PDA

View Full Version : Why two weeks?

Steel Mountain
01-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Okay, I, personally hate to wait for two weeks before the SB. I wonder if the players are happy for the rest or hating the rust/ momentum loss. I will not be selfish and say that they should play the next week for my sake, but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that most players would like to get right back after it the following week. Does anyone know if there is a marketing angle or if they are simply giving teams plenty of time to get healthy and watch film?

steelreserve
01-19-2009, 04:23 PM
When I was a little kid, I seem to remember them only taking one week. Then they added a second week for the hype.

Burghfan58
01-19-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm sure Hines will be happy for two weeks. It would be nice if they moved the game to Saturday evening. That way you could have some recoup time before heading back to work.

Steel Mountain
01-19-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm sure Hines will be happy for two weeks. It would be nice if they moved the game to Saturday evening. That way you could have some recoup time before heading back to work.

I see what you are saying, but I still bet money that Hines wants to play on WEDNESDAY!

kittenfantastico76
01-19-2009, 04:33 PM

I agree completely with both points in this. I can stand the waiting (sort of) but not the day after... thankfully my work knows I'm a huge fan so they'll probably have me in work... tired but working.

19ward86
01-19-2009, 04:50 PM
i dont mind. the ravens game was hard hitting and im pretty sure most would like a break.

TailgateMel
01-19-2009, 04:58 PM
We have performed well after bye weeks this year... both with the bye earlier in the season & in the "mini-bye" after the cincy game... and with the bye for the playoffs.

I think it is beneficial to us...

The superbowl planners need the time, there is soooo much stuff going on for the superbowl, they need the extra time to prepare...

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2009, 06:14 PM
When I was a little kid, I seem to remember them only taking one week. Then they added a second week for the hype.

True, but I have heard the arguement that the extra week sometimes gets players anxious, rusty, beaten down by the hype and I tend to agree.

Super Bowl XL was a great outcome, but not really that good of a game to watch. Same with XLI as the Bears really looked rusty, but XLII was a good game.

steelreserve
01-19-2009, 06:26 PM
True, but I have heard the arguement that the extra week sometimes gets players anxious, rusty, beaten down by the hype and I tend to agree.

Super Bowl XL was a great outcome, but not really that good of a game to watch. Same with XLI as the Bears really looked rusty, but XLII was a good game.

Honestly, I'd rather they just take one week and play the damn game. Weird stuff can happen after a long layoff, just like you said.

Plus, waiting that long is just murder on the fans. It gives you all kinds of time to think of things like, "Oh no, what if they have to use Maddox for some reason." I honestly have to say the break before Super Bowl XL was the longest two weeks of my life as a sports fan. Maybe this time it'll be easier because the teams aren't as evenly matched. I sure hope so.

LambertLunatic
01-19-2009, 06:26 PM

This is especially true of players that have never been to a Super Bowl before. S.B. veterans will be a little more immune to the distractions than players that have never played in one. This is just a little added edge that our team has, since most of our key players have been through the media frenzy before.

Petesburgh66
01-19-2009, 08:05 PM
The bye week is going to be a huge advantage for the Steelers in terms of resting up and game planning.

The Steelers had two bye weeks:

Oct 19 @Cincinnati Won 38-10
Jan 11 Sand Diego Won 35-24

The Steelers dominanted both games and the offense looked real good.

As for the Cardinals

Oct 26 @Carolina Lost 23-27

I suspect taking a week off is going to hurt the hot Cards offense.

revefsreleets
01-20-2009, 10:15 AM
There is so much going on peripherally the players need the extra time to prepare for the game. I don't care for it, but I understand it...

KeiselPower99
01-20-2009, 10:22 AM
I like it because you get a week to prepare at your place and then the next week to deal with all the media hype. With all the media encounters you have during SB week you lose practice time.