PDA

View Full Version : Steelers are aware of just how good Fitzgerald is

mesaSteeler
01-21-2009, 07:02 AM
http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/printerFriendly.cfm?brd=2280&dept_id=468632&newsid=20245226
01/21/2009
Steelers are aware of just how good Fitzgerald is

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Larry Fitzgerald might be the most scouted player in Pittsburgh Steelers history. For two years, they needed only to look out their office windows to watch him.
Fitzgerald's exceptional hands, his knack for making difficult catches while heavily covered and his high jumper-like leaping ability might pose the biggest obstacle to the Steelers beating the Arizona Cardinals in the Super Bowl on Feb. 1.

Advertisement
As Steelers coach Mike Tomlin suggested Tuesday, scouting and a good game plan alone aren't enough to slow Fitzgerald, whose 419 yards receiving are the most in a single NFL postseason, with one game remaining.

"If you get down the field one-on-one with him, he's going to come back with the football," Tomlin said. "He is the best in the world at that, bar none."

Not that any one needs to remind the Steelers.

Displayed in their Heinz Field press box, alongside pictures of former and current Steelers players, is a large photo of Fitzgerald leaping above three Texas A&M defenders to make a touchdown catch while at Pitt in 2003. He couldn't have been more covered, yet it made no difference. The football was there, and, in Fitzgerald's mind, nobody else was going to get it.

Ask the Philadelphia Eagles about plays like that.

Fitzgerald's series of three, can-you-top-this touchdown catches in the NFC championship game Sunday prevented an all-Pennsylvania Super Bowl. It also set up an improbable matchup between the Cardinals, an old franchise that could hardly be less successful, and the Steelers, an old franchise that could hardly be more successful.

"Larry Fitzgerald, is quite simply, the best receiver in the world down the field in one-on-one situations," Tomlin said. "If we're to be successful in Tampa, we need to limit the number of times we're downfield with him one-on-one. Invariably, he's going to come up with the football. The (video) tape tells us that."

So did their own eyes.

Although the Steelers and University of Pittsburgh never practice together on the four-field complex they share on the city's South Side, more than few Steelers employees were tempted to sneak a few peeks at Fitzgerald when he played for Pitt in 2003 and 2004.

Why wouldn't they? In his two college seasons about being recruited by former Pitt coach Walt Harris, a passing game whiz, Fitzgerald caught 161 passes for 2,677 yards and 34 touchdowns, with at least one TD catch in a record 18 consecutive games.

The Steelers also influenced Fitzgerald, too.

Not long after the Cardinals drafted Fitzgerald No. 3 overall in 2004, when the Steelers drafted Ben Roethlisberger eight spots later, Fitzgerald said his goal wasn't just to be the receiver who made the occasional highlight-film catch. Instead, he wanted to be as steady and reliable as the Steelers' Hines Ward.

Now, Fitzgerald probably needs to be better than Ward if the Cardinals are to win their first NFL championship since 1947 - three cities and 61-plus years ago. Curiously, the then-Chicago Cardinals beat the Eagles to win that '47 title, a week after Philadelphia beat the Steelers in a rare playoff game for the Eastern Conference playoff.

Former NFL receiver Cris Collinsworth, the NBC analyst, agrees with Tomlin that Fitzgerald's ability to make plays when the ball is in the air is unmatched.

"I don't know what Larry Fitzgerald's vertical leap is, but he looks like Michael Jordan playing out there to me," Collinsworth said Tuesday. "If it's a tie, you just throw the ball up in the air and Larry Fitzgerald comes down with it."

Tomlin isn't about to tip his hand about the Steelers' coverage plans for Fitzgerald, but no doubt cornerback Ike Taylor and safety Ryan Clark are keys to it.

Taylor isn't as well known as the showpiece players on Pittsburgh's defense - Troy Polamalu, Defensive Player of the Year James Harrison and linebacker James Harrison - yet he allowed only two touchdowns in coverage all season and is a Pro Bowl alternate.

If Fitzgerald runs into All-Pro safety Polamalu, it might be when he goes over the middle rather than deep, as Polamalu often plays as much like a linebacker as he does a defensive back.

The Steelers like to negate a receiver's production by putting pressure on the quarterback, and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau practically invented the zone blitz. But blitzing could be difficult against Arizona's Kurt Warner, who, according to STATS, led the NFL with 14 touchdown passes against the blitz.

