PDA

View Full Version : Question about interviews...

Steelcitygal87
01-22-2009, 06:55 AM
Hey everyone. I was just wondering about something... I don't understand why teams are allowed to contact coaches of playoff teams while the playoffs are still going on?? An example just recently would be Rex Ryan taking the Jets job. The RATS had not even played the AFC Championship game yet, and yet Rex was interviewed and got the job. I would think that would be not only distracting for him, but for the players as well. He is busy preparing for the upcoming playoff game, so I think he should have been off limits until after their playoff run was over. It just doesn't seem ...right.

xfl2001fan
01-22-2009, 08:56 AM
I always thought that was the case...so either something changed in the rules...or the owners/coaches just have less personal accountability (most likely the latter).

devilsdancefloor
01-22-2009, 09:25 AM
I believe if a team is still in the playoffs the team they currently coach has to give the nod ok before they new team can interview them.

HughC
01-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Teams do have to obtain permission to talk to coaches such as Ryan. Typically an interview will take place during the first week of the playoffs for a member of a team that has a bye, or the day after a game; this was the case with Ryan, who met the day after they beat Tennessee.

The problem with not allowing these assistants to interview is that members of the teams making it to the Super Bowl were being shut out of opportunities to advance their careers. Teams were hiring other candidates who had finished their season, not willing to roll the dice that a person on a SB team that they hadn't even interviewed yet was not only the right guy, but they would also be able to sign him.

In my opinion a better way of handling this would be for the NFL to say no hiring of coaches until after the Super Bowl, but I doubt that will ever happen. Even if that rule were put in to effect, teams would still interview and make deals; it would just be hidden from the public. Look at free agency and the number of players who sign new contracts on the first day of free agency - even though they supposedly cannot be contacted prior to that day.

Steelcitygal87
01-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Teams do have to obtain permission to talk to coaches such as Ryan. Typically an interview will take place during the first week of the playoffs for a member of a team that has a bye, or the day after a game; this was the case with Ryan, who met the day after they beat Tennessee.

The problem with not allowing these assistants to interview is that members of the teams making it to the Super Bowl were being shut out of opportunities to advance their careers. Teams were hiring other candidates who had finished their season, not willing to roll the dice that a person on a SB team that they hadn't even interviewed yet was not only the right guy, but they would also be able to sign him.

In my opinion a better way of handling this would be for the NFL to say no hiring of coaches until after the Super Bowl, but I doubt that will ever happen. Even if that rule were put in to effect, teams would still interview and make deals; it would just be hidden from the public. Look at free agency and the number of players who sign new contracts on the first day of free agency - even though they supposedly cannot be contacted prior to that day.

Thank you for your reply. Your last paragraph..I agree with you completely. That is how I think it should be handled as well. I never understood what the big rush was , that these teams who are in need of a coach, couldn't wait until AFTER the super bowl. To me that is still plenty of time to get your coaching staff in place and start preparing for the draft.