PDA

View Full Version : don't overlook the cardinals

gosteeler
01-22-2009, 06:32 AM
I told some of my buddies before the playoffs started that the cardinals would be the toughest team for anybody to beat in the playoff's

if we can't pressure warner it might be a long night!!!!

parker will have to have a monster game also, keep the card's offensive off the field with a lot of successful runs

Stevo
01-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Could be an easy win for Pittsburgh. Afterall, they are the worst team (9-7) to make the SB since the Steelers beat the Rams.

BUT... football is all about how teams match-up.

- Kurt Warner is the best at beating the one thing the Steelers do best: blitz.

- And he has the best recievers in the game.

- And he has the Steelers Super Bowl winning offensive coach.

- And they now are playing solid football, they are not a fluke (i.e. titans)

I think this will be a great game to watch but the Cardinals match up well with the Steelers.

Steelers Since '75
01-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Don't forget that LeBeau didn't use that many blitzes against Flacco... instead he dropped a lot of guys into coverage and just rushed 4 and occasionally 5... the pressure was still outstanding with a 4-5 man rush. If our front 3 can continue to get a good push and we disguise the 4th or 5th guy blitzing then it is going to be a lot harder for Warner to find an open guy.

For some reason a lot of people are discounting Ike as a strong cover guy and I just don't get that... how many top receivers does he have to shut down before he gets some recognition... yes his hands are stone but his coverage skills are top notch. I'm not suggesting we leave Ike on an island with Fitz... we will need to use double coverage all day... Ike underneath and Clark over the top?... then McFadden on Boldin with a LB helping out... and Gay on Breaston??? Polamalu and Timmons watching out for TE's and screens out of the backfield. I feel we will need to run a nickel all day to cover their receivers... cover-2 anyone?

Bigben87
01-22-2009, 08:21 AM
I remember watching the Dallas game earlier this season and worrying that Pittsburgh would be unable to cover T.O...and we all saw how that game went...(seeing T.O yelling at the sideline was the highlight of my weekend)...granted, Fitzgerald is a better reciever than T.O and Warner has a ton more poise under pressure than Romo...however, I expect our D to adjust accordingly. Hopefully, LeBeau will draw up some nice coverage schemes that'll limit the number of big plays. Combine that with our already solid run D...and the god like play of Polamalu, and Pitt should have its 6th ring.

stlrtruck
01-22-2009, 08:22 AM
I think at this stage in the season it is very difficult to overlook the cardinals. Yes, they didn't have the best regular season but they are undefeated in the post-season.

Whiz has the benefit, as do all coaches, of having great leaders on the field to put things in perspective for the younger players. Some of those players are playing above their heads, just like some Steelers did on their run to the Super Bowl 3 years ago.

Really it's going to come down to who can force their will on the other team and executing to near perfection.

drizze99
01-22-2009, 08:51 AM
I do not think for 1 minute that the Steelers will overlook the Cards. They would be foolish if they did. If we play to our potential in ALL 3 phases of the game, then we should win the game. We have to be sound in our special teams coverage, not have any turnovers and control the clock with our offense.

I have watched tape on games that the Cards played against better defenses. They lost a majority of them. Warner will still get his yards and usually one of the 3 receivers will end up with over 100 yards. Their special teams coverage seems a bit on the weaker side. Their D is not that spectacular at all. It has been playing better lately but its definitely not lights out. If Ben has time (which he should) he'll be able to pick them apart. Our running game should do fine but not spectacular. Willie should be close to 100 yds. Rogers-Cromartie is their best cover corner and Wilson is the X factor. I still son't think they have enough talent back their to cover Miller, Ward, Holmes & Washington. As long as Ben is spinning the ball and on target (which he has been so far in the post season), we should do just fine.

Fire Haley
01-22-2009, 09:08 AM
It's not about beating the Cardinals, it's about beating Warner - to a pulp.

There's no secret about the fact he is a statue and hates pressure even worse than Peyton. Let him make the short throws, and beat him to a pulp.

Hit him every single play - keep hitting him - and beat him to a pulp.

His receivers are worthless if he's on his back.

revefsreleets
01-22-2009, 12:32 PM
The Arizona defense is super average, and nothing to fear at all. We'll score on them several times.

