, but according to the NFL Rule Book the Holmes play was an incompletion.

From the NFL Rule Book:
"A catch is made when a player inbounds secures possession of a pass, kick, or fumble in flight (See 3-20; 8-1-7-S.N. 5).
Note: It is a catch if in the process of attempting to catch the ball, a player secures control of the ball prior to the ball touching the ground and that control is maintained after the ball has touched the ground.

Holmes secured control of the ball but did not maintan control after the ball touched the ground.

And anyone who says roughing the kicker was a good call is just a blatant homer. He might have gently brushed Bergers foot...

I've seen some terribly officiated games this season but this was not one of them. For the most part they let the boys play. There's nothing I hate more than an over-officiated game where the refs have too much affect on the outcome. I give this crew some credit.

peterroach
01-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Sorry everyone, but according to the NFL Rule Book the Holmes play was an incompletion.

From the NFL Rule Book:
"A catch is made when a player inbounds secures possession of a pass, kick, or fumble in flight (See 3-20; 8-1-7-S.N. 5).
Note: It is a catch if in the process of attempting to catch the ball, a player secures control of the ball prior to the ball touching the ground and that control is maintained after the ball has touched the ground.

Holmes secured control of the ball but did not maintan control after the ball touched the ground.

Do you have a copy of the '08 rulebook? I've been looking for it all over. I disagree with this because it refers to securing the ball "in the process of attempting to catch the ball". Holmes had already caught it and taken steps (which under last year's rules, he made a football-related move), then went down. Two possible outcomes:
a) Down by contact, ball is dead when it comes out. Possibly a TD depending on when he was down.
b) Fumbled and recovered in the endzone for a TD

pghfrank1948
01-19-2009, 05:16 PM
hey genius he went three steps with ball in the crook of his arm and dove toward the goal line. actually it looked like he broke the plane with his lunge. the rule you quoted should not have applied.

T&B fan
01-19-2009, 06:35 PM
They're part of the game and I think they've become to dependent on instant reply that they don't even see their own mistakes anymore. The refs need to become Full Time and attend training in the off season to make up for thier lazy efforts. The NFL needs to have a school for refs where they can watch replays of all the prior seasons games and learn from the mistakes of what was or wasn't called.

I said the same thing back when the SD game with Troys no TD call ... and on the return that was run back a few weeks back don't remamber who it was but they fell down on the goal line but the ball was over . only thing was the ref was still trying to keep up on the side line back at to 20 makeing a call at the end zone .. out of shap are the refs pay them already full time .. maybe the NFL could use the $$ from the morons comeing up with the troffy towel :laughing: