PDA

View Full Version : The Colbert Report

mesaSteeler
01-20-2009, 06:50 AM
The Colbert Report
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/01/20/sports/doc49755ea4032a7181848056.txt

By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff
Published: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:22 AM EST

PITTSBURGH — For someone who rarely shows his emotions, Kevin Colbert was sure fired up Sunday night.

As the Steelers’ personnel director, he watches home games in the owner’s private box along with chairman Dan Rooney and team president Art Rooney II. Like his bosses, Colbert is a low-key guy who prefers to avoid the spotlight.

But Colbert was anything but low-key after Troy Polamalu’s amazing interception in the 23-14 win in the AFC Championship Game. The moment Polamalu dashed into the end zone to complete his 40-yard return, Colbert thrust his fist into the air as if to say, “Yes!”

Tiger Woods may be the master of the fist pump, but Colbert has great form, too.

At least he did as the Steelers secured another trip to the Super Bowl by beating the archrival Baltimore Ravens for the third time this season. He looked like Woods has so often in his career after draining a spectacular putt.

Then as Polamalu’s teammates mobbed him, Colbert did it again and again. He swung his fist skyward several times in a gesture that showed his true emotions.

After the game, much was made of the fact that Mike Tomlin is the youngest head coach to make it to the Super Bowl. No doubt, Tomlin’s role can’t be overstated.

But the same goes for Colbert. He’s the guy most responsible for securing the players Tomlin coaches.

Since he was hired by the Steelers in 2000, Colbert has done a masterful job finding talent.

In concert with ownership and coaches, Colbert and his scouts have built the Steelers primarily through the draft. There are always going to be some misses. Alonzo Jackson and Ricardo Colclough, second-round picks in 2003 and ’04, are obvious ones.

But overall, Colbert’s drafts have brought solid returns.

It’s easy to hit it right in the first round with picks like Casey Hampton, Polamalu, Ben Roethlisberger and Santonio Holmes. But choosing linebackers Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley in the first two rounds last year was a stroke of genius. And what about Ike Taylor’s surprise selection in the fourth round in ’03?

Consider how important free agents signed under Colbert’s watch have been. That list includes Jeff Hartings in 2001, James Farrior in ’02, Ryan Clark in ’06 and Justin Hartwig and Mewelde Moore this year.

How about undrafted free agents like Willie Parker and Nate Washington?

Piece by piece, Colbert has helped forge contenders ever since he’s been here. He’s only been part of one team that finished with a losing record (6-10 in 2003). But he has been part of four teams that have played in the AFC Championship Game.

Now Colbert is going to the Super Bowl for the second time in four years.

Surely that’s worth a fist pump that Tiger Woods would be proud of.

HometownGal
01-20-2009, 07:51 AM
I don't think a lot of Steelers fans realize how important Kevin Colbert is to this franchise. As the article so states, he stays in the background and you really don't hear much about him. He has been the architect of our awesome Steelers teams for 9 years now, and if I may say so myself, he's gone above and beyond doing a great job in securing talented, dedicated and physical football players to wear the black 'n gold. :tt02:

Great job Kevin and THANK YOU! :drink: :hatsoff:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-20-2009, 11:41 AM
lol... At first I thought the article was about this guy!
http://inplacenews.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/00001f.jpg

markymarc
01-20-2009, 12:28 PM
That is a very good article on Colbert and thanks for sharing it. No doubt Kevin Colbert has been instrumental in the Steelers success since coming here. Of course he is going to get draft picks wrong, but in the end who doesn't. He is great at providing this team with talent through the draft and FA. Can't wait to see how Colbert and Tomlin approach this off season considering all of our own FA players and trying to address some things like the OL and DL. Also, does anyone else think that when Cowher does return to coaching he will want Colbert?

Hines4ever
01-20-2009, 12:30 PM
lol... At first I thought the article was about this guy!

OMG Me too!!!!!! Thought how cool is it that he is a steeler fan????

fansince'76
01-20-2009, 12:30 PM

Disturbing. :horror: