PDA

View Full Version : Washington: Steelers didn't like Tomlin at first

mesaSteeler
01-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Washington: Steelers didn't like Tomlin at first
http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/2009/01/washington-stee.html?loc=interstitialskip

Mike Tomlin was not well-liked among Steelers players when he arrived to replace Bill Cowher in early 2007, according to Steelers receiver Nate Washington.

"When he first got here, it was kind of iffy because we were kind of questioning things he was doing compared to coach Cowher's [way]," Washington told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

"But coach Tomlin is a great guy. I think it's taken us awhile to pretty much finally realize that he's never going to put us in a situation we can't handle and he's going to take care of us. A lot of guys respect him for that."

The Steelers have won the AFC North in both of Tomlin's seasons as head coach. Before Tomlin led the team to a berth in Super Bowl XLIII, however, Steelers players had to adjust to his aggressive management style.

Players lost some of the voice they had in the decision-making process they enjoyed under Cowher.

"I think the major thing he did differently from coach Cowher is he instilled in us that it was going to be his way," Washington told the paper. "Coach Cowher kind of had a tendency sometimes to sit back and look at us and he could tell in our face ... he would go off that.

Washington said Tomlin asserted it was "going to go his way and nobody's going to cross him."

"I think guys ... were kind of cursing it at first because we kind of didn't think he was listening to us," Washington said. "But now I think a lot of these guys realize what he has his hands on, and they respect him for it. It's definitely a totally different story now from when he first got here."

SteelersMongol
01-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Go Coach. :tt02: Please, bring us the missing piece. :wink02:

Preacher
01-21-2009, 11:26 PM
I love it...

and no, Washington didn't say anything surprising.

TheSteelCurtain
01-21-2009, 11:26 PM
I just watched the NFL Network replay and he is emotionless at times. When Troy picked that pass off, Tomlin did not clap, smile, hug or clap anyone. He just Simply put 1 finger in the air for the extra point.

Im not saying anything is wrong with that. I just remember Cowher always showing his emotions. Ill never forget when Ben picked up the first down to seal SB 40 and Cowher Gave the First Down Point Followed by "BOOM" "BOOM"

Edman
01-21-2009, 11:34 PM
I think we kinda realized that at first. Faneca spoke out against the Tomlin hire.

TheSteelCurtain
01-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Faneca and Russ Grimm were really close. So he felt it was like a slap in the face. Also heard some rumors on faneca not being down with the brown.

jjpro11
01-21-2009, 11:49 PM
I just watched the NFL Network replay and he is emotionless at times. When Troy picked that pass off, Tomlin did not clap, smile, hug or clap anyone. He just Simply put 1 finger in the air for the extra point.

Im not saying anything is wrong with that. I just remember Cowher always showing his emotions. Ill never forget when Ben picked up the first down to seal SB 40 and Cowher Gave the First Down Point Followed by "BOOM" "BOOM"

oh.. he shows his emotions.. wasnt it the dallas game where he was twirling his headset in the air? lol.

TheSteelCurtain
01-21-2009, 11:54 PM
im not sure....The Joey Porter Kiss was great too.

JackHammer
01-22-2009, 12:24 AM

Um lol? Wow. I think you need to pay attention more. Watch this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIcBPMUk9tM)

TheSteelCurtain
01-22-2009, 12:59 AM
My exact words are he is emotionless at times. He is a NFL Coach obvious he gets vocal and decided. More comparing him to how Cowher always wore his emotions on his face. If you get to see the NFL Network you will see exactly what im talking about on that play.

JackHammer
01-22-2009, 01:45 AM
I don't need to watch NFL network for that since I have the DVD and watched it a million times already. Cowher wouldn't have been yelling BOOM BOOM after that Troy pick because, unlike the first down in SBXL, the AFCCG game wasn't quite clinched at that point. Also this isn't the most fair comparison since Tomlin hasn't won a Super Bowl so we don't know how he'd react in that situation. If I had to base an opinion off of what I've seen from Tomlin thus far, I'd have to believe that he'd be acting pretty damn excited if he just clinched a SB victory.

TheSteelCurtain
01-22-2009, 02:29 AM
You have a DVD of the AFC Championship game Sunday and got to watch it a million times already.

Read my post. I never used these 2 instances to compare these 2 coaches. My exact words. "Tomlin is emotionless at times." Not Tomlin has no emotion or Tomlin is anti Cowher. I was just suprised by how cool he was after the interception. If you actually see the footage of Sundays game that im talking about you will see this. He literally did not change facial expression from the pick to the touchdown.

I never used these 2 moment's to compare coaches. You made that part up all by yourself. I was simply stating how much they differ in personality's. The whole purpose of this thread in the first place.

Galax Steeler
01-22-2009, 04:37 AM
I really like Tomlin and I beleive he will win the north and hopefully alot of superbowls before his time is done in Pittsburgh.

hindes204
01-22-2009, 06:25 AM
Like Ive said before, i wasnt a big fan of the hire at first either, but he has far surpassed my expectations and i wouldnt want any body to coach the steelers now

Blitzburgh_Fever
01-22-2009, 06:54 AM
Um lol? Wow. I think you need to pay attention more. Watch this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIcBPMUk9tM)

Holy crap, after watching that, I have a whole new respect for Tomlin.

GBMelBlount
01-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Like Ive said before, i wasnt a big fan of the hire at first either, but he has far surpassed my expectations and i wouldnt want any body to coach the steelers now

If we didn't have those 4 fourth quarter comebacks and had finished 8-8 and missed the playoffs, people would be screaming for his head and pissed that we didn't make a better effort to upgrade the offensive line the last two years.

That being said, I am very excited about where we are right now and just hope to heck we work VERY hard on upgrading the O-line through draft and free agency this year. :tt02:

Texasteel
01-22-2009, 07:18 AM
I think his comments in one of his last press conferences says a lot about Tomlin. Can't remember the exact word but along to lines of, he's not censured about what the player think of his work, then asked the report how his editor was work out.

Tomlin knows he's there to coach, and the players are there to play. Both can do a better job it the concentrate on what they are suppose to do.

Texasteel
01-22-2009, 07:20 AM
If we didn't have those 4 fourth quarter comebacks and had finished 8-8 and missed the playoffs, people would be screaming for his head and pissed that we didn't make a better effort to upgrade the offensive line the last two years.

That being said, I am very excited about where we are right now and just hope to heck we work VERY hard on upgrading the O-line through draft and free agency this year. :tt02:

I would be absolutely shocked, GB, if that didn't happen.

FacemeIke
01-22-2009, 12:00 PM

You could say that about almost any NFL team any season. Anyways, its the Champions that pull out the close games.

FacemeIke
01-22-2009, 12:01 PM
I think we kinda realized that at first. Faneca spoke out against the Tomlin hire.

Faneca also spoke out against Big Ben when he first became the starter.

fansince'76
01-22-2009, 12:03 PM

There were people here screaming for his head after we lost to Philly early in the season. "He can't make adjustments!" "He was the wrong man for the job!" "We need a brand new coaching staff next year!" :blah: :blah: :blah:

SC Steeler Steve
01-22-2009, 12:11 PM

Sorry to those opposed, I agree with this^^^^^^^. I also remember alot of folks calling for Cowhers head too. (I love BC by the way). Some pople show thier emotions in different ways. The one thing I love about Tomlin is his confidence he shows in his players/team. Like when on 4rth and goal and we got stuffed in the Dallas game. After the play you see Tomlin on the sideline clapping his hands as if to say "thats okay, we still gonna win this game". AND WE DID...