PDA

View Full Version : Troy Polamalu is Orthodox....interview

Steelcitygal87
01-21-2009, 12:34 PM
http://orthodoxmom.blogspot.com/2009/01/troy-polamalu-is-orthodox.html

Sunday, January 18, 2009
Troy Polamalu is Orthodox!

The following interview took place between Jason Cole, an NFL sports writer for Yahoo! Sports and Troy Polamalu of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Being raised right outside of Cleveland, I was born into a long legacy of die hard Browns fans. So needless to say rooting for the Pittsburgh Steelers is....well treason in my family. However, I have to admit that I did say a little prayer (tonight) for Troy and the Steelers after reading this interview. Hey, us Orthodox have to stick together. :) One of our cousins met Troy at St. Anthony's monastery in Arizona and said he was very humble and didn't want anyone to know who he was while he was there. Some of you may have also noticed his lips moving (to the words of the Jesus Prayer) and crossing himself and his fellow teammates.

I think you'll enjoy this interview:

Cole: Do you have a routine you follow on your day off?

Polamalu: We work out together because that's our only day off together. It's a pretty decent workout. She does a lot of running and I do a lot of stretching. Tuesday is also our only opportunity to go to church together, so we do that.

Cole: When and where do you go?

Polamalu: It starts at 8:30 (a.m.). It's the Nativity of the Theotokos monastery (in Saxonburg, Pa.).

Cole: I know you're devoutly Christian (Polamalu has a carefully arranged series of religious items in his locker at Heinz Field), but exactly which denomination?

Polamalu: Greek Orthodox. Theotokos literally means the Mother of God.

Cole: How long are you in services?

Polamalu: They usually go to about 12:30.

Cole: That's a four-hour service. Is that a normal service?

Polamalu: Pretty much, especially at a monastery.

Cole: Can you describe it?

Polamalu: What's really neat about the Orthodox church is that it's like walking back in time 2,000 years to the time of the Apostles, when they created these services. You walk into that and it's really like living it. They have maintained the truth ever since the beginning.

Cole: You're Polynesian. How did you end up at a Greek Orthodox church?

Polamalu: There are different ethnicities, like Russian Orthodox. My wife is Greek. I was a non-denomination Christian before we got married. So we sit around there and meet with our spiritual mother and then we go home, maybe take a nap, work out and then go home and have dinner.

Cole: Who's making dinner?

Polamalu: My wife; I cannot cook at all. I've tried. I'm terrible. When I cook, it's something nobody else would enjoy.

Cole: You only cook specialty things for yourself?

Polamalu: No, it's not that nobody else will make it for me, it's that I'm the only one who is going to enjoy it. I'll look at the other people and say, "Did you like it?" They say, "Noooooooo."

Cole: Do you have any other hobbies or things you do away from the field? Maybe bowling?

Polamalu: No, not really. The single guys go bowl. The guys who are married go home, mostly. I really focus on spending time with my wife.

Cole: How hard is it to get time at home during the season? I know guys like (Miami Dolphins linebacker) Zach Thomas stay at the facility until very late studying film and (Indianapolis Colts quarterback) Peyton Manning is watching film at home.

Polamalu: First of all, I'm a Christian so my prayer life really comes first. Second of all, I'm a husband so my wife comes before anything else. If I have time to do anything else after that, I do it, but I don't sacrifice any time with her.

Cole: A lot of guys do it the other way around. Football comes first. They say family and faith come first, but they really do the football first. How do you reconcile it?

Polamalu: It's really easy for me. I love my faith and I know that's first. . I really think I know what's important in my life and that's my faith and my wife.

Cole: So football is a really focused activity. There's no wasted time, right?

Polamalu: Actually, it's a lot of fun and it's something I enjoy. It's not like when I'm here it's business time and then there's family time. Football is, for me, it's something I do. It's like for you, you're a reporter. It's what you do, not who you are. Football does not define me. How I am with my faith and how I treat my wife is what truly defines you as a man. That is my goal in life to live that way and believe in it. It would be cowardly of me to say that I enjoy my time with my faith and my wife if I really didn't spend that time with them.

Cole: How long have you been married?

Polamalu: Two years now.

Cole: Kids?

Polamalu: God willing, someday. But three dogs counts for one kid, I think.

Cole: Um, no.

Polamalu: Three English bulldogs count for one kid.

Cole: No.

Polamalu:No?

Cole: I have two kids. No.

Polamalu: Come on, it has to count for one kid.

