PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Senior Bowl

Aussie_steeler
01-20-2009, 06:08 AM
OK Draft guru's. Time to start scouting for our 2009 War room discussions. Here is a good place to start

http://www.draftdaddy.com/features/senior_2009.htm

Some interesting observations from Day 1

1. I know a lot of members are big on this guy.

Oklahoma OT Phil Loadholt had a good day. Loadholt was very physical and absolutely mauled defenders once he got his hands on them, which was to be expected from a guy who weighed in at 6-8 and 343 pounds. However, he also displayed good feet and showed the ability to handle speed rushers. Today at least.

2. One to consider as a Rd 2 prospect

The headliner of the day might have been Missouri DT Evander "Ziggy" Hood, who showcased his trademark hustle and tenacity. Hood's motor seemed to run non-stop and he was able to consistently make plays in one-on-one drills, dipping and getting past Alex Mack on more than one occasion.

3. One for the Alex Mack fans ( me included)

California C Alex Mack was reportedly the only lineman who could contain Boston College DT B.J. Raji on the first day of Senior Bowl practices.
Mack, who could probably play any line position except left tackle at 6'4/312, picked up Raji in one drill and drove him backwards off the football. Mack was allegedly more impressive than fellow highly touted C Max Unger of Oregon.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=5213&line=138233&spln=1

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks Aussie. I'm gonna be out of town for a couple days and missing Sr. Bowl week a bit, so please keep us (me) informed.

Mack, Raji and Loadholt looking good.......I like it!!

Here is another report:

Risers
BJ Raji/DT/Boston College: The Eagles' massive interior lineman was almost unblockable throughout the day in the North's practice. Raji displayed a very quick first step off the snap, which gave offensive linemen fits. He made it harder on his opponents by swatting blockers to the ground as they were left wondering how he got by them so easily.

Shawn Nelson/TE/Southern Mississippi: Nelson looked formidable during weigh-ins this morning, then took his athletic frame onto the field and impressed scouts. He's fluid moving around the field and fast -- very fast. Nelson was constantly beating opponents in the secondary and made a number of good plays in the secondary.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/19/senior.bowl.day1/index.html

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-20-2009, 10:02 AM
My new player to pimp this season....:chuckle:

Jarron Gilbert
January 17th, 2009 Shawn Posted in Zobel's Blog |

I got a chance to take a look at San Jose State defensive lineman Jarron Gilbert yesterday. All I can say is that this kid is a special talent. I really feel that if he lands with the right team at the next level that he could have a Pro Bowl-type of effect in the NFL. Gilbert, in my opinion, is a current second rounder and could easily land in the late-first if he has a good Combine, which should be expected. Gilbert is one of the most explosive athletes that Iíve seen in the past few years. His explosion can be seen here, as he literally jumps out of a pool from an underwater start. Iím telling you that you need to keep an eye on this player. Think of a much better version of Kentwan Balmer who went in the first round last year.
http://draftheadquarters.com/blog/?p=443

DE/DT Jarron Gilbert - The Best Player You've Never Heard Of?

DE/DT Jarron Gilbert, San Jose State: 6'6 280, 22 TFL's 9.5 sacks, 52 tkls.

Here is a guy I noticed when I was looking up stats and then did some more research. He plays DT and DE for the Spartans. With his frame he would be a very nice fit as a 5-tech in a 3-4. Gilbert has a nice first step and has a very good motor. The thing in watching his tape that really impressed was how well he used his hands. Often big guys can get away with not using their hands well becuase they can overpower their opponents but Jarron Gilbert does a great job of using his hands and has a nice repitoire of pass rush moves. He has nice closing speed. He does lack top end athletism but he is very strong and has a 635 squat. Gilbert has been productive throughout his career with 15TFL's and 9 sacks sn his Sphomore and Junior years. Jarron Gilbert from SDSU is a very intriguing prospect who may be one of the better 3-4 DE prospects in this draft class
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...jarron+gilbert

KeiselPower99
01-20-2009, 10:05 AM
What about Rhett Bomar? I think he could be a sleeper qb in the draft.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-20-2009, 10:47 AM
What about Rhett Bomar? I think he could be a sleeper qb in the draft.

Here is some word from the Senior bowl

Sam Houston St. QB Rhett Bomar easily had the best release and most velocity of all the signal callers on the North squad. He throws a real nice ball and it gets out of his hand very quick. His accuracy was relatively average today though.
http://www.draftdaddy.com/features/senior_2009.htm

Similar to what was said about Jake Cutler a few years ago.

KeiselPower99
01-20-2009, 09:25 PM
If I remember he was regarded as one of the next big things at Oklahoma. I hope he gets an honest shot with someone.

lilyoder6
01-20-2009, 09:34 PM
i was watching some of the pratice today.. and raji was just killing evryone.. just hoping he would be there for us..

derrick williams was looking good today too.. if the steelers are rly looking for a return man, he could be a good one and is showing some good wr skills...

anything on joe burnett?

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-21-2009, 12:28 AM
LLT, I think the word is out on your guy Gilbert. He is having a good Senior Bowl from what I have heard.

So too are Trevor Canfield, Louis Delmas, Peria Jerry and the guy we should have targeted this season David Veikune (instead of Bruce Davis)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/20/senior.bowl.day2/index.html

Herman Johnson is struggling as I thought he would. The guy is too Big and slow.

Herman Johnson/OL/LSU: Johnson has lined up at both his natural position of guard as well as right tackle. His size (6-feet-7, 382 pounds) has not transitioned into the ability to dominate the opposition. Johnson's immobility is obvious to all and at one point he was knocked to the ground due to his inability to move. Much was expected from Johnson this week but he has not responded and his draft stock is plummeting.

MasterOfPuppets
01-21-2009, 12:35 AM
LLT, I think the word is out on your guy Gilbert. He is having a good Senior Bowl from what I have heard.

So too are Trevor Canfield, Louis Delmas, Peria Jerry and the guy we should have targeted this season David Veikune (instead of Bruce Davis)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/20/senior.bowl.day2/index.html

Herman Johnson is struggling as I thought he would. The guy is too Big and slow.

Herman Johnson/OL/LSU: Johnson has lined up at both his natural position of guard as well as right tackle. His size (6-feet-7, 382 pounds) has not transitioned into the ability to dominate the opposition. Johnson's immobility is obvious to all and at one point he was knocked to the ground due to his inability to move. Much was expected from Johnson this week but he has not responded and his draft stock is plummeting.
382 ??? holy crap !!! i hope thats a type o.....:doh:

KeiselPower99
01-21-2009, 12:36 AM

He is from Hawaii right?? We still could take him and add to our outstanding lb corp.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-21-2009, 12:41 AM
382 ??? holy crap !!! i hope thats a type o.....:doh:

I think he just ate himself into the 4th round. I think the only people that really wanted him were reading the NCAA hype. He looked massive, but sluggish in the LSU games that I watched.

Typical case of a guy that can play the college game, but doesnt have the skills for the NFL.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-21-2009, 12:46 AM
He is from Hawaii right?? We still could take him and add to our outstanding lb corp.

Yeah, he is like a samoan version of Terrell Suggs. In the Hawaii Bowl he had this outside-in rush move that buckled Sam Young of Notre Dame to the point where he fell to a knee. Looks like he did it to Oher in the Senior Bowl.

David Veikune/DE/Hawaii: Veikune has worked hard the past two days and improved his game. The former Warrior was tenacious in run defense and also flew off the edge as a pass rusher. Several of his battles against top-rated left tackle Michael Oher ended up in his favor. In one instance he had the potential first-round pick twisted like a pretzel as Oher failed to protect the quarterback from Veikune's speed.

Veikune is an option in the case we cant extend Harrison, but I think we have too many LB's right now and few quality O linemen. We need to draft O line and not another pass rusher. Sorry for the broken record, but I wish they drafted Anthony Collins last season instead of Bruce Davis.......then this might be an option.

MasterOfPuppets
01-21-2009, 12:49 AM
I think he just ate himself into the 4th round. I think the only people that really wanted him were reading the NCAA hype. He looked massive, but sluggish in the LSU games that I watched.

Typical case of a guy that can play the college game, but doesnt have the skills for the NFL.he's listed at 340 or so.....how in the hell do you gain weight during the season??? i always lost weight even though i tried not too....:doh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-21-2009, 01:22 AM
he's listed at 340 or so.....how in the hell do you gain weight during the season??? i always lost weight even though i tried not too....:doh:
The LSU website had him at 6'7" 351 lbs........which if you look at him and compare to Loadholt, you see that Johnson is much bigger.

Johnson is 351.........about as much as Casey Hampton is 325 lbs. :wink:

Still rather have Robinson, Urbik, Canfield, Feinga, Vasquez over Johnson. Andy Levitre is getting some steam, but I thought he played mostly OT at Oregon St, so never evaluated his game as a guard.

Aussie_steeler
01-21-2009, 04:59 AM
I think Canfield would be an awesome addition to the Steelers O line in the 2nd round.

Trevor Canfield/OG/Cincinnati: Canfield has a reputation for being a nasty, fierce competitor and he showed why Tuesday. The former Bearcat starter was dominant at the point and handled almost everyone he faced. He's not only strong but also mean; he never let up. More than once he continued to play after the whistle, getting an extra shove in after the play had ended.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/20/senior.bowl.day2/

Trouble is the real O line need is at OT and I just dont think we find one at the bottom of the first round unless we reach ( not the steeler way) This makes our 2nd round pick look more like an RT leaving Canfield out there for another team.

Aussie_steeler
01-21-2009, 05:03 AM
Day Two report ( ESPN insider link that will disappear soon)

MOBILE, Ala. -- The temperature dipped nearly 20 degrees on Tuesday and swirling winds factored into both practices. It was the first of two days in which both teams will practice in full pads and the intensity level was ratcheted up a few notches as a result.

We have yet to reach the midway point of the 2009 Senior Bowl week, yet players are beginning to separate from the pack in both positive and negative ways. Here's a quick list of some of the early-week standouts from across both rosters:

Biggest risers
1. Boston College DT B.J. Raji
2. Southern Miss TE Shawn Nelson
3. USC linebackers Rey Maualuga, Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews
4. Western Michigan S Louis Delmas
5. California C Alex Mack

Biggest fallers
1. KSU G Herman Johnson
2. Central Arkansas QB Nate Brown
3. Alabama QB John Parker Wilson
4. Oklahoma OT Phil Loadholt
5. Penn State WR/RS Derrick Williams

The South team's second day of practice at the 2009 Under Armour Senior Bowl was notable for a few reasons, including USC linebackers running wild, a Clemson QB frustrating scouts and an LSU lineman's surprising struggles.

• USC's Brian Cushing is the rare prospect who will fit in any defensive scheme in the NFL. He can play inside or outside in either a 3-4 or 4-3. Very few linebackers have that ability. Where he looked best, though, was over the tight end as a strongside linebacker in the 4-3. His body type, power and aggression lend well to doing battle with opposing tight ends. For a taller linebacker, he gets low and is not a leverage liability. He showed quick hips turning and running with the tight ends. The one area in which he didn't look quite as comfortable was in his read-and-react skills while working in zone coverage. But overall, Cushing's wide skill set drastically reduces his draft-bust factor. If anyone here is a great fit for New England, it's Cushing.

• Cushing's teammate at USC, Clay Matthews, continues to be extremely impressive. He bends very well and always seems to be in proper football position. His change of direction is abrupt yet smooth. As an edge rusher, he did not lose speed bending the corner and got his shoulder low to the ground, making him very difficult to block. His pad level is consistently exceptional and he is an excellent hit-on-the-rise player who makes contact with the same leg and shoulder when taking on blocks. Matthews is very fundamentally sound but also very athletic. He would be an immediate demon on special teams while learning the linebacker position at the NFL level. At this point, it won't surprise us if the USC trio of Cushing, Matthews and Rey Maualuga are all off the board in the first 40 picks.

• Southern Miss TE Shawn Nelson continues to turn heads. He isn't the biggest tight end and this type of forum plays very well to his skill set, but his tools are undeniable. He looks like a Dallas Clark-type prospect who can create a lot of schematic problems for an NFL defense if he ends up with a creative and innovative offensive coordinator at the next level. Nelson is a seam-stretching presence who is capable of plucking the ball outside his frame and presents a big target area for his quarterback. He covers a lot of ground and can run past linebackers in man coverage. More surprising, however, has been Nelson's effectiveness as a blocker -- particularly in pass pro. His lateral agility and ability to recover were on full display during the one-on-one drills. He also was able to drop his hips and handle the bull rush from the linebackers off the edge. Needless to say, Nelson is climbing up NFL draft boards this week.

• There are some things that just make you scratch your head in wonder. Take Clemson QB Cullen Harper's Tuesday performance, for example. Harper displayed great balance in the pocket and the arm strength to make all the throws, including a deep out throw from the opposite hash to Arizona WR Mike Thomas that had plenty of zip and hit Thomas directly on the numbers during one-on-one drills. But Harper then missed wide-open South Carolina WR Kenny McKinley a few throws later. This is the same inconsistency that plagued Harper throughout last season. It is also evident Harper struggles with accuracy when he has to anticipate and throw to a spot. A clear example came during seven-on-seven drills when Harper was late anticipating Thomas on a deep dig route, forcing Thomas to open up and make a circus catch. Harper appears to have the physical tools for the NFL level but it is his mental capacity that has scouts weary at this point.

• Speaking of Thomas, he has taken full advantage of the all-star game circuit, starting with the East-West Shrine game and continuing to add to his solid resume here at the Senior Bowl. Thomas' consistency has caught the attention of scouts. He continues to display excellent quickness off the line of scrimmage that gives him an adequate initial cushion to work with against defenders. He also has been able to create separation with quick and crisp cuts out his stem. His hands have been his most impressive trait, though. He's been able to haul in almost every pass he can get his hands on over the past two weeks. Thomas has a chance to make himself a lot of money coming out of this week if he can sustain his current level through Saturday's game action.

• Another receiver who flashed this afternoon was McKinley. He can be extremely dangerous after the catch and shows good wiggle in open space to leave defenders reaching for air. However, there are concerns about his ability to get open. McKinley is raw with his routes and at times appears to get lazy and rises up coming out of his breaks. This tips off defenders, allowing them a quicker jump on the ball. Scouts have also expressed concerned about the 182-pound McKinley's ability to get off the line against the more physical corners he will face at the NFL level

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/news/story?id=3847744

I have a gut feeling that Cushing is going to wind up at the Pats and they are going to get one good player

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Aussie, any ideal why Williams and Loadholt are falling? Tony Pauline at CNNSI said Williams was by far the best WR on day 2 of practice.

Risers
Derrick Williams/WR/Penn State: Williams' vaunted athleticism was on display as he established himself as the best receiver on the field. Williams displayed speed, effective route-running skills and reliable hands. He beat defenders for the deep reception or physically beat them down to make the underneath reception. There's no doubt scouts were excited by Williams, who showed signs of pulling it all togher.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-21-2009, 11:14 AM
I think Canfield would be an awesome addition to the Steelers O line in the 2nd round.

Trouble is the real O line need is at OT and I just dont think we find one at the bottom of the first round unless we reach ( not the steeler way) This makes our 2nd round pick look more like an RT leaving Canfield out there for another team.

Now that you mentioned William Beatty, he is a possibility in the 1st. RT's are a dime a dozen in free agency or the 3rd round of the draft. Steelers need a LT of the future if Hills isnt gonna be it.

I could handle seeing someone like Beatty in round 1, DE Gilbert in the 2nd, then a guard like Feinga, Urbik, Vasquez or C Wood in the 3rd. That just means the Steelers need to sign a vet LT like Tra Thomas, M. Smith or St. Clair for a 2-3 year deal while Beatty learns the offense.

Aussie_steeler
01-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Aussie, any ideal why Williams and Loadholt are falling? Tony Pauline at CNNSI said Williams was by far the best WR on day 2 of practice.
]

Not sure why this report has them sliding. the rest of the report was hidden in the insider section.

Im with you - I think Loadholt has been described mainly in a positive manner

MasterOfPuppets
01-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Now that you mentioned William Beatty, he is a possibility in the 1st. RT's are a dime a dozen in free agency or the 3rd round of the draft. Steelers need a LT of the future if Hills isnt gonna be it.

I could handle seeing someone like Beatty in round 1, DE Gilbert in the 2nd, then a guard like Feinga, Urbik, Vasquez or C Wood in the 3rd. That just means the Steelers need to sign a vet LT like Tra Thomas, M. Smith or St. Clair for a 2-3 year deal while Beatty learns the offense.

walterfootball.coms views.....

# Phil Loadholt has a lot of buzz this week with great practices on Monday and Tuesday, but in footwork drills I felt he gets too high in his stance.

# Derrick Williams is a player I have been extremely frustrated with on film, and after today, I just think he needs to make a full time move to corner. He displayed, by far, the worst ball skills of any receiver out here, even muffing a few punts. His routes are lazy and he doesn't put much effort into selling them. The natural receiving skills just aren't there, but can he fly in the open field. Yeah, he can run a 4.3, but when it gets down to it, this is football. I really have a hard time liking this player. The receiving coach was really dogging him today and I can see why.

I was in the minority when I said Derrick Williams looked pitiful yesterday, but today he really turned it on. By far, he is the fastest receiver here and has so much explosion. I saw some good hands and competitiveness, but he isn't impressing the special teams coaches by dropping so many balls on punts and kickoff returns. This is a clear example of why I am adamantly not sold on his ball skills.

# The 382-pounder, Herman Johnson, was the talk of the day yesterday. Nearly all the draftniks I talked to had high expectations today after how in shape he looked. Unfortunately, he simply looked awful in 1v1s. His feet are very sluggish and he just looked lethargic. Lawrence Sidbury beat him with speed on more than one occasion and Johnson overextended. I am personally worried he just lacks the quickness to be taken in the second round. Losing weight isn't going to help him in my opinion. I am rooting for him because I want him to prove me wrong, but yesterday's effort isn't going to cut it.

# In the 1v1 battles going on at the North end zone, Ziggy Hood continued to dominate, but not if Kraig Urbik had anything to say about it. Urbik handled Hood's spin well and stood him up and displayed a nasty demeanor. B.J. Raji continues to impress, but Ron Brace looked really sluggish today in defensive line drills. He just lacks the agility and quickness to be a three technique and the more I see him, the more I feel like he is strictly a 3-4 nose tackle. Alex Mack pulled away in the center battle with Max Unger and he displayed a lot of strength and great technique. I really liked what I saw in Andy Levitre as he destroyed Alex Magee. Playing left tackle this year really helps his pass protection resume at guard and he is quickly becoming one of my favorite interior linemen since Duke Robinson dropped out this week.

William Beatty is a player I was really looking forward to since I only saw Connecticut play once. He has great feet and a quick kick step, but once he was in position, he simply lacked toughness and couldn't lock on. Larry English demolished him with a rip move (best rip move I have seen in years on film) and Beatty didn't have a chance.

tony hipchest
01-21-2009, 11:26 PM
tim ryan and pat kirwan are really high on raji, comparing him to cortez kennedy. also had good things to say about mack and that cushing would be perfect for the patriots. they seem to think there are about 3 senior tackles with a first round grade.

nice thing with their 4 hour show is that even with the superbowl looming, they are knee deep in scouting and interviewing these prospects.

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story?id=09000d5d80e4328a&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

MOBILE, Ala. -- Good senior college players gather here every year for the Under Armour Senior Bowl, which is their last opportunity to put on the pads and show the NFL general managers and coaches in attendance why teams should look at them in the April draft. In my opinion, it's an invaluable experience that any senior lucky enough to be invited should grab.

Of course, there always are some guys who turn down the invitation because they're fearful of injury or, in some cases, don't want to hurt their draft status by playing poorly in the week of practice or in the game. This year is no exception, as highly rated players such as linebacker Aaron Curry of Wake Forest, offensive tackle Eugene Monroe of Virginia, defensive end Michael Johnson of Georgia Tech and guard Duke Robinson of Oklahoma dropped out of the game. But other seniors were added to the roster, and they're here to make names for themselves.

I have watched a number of practices and interviewed players here for the past three days. Here are some of my early impressions:

Good-looking defensive tackles
If teams with 4-3 defenses are in desperate need of a defensive tackle, they're in luck because this draft has two of the best that I've seen in a while. B.J. Raji of Boston College and Peria Jerry of Mississippi are the cream of the crop and should go high in this draft.

Raji is a classic "three-technique" player who has first-step quickness to penetrate into the backfield and disrupt an offense. He's only 6-foot-1, but he's 334 pounds and is so powerful in the lower body that he looks unblockable at times. He's putting on the same kind of show we saw last year from Sedrick Ellis (now with the Saints), but Raji is 30 pounds heavier. There are some solid guards and centers here, but Raji is having no problem beating them in one-on-one drills and in the team period of practice.

For all the excitement surrounding Raji, there might even be more for Jerry. He, too, is a powerful one-gap penetrator, perfectly suited for a 4-3 defense -- but he's a little taller (6-2) and also has teams with 3-4 defenses interested. Jerry can penetrate a gap with ease, shed a blocker and make it look like the guy in front of him never found the weight room.

For teams with 3-4 defenses, USC's Fili Moala looks like a perfect "five-technique" player. He has room for growth in his big frame (6-4, 303) and the long arms to lock up on an offensive tackle and control the line of scrimmage. He's the cousin of Haloti Ngata, who lines up at nose tackle, or five technique, for the Ravens. Moala is versatile and brings the height that teams such as the Dolphins, Browns, Patriots, Steelers and now the Packers are looking for with their defense.

3-4 outside linebacker candidates
Personnel people always must do some projecting when trying to find outside linebackers for a 3-4 defense. They spend their time wondering if an undersized defensive end can stand up and play, or if an inside linebacker from a 4-3 defense can step outside. A couple of players at the Senior Bowl have started to intrigue the people who must make those decisions.

Larry English, an undersized defensive end (6-3, 255) from Northern Illinois, had good sack production in college. He also has a good motor and is a target of 3-4 teams.

Clint Sintim played the position at Virginia and, as one scout said, "What you see is what you get. He's been well-coached but may be better suited inside than out."

USC has two guys who jumped out during Tuesday's outside linebacker blitz period. Brian Cushing played defensive end, inside linebacker, outside linebacker and even some safety in the Trojans' hybrid defense. He reminds me of Mike Vrabel and fits the bill as a ready-to-play candidate in a 3-4 defense. His teammate, Clay Mathews, is smart, gives great effort and has sound technique, but he might need more physical development.

West Virginia QB Pat White is being looked at as an "athlete," but he has thrown the ball well in Senior Bowl practices.

