PDA

View Full Version : Dick LeBeau to retire after Superbowl???

tony hipchest
01-20-2009, 05:15 PM
theres a rumor i heard on the radio....

i hope it isnt true but you never know. if a team needed a d- coord this was the year to get it.

who would you want (or have wanted) if it comes to pass?

(plenty of head coaching experience for guys looking for work as coordinators- i think i left out 1 or 2)

i woulda wanted capers. he is now the coordinator for the packers and will be switching them to a 3-4. still cant believe he was relegated to a secondary coach last season.

VTsteel
01-20-2009, 05:16 PM
theres a rumor i heard on the radio....

i hope it isnt true but you never know. if a team needed a d- coord this was the year to get it.

Bill Cowher

stlrtruck
01-20-2009, 05:18 PM
I refuse to acknowledge this thread exists until after the Super Bowl. LOL

Steel Mountain
01-20-2009, 05:20 PM
I refuse to acknowledge this thread exists until after the Super Bowl. LOL

+1 times 1000.

KeiselPower99
01-20-2009, 05:24 PM
All the guys on that list have jobs now. If it does happen I say our Lb coach or John Mitchell take over.

stlrz fan
01-20-2009, 05:27 PM
I've thought about that too.

Stlrs4Life
01-20-2009, 05:51 PM
All the guys on that list have jobs now. If it does happen I say our Lb coach or John Mitchell take over.

I hope so to. I voted Haslet.

tony hipchest
01-20-2009, 05:51 PM
All the guys on that list have jobs now. If it does happen I say our Lb coach or John Mitchell take over.rams hired a new hc, herm is hanging by a thin thread, and ron meeks was just fired. :noidea:

ALL of them were recently unemployed (which is the point).

Polamalu43
01-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Hope LeBeau does not retire after we win the SB. that would really suck, we need him!

steeltheone
01-20-2009, 06:17 PM
I don't believe Haslett has a job yet.

slippy
01-20-2009, 06:19 PM
what's he gonna do all day, play golf with dick hoak?

his mother's 90, he'll coach another 20 years!

Fire Haley
01-20-2009, 06:19 PM
More garbage rumors.

Shove it.

BlastFurnace
01-20-2009, 06:22 PM
I started thinking about that when they gave him his 50th Anniversary celebration. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

BlastFurnace
01-20-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't believe Haslett has a job yet.

After what he said about the steroid use of the 70's Steelers and how bad that hacked off the Rooney's.....he has absolutely no chance of ever being a Steelers employee ever again.

NJarhead
01-20-2009, 06:47 PM
I would like to see a past Steeler (Rod Woodson?) come on board to be groomed for the job. Just my humble opinion.

Big D
01-20-2009, 07:16 PM
mike nolan-broncos and dom capers-packers arent available

86WARD
01-20-2009, 07:29 PM
silly rumors...i'd take capers.

JPSEMP
01-20-2009, 07:51 PM
I would stay in house Keith Butler or Ray Horton. If they gave the job to Mitchell maybe they could promote Arians to assistant H/C and hire someone else to call plays. ( just kidding ).

revefsreleets
01-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Interesting. I wonder if he will...why not?

He's IMO in the HOF. He'll have 2 new rings in 3 years. What else does the guy have to prove? He's rich, and he can retire in style.

I guess it comes down to what his competitive juices tell him...

Regardless, whatever the dude decides to do I respect his decision. He's earned it...

BehindSteelCurtain
01-20-2009, 08:19 PM
It wouldnt suprise me.....He might want to end his career with a SB.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-20-2009, 08:20 PM
I would stay in house Keith Butler or Ray Horton. If they gave the job to Mitchell maybe they could promote Arians to assistant H/C and hire someone else to call plays. ( just kidding ).

They could hire me to call plays.

HometownGal
01-20-2009, 08:25 PM
NO ONE, but NO ONE, can ever replace our beloved Coach Lebeau. Those are some enormous shoes to fill. When the Steelers win the SB on February 1st, I believe Papa will retire shortly thereafter and though my black 'n gold heart would break into a million pieces, I'd be happy for him. He's had a phenomenal career! :drink:

I chose Jim Haslett but I wouldn't object whatsoever to Dom Capers returning to the Burgh.

lilyoder6
01-20-2009, 08:28 PM
well dom capers is the NEW DC of the packers.. so i doubt he would come to pitts...

i think that bellick would be a good DC.. but hopefully the rumors are false

Fire Haley
01-20-2009, 08:34 PM
The new rumor I hear is Cowher will come in next year as defensive coordinator when LeBeau retires.