Fitzgerald is one of three Arizona 1,000-yard receivers, along with Anquan Boldin and former Pittsburgh high school star Steve Breaston. But Fitzgerald might be toughest matchup problem all season for the Steelers, who easily led the league in pass coverage. Pittsburgh allowed an average of 156.9 yards passing, or more than 130 yards game below the Cardinals' offensive average of 292.1 yards.

Still, Steelers wide receiver Nate Washington said, "It's not about what they do. It's about what we do. As long as we block hard, run hard, tackle hard, catch passes, make the right reads, our potential is unlimited. We can do anything we want to do."

Or kind of like the way Larry Fitzgerald plays on many Sundays.

Copyright Associated Press 2009

revefsreleets
01-21-2009, 10:02 AM
The Eagles clearly didn't take the Cardinals seriously. That is NOT going to be a mistake repeated by the Steelers...

82CardsGrad
01-21-2009, 10:21 AM
The Eagles clearly didn't take the Cardinals seriously. That is NOT going to be a mistake repeated by the Steelers...

Really? Certainly wouldn't know that by reading the comments on this board...

:blah:

fansince'76
01-21-2009, 10:27 AM

You do know that there's a difference between fans and coaches, right? By reading some of the crap you've spewed, we're facing the best offense in NFL history. Funny how the team only went 9-7 in one of the weakest divisions in the league. :coffee:

82CardsGrad
01-21-2009, 10:42 AM
You do know that there's a difference between fans and coaches, right? By reading some of the crap you've spewed, we're facing the best offense in NFL history. Funny how the team only went 9-7 in one of the weakest divisions in the league. :coffee:

Yea... I do...

As for the 9 & 7 record... it is really a bit of a misleading data point. The Cards have been and still are a work in progress. Whiz & Co have only been here 2 years. Our best CB is a rookie. The right side of our o-line (Brown and Lutui) are in their second years...
The RB who started 1/2 the season for us is a 5th round rookie (Hightower).
Kurt only played 1/2 the season last season, and come to camp thinking Leinart would be the starter - as we all did (of course, we are happy he wasn't!).
This team is extremely young and inexperienced... and very talented.

For the record, they did go 6 & 0 in the "weakest division"... All that means is that they beat up the teams they were supposed to beat up...

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-21-2009, 10:45 AM

Man you sure do like to antagonize people don't ya?

TheSteelCurtain
01-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Did that guy just tell us why the Cardinals Blow. Because that was not a good post to support your team

revefsreleets
01-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I don't play for the Steelers. If I did, I'd take them more seriously.

I'm just a fan who knows my team and coaches. I have no reason to sweat the Cards or take them seriously at all.

Look at it this way...the ONLY people who are giving the Cards any chance to win are the fans of the Cards. What does that tell you?

82CardsGrad
01-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Did that guy just tell us why the Cardinals Blow. Because that was not a good post to support your team

Just stating the facts about a team you are facing in the biggest game in the NFL... So yea - your competition "blows"... :rofl:

82CardsGrad
01-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I don't play for the Steelers. If I did, I'd take them more seriously.

I'm just a fan who knows my team and coaches. I have no reason to sweat the Cards or take them seriously at all.

Look at it this way...the ONLY people who are giving the Cards any chance to win are the fans of the Cards. What does that tell you?

It tells me that you guys and this game are no different than the 3 previous post season games we've played this year, where the Cards were dogs in all of them and the only ones picking the Cards to win were us fans...

Hey, the Cards have never been here before... The Steelers have WON 5... The Cardinals went 9 & 7 in the regular season. You guys have the alltime best defense in the history of the game! Why in the world would anyone pick the redbirds?? Why is the line only 6.5 points? Why is this game even being played???? :banging:

fansince'76
01-21-2009, 10:54 AM
It tells me that you guys and this game are no different than the 3 previous post season games we've played this year, where the Cards were dogs in all of them and the only ones picking the Cards to win were us fans...:

And you've parroted pretty much the same remarks we heard from Chargers fans two weeks ago almost verbatim. Only the names are different. "You guys won't be able to stop Sproles!" "We've gotten way better since the regular season!" "Philip Rivers was the top-ranked passer in the NFL this year!" "We're gonna bust out for at least 30 points against you, and no way is your offense gonna be able to keep pace!" :coffee:

TheSteelCurtain
01-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Cause 6.5 is a sucker line and Vegas is gonna make MONEYS

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-21-2009, 10:57 AM
It tells me that you guys and this game are no different than the 3 previous post season games we've played this year, where the Cards were dogs in all of them and the only ones picking the Cards to win were us fans...