Pat White, the West Virginia quarterback who measured just under 6 foot, has been labeled an "athlete", which translates into wide receiver/kick returner in the Antwaan Randle El mold. But White is turning some heads with his passing skills.

I talked with White on Tuesday, after a swirling wind led to a tough practice for all the quarterbacks. He has a quiet confidence about his throwing, and he just wants to help a team any way he can. He might be the best athlete on the Senior Bowl field.

People will say White was never under center at West Virginia, but he had no trouble with the center exchange in practice and told me he worked on it every day in college, even though the Mountaineers rarely used it in games. White has a better arm than Ravens backup QB Troy Smith when he came out of Ohio State and must be closely looked at in the months leading up to the draft.

Other players to watch
The guy I'm really interested in seeing at outside linebacker is Connor Barwin from Cincinnati. He's one of four players who caught my eye the first day here, and he continues to pique my curiosity each day.

Early in the week, Barwin worked at tight end -- his designated position on the Senior Bowl roster -- but he also rushed the passer in college and was productive. Not only can Barwin line up on either side of the ball, he also played college basketball. Combine that athletic ability with everything he learned about releasing on routes in football, understanding coverages in front of him and his Big East Conference-leading 11 sacks as a senior, and he might be the perfect 3-4 outside linebacker.

Ramses Barden, a 6-6, 227-pound wide receiver from Cal Poly, was a man among boys in small-college football, but at Senior Bowl practices, he looks like he belongs. For teams in need of a red-zone threat, this could be the guy to target. Barden demonstrates more playing speed than advertised and, in a couple of practices, reminded me of Saints wide receiver Marques Colston, who also came from a small school (Hofstra).

Rashard Jennings, a 6-1, 234-pound running back from Liberty College, is a young man who transferred from Pittsburgh to be closer to his sick father. He fits right back in with the big boys and has demonstrated all week that he can catch the ball, run with power and would fit in a rotation at the next level.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Yeah, Loadholt has decent feet, but not as good as Oher, Monroe and the other lighter guys. Again, I think he has good feet and uses his long arms well to become a Jared Gathier type LT. I dont know if I would take him until round 2-3 though.......not a lock.

Oher showed little or no punch in the practices I saw, but great feet. Johnson is pitiful......stay away from drafting him.

Jerry is great, but a 3-technique and doesnt fit a 3-4. Moala is powerful and quick. In a 1-on1 he decided to bull rush 380lb Herman Johnson into the QB and did. He would be a monster DE for the Steelers.

Levitre looks light and soft to me. Urbik a brawler, but not overly agile, Canfield plays high, but I think Mack, Canfield, Urbik, Wood, Caldwell are the better interior linemen in Mobile.

Alphonso Smith and Darius Butler look like NFL ready CB's. Quick to the ball, smooth hip turn and great instincts. The guy that also stood out was Derek Pegues from Ole Miss. Mitch King from Iowa is just a "Football Player" . A bit light for a DT, but not a pure DE. If he could play at 290, maybe he is a 3-4 DE.

MasterOfPuppets
01-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Player Height Weight Hand Arm Note on Body Type
47 OL
48 William Beatty 6060 291 10 1/8 34 1/2 Thin, flabby, very unimpressive
49 Antoine Caldwell 6033 307 10 3/8 33 3/4 Soft, flabby, unimpressive
50 Trevor Canfield 6044 311 9 1/4 31 Heavy, wide shoulders
51 Xavier Fulton 6044 301 10 1/8 33 Carries weight well, scrawny forearms
52 Tyrone Green 6015 305 10 1/2 33 Flabby, doesn't carry weight well
53 Herman Johnson 6073 382 11 1/4 36 Small boobs, carries weight extremely well, vine arms
54 Troy Kropog 6053 316 10 1/4 33 1/4 Okay, saggy, small arms
55 Andy Levitre 6023 306 9 3/8 32 3/4 Fire hidrant build, gut, flabby
56 Jonathan Luigs 6033 302 9 1/4 31 3/4 Big lower body, impessive back
57 Phil Loadholt 6080 343 9 7/8 36 1/2 Carries weight well, thick/long arms
58 Alex Mack 6041 312 10 5/8 33 1/4 Average
59 Michael Oher 6050 309 10 1/4 33 1/4 Carries weight well, huge thighs, solid
60 Anthony Parker 6017 310 10 34 1/2 Terrible, gut, flabby, high body fat
61 Ryan Shuman 6026 300 8 7/8 31 1/2 Wide base, heavy, not muscular
62 Max Unger 6046 299 9 3/8 32 1/2 Little gut, Average
63 Kraig Urbik 6053 323 10 1/4 33 1/2 Room to bulk up and fairly impressive
64 Jason Watkins 6060 317 10 1/8 33 3/4 Solid, good abs, man boobs
65 Eric Wood 6041 304 10 1/8 33 Solid with some muscle definition

