PDA

View Full Version : Cowher vs. Tomlin

public - enemy
01-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Yeah bill had some terrible q.b. play and turnovers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man what a breath of fresh air. I think about the steelers under cowher ultra conservative
in the playoffs and afcc games. Tomlin does not try to run against brick wall with the running game. He takes chances and plays to win and not to lose. The players like this
guy and I love his saying Don't be the one to get a dwi get into trouble etc.

Justin Otstott
01-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Yea tomlin might have more of a chance of winning the big games.

Steeldude
01-20-2009, 10:06 AM
cowher did well when he had a QB. unfortunately, he and the FO thought a WR(kordell) could play QB in the NFL.

if the steelers had at least a somewhat average QB they would have had two more SB trips in the 90's, IMO.

public - enemy
01-20-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm suggesting the ride to get to the superbowl. The ride was alot easier after
cowher stopped playing martyball. I remember Bill Belichick comment about
our team before facing us in the 04 championship For the most part we know the
steelers are going to run the ball and they are a running powerful team. Now let me translate they are going to run on 1st down get 1 or 2 yards 2nd down get 1 or 2
and then get them into a 3rd and 7or 8, with their q.b and me being a defensive
genius it will be like taking candy from a baby. As far as kordell goes he threw
in'ts in the 4th quarter when he should have been using legs instead of trying
to be a pocket passer.PLayers play, but coaches have got to put them in the best position to win and play up to the players strengths

scsteeler
01-20-2009, 10:15 AM
cowher did well when he had a QB. unfortunately, he and the FO thought a WR(kordell) could play QB in the NFL.

if the steelers had at least a somewhat average QB they would have had two more SB trips in the 90's, IMO.

The name that should not be mentioned Neil O'Donnell can be said to be an average to better than average QB and he cost us the Big Game. I just think Cowher and Tomlin have a different coaching styles and Tomlin's style is doing pretty good now.

Edman
01-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Tomlin is certainly more aggressive than Cowher. But he also didn't have Kordell Stewart or Neil O'Donnell under center. If Quentin Coryatt holds onto that ball in 1995, O'Donnell wouldn't get the honor of at least going to XXX to throw it away.

If Kordell were our QB last Sunday, I would bet dollars to donuts we'd be stewing over a depression right now at yet ANOTHER Home AFC Championship game loss. Some QB's are big time. Kordell was not big time. Big Ben IS big time.

Enough of that, though. No ill will towards Kordell. Us Steelers fans just don't know how good we have it with Ben Roethlisberger.

public - enemy
01-20-2009, 10:26 AM
average superbowl winning q.b's
mark rypien, bob greise, trent dilfer
brad johnson, phil simms and jeff hostetler
Now those guys are HOF.

public - enemy
01-20-2009, 10:33 AM
I forgot Doug Williams

scsteeler
01-20-2009, 10:40 AM
I forgot Doug Williams

Have to Disagree with you that Doug Williams was average he was better than average with one of the strongest arms I have seen. I saw Doug play when he first came into the league as the starter for the then new franchise Tampa Bay Bucs.

fansince'76
01-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Before Heinz Field's construction, Cowher also had to deal with a revolving door in FA where we were pretty much guaranteed to lose our best players every single year, his coaching staff was being raided and we lost valuable assistants on an almost yearly basis, and yet he still managed to keep this team near the top of the heap through most of his tenure. Minimize Cowher's accomplishments all you want, but he was an outstanding coach.

I'll reserve my comparison of Cowher and Tomlin for at least another decade or so, because it's an unfair comparison to both of them at this point in time.

scsteeler
01-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Before Heinz Field's construction, Cowher also had to deal with a revolving door in FA where we were pretty much guaranteed to lose our best players every single year, his coaching staff was being raided and we lost valuable assistants on an almost yearly basis, and yet he still managed to keep this team near the top of the heap through most of his tenure. Minimize Cowher's accomplishments all you want, but he was an outstanding coach.

I'll reserve my comparison between Cowher and Tomlin for at least another decade or so, because it's an unfair comparison to both of them at this point in time.

As posted in my earlier post they are 2 different coaches with different styles. Why compare them? There will come a time with Tomlin just like Cowher where fans will be asking for his head on a platter. True fans of the game understand that no one can go to the superbowl every year and there will be rough times ahead and you just whether those times until the team gets back on top again.

fansince'76
01-20-2009, 11:07 AM
As posted in my earlier post they are 2 different coaches with different styles. Why compare them?

I agree, and that's partly why I deferred from making a comparison. However, a thread title of "Cowher vs. Tomlin" to me suggests a comparison be made.

BlastFurnace
01-20-2009, 11:12 AM

I'll reserve my comparison of Cowher and Tomlin for at least another decade or so, because it's an unfair comparison to both of them at this point in time.

Agreed. The only thing at this point that I will say is that Tomlin had a better 2nd year than Bill had...but Tomlin also had a much better team. Who knows what would have happened in 1993 had Barry Foster not hurt his foot during that Monday Night against Buffalo. Leroy Thompson could not carry the load that year the way Barry would have. Barry's injury hurt us quite a bit that year.

I loved the Cowher years...particularly 1992 through 1997.

Dino 6 Rings
01-20-2009, 11:15 AM
As of today. Cowher has a Ring...Tomlin does not.

Lets wait and see what happens in 2 weeks.

MJ5150
01-20-2009, 11:18 AM
When Cowher walked, I cried. I was almost convinced that we were doomed to failure for 5-6 years.

When they announced Tomlin, I nearly jumped out of my skin with excitement. The man exudes confidence and conviction, yet he is not conceited in any way. A calm cool confidence that I sure wish I had in my daily life. I want to work for him so bad, he looks like the perfect boss who totally trusts and believes in his employees.

I still love and miss Cowher, but I have no worries about Mr. Tomlin showing us the way to Steeler domination for the next 15+ years. I just hope Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder doesn't steal him from us.

-Mike

scsteeler
01-20-2009, 11:34 AM
When Cowher walked, I cried. I was almost convinced that we were doomed to failure for 5-6 years.

When they announced Tomlin, I nearly jumped out of my skin with excitement. The man exudes confidence and conviction, yet he is not conceited in any way. A calm cool confidence that I sure wish I had in my daily life. I want to work for him so bad, he looks like the perfect boss who totally trusts and believes in his employees.

I still love and miss Cowher, but I have no worries about Mr. Tomlin showing us the way to Steeler domination for the next 15+ years. I just hope Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder doesn't steal him from us.

-Mike

No Way Tomlin goes to work for any of those guys. He will be a Steeler coach for years to come.

Dino 6 Rings
01-20-2009, 11:35 AM
How about when Tomlin yelled to the fans "I absolutely Love You Guys!"

That was greatness.

Dodt
01-20-2009, 11:37 AM
i swear if in the next 10 years he gets us a least 3 more rings the noll vs tomlin talk will begin .

drizze99
01-20-2009, 11:50 AM
YEP

markymarc
01-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Let's give Tomlin 15 years before comparing him to Cowher. But there is no doubt Tomlin is off to a very good start in his young coaching career. Tomlin is building his own legacy and will give the fans plenty to talk about while he is here.

OX1947
01-20-2009, 12:40 PM
If Cowher had Big Ben from the beginning like Belachick had Tom Brady, Cowher would have won at the very least a couple of Super Bowls. Especially during the 90's. Only superstar Qbs were in the big games and won those big games. And even the ones that were superstars came away with SB MVP'S.

MaidenIndiana
01-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Lets not get so full of ourselves that we start trying to run down one of our own. Cower was a great coach and possibly is heading to the HOF. His tems made the playoffs his first 5 years ( something only Paul Brown has done) and if not for O'Donnel would've had a SB win. Tomlin is off to a great start, but let's not forget all that the "Chin" did for us. There will be plenty of time later for comparisons

JPSEMP
01-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Although not the biggest, I was a Cower fan. There are some things I see in Tomiln that I like and there are a few things that make me scratch my head. Over all both men have the gift of leadership which will cover up a blunder every now and then. In my opinion the best definition of leadership comes from the military ( the ability to inspire others to accomplish a mission or goal by providing purpose, motivation, and direction). When you listen to either of these men speak it is easy to see why they are both successful as head coaches.

