PDA

View Full Version : Capology and the 2006 Steelers...

Suitanim
12-27-2005, 04:19 PM
From my buddy, Thomas, the best football mind I know...(Sorry, UK CANDY, that means the OPPOSITE of you).

Well, cap space is kind of like looking at how much food you have. If you have a handful of food and only need to feed you, then you are fine. If you have two handfuls of food and 10 people to feed, you are in trouble. IMO, Cleveland and Baltimore need the space. They have issues and a lot of players to chase. Cincy has a lot of cash and no massive FA departures. They could be trouble, but it also depends on who they plan on re-signing (may be entering the final season of their deal).

With us, the 10M in space should be enough. If you look at our free agents-
Willie Parker-RB-ERFA-he can be signed for @$400,000. Now, this is not because he is only worth that, but because he was an undrafted free agent, we have his rights until he accrues 3 seasons. That means he is here for one more.

Ike Taylor-RFA-I think we see the Steelers tender Ike the highest tender, around 1.4M, which would give them a 1st and 3rd round pick.

Unrestricted FAs:
Antwaan Randle El-WR-nice to have back, but I think he walks.
Barrett Brooks-OT-Essex has already inked his walking papers.
Brett Keisel-LB-a possibility, but it depends on IF the Steelers pursue someone else.
Charlie Batch-QB-I think they bring him back at the 1M per season range. Watch for a 3-4 year deal.
Chris Hope-S-tough to call, depends on his asking price.
Clint Kriewaldt-LB-depends on his price
DeShea Townsend-CB-they will not overpay for a 30+ year old corner. Depends on his price.
Jerame Tuman-TE-probably gone, Heath has sealed his fate
Kimo von Oelhoffen-DE-what is his price?
Quincy Morgan-WR-depends on his price
Sean Morey-WR-vet minimum
Verron Haynes-RB-would have to be cheap

In short, only 1-2 guys are true needs. And, if you consider that Parker and Taylor will be had for under 2M, that leaves 9M in space. The rookies (draft) will bring in @8 guys at @3M. So, that leaves 6M.

Well, the Steelers would have 34 guys under contract after the cuts. The rookies and Parker/Taylor would bring them back to 44. They need 9 guys and have 6M. If you bring back 6 vet minimum guys, that leaves 3 guys needed and 3M in space. The Steelers would again be tight to the cap entering the season, but could have an even better team depending on the draft and FA moves.

Also, restructuring deals is something they do fairly often, do one and you can chase any number of FAs.......

We are not in bad shape.

Livinginthe past
12-27-2005, 04:25 PM
Im glad you guys have someone who is capable of doing all that number crunching - cap maths is pretty gruelling work.

Over at patfans.com we have a guy who's area of expertise is the salary cap and its implications.

The Steelers are a shrewd cap management team from what I have seen - I dont think that they will have any problems for the foreseeable future in that regard.

As a side note, I think the salary cap helps teams like the Steelers and the Patriots as it tends to weed out the players who are a little too obsessed with the financial aspect of playing professional football.

Its not often you can accuse a Steelers player of not putting enough effort in.

NM

Suitanim
12-27-2005, 04:28 PM
Well, occasionally we have the odd (cough, cough, plexico, cough) player who gets a little lazy, but they are usually shown the door rather quickly.

Ambridge
12-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Unrestricted FAs:
Antwaan Randle El-WR-nice to have back, but I think he walks.
Barrett Brooks-OT-Essex has already inked his walking papers.
Brett Keisel-LB-a possibility, but it depends on IF the Steelers pursue someone else.
Charlie Batch-QB-I think they bring him back at the 1M per season range. Watch for a 3-4 year deal.
Chris Hope-S-tough to call, depends on his asking price.
Clint Kriewaldt-LB-depends on his price
DeShea Townsend-CB-they will not overpay for a 30+ year old corner. Depends on his price.
Jerame Tuman-TE-probably gone, Heath has sealed his fate
Kimo von Oelhoffen-DE-what is his price?
Quincy Morgan-WR-depends on his price
Sean Morey-WR-vet minimum
Verron Haynes-RB-would have to be cheap

My picks off the UFA list who I hope the Steelers make a serious effort to re-sign are:
Charlie Batch
Chris Hope
Quincy Morgan

clevestinks
12-27-2005, 05:11 PM
I want to see us use Quicy Morgan more, before we decide whether or not to keep him!

tony hipchest
12-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Im glad you guys have someone who is capable of doing all that number crunching - cap maths is pretty gruelling work.

Over at patfans.com we have a guy who's area of expertise is the salary cap and its implications.

The Steelers are a shrewd cap management team from what I have seen - I dont think that they will have any problems for the foreseeable future in that regard.

As a side note, I think the salary cap helps teams like the Steelers and the Patriots as it tends to weed out the players who are a little too obsessed with the financial aspect of playing professional football.

