PDA

View Full Version : Clark's illegal hit

zsheik22
01-19-2009, 01:40 PM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_zUlJAqeTuwY/SXQXNls3T_I/AAAAAAAAA7c/dJMHuawEqns/s400/Ravenshiat.jpg

I think some people, including Raven's fans need an anatomy class.

Hapa
01-19-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't get it?

Clark did hit him helmet to helmet... that's illegal.

It obviously wasn't on purpose though

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Nothing illegal about it. It's football, not tiddlywinks.

zsheik22
Do you see him leading with his head? Because I sure as hell dont. Well unless your shoulder is now your head.

Stang909
People are saying it was head to head when he clearly led with his shoulder.

stlrz fan
01-19-2009, 01:43 PM
People being Ravens fans?

steelreserve
01-19-2009, 01:45 PM
People are just idiots who are upset that their team lost, so they try to rationalize it by calling the other team dirty.

zsheik22
01-19-2009, 01:47 PM
People being Ravens fans?

And everyone else who is mad the steelers lost. So glad they replayed Holmes old TD in Baltimore and blew it up for everyone to see.

Hey the Ravens crying about the punt call? Didnt see them crying when they didnt get called on their delay of game in the Titans game, which the refs favored them.

I dont see them crying about the 10 flags they could have thrown when Harrison was being held (They should put a line up in Vegas for how many times hes gonna get held ina game)

And I sure as heck didnt see them or anyone else complaining when they always hit Ben late. If that was P Manning, Goodell would have come on the field and personally thrown a flag.

Hapa
01-19-2009, 01:47 PM
I know he led with his shoulder, (whether or not the rule is a good rule is besides the point), if you as a defensive player hit an offensive player head on with your helmet, it's illegal.

LVSteelersfan
01-19-2009, 01:49 PM
I knew as soon as I saw the hit that Ravens fans would be screaming dirty hit. I think the hit that bent Hines Ward's knee backwards was dirtier than that one. The only play the can even think of questioning was the roughing the punter call. That was bogus but it led to nothing any way.

zsheik22
01-19-2009, 01:49 PM
I know he led with his shoulder, (whether or not the rule is a good rule is besides the point), if you as a defensive player hit an offensive player head on with your helmet, it's illegal.

Yeah, it's the crown of your helmet and it's called spearing.

STEEL-MAN
01-19-2009, 01:50 PM
not open for discussion!

Hit was clean, they both dropped their heads at the same time, just glad both are ok.

I would like to discuss the cheap shot with the helmet in Bens back. Do ya think they were trying to hurt him? Whys know body talking about that hit?

fansince'76
01-19-2009, 01:50 PM

By that definition, at least 80% of all hits in the NFL are illegal then. IT'S NOT ILLEGAL WHEN LEADING WITH THE SHOULDER.

pghfrank1948
01-19-2009, 01:51 PM
He clearly led with his shoulder, and the momentum caused the helmet hit. Thats football !!!!

SteelMember
01-19-2009, 01:54 PM
I thought the shot Ben took in the back was more leading with the helmet. (when he threw the ball away over the endzone) not Clark's. :noidea:

cubanstogie
01-19-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't get it?

looks to me like he led with shoulder and feet are grounded. Whats the problem? They have zero to gripe about, Ben was hit in the back well after play. one dirty the other just football. Steeler football that is.

zsheik22
01-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Your feet dont have to be grounded.

Thats a hockey rule.

TackleMeBen
01-19-2009, 02:00 PM
not open for discussion!

Hit was clean, they both dropped their heads at the same time, just glad both are ok.

I would like to discuss the cheap shot with the helmet in Bens back. Do ya think they were trying to hurt him? Whys know body talking about that hit?
absolutely, they figured since they already had taken hines out, why not go for ben next. unfortunely, i guess the ravens didnt get the note, that ben is a mutant and it takes alot to take him out.

and the refs didnt call a penalty b/c his last name isnt brady or manning.

SteelTalons
01-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Even the talking head/steeler haters agreed its a LEGAL hit. He led with the shoulder, the Ratbird fans can whine all they want. Steeler Nation showed Willis respect as he was being carted off. The players/coaches of both teams know it was legal. But if Baltimore wants to make an issue of it till next season... By all means. Let them cry in their beers. I wont deny it was vicious but its a Steelers/Ravens game its not bingo with grandma.

Steelcitygal87
01-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Wonder why people didn't seem to be as upset over Ray Lewis's hit on the Titan player(can't think of his name at the moment)along the sidelines in the playoff game a few weeks ago, than they are over Clark's hit? With the Lewis hit he definitely led with his helmet...there was no shoulder involved...just helmet to helmet contact, yet I don't recall there being any uproar over it. I know the Titans player involved wasn't injured, but that doesn't mean a penalty shouldn't have been called. I truly thought Ray should have been flagged for that hit.

PisnNapalm
01-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Oh for crying out loud!!

Clark's hit was legal. It was hard. It was full speed. It was brutal.

He led with his shoulder. Whiplash happens in collisions like that.

You want to see an illegal hit? How about this one where Bart Scott clearly leads with his helmet.

bJQSXzFpT2c

zsheik22
01-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Oh for crying out loud!!

You want to see an illegal hit? How about this one where Bart Scott clearly leads with his helmet.

bJQSXzFpT2c

GREAT POST!!!!!!!!! Wow, that is the textbook definition of spearing.

OX1947
01-19-2009, 02:23 PM
(Bleep) the Ravens and (Bleep) their fans. The nerve to say that we are dirty when they have a scum sucking piece of crap cheap shot artist Terrell Suggs and DBs who spit in punters mouths like little bitches. (Bleep) them.....

TackleMeBen
01-19-2009, 02:25 PM
wonder if the league is going to fine him for that hit?lol

ShutDown24
01-19-2009, 02:27 PM
If you play the game you're going to get hit. Here's hoping McGahee gets well, but I don't give a shit if it was illegal or legal. It's football - take the diapers off.

kmsteelerwr15
01-19-2009, 02:30 PM

not to mention the spear Leonard gave to Ben's back in the 1st quarter :doh:

Giovanni
01-19-2009, 02:45 PM
I dont see them crying about the 10 flags they could have thrown when Harrison was being held (They should put a line up in Vegas for how many times hes gonna get held ina game)

This is a real problem right now. Harrison is literally held on every play and it is rarely called. He got one yesterday and he was being raped the enitre game. Those Raven fans who cry about bad calls are brainless. The fact is that we are a better team and if not for stupid mental mistakes, those rat birds are not in this game and they don't score a point.

Crow-Magnon
01-19-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm a Ravens fan and I had absolutely no problem with the hit, other than I thought McGahee and Clark were going to be screwed for life.

That's football, people. It's a dangerous game at times.

And trust me, all 32 teams have "fans" who piss and moan about every call that doesn't go there way. The only real, true BS call I saw yesterday was the roughing the punter flag. Hard to rough a punter when you don't even touch him. There were some iffy calls on both sides, but none stood out like that RTP flag. But those calls happen.

But that hit? No, Clark led with his shoulder. Those things happen.

zsheik22
01-19-2009, 02:56 PM
I went to post on the ravens forums...

They all monitor your posts before they even are posted, then gag you when they dont like the truth. I thought Hitler was dead, but apparently he is running the ravens forums.

Giovanni
01-19-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm a Ravens fan and I had absolutely no problem with the hit, other than I thought McGahee and Clark were going to be screwed for life.

That's football, people. It's a dangerous game at times.

And trust me, all 32 teams have "fans" who piss and moan about every call that doesn't go there way. The only real, true BS call I saw yesterday was the roughing the punter flag. Hard to rough a punter when you don't even touch him. There were some iffy calls on both sides, but none stood out like that RTP flag. But those calls happen.

But that hit? No, Clark led with his shoulder. Those things happen.

Both teams play and hit hard. Clark did lead with his shoulder and McGahee lowered his shoulder to engage Clark. I don't have the rule in front of me but they do not call helmet to helmet contact in that situation. It is only when the player is defenseless with no way to protect himself.

Crow-Magnon
01-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Both teams play and hit hard. Clark did lead with his shoulder and McGahee lowered his shoulder to engage Clark. I don't have the rule in front of me but they do not call helmet to helmet contact in that situation. It is only when the player is defenseless with no way to protect himself.

If you watch the tape of that game you'll probably see about 12-14 tackles with helmet-to-helmet contact, but they are not "helmet-to-helmet" tackles that draw flags or fines/suspensions.

It's almost impossible in some situations not to have some type of H-T-H contact.

zsheik22
01-19-2009, 03:14 PM
If you watch the tape of that game you'll probably see about 12-14 tackles with helmet-to-helmet contact, but they are not "helmet-to-helmet" tackles that draw flags or fines/suspensions.

It's almost impossible in some situations not to have some type of H-T-H contact.

Correct, but a few posts up you can clearly see what spearing is. If anything should have been called, it was that hit right there on WP.

Crow-Magnon
01-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Correct, but a few posts up you can clearly see what spearing is. If anything should have been called, it was that hit right there on WP.

Yeah, it should have. In some respects I think the officials were "letting them play."

stlrtruck
01-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah, it should have. In some respects I think the officials were "letting them play."

What I hate about the "let them play' is that they sometimes 'let them play" and then all of a sudden decide, "Well we haven't thrown a flag in 20 minutes let's make something up." Totally baffled the mind as a fan.

I love "Let them play" refs, I just wish they would let them play for the entire 60 minutes of football.

lilyoder6
01-19-2009, 05:28 PM
it was a clean hit.. u can see clark move his head to the left and lead with the shoulder.. it just happened that the helmets hit

quadruple yoi
01-19-2009, 05:38 PM
"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert

RoethlisBURGHer
01-19-2009, 06:11 PM
"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert

AMEN! :tt03::helmet::tt03:

As for helmet-to-helmet hits, it's only a penalty if the helmets collide before any other parts of the body.

In Clark's hit on McGahee, his shoulder hit McGahee first, and then physics took over and the helmets hit. It wasn't leading with your head in that case.

However, the Bart Scott spear on Willie Parker and the Leonard late hit on Big Ben were both leading with your helmet spears. Both should have been called, and IMHO, those hits should have also gotten the players ejected.

And just so nobody goes all apeshit and saying I only think that because it happened to Steelers players, did anyone see the late cheapshot on Warner in the NFC Championship Game? The guy that hit Warner should have been ejected for that hit. I have no problem with hitting and playing to the whistle, but cheap shots like that have absolutley no place in the game of football.

rich4eagle
01-19-2009, 06:18 PM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_zUlJAqeTuwY/SXQXNls3T_I/AAAAAAAAA7c/dJMHuawEqns/s400/Ravenshiat.jpg

I think some people, including Raven's fans need an anatomy class.

video pretty much shows it was shoulder contact first............thus a legal and brutal hit.........but haters will never agree:tt03:

zsheik22
01-19-2009, 06:22 PM
LOL. People would rather not view the pic and just keep living in denial about it.

jasonhightower
01-19-2009, 07:11 PM
Props to Kordell for sticking up for the hit while Skip Bayless is clearly clueless and thinks the players should be able to avoid the accidental helmet hits going full speed...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3844665

Preacher
01-19-2009, 08:46 PM
There is a very easy fix if they want to do it.

YOU MUST WRAP WHEN TACKLING.

If they don't want that rule, then stop putting in all these other idiotic rules.

Either you want the big hits for ESPN and the highlight reels, or you DONT.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Skip Bayless is an asshat who never stepped on a football field except for when he played the trombone in his high school marching band.

HometownGal
01-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Skip Bayless is an asshat who never stepped on a football field except for when he played the trombone in his high school marching band.

LMAO!!!! :laughing::toofunny: I've always pictured him as a band geek. :chuckle:

There was NOTHING illegal about that hit. Ryan was leading with his shoulder, McGahee lowered his head and KABOOM! I'm sorry Willis was hurt and I wish him well, but c'mon Rats fans - stop your whining. The final score didn't even come close to proving how badly the Steelers dominated that game.

steelergirl07
01-19-2009, 09:04 PM
It shouldn't even be an issue. You can clearly tell he didn't lead with his helmet. His shoulders hit first, helmets collided next. I'm glad he is going to be okay, but it's stupid if anyone says it's a dirty hit. It's not.

westcoastransplant
01-19-2009, 09:07 PM
You can definately see Clark turn his body to throw his shoulder at McGahee. When McGahee braced for the impact, his helmet came down and forward and that caused the helmet to helmet. Both were coming at eachother so fast, I'm impressed that Clark could have time to turn his body the way he did. I thought that the only penalty they can call is spearing, leading with the crown of your helmet. They added the Helmet to helmet for roughing the passer penalties.

devilsdancefloor
01-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Oh for crying out loud!!

bJQSXzFpT2c

I came out of my seat cause there was no flag! and no one is talking about the helmet to helmet hit on the teats FB or TE that ray ray threw last week. Infact i remember deerdork saying how good a hit it was.

Fire Haley
01-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Get over it

Steelers | Clark will not be fined for hit
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:49:21 -0800

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports Pittsburgh Steelers FS Ryan Clark will not be fined for his hit on Baltimore Ravens RB Willis McGahee in the AFC Championship.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-19-2009, 09:30 PM
I came out of my seat cause there was no flag! and no one is talking about the helmet to helmet hit on the teats FB or TE that ray ray threw last week. Infact i remember deerdork saying how good a hit it was.