TheManOfSteel
01-21-2009, 05:20 PM
So I am sitting at my dads talking football with him and my brothers. Some how my brother got on my opinion of Tomlin. So i was wondering what you guys/gals thought.

I think Tomlin is a GREAT coach. The way he has the team 1st 2nd 3rd stringers feel need and to bring there best game all year long. My brothers think Tomlin had to do nothing just go coach and the team will do the job. They claim this is 99% Cowhers guys Cowhers team not Tomlin's guys/team.

I never seen Cowher rank the #1 Defense ever. Tomlin did it twice in two years. Cowher didnt start Harrison, Tomlin cut Porter and started Harrison. Woodley is Tomlins draft pick, so is Gay. The offensive line is not the same unit Cowher had.
Cowhers teams sucked against the past, Tomlins are the best. We have more INT's under Tomlin.

Also they claim Tomlins 1st Drafts sucked.
Timmons
Woodley
Gay
Spaeth
I think its pretty damn good. Timmons could be a starter Woodley is a GREAT LB
Gay is doing a damn for a 6 rounder.
Spaeth had a pretty good first year i dont know why we dont use him more.

Note: My brothers think Ben should of been benched for Leftwich. Parker for Moore and oh yeah Hampton for Hope.

I like them but not over ARE STARTERS ever!

So please tell me what you think.

Preacher
01-21-2009, 05:23 PM
So I am sitting at my dads talking football with him and my brothers. Some how my brother got on my opinion of Tomlin. So i was wondering what you guys/gals thought.

I think Tomlin is a GREAT coach. The was he has the team 1st 2nd 3rd stringers feel need and to bring there best game all year long. My brothers think Tomlin had to do nothing just go coach and the team will do the job. They claim this is 99% Cowhers guys Cowhers team not Tomlin's guys/team.

I never seen Cowher rank the #1 Defense ever. Tomlin did it twice in two years. Cowher didnt start Harrison, Tomlin cut Porter and started Harrison. Woodley is Tomlins draft pick, so is Gay. The offensive line is not the same unit Cowher had.
Cowhers teams sucked against the past, Tomlins are the best. We have more INT's under Tomlin.

Also they claim Tomlins 1st Drafts sucked.
Timmons
Woodley
Gay
Spaeth
I think its pretty damn good. Timmons could be a starter Woodley is a GREAT LB
Gay is doing a damn for a 6 rounder.
Spaeth had a pretty good first year i dont know why we dont use him more.

Note: My brothers think Ben should of been benched for Leftwich. Parker for Moore and oh yeah Hampton for Hope.

What do I think?

I think they make Bungles' fans sound like they understand football.

TheManOfSteel
01-21-2009, 05:23 PM
They also wanted Arian fired!

TheManOfSteel
01-21-2009, 05:25 PM
What do I think?

I think they make Bungles' fans sound like they understand football.

lol.... I agree.

TheSteelCurtain
01-21-2009, 05:42 PM
I could go off on this Bungles Fan for a hour. But instead im gonna go with.

Dont Have Children.

HometownGal
01-21-2009, 09:44 PM

I think your brothers should buy some new hashish - the stuff they're puffin' is tainted.:wink02:

As for comparing Tomlin and Cowher - you have two great coaches with two different philosophies. Both are definitely players coaches and have almost genius-like football minds. Both are proven winners. Cowher was more conservative and Tomlin is more the risk taker. They both believe(d) in the Steelers "way" but take different approaches. All I can say here is as a Steelers fan, we are damned blessed to have had legendary coaches in the Emperor Chaz and The Chin and we continue to be blessed to have found another coach destined to be a legend in Mike Tomlin. :hatsoff:

Godfather
01-22-2009, 12:37 AM
I've been hearing the same crap on the college level about $aban and Miles, even though Miles had everyone for 3 years when he won his championship. That means he was primarily responsible for their development and recruited all of the contributing underclassmen. If it weren't for the QB situation we'd have won 10 games again.

Tomlin has put his mark on the team enough to claim full credit for our success this year.

AllD
01-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Spaeth doesn't have the same hands that Miller has. Although Spaeth is a much bigger target, get the ball near Miller and he comes up with it like magic...

markymarc
01-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Cower was a great coach and possibly is heading to the HOF.

There is no possibly about it. Cowher will be in the HOF one day.