PDA

View Full Version : Halftime Show

SteelCityKing
01-20-2009, 05:38 PM
why...WHY...Bruce Springsteen? granted, he is "the Boss" and he's apparent;y an amazing artist. but come on! can the NFL play it anymore safe with someone like him. i almost hope Bruce has a wardrobe malfunction and his willy falls out of his super tight jeans! haha! not really, but i think the more "american" and "classic" the halftime show gets, the less people are going to watch the halftime show.

i have a select few opinions on who should've played the halftime show, what're you thoughts? i mean, unless you are happy with the NFLs pick.

what would be your picks? top 3. hit me! =)

fansince'76
01-20-2009, 05:49 PM
I loathe Bruce Springsteen. I will find something else to do at halftime.

SteelTalons
01-20-2009, 05:55 PM
John Legend
Gnarls Barkley
Bob Marley(sadly Marley is dead, RIP Bob)

Stir it up! Lil darlin' stir it up! Come on babe! Its been a long long time. Since got you off my mind... :chuckle:

PAMillerGrrl83
01-20-2009, 06:01 PM
I loathe Bruce Springsteen. I will find something else to do at halftime.

I'm with you whole heartdy. ever since Janet Jackson and her "Uo oh" there have been crappy half time perfomers, I'd personally like to see someone country, Keny Chesney and Keith Urban...gah anyone. I'm just sick of the old fogies.

GutterflowerSteel
01-20-2009, 06:08 PM
I thought Prince's half time show a couple of years ago was pretty good. I'm not a big fan of the Springer - too bad the Super Bowl Committee didn't get a kick ass band like Foo Fighters :thumbsup:

SteelCurtain7
01-20-2009, 06:23 PM
I loved Paul McCartney's appearance recently. Tom Petty wasn't bad, either. But the Boss is teh suck. Meh.

revefsreleets
01-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Prince's giant "shadow phallus" was awesome. 80% of the population STILL doesn't get it.

I don't know, this new trend toward Jurassic Rockers is silly. I won't be watching Springsteen. IMO he's had about two decent songs in the last 25 years, and one of them was on a soundtrack.

devilsdancefloor
01-20-2009, 07:27 PM
if we are gonna go old rockers to bad it isnt styx lol But ya i have never ever like springsteen at all!

SteelCityKing
01-20-2009, 07:35 PM
i was thinking of more modern rock bands. the Foo Fighters would be great i agree. but i think the Black Keys, Kings of Leon, or maybe a culmination of a few artists like T.I., Lil' Wayne, The Roots, or even Kayne West/Daft Punk or some other hip hop groups that are hot right now.

i'd like to see a Red Hot Chili Peppers reuinion. (not that they broke up)

i'm just tired of dinosaur rock taking the fun out of the game. the biggest stage of sports is reserved for some of the biggest acts...but it should be newer acts and some bands relating to the younger audience.

i'd die to see Cat Power sing "The National Anthem." haha!

TheWarDen86
01-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Tom Petty was great.
Living in NJ (and being a Republican) I'm sick of Bruce Springsteen.

.....also, my ex-wife loves him.

I hope he has a microphone malfunction so we don't have to hear him. I'm tuning in to watch the Steelers any-fricken-way.

KeiselPower99
01-20-2009, 08:46 PM
I was watching the CFL's Grey Cup game back in November and they had Theory of a Deadman on there. Why cant the NFL get someone like Nickelback or the Foo Fighters hell maybe even Metallica??? That crap the last 2 years and now this years shows the league is trying to alienate a majority of thier fan base.

TheWarDen86
01-20-2009, 08:50 PM
I was watching the CFL's Grey Cup game back in November and they had Theory of a Deadman on there. Why cant the NFL get someone like Nickelback or the Foo Fighters hell maybe even Metallica??? That crap the last 2 years and now this years shows the league is trying to alienate a majority of thier fan base.

They're playing it safe since the "Wardrobe Malfunction."

I know Metallica hates doing TV, but since it's in an arena maybe they would do it. I think that'd be pretty cool. Not sure if they could do the full HT show without saying "F**K* though. :chuckle:

KeiselPower99
01-20-2009, 11:47 PM
They're playing it safe since the "Wardrobe Malfunction."

I know Metallica hates doing TV, but since it's in an arena maybe they would do it. I think that'd be pretty cool. Not sure if they could do the full HT show without saying "F**K* though. :chuckle:

I know James is a huge Raiders fan and a few years back they played in the parking lot before the AFC title game versus the Titans. Id love to see them but ill be honest it wont happen. The NFL is too worried about offending someone.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Hmm...I kinda like The Boss. "Streets of Philadelphia" is one of my all time favorites.

