PDA

View Full Version : The Card's have a secret weapon against the Steelers

stillers4me
01-21-2009, 05:47 AM
It's Brian St. Pierre!

Cardinals Notebook: Former Steelers reserve QB called key play for Arizona
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Former Steelers backup quarterback Brian St. Pierre had a hand in sending the Arizona Cardinals to Super Bowl XLIII to face his former team.

He did it by, of all things, calling a play in Arizona's NFC championship triumph Sunday.

Offensive coordinator Todd Haley, son of longtime Steelers personnel director Dick Haley, told St. Pierre Saturday that it was up to the No. 3 quarterback to inform him when to call a flea-flicker.

"He's never put that on me before," said St. Pierre, a Steelers reserve in 2003-04 and 2005-06. "I just kidded him that he didn't want to be on the hook for it."

With the Cardinals leading, 7-3, and the Eagles having just missed a 47-yard field goal on the second quarter's fourth snap, St. Pierre told Haley the time was ripe.

"It was a turn of momentum," St. Pierre explained. "A missed field goal. We had the ball at our 40-yard line."

The 38, actually.

J.J. Arrington caught a swing pass to the right, then threw back to the left to Kurt Warner, the 37-year-old quarterback about to get clobbered by a rushing Brodrick Bunkley -- on whom a roughing-the-passer penalty was called and subsequently declined. Warner heaved a 62-yard pass that former Pitt star Larry Fitzgerald gathered for a touchdown.

"I don't want any credit," St. Pierre said. "I had a small role. I called it; the players did it."

Haley's boss, Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt, was calling the Steelers' plays when they used a flea-flicker to beat Cincinnati in the wild-card round and then a receiver-reverse pass to beat Seattle in Super Bowl XL three years ago.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09021/943193-66.stm

Look out, Steelers! BSP's calling the plays in Zona. We're doomed. :yikes:

:toofunny:

markymarc
01-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Actually that is pretty funny.

KeiselPower99
01-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Well he does have experiance holding a clipboard and sending plays in.

tony hipchest
01-21-2009, 09:15 AM
lol.

plus they re-signed j. tuman right before the champ game.

add in s. morey :jawdrop: and we are doomed.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Why should the Steelers even show up in Tampa? We should just avoid the ass whoopin and forfiet the game right now.

/sarcasm

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-21-2009, 10:03 AM
Why should the Steelers even show up in Tampa? We should just avoid the ass whoopin and forfiet the game right now.

/sarcasm

NOO!!! NOT ST Peire, anybody but him!!!

:rofl:

Bob Russell
01-21-2009, 10:05 AM
I won't be able to eat or sleep from worry.

You gotta truck to sell too?

LOL!!!!!

GodofGridiron
01-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Heres the important key in this upcoming game: Try and put the clamps on the Cards offense early. Make adjustments quick on defense. The Cards recent success lies in the fact that theyve jumped out to early leads and carried momentum thru the first and second quarters. Teams made better adjustments against them in the second halves as theyve only scored 2 offensive TD's in all 3 games in the 2nd halves. We control the 2nd half of games and thoroughly dominate the 3rd quarter of games so if we're up by half or even within striking distance our chances look very very promising.

revefsreleets
01-21-2009, 10:32 AM
They'll need more than that to beat the Steelers. Anything short of them poisoning the team won't do the trick...

Dino 6 Rings
01-21-2009, 11:27 AM
How cute...however I'm pretty sure when they ran the play that the announcer said "we saw them run this play in practice this week...."

So it isn't like they weren't working on it all week and didn't have it ready.

PGH_Futbol
01-21-2009, 12:12 PM
The TV coverage of The Wiz and his brother Grimm seem to rely on how well the coaches know their former team. It sounds to me like the Cardinals are banking on the fact the coaches know our team more than they know their team... or their team being better than us... Last I checked, the players play and the coaches yell at the refs.

CargoJon
01-21-2009, 12:16 PM
We ran that same play in 2005 vs. the Bengals in the playoffs with El I believe, Ben threw to Cedrick Wilson IIRC.....

Come up with something we haven't seen before please.

TheSteelCurtain
01-21-2009, 12:16 PM
I agree with ya PGH, I can tell you that Harrison or Woodley are coming at you. I have even tell you if he is gonna power move or finesse move or bull rush. That doesnt mean that you are gonna be able to stop the Silverback and WOOD.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-21-2009, 12:49 PM
We ran that same play in 2005 vs. the Bengals in the playoffs with El I believe, Ben threw to Cedrick Wilson IIRC.....

Come up with something we haven't seen before please.

Good point.

For how much the Cardinals coaches supposedly know about our offense, I think our defense knows more about thier offense.

LeBeau knows what kind of plays Whiz likes to run. We got plenty of tape on thier offense. And I bet LeBeau knows the times Whiz likes to run a gadget play.

Ben Worthlessburger
01-21-2009, 01:00 PM
the Retardinals are horrible... believe me, we play them twice a year.

lilyoder6
01-21-2009, 01:02 PM
plz.. bsp is not a secret weapon. he is a water boy and a water boy only.. lol...