:chuckle:

Sorry, couldn't help myself....

MACH1
01-21-2009, 12:04 PM
yup, might as well start it early. :laughing:

Sharkissle29
01-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Well..I think it is time to eat my crow

The steelers poor offense wasnt because of Arians and his playcalling, but rather the offenses execution. The steelers are executing on offense (o-line is starting to click) which is opening up Arians playcalling.

I was wrong. There i said it.

Hammer67
01-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Well..I think it is time to eat my crow

The steelers poor offense wasnt because of Arians and his playcalling, but rather the offenses execution. The steelers are executing on offense (o-line is starting to click) which is opening up Arians playcalling.

I was wrong. There i said it.

In fairness, he has made some questionable calls. But I think people just don't like his more open offensive packages because we aren't used to them in the Burgh. People fear change by nature.

revefsreleets
01-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Fire Tomlin!
Bench Ben!
Timmons is a bust!
Troy is done this year!

Did I miss any?

MACH1
01-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Fire Tomlin!
Bench Ben!
Timmons is a bust!
Troy is done this year!

Did I miss any?

Parker sucks!

Cheppy
01-21-2009, 12:25 PM
The steelers poor offense wasnt because of Arians and his playcalling,

I think that had alot (alot) to do with it. Especially in the second half. Receivers were open all day & during the second half the offense seemed to play scared, not taking chances downfield. And I never expected Parker to gain a 100 yards or anything but I did expect alot more perimeter run plays to be called. (especially with how the speedy chris johnson carved up the ravens the week before) Instead they consistently ran up the gut (into the strength of the ravens big & slow front seven, namely ngata) & they were consistently stuffed. And on 3rd & 1 they go 5 wide with an empty backfield?! I'm not saying you have to run there (although it'd be nice) but to not have at least the threat of a running play with a back in the backfield in that situation....... That's just plain dumb play-calling.

It's as if the Steelers win despite the ineptitude of Arians play-calling & philosophy. (although i'm still trying to figure out what arians philosophy is) And all of the big plays made by Ben during broken plays gives credence to that.

I'm still for the firing of Arians.

steelax04
01-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Fire Tomlin!
Bench Ben!
Timmons is a bust!
Troy is done this year!

Did I miss any?

The Steelers won't do any better than 9-7!

fansince'76
01-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Fire Tomlin!
Bench Ben!
Timmons is a bust!
Troy is done this year!

Did I miss any?

Cut SWEEEEEEEEEED! :chuckle:

slippy
01-21-2009, 12:32 PM
he would be the perfect coach for the oakland raiders.

while it's been an excellent season and the offense has had execution problems, arians' playcalling leaves a lot to be desired.

Cheppy
01-21-2009, 12:33 PM
if we happened to lose this game this we be the first topic of discussion in the off season

And it's not like it wasn't close. Only up 2 with 5 minutes left? We should've been up by 10. (that's with the pathetic play by sweed still standing)

tony hipchest
01-21-2009, 12:39 PM
we left 3 td's on the field. 2 tds dropped by sweed and parker and the 1 the refs stole from santonio.

we had some pretty good offense and the ravens had no answer for it.

Cheppy
01-21-2009, 12:42 PM
we left 3 td's on the field. 2 tds dropped by sweed

I count one. Ben made a bad throw on the second deep ball to Sweed who broke it up and prevented a pick.

and parker and the 1 the refs stole from santonio.

The Holmes call was bush league.

we had some pretty good offense and the ravens had no answer for it.

Not in the 2nd half, at all.

westcoastransplant
01-21-2009, 12:48 PM
:chuckle:

Sorry, couldn't help myself....

:rofl: I read the title and almost yelled WTF! I've been arguing all season that I hate the fact he doesn't run with a FB but this offense is good enough to get to the Super Bowl. Thats good enough for me.

Hammer67
01-21-2009, 02:47 PM
And it's not like it wasn't close. Only up 2 with 5 minutes left? We should've been up by 10. (that's with the pathetic play by sweed still standing)

It was the #2 defense in the league!

Anyway, I think offensively they were fine. Everything hinges on the O line playing well...and they have in the Playoffs this year.

TackleMeBen
01-21-2009, 02:50 PM
maybe ben threatened him, and that is why the play calling has gotten better..lol

LVSteelersfan
01-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Sorry, but all of those runs on first and second down straight up the gut against the Ravens were STUPID. Can't he see it wasn't working? I just don't get it how he can possibly be a coordinator and keep calling the same plays over and over and over on first down when it IS NOT WORKING. He needs to go even if we win the Super Bowl. He is definitely the weak link on our team. Throwing screens to Parker is moronic as well. Get Memo involved in the game more. He can at least CATCH THE BALL.

joeyssteelcurtain
01-21-2009, 03:28 PM
No way he is going anywhere we are in the super bowl

NJarhead
01-21-2009, 03:29 PM
We'd be 14-2 if it weren't for Mahan!!!! :chuckle:

TackleMeBen
01-21-2009, 03:31 PM
We'd be 14-2 if it weren't for Mahan!!!! :chuckle:
and here i thought it was kuhn..lol

Cheppy
01-21-2009, 03:40 PM
It was the #2 defense in the league!

And their secondary was decimated & there were plays to be had downfield all game. (not just the 1st half)

Anyway, I think offensively they were fine.

They were anything but fine in the second half.

Sorry, but all of those runs on first and second down straight up the gut against the Ravens were STUPID. Can't he see it wasn't working? I just don't get it how he can possibly be a coordinator and keep calling the same plays over and over and over on first down when it IS NOT WORKING.

Thank you.

stlrtruck
01-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Sorry, but all of those runs on first and second down straight up the gut against the Ravens were STUPID. Can't he see it wasn't working? I just don't get it how he can possibly be a coordinator and keep calling the same plays over and over and over on first down when it IS NOT WORKING.

I believe it's called keeping the defense honest. As I read in an article a few weeks ago, sometimes doing the things that don't appear to be working open up something else later in the game.

Cheppy
01-21-2009, 04:14 PM
I believe it's called keeping the defense honest. As I read in an article a few weeks ago, sometimes doing the things that don't appear to be working open up something else later in the game.

And I remember thinking as the game went on that they're probably setting the Ravens up for some outside runs later on. But they never came... And they weren't utilizing play action for some downfield throws in the second half either.

TheSteelCurtain
01-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Cheppy are you aware that we had a pretty decisive victory. That our Offense put up more yards on the Ravens. Than most teams all season. That our #1 Target and big part of offensive game plan went down in the 1st quarter. That we had a dropped pass away from being up 24-6 at halftime. Do you watch the game or just catch sportscenter.
Cause i was sitting on the 45 yard line. 10 rows up and we looked pretty damn good.

Whenever your offense can play the whole postseason without giving up a point on turnovers your pretty good.

What did ya wanna do throw every down? You gotta take those runs. Everytime Willie tried to get it outside he had to cut it back inside.

The purpose of the 2nd half when you are winning is to wind the clock down. Remember the old Cowher Death Grips. The Steelers are 111 and 2. Since Bill Cowher became coach with a 14 point lead.

stillers4me
01-21-2009, 05:53 PM
While I'm not going to get into blasting the guy when we're one win away from being World Champions, I honestly don't see how anyone can honestly say that he's is the best that we can do. This team deserves a genius on both sides of the ball.

Albanysteelerfan
01-21-2009, 06:08 PM
I think the offensive line has improved and so has the running game. The Ravens defense is tough and The Steelers were never behind in the AFC championship game. The Steelers offense looked very good against San Diego in Divisional playoff game.

Steelers & I
01-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Bruce Arians WILL NOT be retained at seasons end. If anyone is so blind to see that the Steelers recent offensive success IS NOT attributed to Bruce Arians, then they are just that, BLIND!