I think Kings of Leon would be awesome! They are one of my favorite bands at the moment! I would love to see Shinedown as well or 3 Doors Down. Two of the best live shows I have been to... Seether is great live too, but they couldn't go 2 seconds without offending anyone.

XxKnightxX
01-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Tom Petty was great.
Living in NJ (and being a Republican) I'm sick of Bruce Springsteen.

.....also, my ex-wife loves him.

I hope he has a microphone malfunction so we don't have to hear him. I'm tuning in to watch the Steelers any-fricken-way.

Nj guy, cant stand him, a poser who talks about hard work and this and that , Jersey this and Jersey that, and he charges like 40 bucks just to see him practice a performance.

Like most Halftime Shows, Im going to do something else.

TackleMeBen
01-21-2009, 08:52 AM
if you are a true football fan, do you really care who is doing the halftime show... when did who is playing the halftime show become so important?

revefsreleets
01-21-2009, 09:21 AM
3 Doors Down would be a great option. They have a large catalog of songs people know, they are definitely family friendly, they have a bit of an edge, and they aren't from 1972.

As for the whole halftime thing, it's all part of the pomp and circumstance of the big game.

TailgateMel
01-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Well King, at least Prince PLAYED a Foo Fighters song @ his halftime.. LOL!

I think they would be a great choice... they (the organizers) I'm sure are really going to the "widest audience".. and the widest audience doesn't listen to Alt Nation or Faction or Octane on Sirius...

they are listening to "Sirius hits 1" or "Classic Rewind" or maybe "Lithium" or "the Pulse"

That being said I think good choices that are more kinda "hip" would be:
- Foo Fighters (as previously mentioned)
- John Legend (as previously mentioned)
- Alicia Keys
- T.I. or Ludacris
- Green Day
- Nickelback

I'm not saying that is who *I* woud like to see.. but who I could see the NFL possibly picking..

TackleMeBen
01-21-2009, 09:25 AM
3 doors down would be good. i love them. this old rock stuff isnt cutting it with me.

Vis
01-21-2009, 02:52 PM
halftime is for peeing and refilling the plate

CB1977
01-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Wayne Newton!!!! There's a show stopper for ya!!!!

revefsreleets
01-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Wayne Newton!!!! There's a show stopper for ya!!!!

We can save Wayne Newton for when the (cough cough) Browns make the Super Bowl.

The_WARDen
01-22-2009, 12:18 PM
if you are a true football fan, do you really care who is doing the halftime show... when did who is playing the halftime show become so important?

agree...halftime is for bathroom trips and filling up on food & beer!

Stu Pidasso
01-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Two words: "WEIRD AL" YANKOVIC.

fordfan485
01-22-2009, 02:09 PM
It could be alot worse, I would rather have Bruce Springsteen than Justin Temberlake or what ever it is 13 year old girls listen to these days.

Borski
01-22-2009, 03:06 PM
I'd like to see a Bon Jovi halftime show

3 doors down wouldnt be a bad option either.

memphissteelergirl
01-22-2009, 03:26 PM

Hey! Make sure you wash your hands, man! :nono:

:chuckle:

Can't really say I'm a Springsteen fanatic, but I don't dislike him either. I like a few of his songs....

The best halftime show in the past couple of years was definitely Prince, but as someone who spent most of her teenage/young adult years in the '80s, I am more than a little biased. :wink02:

xfl2001fan
01-22-2009, 03:56 PM

Considering it's the SuperBowl...that's a large bladder and a large plate bro! :flap:

I'm a big fan of Linkin Park...but since I think we're going for a realistic pick...

Why not go with a Tim McGraw/Faith Hill type set up. They have a very broad selection of music that appeals to a very wide base...and you could throw in (depeding on the songs picked) a lot of different artists from the various genre's of music.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-22-2009, 07:22 PM
While I am not a Boss hater, I am not a fanatic either. As long as he sticks to his popular songs that people know, it shouldn't be that bad of a show.

I mean, they could go younger and stay safe with bands like 3 Doors Down, Shinedown, Foo Fighters, Our Lady Piece.

Or go R&B and get a Beyonce or someone to do it.

But truthfully, nowadays unless you can get Will Smith, you have to stay away from the rappers. There's nothing in a popular rapper's song that would be appropriate for NBC or the NFL.

