PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Steeler fans enjoy a victory??

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2009, 01:17 PM
I am thrilled and elated for the Steelers to be in the Super Bowl. Especially considering their schedule at the beginning of the year being considered the toughest in 30 years.

So why is it that a lot of the talk on the board seems to be how we couldn't run the football, Limas Sweed drops that pass, Parker cant catch, Colon false starts, Berger shanked a punt, the refs botched the Santonio incompletion, etc.?

30 other teams in the NFL wish they had our problems. Try and enjoy it for the next 13 days. :tt03:

section514
01-19-2009, 01:19 PM
because everything that you just mentioned causes concern for the next game. even if it was the super bowl last week, we would still be concerned for next year already...

stlrz fan
01-19-2009, 01:29 PM
This is going to be a great two weeks and I think that the Steelers are going to be great. The O Line is stepping up and giving Ben great protection. I Think that some of the concern is with some of these issues being ongoing. I think that people all fear that Willie Colon could be called for a penalty at a critical time and at a great price. Limas Sweed needs to get his hands. I think with time he will make those catches, look at Nate Washington and how he has improved. I think that it is just tough to swallow dropping a sure touchdown pass last night. As for Willie Parker, I don't think that he is comfortable trying to catch those little dump passes but at least they are mixing it up. Take advantage of Moore in some of those opportunites and pick up those 15 and 20 yarders. I think thatwe have continued to show our best and will do so even more in the SB and I know that Steeler fans worldwide are looking at the bigger picture now an will be enjoying every minute of the next two weeks.

CPanther95
01-19-2009, 01:30 PM
We enjoyed the victory, but we'll celebrate after the Super Bowl. Until then it's all business.

Michael Keller
01-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Excellent question. Because almost all pleasure is temporary. We are conditioned to respond accordingly. This wonderful pleasure of the Steelers winning could be taken away from us and we want to eliminate any threats that could keep us from winning . Players performances or lack of, threatens us.

Wrong attitude but some of us are never secure with our success. Football is a team game and hardly ever is a victory so complete that some phase was not sub par, Barger's punting , Colon's play, Sweed's hands etc.

Bottom line we need to accept our wonderful victory anjd the whole Steeler experience. I know I am .

jjpro11
01-19-2009, 01:34 PM
these two weeks are gonna be awesome.. i already bought 2 tickets last night to the cavs game the friday before the super bowl and will be wearing my big ben jersey.. its the next best thing to going to the super bowl itself for me.

KeiselPower99
01-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Ill enjoy us being in the game and all the negative media that will be thrown at us. We all have such huge expectations that we cant settle for just getting there. We all have concerns this is the week we get to bizness cause next is when all the hoopla starts.

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm thrilled! I'm also glad it didn't take us 10 seasons to get back to the big dance like it did after SB XXX.

TackleMeBen
01-19-2009, 01:40 PM
b/c everything that goes wrong with this team is willie or ben's fault..lol

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Wrong attitude but some of us are never secure with our success. Football is a team game and hardly ever is a victory so complete that some phase was not sub par, Barger's punting , Colon's play, Sweed's hands etc.

As a Steeler fan for 30 years....the question was kind of rhetorical, but great analogy MK!!

So a lot of Steeler fans probably suffer from a fear of failure complex and like to complain the sky is falling, despite being in the super bowl. I know of the team's shortcomings, but at this point just choose to enjoy the ride and will be wringing my Terrible Towel in 2 weeks.

PGH_Futbol
01-19-2009, 01:47 PM
I can overlook the 1 botched punt, the 1 fumble, the 1 missed pass, 1 of the False Starts because we were efficient for almost 85% of the game with our passing and special teams. I am enjoying this victory! I was there... in the 2nd row... got to slap high fives with the most watched Steeler fans over the last two weeks - these guys had on their Lucha Libre wrestling masks, carried ravens on nooses, and put cooking aprons on when we won that said - "Ben's Cardinal's Butchers." it was definitely an awesome game to savor...

I don't know the Cards well enough to make a comment on their rush defense... but if they stopped the Panthers and Atlanta... then our Oline and Willie gotta work hard to prepare...

We've got two weeks to prep... let's just make sure we "Get in the Lab" and figure it out.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-19-2009, 01:50 PM
these two weeks are gonna be awesome.. i already bought 2 tickets last night to the cavs game the friday before the super bowl and will be wearing my big ben jersey.. its the next best thing to going to the super bowl itself for me.

Dude you'll take some serious shi*t at the Cavs game. They'll put you up on the Jumbotron thing and the whole place will boo. Also, when the opposing team is shooting foul shots they'll put the steelers logo up on the screen to get the whole place to boo. You have to prepare your self. Like say at dinner you tell your family to boo as you walk in. The Cavs introduction this year is sweet though.

pghfrank1948
01-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Cant Enjoy? I even have to thank Martin Luther King Jr, for giving me the day off so I can savor the victory, and look forward to the Super Bowl in 2 weeks.