The Steelers play calling and offensive packages as of late are merely a shell of what we saw from them in the middle of the season. Someone, most likely Tomlin, has obviously placed Arians on the proper course in regards to situational play calling, as well as the implementation of a lead blocking fullback in short yardage running situations. In fact, we once again witnessed Arians input during a 3rd and 1 play call last week. I'm referring to the 5 wide play call in which the pass was batted down by a defensive linemen resulting in the Steelers punting on 4th down. Oh yeah, that play call brought back some fond memories. It had BRUCE written all over it.

All season we witnessed the Arians supporters blaming the Steelers offensive woes on the offensive line. They were called "turnstiles", "the worst offensive line in Steelers history", it was stated that "they couldn't block their way out of a wet paper bag". So low and behold, the most POROUS of offensive linemen have suddenly learned how to EXECUTE the plays, is that what we're to believe?

Give me a break!!! It's a whole lot simpler to correct a crack pot-offensive coordinators play calling as opposed to an entire offensive line unit that were allegedly, "turnstiles".

Believe what you want to believe thread originator. You have always squawked in the past about Arians bashing threads but then when all is quiet, you decide to stir the pot. To steal your favorite response to other members threads, "WHO CARES"!
My Steelers are in the Super Bowl, I'm more concerned about the game. I won't waste a whole lot of time responding to your beliefs.

In closing I challenge you to put your money where your mouth is. I'm taking all bets, Arians is gone at seasons end. Click on the link below. All proceeds go dierctly to Steelers Fever Forums.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=30622&page=3

jev7452
01-21-2009, 06:13 PM
why does everyone feel the need to find something to complain about allll theee timeee??? pittsburgh is in the super bowl!! obviously whatever has been done has worked for us in one way or another.. so unless youre going to the heinz field and discussing these options (if you even have any other option) then just shut up and enjoy the team that you "support"

St33lersguy
01-21-2009, 06:18 PM
FIRE HIM!!!! Replace him with Shanahan or Gruden. he has made the stupidest play calling a countless number of times. The only reason we lost the Eagles game is because Pee brains had no offensive gameplan for that game. That guy is a f***ing dumbf***. He makes me question whether he passed high school for crying out loud. Bruce Arians sucks and he sucks really bad. HE HAS TO GET DUMPED AFTER THE SUPERBOWL. Imagine what could happen if we keep fat old pea brains

Preacher
01-21-2009, 06:18 PM
This is ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS.

People were SO MAD AT ARIANS because he was NOT running the ball up through the tackles. He was passing.

NOW? He runs the ball up through the tackles and everyone is mad at him. If he stopped running the ball and passed, people would be SCREAMING that he GAVE UP ON THE RUN.

How many times did we hear that this year?

Unless we have a PERFECT game, you all just aren't satisfied. And by perfect, I mean 340 yards in gains of 4-8 yards each. No big runs. No 2 yard runs. Just 4-8 yards each run, every run.

If they don't do that... it isn't perfect.. .and SOMEONE wants Arians fired.

Preacher
01-21-2009, 06:20 PM
FIRE HIM!!!! Replace him with Shanahan or Gruden. he has made the stupidest play calling a countless number of times. The only reason we lost the Eagles game is because Pee brains had no offensive gameplan for that game. That guy is a f***ing dumbf***. He makes me question whether he passed high school for crying out loud. Bruce Arians sucks and he sucks really bad. HE HAS TO GET DUMPED AFTER THE SUPERBOWL. Imagine what could happen if we keep fat old pea brains

I guess our offensive line being IN SHAMBLES had nothing to do with that right? ::coffee:

jev7452
01-21-2009, 06:24 PM
and if you honestly think that shanahan is gonna go from being a super bowl winning head coach to an offensive coordinator, you are a moron

SteelTalons
01-21-2009, 06:25 PM
This is ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS.

People were SO MAD AT ARIANS because he was NOT running the ball up through the tackles. He was passing.

NOW? He runs the ball up through the tackles and everyone is mad at him. If he stopped running the ball and passed, people would be SCREAMING that he GAVE UP ON THE RUN.

How many times did we hear that this year?

Unless we have a PERFECT game, you all just aren't satisfied. And by perfect, I mean 340 yards in gains of 4-8 yards each. No big runs. No 2 yard runs. Just 4-8 yards each run, every run.

