PDA

View Full Version : The new rock star President

hindes204
01-21-2009, 02:20 AM
Because he is my new Commander in Chief, i will refrain from putting the man down...but does anybody else think this inauguration was a little ridiculous...i cant remember a new President being treated like a celebrity or a rock star....from MTV to BET to E! news channel...these people think hes the savior

steelreserve
01-21-2009, 02:51 AM
It has definitely gotten out of hand. I think some of it is because people are so dissatisfied with the situation we're in, they're willing to herald anyone who brings change as some kind of savior. Don't know if it'll last, but it is a little much.

HometownGal
01-21-2009, 07:53 AM
I just made a post to that effect in another thread. While it is good to see so many people supporting their new President, the rock star mentality and hoopla is overbearing and takes away the meaning of what a Presidential inauguration is supposed to signify.

Vis
01-21-2009, 07:53 AM
He's not a rock star, he's a Kennedy. But self made.

And it lasts until sometime today when real news returns.

Here, this will make you feel better:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09021/943199-66.stm

revefsreleets
01-21-2009, 09:24 AM
It's no big deal. It makes people happy and feel better.

This euphoria will last for a couple weeks then it's back to reality. The country is in a real mess and it will take real leadership to dig us out of it. We'll see when the hype dies down what Obama is really made out of...

fansince'76
01-21-2009, 09:31 AM
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/UnrealisticExpectations.jpg

revefsreleets
01-21-2009, 09:40 AM
That's a real problem. Expectations are too high. He might be a really good president, but he's not going to work miracles. It's like his Inaugural speech. Everyone expected some kind of Kennedy II thing, and the speech was just so-so. I have friends who are Obama KoolAid drinkers who are still insisting the speech had not one, but THREE "Ask not what you Country can do for you" moments, when the reality is it had zero...

Unrealistic people can keep their rosy colored glasses on for as long as they like, but it doesn't change the reality.

KeiselPower99
01-21-2009, 10:34 AM
I think he is way overrated. The rock star status he is given is bs. All he knows how to do is give speeches. An why do all Dems want another Kennedy?? They realize the man was actually a conservative right??? Its all about the name I guess.

steelreserve
01-21-2009, 12:14 PM
That's a real problem. Expectations are too high. He might be a really good president, but he's not going to work miracles. It's like his Inaugural speech. Everyone expected some kind of Kennedy II thing, and the speech was just so-so. I have friends who are Obama KoolAid drinkers who are still insisting the speech had not one, but THREE "Ask not what you Country can do for you" moments, when the reality is it had zero...

Unrealistic people can keep their rosy colored glasses on for as long as they like, but it doesn't change the reality.

I think even if Obama screws up, he's going to get one of the biggest free passes in history because of the way people were angry at Bush. Didn't actually do any of the things he promised? "Oh well, at least it's not Bush, we're cool with whatever."

Polamalu Princess
01-21-2009, 12:35 PM
It is so funny that you posted this because I teach a class in the morning at a private HS and I was telling my students that it was like "Beatlemania" yesterday and they agreed. It is like we have a rock star or king instead of a president that is to serve the people.

MACH1
01-21-2009, 12:36 PM
I think even if Obama screws up, he's going to get one of the biggest free passes in history because of the way people were angry at Bush. Didn't actually do any of the things he promised? "Oh well, at least it's not Bush, we're cool with whatever."

I don't think so. Especially when it starts hitting the wallets.

Hammer67
01-21-2009, 12:39 PM
All I can say is that the liberals control Congress and the White House...so they have NO EXCUSES now.

lol

RunWillieRun
01-21-2009, 12:44 PM
All I can say is that the liberals control Congress and the White House...so they have NO EXCUSES now.

lol

Sure they do. They'll just continue to blame Bush until things start to improve...and they'll have the media right behind them supporting the 'blame Bush' philosophy the whole way. This administration AND congress are both going to get a pass in the media and will not be held accountable for failed policies. The 'blame Bush' card is going to be played more than the race card...but I'm sure it'll be close.

revefsreleets
01-21-2009, 12:50 PM
They'll blame Bush for what doesn't work, and claim credit for Bush's continued policies that do work. They get to cherry pick what they want to.

Want proof? Look to Iraq. They were for it, then against it, and they are slowly edging back towards being for it (now that the surge is working and a possible withdrawal is on the horizon). Guarantee they spin it 100% as a Democratic victory.

It's important for people to stay vigilant and keep pointing this hypocrisy out...there will be mid-term election in less than 2 years...

Crushzilla
01-21-2009, 01:17 PM
God forbid people get excited about politics? :noidea:

People are excited about the presidency for the first time in a long time.

It's out of our hands; let's just see what happens.

Hammer67
01-21-2009, 02:15 PM
God forbid people get excited about politics? :noidea:

People are excited about the presidency for the first time in a long time.

It's out of our hands; let's just see what happens.

I don't think anyone is against being excited. That's great, and all. I think what people are concerned with is the hypocracy in the media. I am more concerned with the biased media in our country then the politicians themselves.

The media creates the images we see.

xfl2001fan
01-21-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't think anyone is against being excited. That's great, and all. I think what people are concerned with is the hypocracy in the media. I am more concerned with the biased media in our country then the politicians themselves.

The media creates the images we see.

Creating the image is only 2/3rds the problem though. The other 1/3rd comes from our acceptance of those images...and there are a lot of blind people who are willing to be told what to see...because it's easier to do what you're told to do...than to think about the actual solution to the problems that face us.

TheSteelCurtain
01-21-2009, 02:39 PM
I think its a good thing that he has people excited.
So many young kids watch news for the first time now or take a interest in politics. These are the people that are gonna run your kids country or even your's.

The biggest thing is that other country's have a positive view of obama also. For the longest time Bush got it worse
overseas than he did here.

And only some media love obama. Listen to Limbaugh or Fox News. We should love him he is our President and has done nothing yet but good for the country. Im not saying he cant be the worst President even. Hopefully for all of us, He is the Best President Ever. People need to go into this new administration hoping for the best. Instead of Crying about who is gonna get credit for what.
The way we are viewed around the world needs to change and obama is already helping this massivly.

hindes204
01-21-2009, 08:38 PM
I think its a good thing that he has people excited.
So many young kids watch news for the first time now or take a interest in politics. These are the people that are gonna run your kids country or even your's.

The biggest thing is that other country's have a positive view of obama also. For the longest time Bush got it worse
overseas than he did here.

And only some media love obama. Listen to Limbaugh or Fox News. We should love him he is our President and has done nothing yet but good for the country. Im not saying he cant be the worst President even. Hopefully for all of us, He is the Best President Ever. People need to go into this new administration hoping for the best. Instead of Crying about who is gonna get credit for what.
The way we are viewed around the world needs to change and obama is already helping this massivly.

Who gives a damn about how we are viewed around the world...there are countries around the world who are gonna hate us regardless of who the president is. And thats exactly what I'm talking about when you say kids are watching the news for the first time and taking interest in politics, the mainstream media is treating this guy like hes the greatest thing since sliced bread, so all the children watching are getting a slightly skewed view