PDA

View Full Version : WR across the middle vs. ryan clark

public - enemy
01-20-2009, 07:00 PM
If I'm a receiver I'm going to think twice about going across the middle, I'm going to think about Wes Welker, Willis Mcghee and there is someone else he lit up this year.
Another key point is that the NFL has said all hits where legal and he should not have been fined against Welker.

OneForTheToe
01-20-2009, 07:17 PM
If I'm a receiver I'm going to think twice about going across the middle, I'm going to think about Wes Welker, Willis Mcghee and there is someone else he lit up this year.
Another key point is that the NFL has said all hits where legal and he should not have been fined against Welker.

He wasn't fined for the hit on Welker.

Hapa
01-20-2009, 07:26 PM
He was penalized though

OneForTheToe
01-20-2009, 07:34 PM
He was penalized though

Yes he was. And the Nfl said he probably shouldn't have been, but they were glad the officials threw the flag anyways because it was so close (per Mike Pereira vp of officiating). :doh:

Of course, give them some credit for fixing their mistake and not throwing the flag in this instance.

Preacher
01-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Too the point of the thread. It will ABSOLUTELY make them think twice.

They will ALSO look behind them on Defense when they are stepping up for a tackle.

Nighthawk
01-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Agree with ya Preacher, they will be AWARE of his position on the field. How does it effect their playing I'm not sure, but I'm sure not for the best... After Boldin's injury earlier this year I think they'll try to tip toe around mid field

drizze99
01-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Clark was just penalized on the Welker hit for hitting a defenseless reciever. He was not fined by the NFL for the hit. Mike Parerra said it was a legal hit and shouldn't have been penalized but the ref cautioned on the side of safety which was OK by him.

tony hipchest
01-20-2009, 10:36 PM
If I'm a receiver I'm going to think twice about going across the middle, I'm going to think about Wes Welker, Willis Mcghee and there is someone else he lit up this year.Another key point is that the NFL has said all hits where legal and he should not have been fined against Welker.
matt jones. jacksonville. :chuckle:

good stuff. :thumbsup:

82CardsGrad
01-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Agree with ya Preacher, they will be AWARE of his position on the field. How does it effect their playing I'm not sure, but I'm sure not for the best... After Boldin's injury earlier this year I think they'll try to tip toe around mid field

Look - you guys haven't had the pleasure of watching Fitz, Q and Breaston every Sunday... They actually make most of their plays over the middle. They are fearless. Will they take abuse? Oh yea... and in the case of Q and Fitz, they dish it out as well...
I am pretty certain that Mr. Clark means no more than Brian Dawkins, or any other so-called "big hitter" in the secondary has meant to these guys!

Gonna be a great one fellas!

:drink:

RoethlisBURGHer
01-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Boldin, Fitz, and Breaston won't think twice at first. They don't mind engaging in contact.

But after they get smashed a time or two, they might start to think twice.

82CardsGrad
01-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Boldin, Fitz, and Breaston won't think twice at first. They don't mind engaging in contact.

But after they get smashed a time or two, they might start to think twice.

Hasn't happened... yet. particularly in the case of Fitz and Q, they tend to dish out as much as they get.
And yes, they have not played a defensive unit on the level of the Steelers... So - time will tell...

Fire Haley
01-20-2009, 10:43 PM
I trust these guys to deal the punishment.

A QB can't throw lying on his back.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/09SteelersDefense.jpg

RoethlisBURGHer
01-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Hasn't happened... yet. particularly in the case of Fitz and Q, they tend to dish out as much as they get.
And yes, they have not played a defensive unit on the level of the Steelers... So - time will tell...

I love your recievers. Freaking fearless. Boldin reminds me so much of Hines Ward. Fitzgerald is the absolute best reciever in the NFL. Breaston would be a #2 wideout on just about any team in the NFL.

Now I haven't seen a lot of Cardinals games this year, they weren't on tv much (that'll be different for the 2009 season). I know that those three dish it out, but a mind blowing hit like the one on Welker agaisnt NE or the one on McGahee can change the game. Whoever gets hit might not be thinking about going over the middle again, they might be out of the game.

82CardsGrad
01-20-2009, 10:49 PM
I trust these guys to deal the punishment.

A QB can't throw lying on his back.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/09SteelersDefense.jpg

Quite the photogenic group there... :chuckle:

Actually, you hit the right chord... I've been contendng that your secondary alone can not and will not stop our passing game. However, if you guys are successful in doing what has only been done once thus far in the post season - sack Kurt - then yes, Fitz, Q and Breaston will be non-factors...

We shall see!

:popcorn:

Fire Haley
01-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Troy wasn't in the photo.

He's our secret weapon.