Hell, Kid Rock's last album (Rock n Roll Jesus) has quite a few songs on it that are more television friendly than past albums.

SteelCityKing
01-22-2009, 08:02 PM
i mentioned Kid Rock and Nickleback to a few friends of mine. i was almost castrated on the spot. those are bands you love to hate and hate to love you actually kin of enjoy them! haha!

i would like Kings of Leon, but their songs are too "rock." they have a southern blues quality to them i guess. but the Foo Fighters would be nice with Pink or Britney. we need a good solid rock band and a nice sidecar of an act like Pink or Britney. hell, Pink did the Sunday Night Football opening theme for a season, right? ha!

TeeJay
01-24-2009, 06:10 PM
The halftime show overhere always involves watching someone come back from the 'snack wagon' with pies and tea, and watching their face as they tuck into them...priceless!

Who needs Rock Stars when you can watch someone physically puke up a whole 'beef' pie in one go! As The Jam would say....That's Entertainment!! :wink02:

VegasStlrFan
01-24-2009, 06:50 PM
I can honestly say the I have never liked a halftime show. I didn't like "The Boss" when he was supposedly good (kind of dating myself I no) so I have no hope for this one.

I'd like to see a rockband like Nickleback, Foo Fighters, Metallica, Linkin Park, Seether etc.... I don't think the NFL would go for it.

If your going to bring out the aging rockers, how fitting would Styx be? A little Renegade to start the 3rd quater.

I think Kenney Chesney would be a good choice. He's got some great cross genre Buffet type party songs that would work great.

stlrtruck
01-25-2009, 08:45 AM
I've got a great halftime show

The Steelers Cheerleaders!!!

(ps - where is that sarcasm smiley?)

IronFan
01-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Love Springsteen. The Pittsburgh connection is awesome timing IMHO. I think Springsteen is one of the better and most underrated songwriters in recent memory actually.

The safe classic rockers line of thought is going to get old though.

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-28-2009, 01:57 PM
I don't know about you guys, but being a Jersey native I am extremely pumped that my beloved Steelers are playing in the Superbowl and the BOSS is going to do the half time show. I could have not asked for anything better!

:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:
GO STEELERS!!!!!

The_WARDen
01-28-2009, 02:04 PM
the Boss will be nice, but I'd still rather have some young hottie up there with a "wardrobe malfunction"...

:thumbsup:

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-28-2009, 02:08 PM
the Boss will be nice, but I'd still rather have some young hottie up there with a "wardrobe malfunction"...

:thumbsup:

:chuckle: Maybe a duet with Britney Spears. And by duet I mean Britney doesn't sing at all and just dances.

KeiselPower99
01-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Ill take Jessica Simpson. that way Romo can see what the Super Bowl really is.

The_WARDen
01-28-2009, 02:50 PM
:chuckle: Maybe a duet with Britney Spears. And by duet I mean Britney doesn't sing at all and just dances.

isn't that what she normally does?

7SteelGal43
01-28-2009, 03:16 PM
yay, Bruce Springstein:jerkit:

pesonally, I would love to see Green Day do the halftime show, long as they leave the political BS at home.

Stu Pidasso
01-28-2009, 05:27 PM
So no votes for Wierd Al? :)

jjpro11
01-28-2009, 10:53 PM
they should have went with AC/DC.. they came out with a new album, were the hottest tour of the year, and are still solid.

CB1977
01-29-2009, 11:20 AM
We can save Wayne Newton for when the (cough cough) Browns make the Super Bowl.

He'd be dead by then...

kittenfantastico76
01-29-2009, 11:54 AM
I have to say... I absolutely love Bruce, LOVE HIM. My guess is yes they are playing it safe but he is also releasing a new album soon, so he is probably promoting that.

I actually couldn't be happier to see him play the Super Bowl, it sure beats the show that Justin and Janet put on... they messed it up for future performances but they quite frankly did a crappy job anyway... the "wardrobe issue" was the highlight of the show.

If you ask me I'd love to see AC/DC or KISS to get out there for half time! If they're going back to acts from the past, I'd enjoy seeing that!

kittenfantastico76
01-29-2009, 11:55 AM
they should have went with AC/DC.. they came out with a new album, were the hottest tour of the year, and are still solid.

EXTREMELY SOLID!!! My guess is they probably had prior engagements with planning their world tour, and we're even asked... my guess is the people in charge (and censors) would rather hear Born in the USA, vs. HIGHWAY TO HELL.. ya know?

kittenfantastico76
01-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Well King, at least Prince PLAYED a Foo Fighters song @ his halftime.. LOL!

