PDA

View Full Version : Ed Reed's Pick 6

steelerchad
01-20-2009, 07:35 AM
NEVER HAPPENED!!

But Troy's sealed the game.

After hearing all week how great Ed Reed was and that he would pick one and take it to the house. It was great to see Troy make play after play until he put the final nail in the coffin with the pick 6. His stuff on 4th and inches. Clutch open field tackle in the flat and finally the pick and incredible return. All the while, I don't remember Ed Reed doing anything in this game. He was a non factor.

DACEB
01-20-2009, 08:06 AM
When Troy picked off that pass and was running it back to the house, I just kept yelling 'Reed who.... Reed who?'.

F the Rats!!

Indo
01-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Troy is, without any doubt, the BEST DB in the game :hatsoff:

slippy
01-20-2009, 09:11 AM
reed was a non factor in the game. he went for the pick on ward's 45 yard catch, and missed it. then watched santonio score a TD.

bye ed.

jjpro11
01-20-2009, 09:13 AM
the best defensive back of the decade was on the field sunday night in a steelers uniform.

Cordlisberger
01-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Troy is, without any doubt, the BEST DB in the game :hatsoff:

Troy is the BEST

klick81
01-20-2009, 09:57 AM
I honestly don't see what the big deal is about Reed.

He's a very good player, but I honestly think that Polamalu is at a higher level all together than this guy. He's much more well rounded.

steelerchad
01-20-2009, 10:14 AM
I honestly don't see what the big deal is about Reed.

He's a very good player, but I honestly think that Polamalu is at a higher level all together than this guy. He's much more well rounded.

You're correct. Reed is a very good player and any team would be glad to have him.

But, he's 1 dimensional. He's a ball hawk, period. He can get the int and take it to the house which is both spectacular and game changing because it's instant points on the board.

Troy has all of the skills of a great defender not just a DB.
He stops the run. 4th and 1 stop of flacco over the top.
He's a sure tackler. Open field solo tackle in the flat of McGahee.
He can pressure the QB.
And he can pick it and take it to the house.

Steelcitygal87
01-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Troy is my favorite player, and yes I agree he is the BEST of the two as far as an all around, complete player....but it sounds as though some of you think Ed Reed is not that impressive. "Ed Reed 'WHO'??" Come on...he deserves more respect than that. Most games he makes a lot of great plays. No, he was not a factor in the AFC Championship game, but that is not a good overall picture of just how great a player he really is. I guess I am just not willing to throw away how good he has been over the course of his career, based on one game. I LOVE Troy..love the way he plays the game, his attitude on and off the field...but I also have a great deal of respect for Ed Reed as well.

2008 stats ( this is not counting the playoff games..and I am just posting this to show you how close the 2 are stat wise)

Ed Reed

tackles 41, sacks 1.0 , ff 1, int. 9

Troy

tackles 73, sacks 0, ff 0 , int. 7

Go Steelers! :tt03:

Steelcitygal87
01-20-2009, 10:27 AM
You're correct. Reed is a very good player and any team would be glad to have him.

But, he's 1 dimensional. He's a ball hawk, period. He can get the int and take it to the house which is both spectacular and game changing because it's instant points on the board.

Troy has all of the skills of a great defender not just a DB.
He stops the run. 4th and 1 stop of flacco over the top.
He's a sure tackler. Open field solo tackle in the flat of McGahee.
He can pressure the QB.
And he can pick it and take it to the house.

See, I agree with everything you have said( actually, as far as tackling goes their styles are very different...Troy is more the type of player who lunges at the guys legs and tries to take his feet out from under him, where as Ed is more a wrap em up kind of guy). I just get a tad frustrated with( and my post was more directed at) those people who are talking as if Ed Reed doesn't deserve any respect at all for what a good player he has been over the years. He plays his position to the best of his ability and does a great job...can't ask for more than that from a player.

Edman
01-20-2009, 10:42 AM
If Ed Reed doesn't get an interception in a game, he's about as invisible as a ghost. So funny seeing his halfhearted pursuit on the Santonio TD catch. He's a great ballhawk, but he's one dimensional.

Troy does more than ballhawk, he can tackle and play the run as well as any linebacker out there. Troy can do anything Ed Reed can do, but Ed Reed can't do everything Troy can do.

scsteeler
01-20-2009, 10:44 AM
I like Troy over Ed Reed because he can play all over the field and Ed Reed plays a within his realm but with that said they are both great players.

Justlovethegame
01-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Someone said earlier that comparing them is like comparing Peyton to Brady and that basically sums it up

It really makes no sense argue whose is the better safety. They are both great playmakers for their respective defenses and mean a lot to them too. If you are going to compare them, why not do it when they actually played the SAME position.

Ed Reed SS 2004

Led secondary and tied for 4th on the team (Kelly Gregg) with 89 tackles (80 solo) and led the team with 17 PD

2 TDs, including 1 FR for a TD, 3 FFs and 2 FRs and 2 sacks 9 INTs

Broke the NFL single-season record with 358 INT return yards

1st-team All-Pro by AP, C&PFWA, Football Digest and All Conference and All NFL by PFW

And to top it off, He Won Defensive Player of the Year

He played SS in college its what he was drafted as and he was asked to do those duties, hence him having 85 tackles his first year and 86 his second year

To say that he doesn't make crazy acrobatic plays is also off: He is tied for the most blocked punts returned for touchdowns in NFL history with 2, Holds the record for longest return for a touchdown and lines up as a punt returner.

When your middle linebackers combine for 240 some tackles theres no need to provide run support. Ever notice that even though Reed may not make a lot of the tackles the Ravens still rank high in stopping the run consistently?

At the end of the day they are both great players. Polamalu happens to be my favorite steeler because of his talent, passion, and humility. The only thing I wish is that he'd put more bass in his voice : )

Steelcitygal87
01-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Someone said earlier that comparing them is like comparing Peyton to Brady and that basically sums it up

It really makes no sense argue whose is the better safety. They are both great playmakers for their respective defenses and mean a lot to them too. If you are going to compare them, why not do it when they actually played the SAME position.

Ed Reed SS 2004

Led secondary and tied for 4th on the team (Kelly Gregg) with 89 tackles (80 solo) and led the team with 17 PD

2 TDs, including 1 FR for a TD, 3 FFs and 2 FRs and 2 sacks 9 INTs

Broke the NFL single-season record with 358 INT return yards

1st-team All-Pro by AP, C&PFWA, Football Digest and All Conference and All NFL by PFW

He played SS in college its what he was drafted as and he was asked to do those duties, hence him having 85 tackles his first year and 86 his second year

To say that he doesn't make crazy acrobatic plays is also off: He is tied for the most blocked punts returned for touchdowns in NFL history with 2, Holds the record for longest return for a touchdown and lines up as a punt returner.

When your middle linebackers combine for 240 some tackles theres no need to provide run support. Ever notice that even though Reed may not make a lot of the tackles the Ravens still rank high in stopping the run consistently?

At the end of the day they are both great players. Polamalu happens to be my favorite steeler because of his talent, passion, and humility. The only thing I wish is that he'd put more bass in his voice : )

"At the end of the day they are both great players. Polamalu happens to be my favorite steeler because of his talent, passion, and humility. The only thing I wish is that he'd put more bass in his voice : )"

That sums it up perfectly. He is very soft spoken, isn't he? lol Every time I hear him talk his voice is barely above a whisper.

Go Steelers! :tt02::tt03: