PDA

View Full Version : Source: NFL upset with Steelers music

SteelersMongol
01-19-2009, 10:44 AM
A league source who was watching the AFC title game contacted us by e-mail on Sunday night while Ravens' trainers were tending to running back Willis McGahee, who at the time possibly had sustained a serious head and/or neck injury. The source was livid regarding the fact that, while McGahee was laying on the turf, the folks who operate the sound system at Heinz Field opted to play rock music over the P.A. system. Specifically, the selections were "Down On The Corner" by Creedence Clearwater Revival, and then "Smooth" by Santana featuring Rob Thomas. Said the source: "There is a player on the field who may have suffered a life changing injury and the Steelers are playing party music. There are about five teams in the league that would engage in such horrific behavior. All others would cease all entertainment."

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/86653-source-nfl-upset-with-steelers-music?eref=fromSI

While we're all jumping 4 a joy, NFL is trying hard 2 rain down on our parade. :banging: How stupid is that?

GodofGridiron
01-19-2009, 10:50 AM
F'k the league and its "officials". All week we heard about bounties, makin retribution and payback for crackback blocks from Ward........Bart Scott running off at the mouth about how he loved the sound of air leaving Bens body after his hit on Ben. They crowed all f'kin week about hurting us and look who got laid out............serves them right. My condolensces to McGahee but f'k that organization of thugbirds.

We had the last word in this one.....so they can suck one til next season when we inflict the same. Be ready.......stay ready, cuz we're about to hunt crow again.

A league source----------pfffffft heh.

revefsreleets
01-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Eff these assholes. That's total garbage.

Besides, if I went to a party and they played those two songs, I'd leave...that ain't party music.

slippy
01-19-2009, 11:00 AM
would it be better to play frank sinatra or roy orbison? how about leonard cohen.

steelers2685
01-19-2009, 11:05 AM
The music is there to keep the fans entertained. The sound crew didn't know how long the player was going to be down for. Heck, that's probably the most low-key music they have there!!!

KeiselPower99
01-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Who cares this is really becoming the no fun league.

peterroach
01-19-2009, 11:15 AM
I thought it was a bit strange myself, but making an issue of it is ridiculous. I mean, unless they were playing something like Celebration by Kool & The Gang as McGahee is laid out, I don't really see an issue.

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 11:19 AM
"There is a player on the field who may have suffered a life changing injury and the Steelers are playing party music. There are about five teams in the league that would engage in such horrific behavior. All others would cease all entertainment."

Ummm, got proof of that? This wasn't just another game, it was for the right to represent the AFC in the SB. Eff you Goodell! :upyours:

HometownGal
01-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Oh BITE ME. Steelers fans were very sympathetic to McGahee's injury and were heard yelling well wishes to him as he was being carted off the field. Can't they come up with something better than this to bash the Steelers with? :upyours:

SteelCityMan786
01-19-2009, 11:26 AM
The NFL source should just shut up. They were not playing anything that was harassing McGahee. Basically they're telling me that they shouldn't play music at all during breaks. I didn't hear one ounce of music that was offensive while at the game last night. Besides do you really think that anyone that was around McGahee was even listening to the music while he was down???

SteelCityMan786
01-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Oh BITE ME. Steelers fans were very sympathetic to McGahee's injury and were heard yelling well wishes to him as he was being carted off the field. Can't they come up with something better than this to bash the Steelers with? :upyours:

You are right. All of us who were in the stadium for the game were CHEERING LOUDLY for McGahee because we all knew that this would be most likely the last time he would play in a game this season and we wanted to wish him a full recovery as he went into the offseason.

mesaSteeler
01-19-2009, 11:28 AM
NFL Source? This is from that Steeler hating troll Mike Florio Profootballtalk.com. His source is himself. He's just a stupid tool who just wants to provoke controversy

Stlrs4Life
01-19-2009, 11:30 AM
I clicked on the link and seen the source: "profootballtalk". Then quit reading.

tony hipchest
01-19-2009, 11:31 AM
i like when san deigos LB (i think it was philips???) feigned injury last weekend.

the steelers PA was playing "my girl"

:toofunny:

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 11:34 AM
NFL Source? This is from that Steeler hating troll Mike Florio Profootballtalk.com. His source is himself. He's just a stupid tool who just wants to provoke controversy

Point taken, but I can imagine BS like this coming from Goodell's office all the same. Yeah, let's not worry about what constitutes a completed pass or anything like that, let's worry about the home team playing music on its PA system in a frigging championship game. :rolleyes:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-19-2009, 11:47 AM
In further news...Goodell has decided that the New England Patriots will represent the AFC in the Super Bowl this year due to the Steelers playing "music".

Goodell explained that he did not think that the music was disrespectful but that Patriots owner Robert Kraft called him after the game and stated that he really...really..dislikes Creedance Clearwater Revival.

Goodell states that he has a very strong opinion on this matter but is still waiting to hear back from Kraft in regards to what it will be.

revefsreleets
01-19-2009, 11:55 AM

I was pleased with that, as the fans demonstrated much more grace than I could ever muster. The best I could say for myself is that I was taught when you have nothing good to say, say nothing.