This game is ALL about Pittsburgh's defense, and I'd like to point out that, although stats don't tell all, they are, nonetheless, telling. We have the best defense statistically speaking in two decades. Arizona has a really good offense, but this is a GREAT defense. One of the best of all time. They make the difference and we win by at least 14 points, quite possibly more...

OX1947
01-22-2009, 12:53 PM
This is Big Ben and Willie Parker's Super Bowl. Our defense will not need to blitz to get to warner, therefore, will be able to play cautiously. My hope is that the Steelers do what they did to San Diego and run the ball, they still tried to run against Baltimore which kept things honest, but I believe if Willie is running for 5 and 6 yards like he did against the Chargers, it will be a long evening for Arizona. because Ben will be able to play off that and make those key passes to Ward and Miller.

CPanther95
01-22-2009, 12:56 PM
We can take them lightly, trash talk, and be overconfident in our team. As long as Dick LeBeau doesn't take them lightly, and he won't, we're good to go.

I see a Steeler Blowout. :applaudit:

82CardsGrad
01-22-2009, 01:08 PM
It's not about beating the Cardinals, it's about beating Warner - to a pulp.

There's no secret about the fact he is a statue and hates pressure even worse than Peyton. Let him make the short throws, and beat him to a pulp.

Hit him every single play - keep hitting him - and beat him to a pulp.

His receivers are worthless if he's on his back.

Good point here and I agree that keeping Kurt upright is THE key... As for him being a statue, here are sack totals for 2008:

Ben: sacked 46 times
Kurt: sacked 26 times

Kurt has only been sacked once in the post season...

Should be interesting...

:thumbsup:

westcoastransplant
01-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Tomlin will have them ready to play. I'm confident that every Steelers player knows how dangerous the Cardinals can be. As for us overlooking the Cardinals, who cares if we do. We're not playing the game. I have supremem confidence that the Steelers can go into Tampa and whip a little Cardinal butt. Doesn't mean I don't respect them, I just think our team is better. :tt02:

drizze99
01-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Kurt has a quick release and there is no denying it BUT he has not faced zone blitz style that the Steelers play. He will see a lot of Black & Gold in coverage and will have to throw in tight windows all day long. He also hasn't faced pass rushers like Harrison/Woodley either. Usually team only have one really good pass rusher but we are blessed to have one on each side....

Fire Haley
01-22-2009, 01:37 PM

The Cards played the softest schedule in history - you can't even compare the regular season - and the Cards lost to all the good teams, and were horrible on the road.

I say they got lucky in the playoffs.

Their luck just ran out.

82CardsGrad
01-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Kurt has a quick release and there is no denying it BUT he has not faced zone blitz style that the Steelers play. He will see a lot of Black & Gold in coverage and will have to throw in tight windows all day long. He also hasn't faced pass rushers like Harrison/Woodley either. Usually team only have one really good pass rusher but we are blessed to have one on each side....

Very true about having TWO premier pass rushers... This will be a HUGE challenge for the Cards...
Will we keep a back in the backfield to help protect? Throw in a TE perhaps - which we don't like doing??

The Cards have mastered the art of picking up the blitz in a pre-snap read. Kurt and the wideouts are totally in sync and have demonstrated this entire post season how great they are at exploiting the defense when they decide to bring 5, 6 or more rushers...
Jimmy Johnson was being touted as the greatest def. coordinator in the game, and for 3 quarters, we made him look like an amateur...

I have HUGE respect for your defense and Lebeau... This is the supreme test for the Cards...

82CardsGrad
01-22-2009, 01:41 PM
The Cards played the softest schedule in history - you can't even compare the regular season - and the Cards lost to all the good teams, and were horrible on the road.

I say they got lucky in the playoffs.

Their luck just ran out.

Lucky in the playoffs?? Three times??? Were the Panthers and Eagles not good teams??

:banging:

Fire Haley
01-22-2009, 01:46 PM
I'd rather play the Cards than either of those teams - so yeah, I guess you could WE got lucky too.

82CardsGrad
01-22-2009, 01:49 PM
I'd rather play the Cards than either of those teams - so yeah, I guess you could WE got lucky too.