Cole: I respect and admire your beliefs and your stands on many things, but I'm not buying the three dogs-to-one kid ratio.

Polamalu: OK, you win this one.

Cole: Wait till you have a child waking up at 3 a.m., hungry and then he's got colic and he's screaming and you have no idea why.

Polamalu: (laughing) Yeah, it's probably like, "Talk to me, tell me what's wrong. Oh, that's right, you can't talk to me." Yeah, with the dogs it's if they pee in the house you say, "Go to the kennel."

Go Steelers!! :tt03::tt03:

oldschool
01-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Great post, thanks. and GO STEELERS!!

klick81
01-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Wow...makes me feel silly for wanting to get that Steelers tattoo now. "Football does not define me".

tattooboyzgirl
01-21-2009, 01:31 PM
I thought troy's wife just had a baby? in that interview he only mentions the dogs? :screwy:

DACEB
01-21-2009, 01:31 PM
This guy is truly enigmatic, but you've got to love his perspective.

I'm really hoping we win and he gets MVP.

klick81
01-21-2009, 01:47 PM
I thought troy's wife just had a baby? in that interview he only mentions the dogs? :screwy:

That's true. Must be an old article.

Dizzle43
01-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Could be a bogus interview. :noidea:

SteelCityMom
01-21-2009, 03:09 PM
That's crazy that they go to that church in Saxonburg....I grew up and lived in Saxonburg until I was 22, and lived about 10 minutes from that church. I wonder where they live that they would be going there? It would be quite a haul for them to be living in Pittsburgh to travel up there church services (as there are a number of Greek Orthodox churches here in the city). Must do further investigation on this!

SteelCityMom
01-21-2009, 03:12 PM

It's possible I suppose that this could be an older interview that is just being posted recently.

Steelcitygal87
01-21-2009, 03:20 PM
It's possible I suppose that this could be an older interview that is just being posted recently.

That's what it is an interview done a while ago but just posted recently (Jan. 18th). The title of the link is Orthodoxmom..it is an interview she came across and included in her blog. I just thought people might like to read what Troy had to say about his faith etc...

Go Steelers! :tt03:

SteelCurtain7
01-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Awesome interview. I'll have to show it to an Orthodox guy I know from another website. :cool:

Steelcitygal87
01-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I thought it was a great interview too. I like hearing athletes talking about more than football. Gives you a better insight into who they really are as people. What is important to them, their likes, dislikes..etc. Troy is such a humble, appreciative person. To possess as much talent as he does, and to not have the ego of a T.O..is truly a credit to his character and his willingness to put the team first. Band of brothers...as Ben said!

GO STEELERS!! :tt03::tt03:

Pentheon
01-21-2009, 05:17 PM
he seems like a nice cool guy that would do anything for anyone..

Petesburgh66
01-21-2009, 07:56 PM
I did some research. The interview was done in Sept. 2007.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-tuesdayconversation092507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Wow, I didn't know Troy is Greek Orthodox. And I am of Greek decent and hence Greek Orthodox. Very cool to know. It's not like I need another reason why to cheer for #43. :tt02:

realdeal
01-21-2009, 08:34 PM
I wonder if Troy also believes in the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause. :laughing:

Godfather
01-21-2009, 09:15 PM
I wonder if Troy also believes in the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause. :laughing:

Dunno about the Easter Bunny, but Santa Claus is real. He just isn't a fat man in a red suit.

Godfather
01-21-2009, 09:17 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-tuesdayconversation092507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Wow, I didn't know Troy is Greek Orthodox. And I am of Greek decent and hence Greek Orthodox. Very cool to know. It's not like I need another reason why to cheer for #43. :tt02:

I know a guy in Baton Rouge who's a Steelers fan and Greek Orthodox. First time I saw an article about Troy's faith, I posted a trivia question on an LSU board he frequents: Which Steeler star is Greek Orthodox? He looked at the roster for Greek names and couldn't find one so I gave him the answer. He definitely thought that was cool. But he added that Matt Stover can get bent, so I assume Stover is also Greek Orthodox.

Preacher
01-21-2009, 10:34 PM

You didn't?

Yep, it has been out there for a while.

The thing I really like about Troy, is that his faith seems to be genuine and not cultural.

EDIT: oops... I read what I wrote again after your quote, and it sounds like I am being REAL ugly towards you. . . I wasn't referring to you at all. Many "christians" only go to church and follow the "general" teachings of the bible because that is a cultural heritage, especially those in the south. Being a Southern Baptist pastor, I see it ALL the time. I am just VERY impressed with Troy.

That's all... Hope you know what I meant!!

Godfather
01-22-2009, 12:03 AM
The thing I really like about Troy, is that his faith seems to be genuine and not cultural.

Yep...he's Orthodox for his wife but that's just the reason he chose a particular denomination. He was always a man of faith. His wife is the sister of a teammate from USC who had a standing rule that she was off-limits to football players, but he trusted Troy enough to make an exception.

TheSteelCurtain
01-22-2009, 12:22 AM
In January, 2007, he petitioned to change his legal name to his mother's maiden name (Polamalu), which he had been using for the last 15 years. His legal name had been Troy Aumua.

Polamalu's off-field interests include growing flowers, making furniture, and playing the piano.

I never knew that about his name, i just got that off wikipedia.

Petesburgh66
01-22-2009, 01:07 AM
You didn't?

Yep, it has been out there for a while.

EDIT: oops... I read what I wrote again after your quote, and it sounds like I am being REAL ugly towards you. . . I wasn't referring to you at all. Many "christians" only go to church and follow the "general" teachings of the bible because that is a cultural heritage, especially those in the south. Being a Southern Baptist pastor, I see it ALL the time. I am just VERY impressed with Troy.

That's all... Hope you know what I meant!!

Nothing ugly about your response. I don't hear much about the outside lives of the Steeler players or any other NFL player as I live in Canada. It's pretty much hockey. hockey, hockey up here. Plus, I don't bother to research their personal lives as that is their business, not mine.

Although it's very obvious that Troy is very religious based on his prayers on the field, but I would have never of guessed Greek Orthodox. If Troy's last name was Polamalopoulos, then maybe lol.

I am also impressed with Troy that he became Greek Orthodox for his wife. It can't be easy listening to a service that will be spoken in Greek. I should know.

Preacher
01-22-2009, 01:45 AM
Nothing ugly about your response. I don't hear much about the outside lives of the Steeler players or any other NFL player as I live in Canada. It's pretty much hockey. hockey, hockey up here. Plus, I don't bother to research their personal lives as that is their business, not mine.

Although it's very obvious that Troy is very religious based on his prayers on the field, but I would have never of guessed Greek Orthodox. If Troy's last name was Polamalopoulos, then maybe lol.

I am also impressed with Troy that he became Greek Orthodox for his wife. It can't be easy listening to a service that will be spoken in Greek. I should know.

Idou hmeij erxomeqa ton Steeleron

(well, not exactly, but it'll do.

SteelersinCA
01-22-2009, 02:20 AM
Idou hmeij erxomeqa ton Steeleron

(well, not exactly, but it'll do.

I prefer Latin to Greek, but whatever.

Preacher
01-22-2009, 02:27 AM
I prefer Latin to Greek, but whatever.

Yeah, I left out all the accents, probably duplicated where I didn't need to, etc. But hey, I don't have any Greek professors testing this. . .

Latin-- I may take it in a year or so as my other research langauge. I don't know yet.

redst3
01-22-2009, 03:19 AM
Awesome post, and I am not a religious person. Thanks for the find

Galax Steeler
01-22-2009, 03:34 AM
Good interview 4hours in a service I would go stir crazy no offense preach.:wink02:

Steelcitygal87
01-22-2009, 04:26 AM
Awesome post, and I am not a religious person. Thanks for the find

You're very welcome. I am glad you enjoyed reading it.

Steelcitygal87
01-22-2009, 04:40 AM
Lol. Nobody thought the comparison to dogs and kids was funny? :flap:

I did lol. Troy has a good sense of humor, which is another reason why I love him :tt03:

I was watching Rome is Burning a few months ago and, at the end of the show, he had Woodley on as his correspondent. Woodley was showing Jim around the Steelers facility..locker rooms...weight rooms..etc..and was telling stories about a few of the Steelers....Ex: rippin on Holmes hairdo lol, and mentioning that one of the Steelers has INCREDIBLY STINKY feet LOL..can't remember who though..it was one of the offensive linemen(I think)... he was rather..."offensive" in that regard. Anyways, Woodley goes over to Troy and said he is actually a practical joker in the locker room lol....that he has a great sense of humor. Now seeing as how Troy's demeanor is so calm, and soft spoken you really wouldn't expect to hear he likes to play practical jokes on people lol.

Go Steelers! :tt03::tt02:

hindes204
01-22-2009, 05:15 AM
that guy is awesome