MACH1
01-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Would "Mama Gonna knock you out" been more appropriate.

steelreserve
01-19-2009, 12:09 PM
You're right, we should've played death metal.

westcoastransplant
01-19-2009, 12:09 PM
As someone who works in the front office of a professional baseball team, I can tell you that the kind of music this person probably wanted played is not available. You want upbeat and fun music so fans wont walk out. Did he wqnt the sound guys to play funeral music?

mesaSteeler
01-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Maybe we should have played Taps.

Note this was intended as sarcasm.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Although this is not funny, i was on page 2 , the question was what typed of what kind of music would they want us to play? I thought of TAPs, I click to page 3, one post, TAPS, lol.

I think they are lucky the Steelers fans didn't start chanting bounty, but I do believe the Steelers fans are not mean and degrading unlike the crap that is out there. The Eagles fans certainly would've right after tossing snowballs at the player rolling off on the cart.

SteelTalons
01-19-2009, 12:37 PM
You could hear fans on TV saying stuff to him as they took him into the tunnel. Nothing classless... Stuff along the lines of "Get well soon". Big deal about the music. I thought it was a little strange but silence is worse IMO...

Milkman
01-19-2009, 12:40 PM
They probably should have played some William Hung..."she bangs she bangs".

ace man 21
01-19-2009, 12:46 PM
who cares it was a clean hit

Godfather
01-19-2009, 12:56 PM
I dunno...that bothered me too. I didn't like hearing the music played over the PA when we had two players down, including one of our own.

jjpro11
01-19-2009, 01:01 PM
that "source" is probably that douche bag florio from PFT.. he was crying about it right after the game.. so asshats actually were criticizing the steelers for not mentioning mcgahee in their post game trophy presentation.. wtf? they each got like 30 seconds to talk and were thanking the fans. lets not forget this ravens team was the same one putting bounties out on our players and spitting in our guys faces.. i didnt like seeing mcgahee get hurt, of course not.. but it happens. music played when ben was down too.. it must be stadium policy, some just dont like it.

TackleMeBen
01-19-2009, 01:26 PM
if that is all the league can find to moan about, then i say we are doing pretty well.

there is nothing wrong with playing music. what do you want a stadium full of solemn people... its a freaking football game.

but either way, someone would complain about whether they played or didnt play music. it sort of reminds me that time when the WWE was doing a ppv and owen hart got killed. they continued on with the ppv. you are darned if you do and darned if you dont.

SteelCityMom
01-19-2009, 02:11 PM
I dunno...that bothered me too. I didn't like hearing the music played over the PA when we had two players down, including one of our own.

They played the same songs when Ben was down in week 17...I think it's just standard sound procedure to have some kind of background noise going on. It's typically older overplayed songs as well that just sort of become background noise. I've never heard anyone complain about this before, though I believe they do it at every stadium anytime there's a TO or an injury TO. I think this story just popped because there just HAS to be some kind of controversy after a Steelers game where the media is concerned. Having this story come from the NFL's reporting equivalent to TMZ (Florio) just discredits it more as real story. I bet we don't see one major news report about this issue ever.

*Side Note* Florio and PFT are the same tools who reported that Terry Bradshaw had been killed in a car accident (per league sources) a couple years back...though their stories are fun to read sometimes, you have to take every story they run with a grain of salt. If they don't have an actual news link to go with their story to back up what they are reporting you can pretty much assume it's BS.

sanaomi
01-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Hey! I know this is off topic but, I was wondering if anyone knows what the techno/trance/dance song is that they play all the time? not the one by zombie nation though the other one.

jjpro11
01-19-2009, 02:30 PM
*Side Note* Florio and PFT are the same tools who reported that Terry Bradshaw had been killed in a car accident (per league sources) a couple years back...though their stories are fun to read sometimes, you have to take every story they run with a grain of salt. If they don't have an actual news link to go with their story to back up what they are reporting you can pretty much assume it's BS.

he's the same asshole calling for clark to be suspended for the super bowl because of the hit.. this idiot should be covering ice skating, not football.

stlrz fan
01-19-2009, 02:36 PM
If it happened in Baltimore they would send out the mail cheerleaders. Did anyone stand over him and say "He's Done". Huh Ray, Did they??

pghfrank1948
01-19-2009, 02:47 PM
To Be brutally honest the only thing I was worried about is who ball was it!!! And watching Ray, Ray crying about his teamate is BS, He was crying about not going to the Super Bowl !!!

Hapa
01-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Thats dumb, who cares about the music. Like it makes a difference. I hate people that say dumb stuff like that. Like they're just looking for something wrong.

devilsdancefloor
01-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Would "Mama Gonna knock you out" been more appropriate.

i was thinking bodies by drowning pool!

A league offical with a sick up his A$$! party music what CCR might have been party music 30+ years ago! PFFT idiots!

BehindSteelCurtain
01-19-2009, 02:52 PM
I just love how the Ravens talk about hurting other players and nothing happens to them by the NFL.

STEEL-MAN
01-19-2009, 03:00 PM
I agree! They should have been playing "Thats Not MY Name" by that irish chick... thats not my name thats not my name thats not my name my names not shirley thats not my name!!!

RavensD
01-19-2009, 03:00 PM
While we're all jumping 4 a joy, NFL is trying hard 2 rain down on our parade. :banging: How stupid is that?

I noticed this during the game too....it was questionable, but really, is it that big of a deal?