LMAO... good one...

Question for ya: should by some miracle the Cards go on to defeat the Steelers, where would that rank in terms of alltime Super Bowl upsets?

:jawdrop:

fansince'76
01-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Jimmy Johnson was being touted as the greatest def. coordinator in the game, and for 3 quarters, we made him look like an amateur....

By whom, exactly? That title belongs to LeBeau, and it's not really all that close. Sorry, but statements like these are why I personally can't take you seriously.

CPanther95
01-22-2009, 01:56 PM
LMAO... good one...

Question for ya: should by some miracle the Cards go on to defeat the Steelers, where would that rank in terms of alltime Super Bowl upsets?

:jawdrop:

#1 by a long shot - much bigger than Namath.

Bigger than Buster Douglas and the 1980 US Hockey Team.

It would be the biggest upset of all time, in any sporting event, political contest, or any other type of competition - in the history of man on Earth.

drizze99
01-22-2009, 01:57 PM
You can't even talk about the Panthers win... I mean Del-Homey was a turnover machine! 6 turnovers by himself! NO team can win when they do that.

I really don't think you will be able to run 11 personnel on us all day long. I am thinking you'll have to either go 12 personnel or 21 personnel.

82CardsGrad
01-22-2009, 01:57 PM
By whom, exactly? That title belongs to LeBeau, and it's not really all that close. Sorry, but statements like these are why I personally can't take you seriously.

There were many "experts" who claimed JJ was the best. Of course Steeler fans would not agree and frankly, I don't agree either.
He's very, very good. You don't do what he's done for as long as he's done it, by luck...
Same for Lebeau... and yes, Lebeau has done it better!

CPanther95
01-22-2009, 02:01 PM
You can't even talk about the Panthers win... I mean Del-Homey was a turnover machine! 6 turnovers by himself! NO team can win when they do that.

Except the Steelers.

1975 AFC Championship: Steelers won with 8 turnovers (Oakland had 5)

82CardsGrad
01-22-2009, 02:02 PM

I really don't think you will be able to run 11 personnel on us all day long. I am thinking you'll have to either go 12 personnel or 21 personnel.

Some believe (none here perhaps), that the Cards helped Del-Homey commit those 6 turnovers...:wink02:

draejr
01-22-2009, 02:11 PM
I still can't understand why the Panthers abandoned the run in that game. While Delhome was terrible or the Cardinal D was that good, I think the play calling was horrendous for the Panthers.

As far as upsets go, I don't believe that a Cardinal win over the Steelers would be all that shocking - it's just so shocking that they made it this far. In my opinion the Steelers are not a dominating team and allow teams to stay in the game.

It would not shock me if they beat the Steelers (I'd be pissed). I think when you just talk about the Cardinals being so bad for so long, it's hard to imagine them being in the SuperBowl and actually winning it.

However if they can beat the #1 D, then they deserve it.

fansince'76
01-22-2009, 02:12 PM
There were many "experts" who claimed JJ was the best. Of course Steeler fans would not agree and frankly, I don't agree either.
He's very, very good. You don't do what he's done for as long as he's done it, by luck...
Same for Lebeau... and yes, Lebeau has done it better!

Please, cite some of these "experts." I can show cold, hard empirical data to back my claim up.

CPanther95
01-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Give LeBeau a Herschel Walker-esque trade worth of draft picks and in 10 years the Top 5 defenses in the league will be anchored by multiple ex-Steelers.

... and the Steeler Rule will be instituted that allows offenses 5 downs to get a first down on any drive following five "3&out" drives.

Stlrs4Life
01-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Could be an easy win for Pittsburgh. Afterall, they are the worst team (9-7) to make the SB since the Steelers beat the Rams.

BUT... football is all about how teams match-up.

- Kurt Warner is the best at beating the one thing the Steelers do best: blitz.

- And he has the best recievers in the game.

- And he has the Steelers Super Bowl winning offensive coach.

- And they now are playing solid football, they are not a fluke (i.e. titans)

I think this will be a great game to watch but the Cardinals match up well with the Steelers.

What was wrong with the Steelers team that beat the Rams? If you matched up them Steelers to todays, I think they win.

GodofGridiron
01-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Cardinal fans would have you believe that there isnt much of a difference between Philly's defense and the Steelers defense. Theres big differences in the way they attack. Philly will often show base coverage then walk two men up and show blitz presnap. This still plays into Warners favor cuz hes got options and a hot route receiver he can sling it to so he can negate the blitz. In the Philly game the Eagles walked a safety and a LB up to the line and showed blitz, Warner simple got a read presnap and decided that if they came he'd target the direction of the blitz which would leave either the RB or TE wide open for big yardage.

Where Pitt is different lies in its cover skills of most of its LB's and the DB's and safeties. Pitt will show u blitz and walk a man or two up to the line. After that, this is where the similarities end between JJ and LeBeau. Warner might think "okay Troy might come as well as Woodley and James.....so ill go thru my check and see where they come from and hit the backside of the blitz to make em pay". Once the ball is hiked this is where the chaos that so many OC's and QB's refer to. Troy will indeed come, but others (not sure whom) will drop off in coverage including a lineman. Those reads and lanes that were anticipated no longer exist and the speed of those coming can still apply enough pressure to get the sack or at least for a bad throw. There simply isnt much to choose from as far as targets go. Pitts linebackers do a marvelous job in coverage and they all have good footspeed with great instincts and field smarts. Those subjects that do rush use their angles effectively to try and flush the QB out of the comfort zone and get them moving. It truly is chaotic to a QB because the reads u though were clear really arent. You can take a gamble and throw it if you want..........but u might pay. If you swallow the ball u still might pay with a sack. Whats a QB to do. This is exactly what Peyton experience in 05 during the playoffs.

These two defenses (Philly and Steelers) are not that similar.

revefsreleets
01-23-2009, 09:07 AM
My favorite part of watching the Cards fans talk smack is the use of their "facts".

I have learned that:

Kurt Warner is the best in the league at picking up sacks. Why? Because Cards fans say so.

Jimmy Johnson was the best DC in the league. Why? Because Cards fans said so.

The Steelers only have a "slight edge". Why? Because the Cards fans say so.

It's a chicken or egg scenario. Were they the least knowledgable fans all along, and we are just now noticing it, or are they just postulating all this utter nonsense now that they have a forum in which to do so?

jev7452
01-23-2009, 09:27 AM
i cant believe know one has brought up the point of how arizona played against tough defenses in the regular season.. the top ten defensive teams they played were the giants, redskins, eagles, pats, vikings, cowboys and eagles.. granted they beat phili last week but other than that, the only team they beat was dallas and i believe that was during the time frame that romo was out and they were performing terribly. not that any of this matters but the cardinals have not faced anything like the steelers D.. reminds me of when we took on the chargers and everyone was talking about how they were the highest scoring offense against the toughest D and look how that turned out.. fingers crossed that the trend keeps up

82CardsGrad
01-23-2009, 09:55 AM
i cant believe know one has brought up the point of how arizona played against tough defenses in the regular season.. the top ten defensive teams they played were the giants, redskins, eagles, pats, vikings, cowboys and eagles.. granted they beat phili last week but other than that, the only team they beat was dallas and i believe that was during the time frame that romo was out and they were performing terribly. not that any of this matters but the cardinals have not faced anything like the steelers D.. reminds me of when we took on the chargers and everyone was talking about how they were the highest scoring offense against the toughest D and look how that turned out.. fingers crossed that the trend keeps up

For the record, when we played the Cowgirls in week 6, both teams were 4 & 2 at the time, and Romo was most certainly playing and healthy... well, until we broke his finger on the last play of the game!!!

We also beat the Dolphins who were a top 15 defense....

TheSteelCurtain
01-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Top 15 is just better than half.
So in other words you beat a mediocre defense at best.

82CardsGrad
01-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Top 15 is just better than half.
So in other words you beat a mediocre defense at best.

Yup!!

HometownGal
01-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Yup!!

Sorry to burst your bubble, 82, but the Steelers aren't a mediocre D. Ya gotta come up with something better here.

82CardsGrad
01-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble, 82, but the Steelers aren't a mediocre D. Ya gotta come up with something better here.

