PDA

View Full Version : Locally Created Steelers Chant Still Popular

mesaSteeler
01-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Locally Created Steelers Chant Still Popular
http://www.wtov9.com/news/18514369/detail.html

Monday, January 19, 2009 – updated: 5:33 pm EST January 19, 2009
WHEELING, W.Va. -- First chanted more than 30 years ago, it's a cheer that many haven't forgotten since.

Wheeling resident and Ohio County Commission President Tim McCormick remembers the day in 1974 when he and a group of friends marched into a Pittsburgh Steelers playoff game, singing the simple but catchy tune: “We’ve got a feelin’ Pittsburgh’s goin’ to the Super Bowl!”

"Some folks, a couple of them just came up with the idea of the tune and we started singing it. We walked into the stadium in two rows in military fashion with our bomb squad hats on," McCormick said.

And they never expected what happened next.

"We were there for the first round and that's when NFL films came around and got us on camera right here," he said.

That clip made it onto an NFL Steeler's history DVD and the chant is one McCormick still hears today.

"It's pretty neat that it stuck,” he said.

The group of friends also created “Donnie Shell's Bomb Squad,” a cheering section for the special teams captain. The Bomb Squad and the Steelers’ cheer were things that set them apart from the other fans, and something they never expected to last.

"We had no idea. Had we done that we'd have put a patent on our little tune and we'd have made some money off of it," he said.

McCormick said he's been back to a Steelers game since those crazy days in the 70's. And while he's still just as big a Steelers fan as he was then, it's never been quite the same experience.

Copyright 2009 by wtov9.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-20-2009, 09:04 PM
That's pretty cool. I have been saying that for weeks, pissing off all the Browns fans.

HometownGal
01-20-2009, 09:23 PM
I find myself humming that little tune and the "Here We Go" song many times during the day and evening. :tt03: Just can't help it - I'm so damned proud of these guys! :hatsoff:

stillers4me
01-20-2009, 09:48 PM
I played the Here We Go song a couple of times tonight and sang all the way through....it felt so good!

Preacher
01-20-2009, 09:53 PM
I played the Here We Go song a couple of times tonight and sang all the way through....it felt so good!

Last week, I had to do some work in the sanctuary.

I went in, loaded up that song on the computer and played it through the sound system. Now, we have subs, woofers, 3 amps, a decent sound board, the whole nine yards.

You wouldn't believe how the pews were rattling!!!!

markymarc
01-21-2009, 06:18 AM
Last week, I had to do some work in the sanctuary.

I went in, loaded up that song on the computer and played it through the sound system. Now, we have subs, woofers, 3 amps, a decent sound board, the whole nine yards.

You wouldn't believe how the pews were rattling!!!!

That's awesome Preacher. I know I have been playing the song a lot more the past 2 weeks. What a classic song.

Creatorss
01-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Is there a new "Here we go" song for 08?? Last one I bought was the season they won the Superbowl. Did they make a new one? It's hard to get the old one when it mentions the Bus and Cowher Power