82CardsGrad
01-20-2009, 10:52 PM
I love your recievers. Freaking fearless. Boldin reminds me so much of Hines Ward. Fitzgerald is the absolute best reciever in the NFL. Breaston would be a #2 wideout on just about any team in the NFL.

Now I haven't seen a lot of Cardinals games this year, they weren't on tv much (that'll be different for the 2009 season). I know that those three dish it out, but a mind blowing hit like the one on Welker agaisnt NE or the one on McGahee can change the game. Whoever gets hit might not be thinking about going over the middle again, they might be out of the game.

True... though, what happens when Clark or Taylor or whomever deliver a "mind-blowing hit", and Fitz, Q or Breaston get up asking for more?
Truth is, they are so good and so in sync with Kurt, that they very rarely are in a compromised position... Most often, when crossing the middle they are not being hung out to dry, rather, they have worked to create separation and are led in stride perfectly by Kurt. Puttintg them in position to avoid the big hit, or deliver the hit first...

Fire Haley
01-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Ask Flacco about his receivers....

http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2009-01/44588952.jpg

82CardsGrad
01-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Ask Flacco about his receivers....

http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2009-01/44588952.jpg

Why?? Has Flacco gone 3 & 0 in Conference Championship games? HAs he been a league MVP? A Super Bowl MVP?
Does he throw to two Pro Bowl receivers? Two that reached career reception totals faster than any other WR in the history of the game??

:coffee:

Fire Haley
01-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Kurt is a statue. A fragile statue.

Silverback will rip off his arm and beat him over the head with it.

You watch.

82CardsGrad
01-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Kurt is a statue. A fragile statue.

Silverback will rip off his arm and beat him over the head with it.

You watch.

Will do...

Nice avatar by the way! :applaudit:

RoethlisBURGHer
01-20-2009, 11:07 PM
True... though, what happens when Clark or Taylor or whomever deliver a "mind-blowing hit", and Fitz, Q or Breaston get up asking for more?
Truth is, they are so good and so in sync with Kurt, that they very rarely are in a compromised position... Most often, when crossing the middle they are not being hung out to dry, rather, they have worked to create separation and are led in stride perfectly by Kurt. Puttintg them in position to avoid the big hit, or deliver the hit first...

Very true, but the Steelers run a Zone Blitz defense. The only players that play strictly man-to-man coverage is the cornerbacks.

Ryan Clark plays a middle-deep zone often, so he gets to sit back and watch the play develop. So he can set up his hits better than someone who's job is to cover one of your wideouts man-to-man.

82CardsGrad
01-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Very true, but the Steelers run a Zone Blitz defense. The only players that play strictly man-to-man coverage is the cornerbacks.

Ryan Clark plays a middle-deep zone often, so he gets to sit back and watch the play develop. So he can set up his hits better than someone who's job is to cover one of your wideouts man-to-man.

Yup... good points... However, Kurt has proven uncanny (thus far), at reading zone blitzes and not throwing to the guy who is covered or about to get creamed... You blitz, and someone is left unchecked... It's Kurt's job to find that guy, which again - he does better than anyone in the game...

drizze99
01-20-2009, 11:11 PM

LMAO... ask for more?

Let's see...

Welker left the game with a concussion and never came back.

Willis left the game on the stretcher and went to the hospital.

Do you REALLY think Fitz, Boldin or Breaston will get up asking for more?

82CardsGrad
01-20-2009, 11:12 PM
LMAO... ask for more?

Let's see...

Welker left the game with a concussion and never came back.

Willis left the game on the stretcher and went to the hospital.

Do you REALLY think Fitz, Boldin or Breaston will get up asking for more?

Great sig dude!

Hey - if you want to scheme and prepare for Fitz, Q and Breaston as if they are on par with the likes of Welker, Willis, or any other receiver Clark may have nailed this season - do so at your own risk...

:thumbsup:

82CardsGrad
01-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Here's a solid write-up of Fitz... enjoy!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...0&sportCat=nfl

Here's my favorite part:

"Some commentators -- in awe of his brute strength and athleticism -- refer to Fitzgerald as a "beast" or "animal" or "monster." Having had the pleasure of playing chess and talking politics with him, I can assure you he is none of those things. But what he is is a man inspired. A football player who sat in his home stadium one Sunday and witnessed firsthand David slaying Goliath, and a packed Arizona stadium showering the underdog with love.

That is what Larry wants.

That is what Larry is playing for.

And Steelers fans should brace themselves. Because, from the looks of it, this is what Larry will have. "

RoethlisBURGHer
01-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Yup... good points... However, Kurt has proven uncanny (thus far), at reading zone blitzes and not throwing to the guy who is covered or about to get creamed... You blitz, and someone is left unchecked... It's Kurt's job to find that guy, which again - he does better than anyone in the game...

We don't blitz as often as people think we do. A blitz is sending 5+ players into the pas rush.