Hey, the Cards have never been here before... The Steelers have WON 5... The Cardinals went 9 & 7 in the regular season. You guys have the alltime best defense in the history of the game! Why in the world would anyone pick the redbirds?? Why is the line only 6.5 points? Why is this game even being played???? :banging:

Meh you keep running with that under dog/ no respect card. We did it in 2005/06. You have an advantage as a fan and sports talk? Because you got nothing to lose, if your team wins you will here "Yaa we shocked the world told ya we can do it!!" if the cards lose you will here "Well it was expected by the media and everyone, we put up a good fight boys!"

Keep riding that wave buddy, its an exciting one.

If anything the disadvantage goes to the Steelers. It seems that majority of the country is rooting for the Cards. Like last year everyone wanted to Giants? Everyone loves a Cinderella Story and this year its the Cards.

lukas
01-21-2009, 10:57 AM
From 82cardgradon arizonasportsfan.com

"I absolutely did indeed visit steelersfever.com. Thought I might find the chance to engage in solid football discussion... WRONG! Of all other forums I have visited, I have never seen a bigger bunch of morons in my life...
I made my case. Said the Steelers defense is GREAT. Led by GREAT coaching and filled with GREAT talent.
I also said our offense is GREAT. Led by GREAT coaching and filled with GREAT talent. And instead of getting quality responses, I got " go suck dick"... "you're a jerk-off"... If you call that "shredding my arguements, bit by bit...", well - I have even less hope for the city of Pittsburgh and its' education system!"

Bitch much?

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-21-2009, 10:59 AM
From 82cardfan on arizonasportsfan.com

"I absolutely did indeed visit steelersfever.com. Thought I might find the chance to engage in solid football discussion... WRONG! Of all other forums I have visited, I have never seen a bigger bunch of morons in my life...
I made my case. Said the Steelers defense is GREAT. Led by GREAT coaching and filled with GREAT talent.
I also said our offense is GREAT. Led by GREAT coaching and filled with GREAT talent. And instead of getting quality responses, I got " go suck dick"... "you're a jerk-off"... If you call that "shredding my arguements, bit by bit...", well - I have even less hope for the city of Pittsburgh and its' education system!"

Bitch much?

Wow man wow, i actually gave you the benefit of the doubt but you my friend or the king of :troll:'s.

82CardsGrad
01-21-2009, 11:00 AM

Bitch much?

Again.. just stating the facts... :wave:

fansince'76
01-21-2009, 11:00 AM

Bitch much?

All this slobbering delusional homer has done since he's been here is whine about his poor wittle team getting no wespect. It's become tiresome, to say the least.

fansince'76
01-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Waaahhh! Waaahhh! Waaahhh!

:crying01: :crying01: :crying01:

MACH1
01-21-2009, 11:02 AM
The only thing I hear from 82bandwagon is the slurping on fitz's sack. What the argument were supposed to pick apart besides his lips from the sack.

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-21-2009, 11:14 AM
WOW

First this guy introduces himself as a STEELERS/JETS/CARDS fan
Second he accusing of all Steeler fans as ignorant people who don't retain his knowable input. (In which if he had a brain he would see we agree with him on most topics)
Third every time you rebut his arguement he simple puts a :blah: in your face like a 7yr old kid.
Fourth he tries to patch it up and play the good guy card at the end of his posts.
Fifth he goes back to his own site where he belongs and whines and pouts and moans about the steelers fans.

Geez man, you are a Troll im sorry. Like I said I try to give the benefit of the doubt but you got :troll: written all over for you.

PLEASE invite someone else from cardinalstalk to come over to replace you. Maybe a fan scratch that a MAN with respect.

revefsreleets
01-21-2009, 11:16 AM
The problem is there's really no compelling football arguments to be made in the Cardinals favor. Complimenting the Steelers is fine, but it's completely deserved. The disconnect occurs when there is a lack of general football knowledge which is used to back up ridiculous predictions like the Cards beating the Steelers 31-10 or whatever it was.

How do you propose the Cardinals are going to score more points on the Steelers D than anyone else did thise season? Why would the Cardinals somehow be more physical than the Ravens on defense? I've run this game through my head a hundred times and I can't see the Cards scoring more than 14 points, and I see NO reason or way the Cards defense does anything to slow down our running game.