Did he? Or are you thinking of Darling Nicky that was originally Prince's song, covered by the Foo Fighters.

Blonde Bomber
01-29-2009, 12:17 PM
I do like Bruce, but he is a bit pompous, but then so is Prince. Metallica or ACDC would be great.

I wince every time I hear Nickelback, my wife loves them, I say all of their songs sound too much like the next.

Red Hot Chili Peppers would be good, or if they want to go old, how about Todd Rundgren.

Dave Matthews, Donny Iris, Lady Antebellum.

Michael Stanley, if still alive, will probably play if the Clownies ever make it.

pitt
01-29-2009, 12:25 PM
I just want a show and commercials for that matter that are appropriate for kids.

kittenfantastico76
01-29-2009, 12:26 PM
I wince every time I hear Nickelback, my wife loves them, I say all of their songs sound too much like the next.

AGREED - I wince as well - I cant' stand Nickleback.

jjpro11
01-29-2009, 07:53 PM
EXTREMELY SOLID!!! My guess is they probably had prior engagements with planning their world tour, and we're even asked... my guess is the people in charge (and censors) would rather hear Born in the USA, vs. HIGHWAY TO HELL.. ya know?

i dont think "the jack" would go over well either.. but they have some songs that would be perfect for the super bowl half time.. i love their newest hit, "rock n' roll train" and "thunderstruck", "shook me all night long" implies the obvious, but what songs dont any more? every other song they made is a classic.

they are about as downed to earth as you will ever see out of rock stars.. so im not sure they would even want to play at the super bowl. but it would have been nice. theres always next year though, they are supposed to tour the US again next fall i believe.

Stu Pidasso
02-01-2009, 12:44 PM
I can't believe that 2 pages in, no one has said Joel Rashecki or Donny Iris... LOL

(For those of you outside the Pittsburgh region, Joel and Donny are on like their own 24 hour rotation on the radio.)

Cape Cod Steel Head
02-01-2009, 01:03 PM
I can't believe that 2 pages in, no one has said Joel Rashecki or Donny Iris... LOL

(For those of you outside the Pittsburgh region, Joel and Donny are on like their own 24 hour rotation on the radio.)I saw Donny at IUP. Walked out after the 3rd song! Bruce is fine by me!

revefsreleets
02-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Although not a fan, I thought Sprinsteen did an adequate job. One thing I didn't understand was why play a song nobody even knows when you have a whole catalog of "hits"?

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Although not a fan, I thought Sprinsteen did an adequate job. One thing I didn't understand was why play a song nobody even knows when you have a whole catalog of "hits"?

He was just pimping his new album.

I had a bigger problem with watching his 60 year old crotch slide toward America in spectacular 3D!!!

:puke:

MDSteel15
02-02-2009, 09:39 AM
That was totally a shitty halftime show! Bruce ain't the Boss and never was! He's more the biatch now......

stlrtruck
02-02-2009, 10:01 AM
There was a half-time show?

revefsreleets
02-02-2009, 10:42 AM
He was just pimping his new album.

I had a bigger problem with watching his 60 year old crotch slide toward America in spectacular 3D!!!

:puke:

Was that song on his new album? If so, that ain't cool...this is the Super Bowl, not SNL.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Was that song on his new album? If so, that ain't cool...this is the Super Bowl, not SNL.

My thoughts exactly...I had a little problem with his attitude towards the Super Bowl

“If there’s going to be any questions about football, this is going to be the shortest press conference ever,” said Springsteen, who was surrounded by the members of the E Street Band. “I don’t know anything about football.”....

......Springsteen, who has been rumored in past years as a possible Super Bowl act, was blunt in explaining why he chose to perform this year.

“Because we have a new album coming out, dummy!” he said. “We have a new record — in stores!”
http://springsteeninformationcenter.wordpress.com/2009/01/29/2263/

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
02-03-2009, 12:36 PM
That was a pretty awful halftime show. The National Anthem was botched as well. I hate when people feel the need to "jazz it up" or "make it their own". Sing it the way it was written, or don't sing it at all. I think the Singing Policeman guy from NY should sing it from now on!

roethlisbergerUK
02-04-2009, 04:39 AM
Shoulda had Slipknot do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How surreal that would have been :)

Steelersfanforlife
02-04-2009, 05:48 AM
i didn't think it was to bad but it could have been a lot of better