PDA

View Full Version : Move Sweed to Cornerback

oldschool
01-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Between his stone hands and the wicked hit this kid maybe a better cornerback than receiver, What do you think?:wink02:

jjpro11
01-19-2009, 01:05 PM
lol.. he had a nice break up in the end zone too.

slippy
01-19-2009, 01:17 PM
i wanted to cut him at halftime!

BTW who's after him on the depth chart?

steelersfanman92
01-19-2009, 01:25 PM
i wanted to cut him at halftime!

BTW who's after him on the depth chart?

He is the last reciever on the depth chart the steelers only carry 4: hines, nate, santonio, and him, next Heath would probably line up at reciever

steelreserve
01-19-2009, 01:27 PM
He is the last reciever on the depth chart the steelers only carry 4: hines, nate, santonio, and him, next Heath would probably line up at reciever

Or Moore. They could do that too.

But man, what butterfingers this kid has.

tony hipchest
01-19-2009, 01:27 PM
hes gonna be a great wr.

STEEL-MAN
01-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Stone hand Sweed, would make a awesome cb. Don't think he'll get to many more better chances to score 6 than he did Sunday.

St33lersguy
01-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Inexcusable drop + furocios hit (on a cheapsh*t thug better yet)+ HUGE breakup in the endzone, yep he definetely showed he is better suited for DB

Hapa
01-19-2009, 01:40 PM
He isn't nearly agile enough to be a DB. Have you ever seen a good DB taller than 6'1''?

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 01:45 PM
He's a ROOKIE. :rolleyes:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-19-2009, 01:48 PM
hes gonna be a great wr.

I agree....he is still a rookie and will make rookie mistakes like he did last night....He showed the moves and the speed needed to be a reciever, but took his eyes off the football when he realized that he was was about to catch a HUGE pass for a TD in the championship game. Nothing more than an OMG moment...

We tend to be very hard on our rookie players and Sweed is no exception to that rule. For instance...We all complain that Hills is going to be a bust because he didnt play a down this year...BUT Neither did the much steeler-fan desired Chris Williams, who went in the first round... and Cherilus, who did play,and was also much desired,struggled greatly this year.

Give the rooks a chance....Sweed will be a great WR and Hills will be a starter next season or the season after.

slippy
01-19-2009, 01:53 PM
great based on what exactly? word is he drops one in practice every day!

at this point he's a bust until proven otherwise. sorry to be so down on him, but that TD drop blows open the game.

Rek
01-19-2009, 01:57 PM

I agree that he is a rookie but he doesn't seem to be progressing as he should. Catching a wide-open pass at the professional level is not something that can all be blamed on his lack of experience.

Rek
01-19-2009, 01:58 PM
great based on what exactly? word is he drops one in practice every day!

at this point he's a bust until proven otherwise. sorry to be so down on him, but that TD drop blows open the game.

I agree with you. This is the NFL, not college anymore. I can understand if he has trouble with the plays or the route-running, but they are paid to catch the ball and he struggles with one of the basic fundamentals of the game. Is it all his fault? No. It is mostly? I say yes.

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 02:03 PM
I agree that he is a rookie but he doesn't seem to be progressing as he should. Catching a wide-open pass at the professional level is not something that can all be blamed on his lack of experience.

Heard the same thing about Timmons last year. Sweed has next to no real game experience and he was thrown into a championship game cold. Yep, we should all expect the 2nd coming of Jerry Rice in that scenario.

oldschool
01-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Seriously, the kids going to be a great receiver, and I hope he steps up big in the super bowl and makes a name for himself,
( hopefully he gets used to the contacts that they fitted him with in camp, and learns to look the ball in).

steelers617
01-19-2009, 02:25 PM
He isn't nearly agile enough to be a DB. Have you ever seen a good DB taller than 6'1''?

http://design.sdsu.edu/webclasses/spring2008/240/claytor/golangcov/images/antonio%20cromartie.jpg

Only one I can think of, and his cover skills aren't even that good. He just makes up for it by being incredibly athletic (pic related).

kmsteelerwr15
01-19-2009, 02:25 PM
All he needs is some confidence. Just give him sone time, it took Holmes an entire season to finally get into a groove

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Heard the same thing about Timmons last year. Sweed has next to no real game experience and he was thrown into a championship game cold. Yep, we should all expect the 2nd coming of Jerry Rice in that scenario.

Yeah, if you look back to the same time last season, there were lots calling Timmons a bust, injury prone for breaking his hand and the 2nd coming of Kendrell Bell.

Give Sweed a season and we will all see improvement. Any idea of moving him to cornerback is pure sarcasm and not realistic.

steelreserve
01-19-2009, 03:03 PM

He's also a WIDE RECEIVER. His entire job is to CATCH THE DAMN BALL.

I always thought of rookie mistakes as things like your timing being a little off, or lining up in the wrong spot, or trying to make a risky play when you shouldn't. Just flat-out dropping the ball when you're wide open is completely different. I mean, nobody should be doing that, rookie or not. So that shit's got to stop.

Rek
01-19-2009, 03:17 PM

Never said that. Should he be expected to catch balls thrown right on his hands? Absolutely. That is his job. That is what he is paid to do.

Rek
01-19-2009, 03:19 PM

I always thought of rookie mistakes as things like your timing being a little off, or lining up in the wrong spot, or trying to make a risky play when you shouldn't. Just flat-out dropping the ball when you're wide open is completely different. I mean, nobody should be doing that, rookie or not. So that shit's got to stop.

:applaudit: First logical post of this thread.

peterroach
01-19-2009, 03:58 PM

I agree that's his job, but he hasn't had enough field time this year. I'm sure it's just jitters. To be thrown into the AFC championship in his first year and have your number called, I'm sure there's gotta be some added pressure.

I'm not making excuses for him and every time I see that replay in slo-mo I can't help but hear a *doing* right as he drops it, but the kid definitely has potential. Don't be too quick to sell him out especially under the wing of Ward. Look how well Holmes has developed...

ricksteelers55
01-19-2009, 04:34 PM
We tend to forget that Willie also dropped one that he was going for 6 !!! Yeah he's a RB but he's also a veteran that should know you have to keep your eyes on the ball before spreading the field.Sweed is a rookie and will make mistakes and you know what ? Im glad he made mistakes now...he will learn and we have the team to back his errors.The guy will be a great WR in this league.

Give him a chance,Santo wasnt better in his rookie season.There's a huge step between college and pros.

I believe in Sweed

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Just flat-out dropping the ball when you're wide open is completely different. I mean, nobody should be doing that, rookie or not. .

Tell that to Jackie Harris.

Sometimes the wide open catch is harder to make than the difficult catches.

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 05:08 PM

So the kid should be cut/declared a bust/thrown under the bus for one drop? Yep, that's the typical bullshit, absolute-perfection-or-the-pine/waiver wire attitude I've come to expect around here.

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Give him a chance,Santo wasnt better in his rookie season.

Good point - people were all over Santo's shit when he was a rookie for the same damn thing.

lilyoder6
01-19-2009, 05:21 PM
troy could barely get on the field as a rookie..
when sweed was thrown into the game.. other than the drop he actually did a good job blocking and catching harder balls..

ppl need rly 2 stfu about this...

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 05:26 PM
troy could barely get on the field as a rookie..

Yep, and all the armchair GMs and HCs were declaring Troy to be a bust as a rookie as well, as I recall. :rolleyes:

MasterOfPuppets
01-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Good point - people were all over Santo's shit when he was a rookie for the same damn thing.AND....plaxico.....burress started 9 games....played in 12...and had a whopping 22 catches.....people called him a bust too...:coffee:

VTsteel
01-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Hey FS '76 . . . Love the sig

steelreserve
01-19-2009, 05:33 PM
So the kid should be cut/declared a bust/thrown under the bus for one drop? Yep, that's the typical bullshit, absolute-perfection-or-the-pine/waiver wire attitude I've come to expect around here.

No, I just mean he needs to stop doing that shit. I didn't say anything about trading him or cutting him or anything like that. I don't know how you got all that out of what I said. A little edgy, maybe?

Just gets a little frustrating to see the guy drop a sure home run ball two weeks in a row.

BlastFurnace
01-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Seriously...if we did lose a receiver...couldn't we activate someone from the Practice Squad. Who is available? Martin Nance?

Rek
01-19-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm not one to give up on players and I am not ready to give up on Sweed. He does deserve another year or two to get his feet wet, but c'mon now. Making excuses and saying that because he is a rookie is the reason why he isn't doing well is naive and ridiculous.

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 05:41 PM
No, I just mean he needs to stop doing that shit. I didn't say anything about trading him or cutting him or anything like that. I don't know how you got all that out of what I said. A little edgy, maybe?

Just gets a little frustrating to see the guy drop a sure home run ball two weeks in a row.

Look at the thread title and go from there. I'm stating an absolute fact that if a 1st or 2nd round choice doesn't perform at a future-HoFer level from snap one of their career, they're automatically looked at as dogshit by a lot of fans. It's the plain truth with no shellack on it.

EDIT: Not necessarily you, steelreserve, but others do it.

Preacher
01-19-2009, 05:51 PM

Actually, no.

Catching the ball is as much mental as it is physical. It just like golf. You have to get yourself out of the way in order to make the easy swing and hit the ball. This kid is a rookie with HOW MANY GAMES under his belt?

You expect him to be able to go out with the equivelent of less than ONE FULL GAME's EXPERIENCE in the NFL, and in the AFCCG, run a long pattern, put all the right moves on a DB, get open, THEN Shut down his brain, shift into reflex thinking, catch the ball, all the while knowing that he may be broke by a Ravens DB... on a throw that may break the game wide open and send the Steelers to the SB out of Hienz field for the first time ever?

You don't think it is just a little much to expect of a rookie with less than one game's experience?

BTW: I LOVE the title of the thread. . . I found it quite humorous. Who knows, we may have an Ironman football player!

Michael Keller
01-19-2009, 05:53 PM
How many fans would have cut Troy during his not too good rookie year. I do not believe any of us have any idea how much pressure these guys are under. I have a good feeling about this kid. I loved the way his teamates responded to him. This team is really close. None of that selfish behavior that even the Cards have with A Boulden and their O.C. The Steeler culture is magical .

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 05:53 PM
....in the AFCCG....on a throw that may break the game wide open and send the Steelers to the SB out of Hienz field for the first time ever?

That's right - another slump broken! Can no lose! :chuckle:

BlastFurnace
01-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Actually, no.

Catching the ball is as much mental as it is physical. It just like golf. You have to get yourself out of the way in order to make the easy swing and hit the ball. This kid is a rookie with HOW MANY GAMES under his belt?

You expect him to be able to go out with the equivelent of less than ONE FULL GAME's EXPERIENCE in the NFL, and in the AFCCG, run a long pattern, put all the right moves on a DB, get open, THEN Shut down his brain, shift into reflex thinking, catch the ball, all the while knowing that he may be broke by a Ravens DB... on a throw that may break the game wide open and send the Steelers to the SB out of Hienz field for the first time ever?

You don't think it is just a little much to expect of a rookie with less than one game's experience?

BTW: I LOVE the title of the thread. . . I found it quite humorous. Who knows, we may have an Ironman football player!

Not to mention, when someone presses...it makes it that much harder...even if you already have the God given gift to do it.

Something tells me we will hear this quote from Sweed in next years preaseason...."I'm relaxed now and that is going to make a difference".

steelreserve
01-19-2009, 05:56 PM

No, not really. If a perfectly thrown ball hits you right in the hands and you're an NFL receiver, you ought to catch it whether you're a rookie or a 10-year veteran. I'm not writing him off permanently, but he completely choked on that one and anyone can see it.

Preacher
01-19-2009, 06:09 PM
No, not really. If a perfectly thrown ball hits you right in the hands and you're an NFL receiver, you ought to catch it whether you're a rookie or a 10-year veteran. I'm not writing him off permanently, but he completely choked on that one and anyone can see it.

That is my exact point. He is a rookie. I EXPECT him to choke with that little experience under his belt. There is a REASON he was at the very bottom of the depth chart this year. Its because HE IS A ROOKIE.

Preacher
01-19-2009, 06:09 PM
That's right - another slump broken! Can no lose! :chuckle:

:toofunny:

LambertIsGod58
01-19-2009, 06:11 PM

Finally some common sense......

lukas
01-19-2009, 06:24 PM
He's been sitting on the bench watching his team climb their way through the playoffs. He's obviously been dreaming of catching a huge break, of making a pivotal catch in a big game...let's throw a random example, maybe a 50+ yard bomb from Ben in the AFCCG game against the Ravens. His moment has finally arrived, he's going to be hero. He'll probably be all over ESPN for making a huge catch...maybe he'll be able to watch his own highlights when he gets home...and his parents will definitely give him a call after saying they saw the humongous pl....oops he dropped it.

Do you get the point I made? He's an inexperienced rookie. He was no doubt counting his chickens before they hatched. Let it go. He'll be huge in the long-run.

Nighthawk
01-19-2009, 06:27 PM
I swear this is the 3rd or 4th stupid thread on Limas in 24 hours. I'm almost of getting tired of arguing - next season and hell maybe even next game just like all the STEELERS players who have had people out for their heads will come up big and prove you wrong. If you cannot imagine going into an AFC Championship game after pretty much being on the bench all year and being under an immense amount of pressure then there is no point in continuing. Just because his job is to catch the ball doesn't mean he's immune to mistakes - I'm sure no one here expects new hire employee's to operate flawlessly from the first punch of the clock just because it's their job.

Maybe it's just due to the fact he's been able to - GET OPEN by himself and the possibilities of a TD have been there thanks to his natural talent, but as far as I'm concerned he's got solvable problems.... Nate Washington used to drop big catches in the past seasons - now look at him only 4 drops this year I believe.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Seriously...if we did lose a receiver...couldn't we activate someone from the Practice Squad. Who is available? Martin Nance?

Yes we could, but so far its Ward, Holmes, Washington, Sweed and they are all healthy.

Dallas Baker would be the likely call up before Nance, but I doubt that either is gonna be dressed for SB XLII.

shevdog
01-19-2009, 09:37 PM
If only we had minors like the NHL does.... I'd send Sweed to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton... LOL! Sweed wasn't the only one missing passes. Ben was on target all night long, so for once we can't say anything bad about Ben. (I am sure some will!)

jjpro11
01-19-2009, 09:45 PM
i think sweed reads this forum.. and its hurting his confidence.

drizze99
01-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Some of you crack me up.... Some of you here are so quick to label young players a bust. The kid is a rookie and will need time to mature. I have a feeling he will be special. Let him get accustomed to playing WR for the Steelers and you will see. Don't you think he was pist that he dropped that pass? Just ask that Ravens DB he laid out...

Anyone remember when Troy P. was a rookie? He looked like a lost child on the field. Now look at him.... I am sure many of you labeled him as a bust back then...

DP_Steeler
01-19-2009, 10:17 PM
If we need a third WR, I wouldn't hesitate to line Heath at WR ...this guys has great hands and can catch anything even if pounded.

That being said, I wouldn't give up on Sweed, but not crazy about using him in the Super Bowl ... mind you if Hines is back he goes back to being the 4th receiver.

moedap
01-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Jerry Rice dropped a lot in his first year. How did he turn out?

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-19-2009, 11:45 PM
I am not labeling him bust, but I won't praise him for dropping an easy TD. I could see if he pulled a Plaxico or something like that, mixing up the rules, running the wrong route, lining up wrong, etc. Messing up on fundamentals though is quite annoying. Comparing that drop to Troy's first season is a terrible comparison. He didn't have to cover a receiver, gauge his route, etc...all he had to do was make an easy catch. Hardly the same thing at all.

I don't know how anyone can say they "have a feeling" about Sweed. Let's just watch him develop and make our decision then.

jdsdaguy
01-20-2009, 05:39 AM
:banging:well, i for one, had him cut before he hit the ground. but that was just the emotions that run through me. after watching the replay, i seen rookie written all over it. but with that said, i also have to ask, how did he get so wide open? how often do you see a steelers receiver that wide open? talk about a deep threat. i say we get the kid some prozac and use him as our secret weapon in SUPERBOWL XLIII !!!!! wow, that (SUPERBOWL XLIII) sounds better everytime i say it.:tt02:

stillers4me
01-20-2009, 05:44 AM
Heck.....why not use Harrison as a third down back? He plows his way to the QB with 3 guys hanging all over him "Bettis style". I bet he'd be willing to do it, too. :chuckle;

paw-n-maul-u
01-20-2009, 06:16 AM
Does noone remember the Larry Fitzgerald-esque non-TD catch that Sweed had earlier this season from Leftwhich I believe.