But we have only three down linemen, so the QB has to account for that fourth rusher. And that rusher can be a LB,CB, or S.

I have seen this defense show a jailbreak blitz to rush just three linemen. I have seen them show all coverage and do a jailbreak blitz. Stunts, delayed blitzes. We'll drop Casey Hampton into coverage every once in a while which really confuses an offensive line, and as the center and/or gaurd are looking for Hampton, Foote/Farrior/Timmons slips by for the sack.

That's why I love this defense, it's so damn versatile.

82CardsGrad
01-20-2009, 11:26 PM
We don't blitz as often as people think we do. A blitz is sending 5+ players into the pas rush.

But we have only three down linemen, so the QB has to account for that fourth rusher. And that rusher can be a LB,CB, or S.

I have seen this defense show a jailbreak blitz to rush just three linemen. I have seen them show all coverage and do a jailbreak blitz. Stunts, delayed blitzes. We'll drop Casey Hampton into coverage every once in a while which really confuses an offensive line, and as the center and/or gaurd are looking for Hampton, Foote/Farrior/Timmons slips by for the sack.

That's why I love this defense, it's so damn versatile.

Just saw some similar stuff from the eagles... Heck, we do some of that ourselves! Of course, it's your talent that makes the difference.
Again, your defense is simply GREAT. Our offense is simply GREAT. Gonna be a great game!

drizze99
01-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Here's a solid write-up of Fitz... enjoy!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...0&sportCat=nfl

Here's my favorite part:

"Some commentators -- in awe of his brute strength and athleticism -- refer to Fitzgerald as a "beast" or "animal" or "monster." Having had the pleasure of playing chess and talking politics with him, I can assure you he is none of those things. But what he is is a man inspired. A football player who sat in his home stadium one Sunday and witnessed firsthand David slaying Goliath, and a packed Arizona stadium showering the underdog with love.

That is what Larry wants.

That is what Larry is playing for.

And Steelers fans should brace themselves. Because, from the looks of it, this is what Larry will have. "

I really don't care how athletic Fitz is really. When you catch a ball and take 2 steps and Clark lays the wood.... well, its lights out. Fitz won't be able to react in time so athleticism has nothing to do with it.

I know all about Fitz seeing that he went to the University of PITTSBURGH. I watched him play ball since he was a freshman at Pitt. He is every bit as good as the write ups say he is but that underneath stuff will get him knocked out against this defense.

steelreserve
01-20-2009, 11:51 PM
I really don't care how athletic Fitz is really. When you catch a ball and take 2 steps and Clark lays the wood.... well, its lights out. Fitz won't be able to react in time so athleticism has nothing to do with it.

I know all about Fitz seeing that he went to the University of PITTSBURGH. I watched him play ball since he was a freshman at Pitt. He is every bit as good as the write ups say he is but that underneath stuff will get him knocked out against this defense.

Knocked out and pissed on, I dare say. This IS the Super Bowl.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Please do me a favor and stop hyping Breaston. He is a decent WR, but really amounts to what Az Hakim was in St. Louis.....the #3 WR that benefits from the fact the Cards throw a lot.

I am a Michigan fan and he was a guy that there was always hope he would take the next step, but never produced. His numbers are a product of system more than talent. Good returner though.

Fitz and Boldin are pro bowlers.......Breaston is nothing more than the current version of Bryant Johnson.

The Duke
01-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Last year wasn't it Bryant Johnson and it earned him a payday he hasn't lived up to.

Exactly :thumbsup:

I like breaston, and I happen to think he's better than johnson. But imo, he's no threat to us.

I'm pretty sure BMac and Ike will be assigned to the big physical receivers for most of the game. I'm completely confident Gay or Townsend can shutdown breaston

GodofGridiron
01-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Why?? Has Flacco gone 3 & 0 in Conference Championship games? HAs he been a league MVP? A Super Bowl MVP?
Does he throw to two Pro Bowl receivers? Two that reached career reception totals faster than any other WR in the history of the game??

:coffee:

You had better pray.....pray vigilantly that Warner remains intact this game. He's not mobile at all and im thinkin LeBeau and company will do everything they can to try to make him move. Either move quickly or take a hit/sack. Those routes you speak of may have to be altered somewhat. There just may be a linebacker in the progression to deflect or intercept.

Again........we've face receiving combos just as lethal in Wayne, Clark, and Harrison. Shoebomber and Goldenmouth.........V Jax and Gates.......Moss and Welker.........and we've done just fine, thank you.

YOu guys were left for dead by your own fans after the Foxboro massacre and here you are crowing very loudly like you cant be stopped. Keep the chest pounding goin.......youve accomplished alot.

82CardsGrad
01-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Please do me a favor and stop hyping Breaston. He is a decent WR, but really amounts to what Az Hakim was in St. Louis.....the #3 WR that benefits from the fact the Cards throw a lot.

I am a Michigan fan and he was a guy that there was always hope he would take the next step, but never produced. His numbers are a product of system more than talent. Good returner though.

Fitz and Boldin are pro bowlers.......Breaston is nothing more than the current version of Bryant Johnson.

Bryant Johnson never even sniffed 1,000 yards... Stevie did it in only his 2nd season...

:thumbsup:

82CardsGrad
01-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Yeah they are certainly alot better than Moss, Welker, Burress, C. Johnson, A. Johnson, Harrison, Wayne, Owens, R. Williams.

Listen, I'm not going to disrespect the Cards, but don't come to our forum running your trap about how we don't know the likes of Fitz and Boldin. We have faced nearly the full list of the NFLs best WRs and Best passing teams, we came away with many wins and the best rated D in teh league(nearly in the history of the league). You have good(maybe great) WRs we get it, but it doesn't scare us and it certainly doen't scare Ike or Troy or Bryant or Ryan.

On the other hand do you have anyone able to cover Hines or Holmes over the middle or Washington or Holmes deep or Heath down the seam? I really see with everyone yacking about the Cards Offense that it may be the Steelers offense that really slams this game home for a 6th trophy.

Good points... and just as our offense doesn't scare you, your defense doesn't scare us...
Your comments about our defense are very warranted and truthfully, Miller is the X-factor that can do some serious damage. The Cards simply don't cover TE's well at all...
Overall, our defense has come together and is playing at a much higher level now than at any point in the season. Rod Hood and though a rookie, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (DRC) are playing great at the corners... Antrel Rolle and Adrian Wilson are bigtime playmakers, but they are pitiful in pur coverage schemes...

I admit, our key is to keep your offense off the field. Gonna be tough...

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Look - you guys haven't had the pleasure of watching Fitz, Q and Breaston every Sunday... They actually make most of their plays over the middle. They are fearless. Will they take abuse? Oh yea... and in the case of Q and Fitz, they dish it out as well...
I am pretty certain that Mr. Clark means no more than Brian Dawkins, or any other so-called "big hitter" in the secondary has meant to these guys!

Gonna be a great one fellas!

:drink:

Boldin is one of the toughest wide outs i have ever seen. Other then Hines :chuckle:, hes a close second.

82CardsGrad
01-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Boldin is one of the toughest wide outs i have ever seen. Other then Hines :chuckle:, hes a close second.

There are so many similarities between Ward and Boldin... Not the fastest guys, but great hands, tremendous "football" knowledge and ability... They can play Safety as easily as they can WR...
Two of the toughest WR's to ever play the game. The injury that put 7 plates into Bolding face this year would have kept all other WR's out for the season... He came back after 2 games...

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-21-2009, 10:48 AM
The injury that put 7 plates into Bolding face this year would have kept all other WR's out for the season... He came back after 2 games...

Other then Hines of course :chuckle:

82CardsGrad
01-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Other then Hines of course :chuckle:

No doubt about that...

How's his knee?? Did I read somewhere that he tore his MCL?? I know it doesn't matter as he would have to have one leg chopped off in order to miss this game...

:thmbup:

STEEL-MAN
01-21-2009, 10:59 AM
The Steelers need to set the tone, wipe the smiles off their faces early and often, can't catch the ball if they can't hold on to it. The Cards are winning with turn overs that to needs changed, their fortunes will go away, frustrated Cards will fall apart, possible turn on each other.

KYSteelersfan
01-21-2009, 11:20 AM
How's his knee?? Did I read somewhere that he tore his MCL?? I know it doesn't matter as he would have to have one leg chopped off in order to miss this game...

Actually, it's just a sprained MCL ligament....he will be fine for the Super Bowl. He will be back to blocking the snot out of you CB's in no time :tt:

Fire Haley
01-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Ed Bouchette was on ESPN this a.m. saying Ward is "iffy" to play going by Willie and Keisel's MCL sprains that took 3-4 weeks to heal.

But that's just Ed.

drizze99
01-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Good points... and just as our offense doesn't scare you, your defense doesn't scare us...
Your comments about our defense are very warranted and truthfully, Miller is the X-factor that can do some serious damage. The Cards simply don't cover TE's well at all...
Overall, our defense has come together and is playing at a much higher level now than at any point in the season. Rod Hood and though a rookie, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (DRC) are playing great at the corners... Antrel Rolle and Adrian Wilson are bigtime playmakers, but they are pitiful in pur coverage schemes...

I admit, our key is to keep your offense off the field. Gonna be tough...

We are putting your offense where it belongs. You guys seem to think it was ranked #1 during the season when in fact it was not. In total offense, you guys were #4. In passing offense you were #2 and in rushing per game you were #32.

Our defense was #1 in total D, #1 vs. the pass and #2 vs. the run.