PDA

View Full Version : Steelers weak link may be Ike Taylor

public - enemy
01-20-2009, 12:24 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it seems that for the most part he is step-for-step with a WR, but sometimes doesn't look for the ball. On the legitimate PI call for face guarding, I was at the game watching from the far endzone. I just couldn't understand why he didn't turn around to play the ball, since the WR had put his arms out to catch the ball. But even more important is that the pattern was taking him to the corner of the endzone and had basically run out of real estate. Same thing with the Vincent Jackson TD against SD. He was covering him like a glove but never turned around to play the ball even when he was 5 yds in the endzone.

Dino 6 Rings
01-20-2009, 12:27 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it seems that for the most part he is step-for-step with a WR, but sometimes doesn't look for the ball. On the legitimate PI call for face guarding, I was at the game watching from the far endzone. I just couldn't understand why he didn't turn around to play the ball, since the WR had put his arms out to catch the ball. But even more important is that the pattern was taking him to the corner of the endzone and had basically run out of real estate. Same thing with the Vincent Jackson TD against SD. He was covering him like a glove but never turned around to play the ball even when he was 5 yds in the endzone.

Ike has the job to cover the #1 guy of the other team. Usually, those guys aren't seeing lots of balls because of his tight coverage. Sometimes he gets burnt, sure, soemtimes he makes great plays on the ball. Its his jamming at the line to disrupt the pattern and his shut down style coverage that causes the QB to hesitate in the pocket which then allows that extra second our LBs or DL need to get into the QBs face.

scsteeler
01-20-2009, 12:39 PM

What part of the Carolina do you live so I can come over and slap you for posting this. Ike has done a great job of covering all season and because he can't or does not turn around while running with a receiver is crazy. I guess we have to find something to complain about on that defense. LOL

FacemeIke
01-20-2009, 12:53 PM
There was someone from N. Carolina sitting behind me in section 520 on the far side of the field at the game. Anyways, couldn't disagree more, Ike doesn't get much help and still shuts down the opponents #1 receiver game after game.

jev7452
01-20-2009, 12:53 PM
What part of the Carolina do you live so I can come over and slap you for posting this. Ike has done a great job of covering all season and because he can't or does not turn around while running with a receiver is crazy. I guess we have to find something to complain about on that defense. LOL

yeah if its anywhere near wilmington then look out!! i absolutely love ike taylor, i think he is an incredible cornerback and he will be able to prevent fritzgerald from making some big plays on Feb 1st

revefsreleets
01-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Shutdown corner.

Period.

scsteeler
01-20-2009, 12:58 PM
yeah if its anywhere near wilmington then look out!! i absolutely love ike taylor, i think he is an incredible cornerback and he will be able to prevent fritzgerald from making some big plays on Feb 1st

Yes Ike does a great job and just like A great QB throwing an INT, good CB's will get beat sometimes it will happen but Ike has played a great and the real key is going to be the pressure we can put on Kurt Warner and if Jame Harrison gets the holding calls because he is held a lot.

OX1947
01-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Ike is a shut down corner. If the man could catch the ball, he would be a perennial pro bowler. He has already covered Moss, Owens, Chad Johnson twice, Wayne, Braylon(even though he sucks this year) twice, etc and done amazing work.

public - enemy
01-20-2009, 01:10 PM

Let me tell you this we can agree to disagree, but slapping me come on guy.
I'm 6' 3 225lbs. muscle and entitled to my own opinion and Ike has to play smarter
because he can run with any receiver in the league, all I'm saying is that he has to
play the ball better and on our def. he's the only player that worries me.

fansince'76
01-20-2009, 01:13 PM
This defense has faced five of the ten most potent passing attacks the league has had to offer over the course of this season, and it's still #1 against the pass and by a fairly sizable margin, along with being the stingiest in points allowed. I'm not worried about this defense or anybody on it, personally.

public - enemy
01-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Ike is a shut down corner. If the man could catch the ball, he would be a perennial pro bowler. He has already covered Moss, Owens, Chad Johnson twice, Wayne, Braylon(even though he sucks this year) twice, etc and done amazing work.

how can you say if he could catch and shut down corner in the same sentence.Ike
is better because of what lebeau and tomlin have done to help make him better and tomlin
has demanded his d'bs play better.

Michael Keller
01-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Ike Taylor is the BEST cover man playing in a superior defensive backfield. Ike will hold his own against Fitgzerald. The words "Fitzgerald (Is) was not a factor in this game" will be heard loud and often on February 1st.

Starter your absolutely correct in your post.

With what this team has gone through there is no way the Cardinals are going to deny the Steelers NUMBER VI and you can count on Ike to come through.

revefsreleets
01-20-2009, 01:20 PM
If Ike could catch he'd be one of the best WR's in the league.

Frankie3521
01-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Let me tell you this we can agree to disagree, but slapping me come on guy.
I'm 6' 3 225lbs. muscle and entitled to my own opinion and Ike has to play smarter
because he can run with any receiver in the league, all I'm saying is that he has to
play the ball better and on our def. he's the only player that worries me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/auciker/internet_serious_business3.jpg

Nidan
01-20-2009, 01:37 PM
This defense has faced five of the ten most potent passing attacks the league has had to offer over the course of this season, and it's still #1 against the pass and by a fairly sizable margin, along with being the stingiest in points allowed. I'm not worried about this defense or anybody on it, personally.

That statement is highly misleading, given that you haven't play the Cardinal's yet.

Regular season
Total Offense #3
Passing Offense #2

And maybe more telling

Post Season
Total Offense #3
Passing Offense #4
Rushing Offense #4

fansince'76
01-20-2009, 01:39 PM
That statement is highly misleading, given that you haven't play the Cardinal's yet.

Regular season
Total Offense #3
Passing Offense #2

And maybe more telling

Post Season
Total Offense #3
Passing Offense #4
Rushing Offense #4

And you haven't faced a D anywhere near as good as ours yet. You may think you have, but you haven't.

Frankie3521
01-20-2009, 01:41 PM

Regular season
Total Offense #3
Passing Offense #2

And maybe more telling

Post Season
Total Offense #3
Passing Offense #4
Rushing Offense #4

You guys really have to quit with your statistics, because we don't have one of the best defenses in NFL history to combat your amazing offense. It's quite depressing. I bet you guys win 100-0, no problem. The Cardinals are so amazing, they have looked good ALL YEAR. I'm so afraid of them, every time Warner throws a pass to Fitzgerald, the best receiver to ever play the game, I jizz in my pants a little bit.

The Duke
01-20-2009, 01:43 PM
sigh.....

Ike Taylor- one of the best in the league. Only corner I'd take over him is Asomugha

But keep disrespecting, he always proves everyone wrong

stlrtruck
01-20-2009, 01:47 PM

Regular season
Total Offense #3
Passing Offense #2

And maybe more telling

Post Season
Total Offense #3
Passing Offense #4
Rushing Offense #4

And your chest thumping about the cardinal's offense is highly misplaced - especially in a Steelers forum. I'm going to make this easy on you and your :troll: friends.

# 1 DEFENSE IN THE NFL!

The cardinals have only heard of the nightmares that this defensive unit can create. While Whiz may have the boys flying high enroute to Tampa, he's forgetting one thing. DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!

Thump your chest :troll:, this board has run amuck the last 2 weeks with chargers and ratbirds :troll:s telling us how terrible we were going to get it from the likes of Sproles, Rivers, Gates, Jackson, etc. and then Flacco, Heap, Mason, Lewis, Suggs, Reed, etc. and both those teams were beat into submission and I would summize that the ratbirds have a superior defense to the cardinals and that the chargers offense was, supposedly, just as strong as the cardinals.

So keep thumping your chest, just make sure in 13 days you come back and eat your crow, err, cardinal!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Dont use stats if you have to (obviously) leave out important aspects of those stats.

Regular season
Total Offense #3
Passing Offense #2

Let me fill in the missing information

Regular season
Rushing Offense #32

Now go look up the term "one dimensional" and get back with us when you can be a little more honest
:wave:

stlrtruck
01-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Wait, come to think of it, I guess every chain has it's own weak link and if our weak link is our shut down corner - that leaves a lot of problems for Warner.

Godfather
01-20-2009, 02:04 PM
I hope Ike is our weak link. If that's true we can put the sixth Lombardi in our trophy case right now.

tony hipchest
01-20-2009, 02:14 PM

]larry fitz is a great receiver. there are arguments that he and andre johnson are the 2 best in the league.

ike taylor has already shut down johnson. how fitting he gets to shut down the 2 best in the 1st and last games of the year.

LVSteelersfan
01-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Fitz may get one big pass play in the game. It happens to the best. But I guarantee if you can't run the ball, Ike will be all over him. Most teams want to play defense by playing 10 yards off the ball and hoping their front 7 can get to the QB before he throws it to Fitz or Boldin. The Steelers play it differently than any team you schmucks have faced. Did you see Flacco looking everywhere for a receiver and constantly he could find no one to throw it to and he would get pressured into an INT or get sacked. Sorry, but your defense is the one that is going to get torched in this game, not the Steelers. Defense wins the ring and the Cards do not have one.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-20-2009, 02:46 PM
First off, Ike Taylor is a shut down corner. A shutd own corner's job is NOT to get a trillion interceptions in a season but to shut down the other team's best recieving threat.

In 2005 Deltha O'Neil of the Bengals had 10 interceptions. Did anyone outside of Bengal-land think he was a shut down corner? No, because he also got burned a lot.

If Ike Taylor could catch the football, he would be a wide receiver.

Now the PI call, it happens. Please, don't tell me you can be running full speed down field and then last minute get turned around and still be on position to make a play on the football. Ike does a damn good job. If he is our weakest link, that's fine with me because we have a pretty damn strong weak link.

slashsteel
01-20-2009, 04:03 PM
There is no weak link on our D , we will ride them all the way to number 6!

ShutDown24
01-20-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm 6' 3 225lbs. muscle and entitled to my own opinion

What the...?

If Ike Taylor is the weak link of this defense then wow, the Cardinals have no chance.

revefsreleets
01-20-2009, 08:18 PM
What the...?

If Ike Taylor is the weak link of this defense then wow, the Cardinals have no chance.

Yeah, I thought the same thing initially. It's an INTERNET BB. I could just as easily say "I'm a 300 year old 57 pound mummified corpse and I'm entitled to my opinion", which, technically might actually be correct, but WAY too much unnecessary and irrelevant info...and none of which actually helps VALIDATE that opinion.

CPanther95
01-20-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm 6'2" 225 lbs muscle - coated with an extra 25 lbs of a protective layer of non-muscle.

Near Carowinds outside Charlotte, and I smack like a woman protecting her young. Let me know if I can help. :)

Preacher
01-20-2009, 11:06 PM
I'm 6'2" 225 lbs muscle - coated with an extra 25 lbs of a protective layer of non-muscle.

Near Carowinds outside Charlotte, and I smack like a woman protecting her young. Let me know if I can help. :)

:toofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-21-2009, 12:54 AM

Throw in a kick for me too. :kick:

Taylor is the #1 corner on the #1 rated pass defense in the NFL.....but doesnt get picks. Randy Moss got 45 yards on Taylor this year...................Swaggin'

Steeldude
01-21-2009, 01:10 AM
taylor is a good CB and fitzgerald is a good WR. taylor has the speed and size to cover fitgerald.

the last time they met(2007), fitgerald went 10 for 120 yds. i am not sure if taylor covered him on every play.

one thing is certain. if taylor plans of using face-guarding to cover fitgerald then expect taylor to have a long day.