PDA

View Full Version : Two Rooneys deliver game ball to Obama

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Two Rooneys deliver game ball to Obama
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers say they have a new fan in the White House and the new president also has one of the team's most recent prized collectibles, a game ball from their victory in the AFC championship Sunday.

Dan Rooney and his son, Jim, personally delivered the football to Barack Obama Monday night in Washington.

The two Rooneys, who campaigned heavily for President Obama in Pennsylvania and three surrounding states for several months before the election, attended the black-tie dinner at the Washington Hilton that Obama held for Sen. John McCain, the Republican presidential candidate he defeated in November. The Obama campaign invited the Rooneys to the dinner.

The 44th president, on the eve of his inauguration, spoke about McCain before he left for another dinner he held for Colin Powell. Obama met with Dan and Jim Rooney in a separate room at the Hilton, where he received the game ball.

"He's a [Chicago] Bears fan first, he admits that," Dan Rooney said yesterday at the Steelers' UPMC training center. "But he's a Steelers' fan. He's said it, and all his staff, they're rooting for us [in the Super Bowl]."

Also in attendance was former Steelers Hall of Fame running back Franco Harris.

While Dan Rooney knew the Kennedys and was particularly close with Bobby Kennedy, he said he never has been as close with a president as he is with Obama, whom he calls a friend.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09021/943199-66.stm

hindes204
01-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Two Rooneys deliver game ball to Obama
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers say they have a new fan in the White House and the new president also has one of the team's most recent prized collectibles, a game ball from their victory in the AFC championship Sunday.

Dan Rooney and his son, Jim, personally delivered the football to Barack Obama Monday night in Washington.

The two Rooneys, who campaigned heavily for President Obama in Pennsylvania and three surrounding states for several months before the election, attended the black-tie dinner at the Washington Hilton that Obama held for Sen. John McCain, the Republican presidential candidate he defeated in November. The Obama campaign invited the Rooneys to the dinner.

The 44th president, on the eve of his inauguration, spoke about McCain before he left for another dinner he held for Colin Powell. Obama met with Dan and Jim Rooney in a separate room at the Hilton, where he received the game ball.

"He's a [Chicago] Bears fan first, he admits that," Dan Rooney said yesterday at the Steelers' UPMC training center. "But he's a Steelers' fan. He's said it, and all his staff, they're rooting for us [in the Super Bowl]."

Also in attendance was former Steelers Hall of Fame running back Franco Harris.

While Dan Rooney knew the Kennedys and was particularly close with Bobby Kennedy, he said he never has been as close with a president as he is with Obama, whom he calls a friend.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09021/943199-66.stm

:banging::banging::banging:
just what we need....a high profile band-waggoner.....of course, this may be the only thing me and B. Hussein Obama agree on, wanting the Steelers to win

sacredgrooves
01-21-2009, 08:57 AM
just what we need....a high profile band-waggoner.....of course, this may be the only thing me and B. Hussein Obama agree on, wanting the Steelers to win

I am sure when in AZ he is a Cards fan too....how a smashmouth team can embrace such pacifist liberals, I just don't get it. Oh well, they all suck. :chuckle:

drizze99
01-21-2009, 09:02 AM
LOL, I love it!

scsteeler
01-21-2009, 10:15 AM

Is that Hate for our President that I hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes he is your President, get use to it!!!!!!!!

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Maybe he will pay the refs in our favor! :chuckle: For example WILL SOME ONE THROW THE FLAG ON HOLDING ON HARRISON?!?!

TheSteelCurtain
01-21-2009, 10:59 AM
I heard his first Duty of President is going to Parden Ryan Clark for knocking people the fhug out.

atlsteelers
01-21-2009, 11:10 AM
I thought it was a great sign of respect for them to present the game ball to the president. the rooneys worked hard to get barrack ellected and they were glad to share the moment with him.

The_WARDen
01-21-2009, 12:52 PM
the Rooneys know good leaders....what else is new?

RoethlisBURGHer
01-21-2009, 01:36 PM
That's very cool.

I wonder if he'll let us adopt his campaign slogan for the Super Bowl. YES WE CAN!

Vis
01-21-2009, 02:15 PM
That's very cool.

I wonder if he'll let us adopt his campaign slogan for the Super Bowl. YES WE CAN!

As long as an AZ win isn't change we can believe in.
He's a Bears fan. His next 4 years look tougher and tougher

rich4eagle
01-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Is it racists above who are showing their ugly head or those that wish America have eight more years of self destruction masochists

Interestting and saddening people can hate the NEW guy and hope after being WRECKED For eight years by incompetence and failure

Vis
01-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Is it racists above who are showing their ugly head or those that wish America have eight more years of self destruction masochists

Interestting and saddening people can hate the NEW guy and hope after being WRECKED For eight years by incompetence and failure

It's people treating politics like sports. They're all homers.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-21-2009, 03:17 PM
even the Rooney's make mistakes... I am going to be sick if I see another ad for Obama collectable platEs, or coins, or maxi pads, or whatever...

Vis
01-21-2009, 03:20 PM
even the Rooney's make mistakes... I am going to be sick if I see another ad for Obama collectable plats, or coins, or maxi pads, or whatever...

They're just trying to jump start the free market. $29.95 for a $2 bill with Obama's picture pressed on one side - ingenious if it sells.

fansince'76
01-21-2009, 03:30 PM

Kinda like those on the other side of the aisle that openly rooted for Bush to fall on his face at every turn from day one of his administration and continuing nonstop for the last 8 years? Goes both ways.

Vis
01-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Kinda like those on the other side of the aisle that openly rooted for Bush to fall on his face at every turn from day one of his administration and continuing nonstop for the last 8 years? Goes both ways. The question is, why did he comply?:doh:

aries4972
01-21-2009, 03:56 PM
That's very cool.

How boput we tweek it a little bit.
YES WE CAN............................................... ........AGAIN! :tt::tt::tt::tt::tt::tt:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-21-2009, 03:58 PM
How boput we tweek it a little bit.
YES WE CAN............................................... ........AGAIN! :tt::tt::tt::tt::tt::tt:

I prefer "YES WE DID!"

aries4972
01-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Kinda like those on the other side of the aisle that openly rooted for Bush to fall on his face at every turn from day one of his administration and continuing nonstop for the last 8 years? Goes both ways.

Bush didn't need anybody to "root" for him to fall on his face.... he did that very well with absolutly NO Support:coffee:

The_WARDen
01-21-2009, 04:13 PM
even the Rooney's make mistakes... I am going to be sick if I see another ad for Obama collectable platEs, or coins, or maxi pads, or whatever...

so do Americans....and their mistake just slithered out of office.

SteelersMongol
01-21-2009, 10:06 PM
How about "You KAN DO iiit!!!"? :chuckle:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-21-2009, 10:21 PM
so do Americans....and their mistake just slithered into office.

fixed it for you...

augustashark
01-22-2009, 05:31 AM
Bush didn't need anybody to "root" for him to fall on his face.... he did that very well with absolutly NO Support:coffee::blah::blah:

I know, he stole the 2000 election therefore you and the few others on this thread gave him a chance from the start right? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggggghhhhhhhht..:coffee :

meelanova
01-22-2009, 06:04 AM
Obama is indeed the president. Everyone needs to get used to it. He'll be here for the 4years. Some of you here act like little B's when it comes to politics.