Don't you know that you never question a Ray Lewis hit? if you do and he finds out, you're ass is getting shanked!

scsteeler
01-19-2009, 09:35 PM
not open for discussion!

I have said the same thing and The Ravens want to call us dirty I saw that hit and no one was saying anything about a helmet being aimed at the back of Ben's back close to his throwing shoulder, looked like to me they were willing to do whatever to win even if it cost them a penalty but it was a no call. For some reason Ben does not get this call, had it been Peyton Manning that guy may have been ejected for that hit.

Godfather
01-19-2009, 09:46 PM

I wonder if he ever got run over on a Stanford-Cal type play? Because a serious blow to the head is the only explanation for being that dumb.

NEPAsteeler
01-19-2009, 09:57 PM
They question what are clearly legal hits.. yet.. they never seem to call penalties when Ben is getting slammed into the ground or getting hit what seems like an eternity after he throws the ball.

jjpro11
01-19-2009, 09:58 PM
They question what are clearly legal hits.. yet.. they never seem to call penalties when Ben is getting slammed into the ground or getting hit what seems like an eternity after he throws the ball.

that late blow to ben's back was 10x more of an illegal hit than clark's.

NEPAsteeler
01-19-2009, 10:02 PM
that late blow to ben's back was 10x more of an illegal hit than clark's.

He was getting slammed all game long.

DP_Steeler
01-19-2009, 10:23 PM
The clark hit was made worse by the fact that both were moving towards each other very fast ... however he clearly led with his shoulder. As for Ben ... he was hit late several times and the one from the back was clear as day for everyone except the officiating team on the field.

MDSteel15
01-20-2009, 01:49 AM

That's not spearing, spearing is in the back.... it was helmet to helmet contact but not spearing..... The illegal spearing was the one Ben took in the back :banging:

MDSteel15
01-20-2009, 01:54 AM
Props to Kordell for sticking up for the hit while Skip Bayless is clearly clueless and thinks the players should be able to avoid the accidental helmet hits going full speed...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3844665

Skip Bayless is a tool.... He has no clue about REAL sports! He ran long distance for Dipshit U. ..... :coffee:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-20-2009, 03:35 AM
That's not spearing, spearing is in the back.... it was helmet to helmet contact but not spearing..... The illegal spearing was the one Ben took in the back :banging:

I was taught when I played that spearing is where you lead with the crown of your helmet. We were taught to "bite the ball", as in always lead with your facemask at the ballcarrier, not looking at the grass.

Galax Steeler
01-20-2009, 03:52 AM
Get over it

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports Pittsburgh Steelers FS Ryan Clark will not be fined for his hit on Baltimore Ravens RB Willis McGahee in the AFC Championship.

That is the correct call he should not be fined it was a good hit.

X-Terminator
01-20-2009, 04:09 AM
Get over it

The end.

sixstringlass
01-20-2009, 04:26 AM
The roughing the kicker penalty was BS, but it kinda-sorta made up for the non-calls for roughing the passer.

DACEB
01-20-2009, 06:13 AM
Marcus Allen said it best this mornign. The Defensive player cannot control what the Offensive player does with his body. If Willis doesn't lower his head he gets a nice hit shoulder to chest. It's just good hard football.

Great hit!!! Anthony Smith who??

Crow-Magnon
01-20-2009, 07:05 AM
What I hate about the "let them play' is that they sometimes 'let them play" and then all of a sudden decide, "Well we haven't thrown a flag in 20 minutes let's make something up." Totally baffled the mind as a fan.

I love "Let them play" refs, I just wish they would let them play for the entire 60 minutes of football.

I'm with you.

Stick with making calls the whole game. Its like an umpire changing the strike zone in the 5th inning.

HometownGal
01-20-2009, 07:30 AM
The end.

AMEN!!!!

Does this mean I can close this thread? :chuckle:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-20-2009, 07:42 AM
I don't get it?

Illegal hits are if you LEAD with your helmet.....Meaning the first thing that hits a player is your helmet..... Look at the video....its clear that Clark hit him with his shoulder pads and then the helmets collided.........

DACEB
01-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Illegal hits are if you LEAD with your helmet

Which Bart Scott clearly had one in the game. Can't remember the exact circumstances, but he nailed someone square in the facemask with the crown of his helmet.

revefsreleets
01-20-2009, 11:06 AM
I counted 3 illegal helmet-to-helmet hits in that game.

They were all committed by Ratbirds. And none were called.

That game is over. It was horribly officiated, but we won. I think we'll destroy the Cards regardless of the officiating.

I'm MOST worried about this trend continuing into next regular season.