MasterOfPuppets
01-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Player Height Weight Hand Arm Note on Body Type
70 DT
71 Ron Brace 6030 329 9 5/8 33 3/4 Man boobs, flabby, heavy
72 Cody Brown 6021 242 10 33 3/4 Nice upper body, good bulk
73 Ziggy Hood 6031 298 9 7/8 33 1/4 Carries wight well
74 Corey Irvin 6030 296 9 3/4 34 Not muscular, has a gut
75 Peria Jerry 6015 290 9 3/8 32 1/4 Flabby, gut, bad love handles
76 Mitch King 6014 275 10 31 Wide shoulders, bad arms
77 Fili Moala 6042 303 10 33 3/4 Unimpressive, huge back, thick arms
78 B.J. Raji 6015 334 10 1/4 31 1/4 Overweight, gut, man boobs
79 Vance Walker 6020 295 11 1/8 33 7/8 Unimpressive, thick, huge butt
81 DE
82 Robert Ayers 6031 273 9 7/8 32 1/4 Muscular, solid, thick, strong abs
83 Connor Barwin 6033 253 9 7/8 33 Top heavy, good abs
84 Will Davis 6023 262 9 3/4 31 5/8 Average
85 Larry English 6021 254 9 3/4 32 1/4 Nice quads and back
86 Tim Jamison 6025 265 9 3/8 33 1/2 Not muscular, wide legs
87 Kyle Moore 6046 265 9 1/2 33 3/4 Solid build, room for bulk
88 Lawrence Sidbury 6023 267 10 1/2 35 Arms are vines, big thighs
89 David Veikune 6022 255 10 1/4 32 3/4 Overweight, flabby

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-22-2009, 06:48 PM
I always find the description of "young men in shorts" as being a bit creepy. Nobody needs to see man boobs.

MasterOfPuppets
01-22-2009, 07:54 PM
I always find the description of "young men in shorts" as being a bit creepy. Nobody needs to see man boobs.even more disturbing than the man boob discription.....

then thiers the contradictions......48 William Beatty 6060 291 10 1/8 34 1/2 Thin, flabby, very unimpressive ....how can you be thin at 291 lbs? and how can you be thin and flabby at the same time?

89 David Veikune 6022 255 10 1/4 32 3/4 Overweight, flabby ......the guy is only 255, and plays football....he's gotta be in some kind of shape .....:noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-22-2009, 08:47 PM
even more disturbing than the man boob discription.....

then thiers the contradictions......48 William Beatty 6060 291 10 1/8 34 1/2 Thin, flabby, very unimpressive ....how can you be thin at 291 lbs? and how can you be thin and flabby at the same time?

89 David Veikune 6022 255 10 1/4 32 3/4 Overweight, flabby ......the guy is only 255, and plays football....he's gotta be in some kind of shape .....:noidea:

Maybe Beatty lost 50 lbs on Jenny Craig. Now he needs a tummy tuck. Honestly 6'6" 291 isnt that thick for a LT. I saw him in a Sr. Bowl practice and thought he moves well, but didnt anchor against the bull rush. He is looking like a 2 year project to bulk up and learn the NFL system.

Veikune looked good in the Hawaii bowl and even more impressive in the practices in Mobile. But, then again......so did Jesse Mahalona a couple years ago. :noidea:

Texasteel
01-24-2009, 07:10 AM
Maybe Beatty lost 50 lbs on Jenny Craig. Now he needs a tummy tuck. Honestly 6'6" 291 isnt that thick for a LT. I saw him in a Sr. Bowl practice and thought he moves well, but didnt anchor against the bull rush. He is looking like a 2 year project to bulk up and learn the NFL system.

Veikune looked good in the Hawaii bowl and even more impressive in the practices in Mobile. But, then again......so did Jesse Mahalona a couple years ago. :noidea:

I didn't care for Beatty much, he reminders me of an OT last year that I didn't want either. He is quick enough to get in front of the defender, but then gets pushed back wards. I do hope someone will fall in love with him and he pushes another good player to us.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-24-2009, 10:50 AM
I didn't care for Beatty much, he reminders me of an OT last year that I didn't want either. He is quick enough to get in front of the defender, but then gets pushed back wards. I do hope someone will fall in love with him and he pushes another good player to us.

Yeah, he kind of reminds me of Chris Williams from Vandy that the Bears drafted. Only Williams looked as if he played soft and Beatty seems to battle a bit more.

I think Beatty could be our pick at the bottom of the 1st or maybe trade up in the 2nd. He would not play in 2009, but rather be like Timmons was and then get exposed to the offense more in 2010. He needs time in the weight room and practice time, but has nice feet and technique.

Loadholt kills me. If I had his size, I would be making $7mil a year in the NFL. The kid just needs to bend his legs, learn to punch and extend those long arms, along with developing a nice pass blocking base. He is a mauler in the run and looking more like a RT in the same class as Alex Boone. I just hate wasted potential, but hope the kid does well in the NFL.

Texasteel
01-24-2009, 11:07 AM
I've been reading about a kid out of Hampton, that seems to be moving up. You know anything about Chris Baker 305lb DT. Could he line up at DE in a 3-4.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-24-2009, 11:38 AM
I've been reading about a kid out of Hampton, that seems to be moving up. You know anything about Chris Baker 305lb DT. Could he line up at DE in a 3-4.

He is just a shade under 6'2" and around 300lbs. I think a guy that compares to Peria Jerry, Sedrick Ellis, Trevor Laws, etc. More of a 4-3 DT than a 3-4 DE I think.

Ziggy Hood from Missouri is approx 2 inches taller and only 295 lbs. He looked good at the Senior Bowl this week as a non stop motor guy, with quick hands and feet. I think he could possibly make the transition to a 3-4 DE

Evander Hood/DT/Missouri: Hood could've been an easy guy to miss with all the available talent on the defensive line, yet he made his mark and stood out when the opportunity arose. Hood played with a non-stop motor, working hard until the whistle blew. He was another whose quickness and explosion gave blockers fits. Hood now grades as a solid early second rounder, about 20 spots better than where he stood a week ago.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/super-bowl/01/23/seniorbowl5/index.html?eref=T1

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Its so funny how subjective these talking heads are about the draft and specifically Mobile. Mayock and Davis were just glowing over Pat White and saying he is a 2nd round pick. Mayock hedged his eval by saying its contingent on White showing he can be a slot receiver and return guy. Davis thinks he will have a role for 10-15 snaps a game in the "Wildcat" in the NFL.

I tend to disagree. I think the Wildcat is a passing fad that will last shorter than Disco did. I see White as a talented athlete who should play WR, because his passing skills are not even as good as former Buckeye Troy Smith.

Tony Pauline has him as a slider in this report:
Pat White/QB/West Virginia: Scouts who thought White could play in the NFL must now rethink that opinion. White's a talented athlete who shows minimal consistency and accuracy throwing the ball from the pocket. He is now likely to spend time working out with the receivers at the combine in February. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/super-bowl/01/23/seniorbowl5/index.html?eref=T1

Funny how 2 draftniks see the same guy so differently.

Texasteel
01-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Actually I do know about Hood and have been watching him from time to time. I think he is a very real option for us if we want to go DL in the 2nd.

KeiselPower99
01-24-2009, 10:13 PM
the qb from Central Arkansas is having a great game. The fullback from LSU looks promising as well.

MDSteel15
01-25-2009, 12:46 AM
I thought Pat White looked good in the game today, but he only wants to play QB.... Good luck Pat!

steelerdave1969
01-25-2009, 10:44 AM
the qb from Central Arkansas is having a great game. The fullback from LSU looks promising as well.

FB Quinn Johnson looked awesome last night in blocking and receiving, I would love to see the Steelers get him. We need our FB back in our lineup to help out blocking. But this guy showed last night that he can be a pretty good reciever as well.
I wouldnt mind at all seeing the Steelers use a 4th or 5th round pick on a young promising QB to groom just in case we dont keep Leftwich or Batch.

lilyoder6
01-25-2009, 11:55 AM
i told ya that pat white was going to suprise some ppl in the sr bowl game... the man def helped his stock

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-25-2009, 12:29 PM
I wouldnt mind at all seeing the Steelers use a 4th or 5th round pick on a young promising QB to groom just in case we dont keep Leftwich or Batch.

We already did that last season.........Dennis Dixon is exactly that!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-25-2009, 12:34 PM
i told ya that pat white was going to suprise some ppl in the sr bowl game... the man def helped his stock

Right you were!! Mayock said after the game that he is a 2nd -3rd round guy, but only for the right GM that tells him he is gonna be used in a wildcat formation, be a slot receiver and return kicks.

I think he needs to show he can play slot receiver and return kicks before anybody drafts him that high. Randle El was a Senior Bowl MVP, but so too were QB's , Charlie Frye, Cade McNown, Dameyune Craig, Bobby Hoying, Pat Barnes.

Personally, I dont want White unless he is a great slot receiver, as we already have Dennis Dixon on the roster. I'd rather have Quan Cosby if he slips to the 4th round.