I agree with you. :coffee:

Cheppy
01-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Cheppy are you aware that we had a pretty decisive victory.

Defensively, most definitely. Are you aware that we were only up by 2 with less than 5 to go? (it should've never came to that)

That our Offense put up more yards on the Ravens.

77 to be exact.. Should've been alot more. (even with sweed's drop standing) Are you aware that the Ravens outgained us in the 2nd half by 68 yards and that the Steelers offense gained a total of -10 yards in the 4th quarter?

That our #1 Target and big part of offensive game plan went down in the 1st quarter. That we had a dropped pass away from being up 24-6 at halftime.

And that was obviously huge. But are you aware that the Steelers were in attack mode on offense throughout that whole first half even with Ward out?

Do you watch the game or just catch sportscenter.
Cause i was sitting on the 45 yard line. 10 rows up and we looked pretty damn good.

Am I absolutely ecstatic that The Steelers beat the Ravens in the biggest possible stage for their rivalry & are on their way to Tampa? Absofreakinglutely.. But sorry guy, I'm not of those Steeler fans who are unable to be objective & think every aspect of their performance was great in a victory when it clearly wasn't.

Whenever your offense can play the whole postseason without giving up a point on turnovers your pretty good.

Or your defense is just otherworldy. (the d stopping the ratbirds after willie fumbled on the steelers 41 being an example) Ben has looked great though. He's been throwing lasers this postseason. I can't ever remember him playing as well as he has the last two games.

What did ya wanna do throw every down? You gotta take those runs. Everytime Willie tried to get it outside he had to cut it back inside.

I don't want them to throw every down at all. On the contrary I much prefer a smashmouth offense as opposed to an aerial assault. And I'm not saying they should've jettisoned the run either. But 90% of the running plays called were up the middle right into the strength of the Ravens defense. And you would think with speed & quickness being Parker's best asset & the fact that the Ravens are more subsceptible to giving up chunks of yards on the edges that there would've been more calls for outside runs. But this is Arians we're talking about. Common sense just doesn't apply with this guy.

The purpose of the 2nd half when you are winning is to wind the clock down. Remember the old Cowher Death Grips. The Steelers are 111 and 2. Since Bill Cowher became coach with a 14 point lead.

Don't think you're schooling me on anything. I'm well aware of that most lofty stat & I'm a believer of that school of thought. My response above covers this statement too but to expand on this further, you said you were sitting on the 45 yard line. Weren't you able to see how open the receivers were throughout the whole freaking game? Because I sure as shit was able to on tv. The Ravens secondary was wanting to be exploited. It was exploited in the first half and you know what, they didn't get any better in the second half. There were so many chances for the Steelers offense to take command but instead we had to have our stellar defense come to the rescue again (when they shouldn't have had to this time) & win despite Arians' horrible second half play-calling.

St33lersguy
01-21-2009, 06:34 PM
I guess our offensive line being IN SHAMBLES had nothing to do with that right? ::coffee:

Pea brains could have used plays such as the screen, the bootleg. What makes it pea brains fault is he didn't adjust. Pea brains kept having Ben take a 5 step drop back topass with 2 eagles in his face. Pea Brains should have come prepared for the Jim Johnson blitz scheme. Yes the OL could have been better but Pea Brians had no answer. He just kept to his stupidass game plan. Pea Brains = dips***

jev7452
01-21-2009, 06:35 PM
alright cheppy then you go up and have a heart to heart with the GM and see what they say.. heck maybe theyll make you the new OC since you obviously have all the answers

Cheppy
01-21-2009, 06:41 PM

That doesn't apply to me at all. But I don't know how any objective person can sit here & say Arians didn't call a terrible 2nd half.

HometownGal
01-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Jesus Christ - hasn't this topic been beaten into the freakin' ground around here?????

We are going to the Super Bowl and this is the best you people can do??? :rolleyes:

THREAD CLOSED and if another is started before SB Sunday, it will be closed as well. Find another dead horse to beat.