Sure, anything can happen, a key muff on a kick or something, and a big play or two, but over 60 minutes the better team is going to win this football game, and the far better team is the Steelers.

deminutah
01-21-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm sure it has been said, but I keep seeing the same arguement of how great the Cards O is from all of this new set of trolls.

Has anyone mentioned that if the Steelers have 4 to 8 minute drives as we did against the Chargers and which I think we will do again, then the Cards O will not be on the field that much. Seems we did that to the Colts once upon a time.

Thoughts???

TheSteelCurtain
01-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Why wouldnt Steeler Fans be confident.

We came of a dominating performance against one of our most hated rivals.
We have 20 players with SB Experience to their 5. (Im sorry Sean Morey, St Pierre dont count) So make that 3.
We have the best defense in the NFL possibly ever.

We all are die hard Steeler Fans. We have expected Greatness since we were born. I was 5 years old hearing about 4 super bowls. Whenever he was 5 they didnt even compete.

Dino 6 Rings
01-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Yeah...too bad in the 2002 game against Texas A&M Fitz couldn't catch the 2 point conversation pass...final score 14-12 Texas A&M...

oh yeah...too bad in the 2002 game against WVU with the score 24-17 he let the ball bounce right off his chect in the endzone with time running out in the game on 3rd down...yep too bad...

but you have to be a Pitt fan to remember those drops...

Hines4ever
01-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Ok 82 Card-Troll....
Here's the deal.....I have just as much confidence in and love for my team as anyone; however, I DO NOT go to other team's message boards and start talking smack when we're the underdog.....yes, anything can happen....and a true Steeler fan sees both positives and the negatives of their team....they don't make dellusional excuses when hard core facts are presented.....
So my question is this....are you here because you're mommy didn't give you enough attention??????

:flap:

TheSteelCurtain
01-21-2009, 12:13 PM
larry is good and im not talking that away from him at all. Probably the best in the NFL.

But if you look at his 3 TD Catches.

1. The first one was just a 20 yd pass that he made a few people miss. Nothing compared to what Santonio did on the 65 yd TD Run. He had ravens diving everywhere.

2. The Long RB Throwback. The philly defender did a terrible job at covering this. He got spinned around twice and fell on his face. I dont see TROY or Ryan Clark having that problem.

3. The Fade. I love Ike Taylor but i feel this is the weakest part of his game. Its tough for a 5'10 guy to go up and get a ball on a 6'3 receiver. But the philly defender gave him position all day. I feel we will give him the inside and let Troy come down on it and whoever matches up with him will look for the fade.

JackHammer
01-21-2009, 07:17 PM

As if this board is made up of Steelers players and not Steelers fans? :blah:

82CardsGrad
01-21-2009, 07:22 PM
As if this board is made up of Steelers players and not Steelers fans? :blah:

I know... stupid statement... we've got our yahoos at our board as well...

The Steelers will be honed and well-prepared for this battle, just as they always are...
There are so many intriguing dynamics to this game though... Our offense vs your defense... Whiz, Grimm and Haley once being in your organization... The stark similarities between Boldin and Ward...
Also, I love the fact that our two franchises are part of the small original group to start the NFL...

Good stuff!

Frankie3521
01-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Yea... I do...

As for the 9 & 7 record... it is really a bit of a misleading data point. The Cards have been and still are a work in progress. Whiz & Co have only been here 2 years. Our best CB is a rookie. The right side of our o-line (Brown and Lutui) are in their second years...
The RB who started 1/2 the season for us is a 5th round rookie (Hightower).
Kurt only played 1/2 the season last season, and come to camp thinking Leinart would be the starter - as we all did (of course, we are happy he wasn't!).
This team is extremely young and inexperienced... and very talented.

For the record, they did go 6 & 0 in the "weakest division"... All that means is that they beat up the teams they were supposed to beat up...

So they went 3-7 out of their week division? Ohh..i'm scared.

You make it seem like because of all these flaws about your best CB being a rookie and all this other shit somehow is going to give you bonus points in the game. It's not, it's not like now he is some magically seasoned veteran because he won 2 playoff games, your flaws are still your flaws. Prepare to be punished in the superbowl, your team blows. I'm sick and tired of your idiotic posts around this bored, it's ridiculous. You're the biggest Cardinals homer I think I have ever seen.

43Hitman
01-21-2009, 07:39 PM

You see, you say shit like this and then bitch and moan when Steeler fans line up to smack you. You can't have it both ways. If you wanna act like an asshat you're gonna be treated like one.:coffee: