PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin manically preaching perspective

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Tomlin manically preaching perspective
By Mike Prisuta, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 21, 2009

There was one formal acknowledgement on the South Side that Tuesday wasn't just another Tuesday.

The Steelers announced, via news release, that head coach Mike Tomlin's normal media briefing would be pushed back from noon to 1 p.m., so as not to conflict with the inauguration of President Barack Obama.

Other than that, nothing had changed, according to second-year coach.

"Normal Tuesday for us," Tomlin said. "We met with our football team (Monday) afternoon at 2, reviewed our performance in the AFC Championship (Game) and kind of laid out our plan for the week.

"Our plan for this week, really, more than anything, is business as usual."

It is, except for the looming details of a mandated bye week, followed by a plane ride Monday for The Game, Super Bowl XLIII.

That being the case, yesterday was about as abnormal a day as the Steelers' coach has ever had on the job.

Acknowledging as much would seem to eliminate any possibility of the Steelers' accomplishing Tomlin's stated goal: "Complete normalcy in our daily routine in the comforts of our facility."

So naturally, Tomlin isn't willing to acknowledge Tampa, Fla.

Not yet, at least.

"I'm pretty good at it," Tomlin said. "I can trick myself.

"We're not playing the Super Bowl today, so there's no need for the hair to stand up on the back of my neck today. It's Tuesday. We're putting in a gameplan. You need to be somewhat cerebral as you approach it that way.

"I tend to attack the challenges that are right in front of me, the ones that I have today. That's what's on today's menu for me."

Such constant focus is the signature Tomlin has scrawled onto these Steelers, his Steelers.

"He's told us we've been even all year, at the same (emotional) level," linebacker James Farrior said after the Ravens had been defeated in the AFC clincher. "Playoff time comes around, you just have to be the same guy. You gotta do the same things that got you there.

"He made us aware of that and wanted us to feel like that."

That's a pitch Tomlin has been flinging all season. And his Steelers' reaction to their postseason triumphs over San Diego and Baltimore suggest Tomlin has been painting the corners since September.

There was more than a little on-field celebrating last Sunday night in front of the Heinz Field faithful. But once they retired to the locker room, the Steelers' collective demeanor and emotional level suggested they really had played just another game except for the "AFC Champions" hats and T-shirts.

They also wore hats acknowledging their status as AFC North Division champions back on Dec. 14 in Baltimore.

But they eventually took those off.

Tomlin, likewise, said yesterday he hasn't as yet allowed himself even 30 seconds of personal or private, "We're going to the Super Bowl" euphoria.

"If I had that mentality, then that would mean that I didn't believe what I've said all year, and that is that we're capable of being where we are right now," Tomlin said.

"I believed that then, I believe that now."

No sense getting all emotional over what you saw coming all along.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_608089.html

Steelers
01-21-2009, 10:35 AM
His eyes are on the prize. Great hire, IMO.

scsteeler
01-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Yes Tomlin was a another great hire. The Rooney's know how to find that hidden gem.

Tomlin's statement of our Goal was not to Make it to the Superbowl is an amazing one!!!!!!!!

I agree with that statement you just don't want to make it you want to win it and that was the Goal he and this team had for this year and there is one more game to play in order to reach that goal.