Its not often you can accuse a Steelers player of not putting enough effort in.

NM if i can say when i disagree with you i better be able to say when i agree. and here i really agree. pats have done things with the cap that amaze me. (keeping seymore) i used to put philadelphia up there with the steelers and the pats but seing how they handled simon, owens and westbrook in the off season makes me wonder. they also lack significant depth yet have lots of capspace.

suit- i agree with keeping hope and ike and really would like to keep all the defensive back ups along with kimo. this being cause the defensive scheme takes a while to learn. i thought extending c. hoke was a great deal. even though hampton got big money. hopefully hampton doesnt get hurt but we will be ok if he does. funny how the lines on both sides seem to take prescedence whan handing out money is concerned. i remember scratching my head when they shelled out some bucks for hartings.

i think any moves the steelers make will have polomalus future contract in the back of their minds. EXTENSION PLEASE!

Koopa
12-27-2005, 06:41 PM
I want to see us use Quicy Morgan more, before we decide whether or not to keep him!

i think just seeing him on special teams will be worth another go around with the steelers. if he'd actually get a chance i think he can be a better number 2 then ARE, i know i know he dropped a lot of passes in cleveland. but dropped passes can be fixed. and with ben throwing him the ball he might not have as much dropped passes. plus i liked seeing him point to the steelers logo when he scored the TD, just another way of saying **** you cleveland lol. ONE MORE YEAR FOR QUINCY!!!!

TasmanianTroy271
12-27-2005, 11:29 PM
The ones I'd like to see us resign are...

Keisel - He's a ST demon and he does great on the second-team defense. If he could convert to the other side he could definately take over Kimo's position.
Batch - We need a back up QB who can actually win us a game.
Von Oelhoffen - The guy is a great role model for younger players, and is still a force at 34 years old. I think he'll take a pay cut because no one else wants a 34 year old DE, and I think he genuinely likes it here and wants to retire a Steeler.
Morgan - He's great on ST and depending on how he develops, could be our deep threat and tall WR.
Haynes - He's really done much better this year, and is a great 3rd down back in my opinion. He doesnt take his playing time for granted and tries his hardest every snap he takes. I think he could be really good here, but his staying depends on Duce and the draft.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2005, 10:19 AM
I'd like to have Back:
Randle El
Batch
Von Oelhoffen
Morgan
Haynes
Townsend
Parker
and some others I can't think of.

tony hipchest
12-28-2005, 10:24 AM
The ones I'd like to see us resign are...

Keisel - He's a ST demon and he does great on the second-team defense. If he could convert to the other side he could definately take over Kimo's position.
Batch - We need a back up QB who can actually win us a game.
Von Oelhoffen - The guy is a great role model for younger players, and is still a force at 34 years old. I think he'll take a pay cut because no one else wants a 34 year old DE, and I think he genuinely likes it here and wants to retire a Steeler.
Morgan - He's great on ST and depending on how he develops, could be our deep threat and tall WR.
Haynes - He's really done much better this year, and is a great 3rd down back in my opinion. He doesnt take his playing time for granted and tries his hardest every snap he takes. I think he could be really good here, but his staying depends on Duce and the draft.

great takes tas, i agree

Dook
12-28-2005, 02:37 PM
I think Willie P. deserves more than $400k a year. I know this is a business and the Steelers usually
are very frugal with their money but Willie deserves more.

What do you mean we would tender Ike Taylor and get a 1st and 3rd round draft pick? Trade? I don't
anyone giving up a 1st and a 3rd for him. That's too much.

Townsend deserves a raise, so what he is 30, he can still play, but I'm not sure we can match what others
will pay.

Tuman gone? And go with only one TE next year? No way. We run double TE plays sometimes.

Hartings needs to restructure.

Koopa
12-28-2005, 02:54 PM
well we can always sign another blocking tight end we don't really need tuman to come back. willie probably does deserve more then 400k but he won't get it, he hasn't shown he can be a feature back, unless you put him up against the texans and browns each week. mcfadden is gonna end up taking townsend spot later in the year so no point in paying him a shitload. and what he said about ike is that since we are gonna give him a high tender if someone signs him they'll have to give us one of those draft picks, depending how he plays.....i think that's how it works

Suitanim
12-28-2005, 03:07 PM
1st off, I didn't write this. I think they'll probably pay Parker, too. Ike isn't going anywhere...he's talking about 1.4 mil a year contract, or what he's worth in compensation if we lose him. Townsend will be gone...he's exactly right. The Steelers have been burned overpaying CB's before. Deshea is gonna want big money and long-term, and he's not worth it. If he's willing to sign a 1-2 for 1.5 a year, they'll keep him, but that's not what he'll be asking.

Tuman may be back...Kranchick probably had something to do with this, but he's gone now.

And Hartings may restructure,, but I think he'll retire. Either way, the Steelers will not pay him 4 million next year.