PDA

View Full Version : 21th Anniversary of the Team that got destroyed is in 30 days!

Brady12
12-27-2005, 08:11 PM
The 21st anniversary of the New England Patriots blowout shameful loss to the Chicago Bears, 46-10 in the Super Bowl in 1985 is coming up in 30 days... Celebrate! lol.

clevestinks
12-27-2005, 08:14 PM
When Fridge scored a TD but Payton didn`t?

Koopa
12-27-2005, 08:15 PM
well good thing i wasn't born yet cause that shit is horrible. no passion lol

Suitanim
12-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Wow...that takes me back. That was back in the day when it was the NFC who ruled the roost. That horrible video...but almost everyone pulling for Walter "Sweetness" Payton to get that ring...who was the NE QB? Grogan, or was it Eason?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2005, 10:10 PM
I think it was Grogan wasnt it.. and Wasnt craig james the running back ?

Livinginthe past
12-28-2005, 06:22 AM
The QB who took the mauling was Steve Grogan and our rushing game totalled 7 yards.
It was a heart-breaking end to a fairytale season.

Ok im done thinking about that now - im going to put one of the 3GTG DVD's on to cheer myself up.

NM

augustashark
12-30-2005, 03:45 PM
The QB who took the mauling was Steve Grogan and our rushing game totalled 7 yards.

Ok im done thinking about that now - im going to put one of the 3GTG DVD's on to cheer myself up.

NM

You were just a boy then.....You can't remember that game! Come on! Ok let see trivia question.

Who scored the only tuchdown for the pats? (don't go to pats.com and look it up)

3 to be 4
12-31-2005, 07:01 AM
ok, well I have adifferent take on the 1985 Patriots season. I was a long suffering Patriots fan of 23 years old. the idea of the Patriots ever going to a Super Bowl was purely fantasy, even when they had talented teams in the late 70's. They were basically a cult team in the Boston area for years, entrenched as # 4 in town. They were known as a talented classic screwup in the big situation team. think the Seattle Seahawks. In October of 1985 my then wife left me and i was devastated. the Patriots started winning and became my diversion. Eason got hurt when they were 2-3 and Grogan came in and led them to 6 straight wins before HE got hurt. Eason came back a wiser QB and they made my year by just making the playoffs. I cant tell you the joy they brought me during those 3 road playoff wins, the first playoff wins in Patriot history! Beating Miami in the AFCC Game will always be one of my top 5 sports memories. It was like a miracle sent from God to me to help me "If the Patriots can go to a Super Bowl, i can get through this divorce. miracles can happen" It was that big to me. Just getting there was my victory.
I knew the Bears were possibly the greatest team ever and figured they would beat the Patriots something like 44-2. When the Patriot took a 3-0 lead it allowed me to dream "what if.." for a brief moment. But what happened after sunk that. It did hurt. But what hurts more is the revisionist history of Boston fans. Just like thr myth that if Buckner got the ball the REd Sox win the WS (game was tied folks, in NY, AND it was game 6, not 7, so theres plenty of blame to go around, especially Stanley and Gedman for letting the game get tied), i cant stand how Raymond Berry and Tony Eason are so dissed in Boston. the coach and QB who got the Patriots to their first SB. Eason did what Grogan never did, played mistake free football in a playoff game. Berry guided a team to a Super Bowl. And both a hated mostly for a stupid reason, they got in the way of the "great" Doug Flutie in 1988 and 1989. As Mo Vaughn said "stupid Boston fans, STUPID!"
anyway....i'll always love the 1985 New England Patriots. they got to the Super Bowl. they put us on the map. any other team would have lost to the Bears like that on Jan 26 1986. by the way, Irving Fryer scored the TD. And EAson started the game before being replaced by an equally inept Grogan.

LambertIsGod58
12-31-2005, 09:03 AM
I seem to recall Eason playing in that SB. I was only 12, so I could be wrong.

clevestinks
12-31-2005, 09:42 AM
well good thing i wasn't born yet cause that shit is horrible. no passion lol
Wasn`t born yet? Dmn I must be getting OLD!

Cape Cod Steel Head
12-31-2005, 09:49 AM

NMIt was definitely Tony Eason. Shame on you LITP. I guess Paty's fans can't remember anything before 2002, and who can blame them!:busted:

Stlrs4Life
12-31-2005, 10:32 AM
LITP, I think he is correct.

Livinginthe past
12-31-2005, 11:26 AM
I wasn't going to bother answering this thread again.

Grogan played the vast majority of the game.

Here are the stats for the game.

New England ------ Att -- Comp -- Yds. TD Int.
Grogan------------ 30 ---- 17 ---- 177--- 1 --- 2
Eason-------------- 6 ------ 0 ----- 0 ---- 0 ---- 0

I wouldn't regard Eason 6 incomplete passes as a significant contribution - but then we all have our own standards.

NM

Cape Cod Steel Head
12-31-2005, 12:00 PM
I wasn't going to bother answering this thread again.

Grogan played the vast majority of the game.

Here are the stats for the game.

New England ------ Att -- Comp -- Yds. TD Int.
Grogan------------ 30 ---- 17 ---- 177--- 1 --- 2
Eason-------------- 6 ------ 0 ----- 0 ---- 0 ---- 0

I wouldn't regard Eason 6 incomplete passes as a significant contribution - but then we all have our own standards.

NMEason was replaced in the second quarter by Grogan, but nonetheless Eason did start, and as such is on record as the losing quarterback.

3 to be 4
12-31-2005, 02:48 PM
the shame is how so many Patriot fans forget how effective Eason played in the 3 playoff wins to get them to the Super Bowl. I was one of the few New England fans who always felt Eason was a better quarterback. Steve Grogan was popular because he had that tough guy personna Bostonians love in their Terry O'Reilly's, Trot Nixons's etc that tend to get these type vastly overated. for most of his career, Grogan was a poor passer who couldnt throw a screen pass to save his life. And he never had big games in big games, in fact he never won a playoff game. Then here comes EAson and in 1984 he was probably the 2nd best QB in the AFC behind Marino. THen after a poor start in 1985, he came back from injury to lead to Patriots to the SB. And in 1986 he was fantastic. Injuries and media/fan harshness over the fact that wasnt Grogan OR Flutie led to his downfall. But i'll never forget the playoff games at the JEts,Raiders, and Dolphins, the hail mary vs the Rams in 1986, and the contributions Tony Eason made before the backstabbing from Grogan guys like Hannah and Nelson created the myth of the ineptness and supposed cowardnice of Eason. A shameful episode in Patriot history.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2005, 02:50 PM
Wasnt Eason also part of that famed QB class as well ?

3 to be 4
12-31-2005, 03:09 PM
indeed he was.
Marino, Elway, Kelly, Eason, Ken O'Brien, and Todd Blacklidge. Every one took his team to the playoffs, 4 to the Super Bowl, 1 to a championship.

Cape Cod Steel Head
12-31-2005, 04:48 PM
the shame is how so many Patriot fans forget how effective Eason played in the 3 playoff wins to get them to the Super Bowl. I was one of the few New England fans who always felt Eason was a better quarterback. Steve Grogan was popular because he had that tough guy personna Bostonians love in their Terry O'Reilly's, Trot Nixons's etc that tend to get these type vastly overated. for most of his career, Grogan was a poor passer who couldnt throw a screen pass to save his life. And he never had big games in big games, in fact he never won a playoff game. Then here comes EAson and in 1984 he was probably the 2nd best QB in the AFC behind Marino. THen after a poor start in 1985, he came back from injury to lead to Patriots to the SB. And in 1986 he was fantastic. Injuries and media/fan harshness over the fact that wasnt Grogan OR Flutie led to his downfall. But i'll never forget the playoff games at the JEts,Raiders, and Dolphins, the hail mary vs the Rams in 1986, and the contributions Tony Eason made before the backstabbing from Grogan guys like Hannah and Nelson created the myth of the ineptness and supposed cowardnice of Eason. A shameful episode in Patriot history.If memory serves correct I think he had the flu in Super Bowl XX. Not that it would have made a difference.

3 to be 4
12-31-2005, 06:00 PM
I seem to remember that in the pregame too. But lets face it, Deiter Brock, Danny White, Ken O'Brien, Phil Simms...a lot of QB's were made to look pretty sick by that Bear defense that year. I always thought the only Qb's who's have a prayer against that defense in 1985 were Marino (who did indeed beat them) and Montana.