Pass it along.

tony hipchest
01-20-2009, 09:18 PM
More garbage rumors.

Shove it.dont get your panties in a knot.

jasonhightower
01-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Crazy, but I thought about this on Monday. It pains me to even think about it, but I would prefer someone who has the same mentality on how to be successful with this defense, so I would lean toward a young, inhouse guy.

scsteeler
01-20-2009, 09:36 PM
If LeBeau does retire I think there are coaches on the team now that have studied him for years and have learned a lot from being around him. But until I hear this as fact I will not even acknowledge this rumor.

Would have to see LeBeau go but I understand you get burned out after all those years.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-20-2009, 09:37 PM
I would prefer in house.

This way the playbook really isn't getting changed any. All of our assistant defensive coaches are well versed in Coach Dad's zone-blitz schemes, so we wouldn't have someone coming in and trying to run a different type of 3-4.

But if Coach LeBeau decided to retire, I will respect his desicion and honor him with a moment of silence. He should already be in the Hall of Fame as a player...and he damn well better get in as a coach.

Preacher
01-20-2009, 09:44 PM
I've thought about this for the last couple weeks for some reason.

I think what I would want to see is Lebeau signing on for 3 more years. Then picking a 30-something and teaching him the defense. The first year, he just learns and watches. The second year, he consults with Lebeau on the plays. The third year, he calls the plays and lebeau listens in, with the ability to stop/change it.

That way, we have a smooth transition.

Oh, and then we sign the new kid to a 4 year contract so he cant bolt.

Fire Haley
01-20-2009, 10:01 PM
dont get your panties in a knot.

That's rich, coming from a Polly Pissypants supporter.

Daytona is only 3 weeks away.

CargoJon
01-20-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't want any of the guys on that list.

If it were Haslett, I'd burn every piece of Steelers gear I own. That guy has made an ass out of himself the last 2 cities he's been in. No thanks.

Gregg Williams was already hired by the Saints, so he, Capers, and Nolan are out.

tony hipchest
01-20-2009, 10:06 PM
mike nolan-broncos and dom capers-packers arent availableread the OP please as that was already noted.

interresting.... 7 votes for other but no suggestions for the "other" in question. :noidea:

really though. lebeau is 70 years old and his retirement is a definite possiblity. only a moron would write it off as impossible and not consider a back-up plan.

Fire Haley
01-20-2009, 10:07 PM
In my world Dick Lebau will live forever.

tony hipchest
01-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Gregg Williams was already hired by the Saints, so he, Capers, and Nolan are out.can people not read or what?

joeyssteelcurtain
01-20-2009, 10:13 PM
i hope he stays forever

Fire Haley
01-20-2009, 10:23 PM
If I smacked your nose with a rolled up newspaper I bet you'd see my way.

Steelers & I
01-20-2009, 10:54 PM
I've thought about this for the last couple weeks for some reason.

I think what I would want to see is Lebeau signing on for 3 more years. Then picking a 30-something and teaching him the defense. The first year, he just learns and watches. The second year, he consults with Lebeau on the plays. The third year, he calls the plays and lebeau listens in, with the ability to stop/change it.

That way, we have a smooth transition.

Oh, and then we sign the new kid to a 4 year contract so he cant bolt.

That sounds like a plan to me, in fact it sounds like a plan that should have been implemented about 3 years ago.

A friend and I were talking just the other day about possible candidates to replace LeBeau. We went through a list of former Steelers players and attempted to decide who would make the best defensive coordinator. We narrowed it down to Carnell Lake and Kevin Greene. We gave Kevin Greene a little more credence due to the fact that he has served as a special assistant during Steelers training camp.

By the way, what ever happened to Darren Perry? He was on the coaching staff for a year or two and then he simply disappeared. I thought for sure that the Steelers were grooming him to take over one day.

tony hipchest
01-21-2009, 12:24 AM
By the way, what ever happened to Darren Perry? He was on the coaching staff for a year or two and then he simply disappeared. I thought for sure that the Steelers were grooming him to take over one day.he was hired by the raiders and has since disappeared.

im thinking hes having steak dinner with james lofton somewhere and filing for unemployment. not sure though. he still might be a raider.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-21-2009, 12:30 AM
I dont know if Keith Butler is up to the task. Something tells me that he has a good idea of how the system works.

If so, I go with Butler. If not, then Haslett is the top choice.

The Duke
01-21-2009, 12:45 AM
I dont know if Keith Butler is up to the task. Something tells me that he has a good idea of how the system works.

If so, I go with Butler. If not, then Haslett is the top choice.

I've been been behind Butler being Dick's successor for a while. Linebacker is one of the most, if not the most important position on this defense, so he clearly knows the system

Plus the players seems to like him. Of course he is no "dad", but someone will have to take over at some point, even if it means changes

I just hope aaron smith isn't serious when he says he doesn' want to play for anyone but him.

Man....it will hurt so bad when he retires....

OX1947
01-21-2009, 12:50 AM
Keith Butler would take over if Lebeau retires. This defense is set for the next 4 years and would like to keep it in the family.

LVSteelersfan
01-21-2009, 02:00 AM
Rumor has it that Arians will retire after the Super Bowl. (PLEASE RETIRE AFTER THE SUPER BOWL) Who would you want to replace him with?

Mike Shanahan (so we can get back to running again)

Mike Martz (so we can go totally away from the running game and make Ben happy)

Limas Sweed (because he knows how a WR gets open but can't hang onto the ball. He might as well coach since he has a contract any way)

Brett Favre (who will retire from playing finally but won't be able to stay away from the game)

Sorry, couldn't resist. I don't even want to think about Lebeau leaving.

Galax Steeler
01-21-2009, 03:52 AM
I voted Capers but if he is gone to the packers then I would take Haslett but I hope it don't come down to this.

Aussie_steeler
01-21-2009, 05:52 AM
Keith Butler knows the system and would maintain the aggresive style of play.

I would stay in house for this hiring. It looks like the days of the Tampa 2 defence are coming to an end so Tomlin will probably remain a 3-4 zone blitz disciple.

markymarc
01-21-2009, 07:24 AM
I would absolutely hate to see LeBeau retire. But if it did happen I would go with either John Mitchell or Mike Nolan.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Great poll Tony...Gotta go Haslett!!

SteelMember
01-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Butler could be a good choice.

How about Tom Bradley. I think he might have a better chance here behind LeBeau than continuing to wait behind Paterno. :noidea: :chuckle:

stlrtruck
01-21-2009, 08:44 AM
I went with the presumption that the question is a BIG IF question so I answered in house guy

CargoJon
01-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Guys you have no idea how bad Haslett is. The couple of years he was here he was masked by good personnel and having Cowher around.

He is absolutely terrible, cannot evaluate talent to save his ass, and knocked up a cheerleader while "coaching" the Saints. And let's not even mention is tenure with the Rams.

No. No. Hell no.

CaliStillersFan
01-21-2009, 03:58 PM
I doubt he will retire, look at Paterno (he makes LeBeau look young). If he wants a chance of getting in the HOF as an assistant, he is going to need to win this Super Bowl and maybe another.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-23-2009, 12:15 AM
LaBeau isn't going anywhere. Was just watching Savran on Sportsbeat and they were having a round table and Gary Dulac made this comment about Labeau.

"...the testament to Dick LaBeau is the fact that you look at the age disparity with Mike Tomlin and Dick LaBeau, Those players respond to each for a different reason but they respond to each and even today Dick LaBeau acknowledger that at his age at 71 that maybe these guys might think he's to old and if they ever think he is to old he would get out. But they don't because the player don't look at him in that regard..."

It doesn't sound to me like the mad scientist will be leaving his defensive laboratory anytime soon. Pappa LaBeau will still be pacing the sidelines for many more years. Hell his mom is 98 years old and sharp as a tack.

:tt02::tt02:

jasonhightower
01-23-2009, 12:23 AM
Guys you have no idea how bad Haslett is. The couple of years he was here he was masked by good personnel and having Cowher around.

He is absolutely terrible, cannot evaluate talent to save his ass, and knocked up a cheerleader while "coaching" the Saints. And let's not even mention is tenure with the Rams.

No. No. Hell no.

I agree, I have no confidence in Haslett. It just seems Lebeau really, really enjoys doing his thing and I don't see him having any more enjoyment in retirement, especially at the success he's having.