Phade
01-19-2009, 03:23 PM
we celebrate when we win it all..

lol @ us acting like were coaches.. all we can really do is cheer and hope.. so we should enjoy victories for more than 20 mins..

i know browns fans are prob. elated for months if they end the season on a win..

Fire Haley
01-19-2009, 03:42 PM
I haven't stopped celebrating yet - I think I got 2 hrs sleep last night.

Par - tay!

Stlrs4Life
01-19-2009, 03:54 PM
I am thrilled and elated for the Steelers to be in the Super Bowl. Especially considering their schedule at the beginning of the year being considered the toughest in 30 years.

So why is it that a lot of the talk on the board seems to be how we couldn't run the football, Limas Sweed drops that pass, Parker cant catch, Colon false starts, Berger shanked a punt, the refs botched the Santonio incompletion, etc.?

30 other teams in the NFL wish they had our problems. Try and enjoy it for the next 13 days. :tt03:

I am happy they are there, but you can't deny that we had problems yesterday running the offense, let's hope it was just because of the good defense that we were playing against.

SteelCurtain7
01-19-2009, 04:03 PM
We enjoyed the victory, but we'll celebrate after the Super Bowl. Until then it's all business.

Word. :cool:

HometownGal
01-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Simply because no matter how well the Steelers play or how many wins they have under their belt (record is now 14-4) - some people feel it is their God given right to find something - ANYTHING - to bitch and moan about. I can almost guarantee you they can't B & M in "real time" because their wives would crack them over the head with a frying pan. :pin: Misery loves company, sadly.

Polamalu43
01-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Great question. guess people love to complain, even when we win!!

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 04:45 PM
I am happy they are there, but you can't deny that we had problems yesterday running the offense, let's hope it was just because of the good defense that we were playing against.

Yet they performed 150% better against the Ravens yesterday than either of the other 2 games against them during the season. Further, they never trailed yesterday but trailed the Ravens for most of the other 2 regular season games against them.

Steelers fans are spoiled. Rotten.

PisnNapalm
01-19-2009, 04:45 PM

Because, we are STEELER FANS! Football is in our blood. It's in the air we breathe. These next 2 weeks are going to almost unbearable for me. I've gotta talk about something during that time.

We gotta pound the rock against the Cards. We need to dominate the clock like we did against the Bolts. :flap:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2009, 04:55 PM
I have never apologized for a tough win against the Ravens and am certainly not going to after that one which sends the Steelers to the Super Bowl.

Sure we had problems, but I watched 90% of the game from a barstool in Vegas and seeing Ravens supporters around, I got the feeling that they felt as if they got beat in all phases of the game......except penalty yardage allowed.

Keep on enjoying it and we can start to over-analyze the Cardinals this weekend!!

lilyoder6
01-19-2009, 05:00 PM
it's not like we played the browns last night... the ravens are a rly good team w/ a fantastic def.. no shit our off is going to have problems...

and the other fact is that many ppl think they are right and that there analysis of players and what not are better b/c they are at home when the real athletes are on the field

jjpro11
01-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Dude you'll take some serious shi*t at the Cavs game. They'll put you up on the Jumbotron thing and the whole place will boo. Also, when the opposing team is shooting foul shots they'll put the steelers logo up on the screen to get the whole place to boo. You have to prepare your self. Like say at dinner you tell your family to boo as you walk in. The Cavs introduction this year is sweet though.

oh i know it.. i went to the game the saturday night before super bowl XL in my randle el jersey.. i didnt get put on the jumbotron, but there were a lot of other steelers fans there as well.

BlastFurnace
01-19-2009, 05:18 PM
I have my concerns....but years from now...perhaps even next year....we will all be able to look back at how great this team is.

Seriously...how many of you remember all of Randel El's faults? Such as the ill-advised lateral to Hines Ward in the New England loss in Week 3 of 2005. What we do remember is that beautiful pass to Hines 4 months later that won us the Super Bowl.

I honestly didn't expect this great of a season. Even today...I am having a very hard time actually believing it is really happening. I think I'm going to watch the replay on NFL Network to try to soak it all in.

What this team did last night should be absolutely huge for the Steelers Fans psyche. We have seen 4 home AFCC Games in 15 years. Last night was the 1st time in 13 years that we got to celebrate in our own stadium.

Guys.....we are going to the Super Bowl despite our shortcomings...we should celebrate...because there are plenty of franchises who have never experienced this.

shevdog
01-19-2009, 09:11 PM
I was living up that victory last night when I was at Heinz Field! And that excitement is building!

I love how it was a blood bath last night, exactly what I expected! And I will never forget that game!

All the whinners need to shut up and get on the bus! Wait, that was last Super Bowl! LOL!

Steelers & I
01-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Although we are only fans of the team, I believe that some critique or complain based on the following: "If we ignore the past we are bound to repeat it".

I'll guarantee you that on Monday morning, the Steelers coaching staff addressed the same concerns that many of the fans have posted. Although the Steelers, or no other team for that matter, will NEVER play a perfect game, they must ALWAYS strive for perfection. At seasons end, the team that has played closest to perfection, usually walks away with the Lombardi Trophy.