He was barely out of bounds but if it had been a TD it would have been sportscenter material.

Sure, he's had some big drops, but when he gets a hang of the game, oh boy I think he is going to be special.

fansince'76
01-20-2009, 06:43 AM

Exactly.

Rice struggled as a rookie at first; and in the whole season, he only started four games. Reporters referred to him as a potential bust and some teammates called him “Butterfingers” to his face. In one game, Rice dropped two wide open passes; then, during half time Frisbee-catching dogs took the field and a fan yelled, “Rice, take notes!”

Jerry Rice Biography (http://www.geocities.com/ricecollector80/bio.html)

Kaeg
01-20-2009, 06:47 AM
I think I saw Hines' tutilage showing with that really nice hit! Now just give him some time to relax and I think he will be fine. Don't expect a miracle out of him in the SB. (Although that would be great) At least give him till next year to show improvement.

Steelerroy
01-20-2009, 09:31 AM
AND....plaxico.....burress started 9 games....played in 12...and had a whopping 22 catches.....people called him a bust too...:coffee:

Beat me to it!!:laughing: Burress,Troy,and Timmons all had non factor rookie years.Hell ,Willie didn't do anything till the final game his first year.Look how long it took Harrison! Not to mention Ward.:banging: I got as pissed as anyone at the drop and I was hoping for a better year from him as well but I also realize he's just a rookie.Give him a couple more years before you start attacking the guy.

On the flip side Troy Edwards had 714 yards recieving his rookie year!! How'd that work out??

stlrtruck
01-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Jerry struggled as a rookie at first; and in the whole season, he only started four games. Reporters referred to him as a potential bust and some teammates called him “Butterfingers” to his face. In one game, Rice dropped two wide open passes; then, during half time Frisbee-catching dogs took the field and a fan yelled, “Rice, take notes!”

Rice later said, “Oh man, there were many games where I just went in and cried. I cried because I had always been able to catch a football and make a play, and now I was dropping footballs and I just couldn’t pinpoint what was going on. I had never been booed before, and that was really hard. Bill (Walsh) and the coaches just kept telling me, ‘Just keep working hard.’ In a situation like that, they could have slammed the door on me and said, ‘Ok, bad draft choice, let’s get rid of him.’ But I guess Bill saw something in me and stuck with me. He can see something in a football player that no one else can see.”

Man Rice sucked :rofl:

markymarc
01-20-2009, 12:15 PM
While his drop was frustrating you have to give him props for keeping his head in the game and making big plays later in the game. He decleated Ivy, had 2 catches (1 being a big catch on a 3rd down play) and most importantly didn't allow the Rats defender to intercept the ball in the end zone.

steelreserve
01-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Exactly.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f370/capt_taco/calvin121.gif

AllD
01-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Nate Washington was almost cut for dropping passes and he is much more consistant now. What happened to Cedric Wilson?

SteelerFanInATL
01-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Between his stone hands and the wicked hit this kid maybe a better cornerback than receiver, What do you think?:wink02:

Sweed will be ok. He made a nice catch after the drop. He was running right to left, the throw was low and alittle behind him, he caught it with his hands in frount of him and not his body. Nice catch, very nice catch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::applaudit:

fansince'76
01-20-2009, 05:42 PM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f370/capt_taco/calvin121.gif

Yep, the kid dropped a pass. Time to cut his ass! In fact, I think we should spend the entire offseason dwelling on it and contemplate his move to CB! :rolleyes:

cubanstogie
01-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Maybe it will keep him humble. The last thing the Steelers want or need is a receiver like TO, Moss, or any of the Bengals.

Preacher
01-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Heck, how effective was SWAN his first year?

Rookies are rookies because they are immature and inexperienced at this level.

If your bosses expected the perfection that you expect out of our rookies, most of us all would be fired.

steelreserve
01-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Yep, the kid dropped a pass. Time to cut his ass! In fact, I think we should spend the entire offseason dwelling on it and contemplate his move to CB! :rolleyes:

Oh, come on. You were practically begging for that with the Jerry Rice references.

No, I don't think there's any way you can say he sucks yet based on the what, 10 times we've thrown to him, but it wasn't a very good start and he still has to prove himself. There, that's about all I have to say about it.