Why? I'm not attempting to suggest that the Cards have yet to play a defense as good as yours... we haven't... I think the Eagles' defense is close, but still not at your level.

I've already said, time and again, that this will be BY FAR the biggest challenge the Cards have faced this year. Heck, the biggest in the history of the franchise!

I only brought up the Fins because someone had mentioned the "Top 10" defenses we played this year... In my opinion, the difference between a Top 10 and Top 15 defense can be quite insignificant... For example, the difference between the Pats @ #10 and the Fins @ 15 is 19 yards per game...

Rotorhead
01-23-2009, 10:43 AM
What gets me is how much ppl (media) are hyping how potent and amazing the offense of the Cards is. Nevermind our Def which is performing at historic levels (3rd Qrtr of SD game anyone?) Maybe when Warner was piloting the "Greatest Show On Turf" he could have had a chance . . . but alas he is no longer doing that. There will be no running game, so it comes to Warner and Fitz . . . sorry, but Fitz will need an epic 300+ yrd game to beat this Def and that won't happen.

PGH_Futbol
01-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Good point here and I agree that keeping Kurt upright is THE key... As for him being a statue, here are sack totals for 2008:

Kurt has only been sacked once in the post season...

Should be interesting...

:flap:

Steelers - 22 Sacks last 7 reg. season games
Cards - 15 Sacks last 7 reg. season games

Based on those numbers -
The Cards gave up an additional sack more every game in the final 7, whereas the Steelers only gave up 1/2 a sack more.

with that many sacks, the cards are going to need bigger pants.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2009, 11:19 AM
I agree with Revefs, that its gonna be about the Steeler Defense being able to contain the Cardinal offense.

I dont think anybody is gonna overlook any NFC Champion. Respect everyone, fear nobody!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2009, 11:21 AM
We also beat the Dolphins who were a top 15 defense.... So considering there are 32 teams in the NFL you would have to categorize their defense as .......average.

fansince'76
01-23-2009, 11:22 AM
What gets me is how much ppl (media) are hyping how potent and amazing the offense of the Cards is. Nevermind our Def which is performing at historic levels (3rd Qrtr of SD game anyone?)

Potent offenses are "sexier" than great defenses. Checkers sells better than Chess too.

revefsreleets
01-23-2009, 11:51 AM
(Using "Cards logic")

"The Stelers will win because they have now beaten 14 teams with top 32 defenses".

:toofunny:

fansince'76
01-23-2009, 12:04 PM
(Using "Cards logic")

"The Stelers will win because they have now beaten 14 teams with top 32 defenses".

:toofunny:

Don't forget, the Cards made the "best DC in the game" (Jimmy Johnson) look like a rank amateur, so LeBeau has no chance. :rolleyes: :coffee:

revefsreleets
01-23-2009, 12:07 PM
And Warner is the best in the league at picking up blitzes.

I want to try this!

The Steelers defense versus a hurricane. Who wins?

Daaaaaaa Steelers defense!

http://msp42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/Slmlock/farley.jpg

fansince'76
01-23-2009, 12:09 PM

I want to try this!

Silverback vs. Godzilla and King Kong together?

Silverback! :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2009, 12:18 PM

I want to try this!

But...........what if that hurricane was named "Hurricane Franco"???? :rofl:

revefsreleets
01-23-2009, 12:23 PM
But...........what if that hurricane was named "Hurricane Franco"???? :rofl:
Daaaaaaaaaaaa Bulls, Da Bulls, Da Bulls, Da Bulls, Da Bulls, Da Bulls, Da Bulls, Da Bulls, Da Bulls, Da Bulls...

JackHammer
01-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Don't forget that LeBeau didn't use that many blitzes against Flacco... instead he dropped a lot of guys into coverage and just rushed 4 and occasionally 5... the pressure was still outstanding with a 4-5 man rush. If our front 3 can continue to get a good push and we disguise the 4th or 5th guy blitzing then it is going to be a lot harder for Warner to find an open guy.

For some reason a lot of people are discounting Ike as a strong cover guy and I just don't get that... how many top receivers does he have to shut down before he gets some recognition... yes his hands are stone but his coverage skills are top notch. I'm not suggesting we leave Ike on an island with Fitz... we will need to use double coverage all day... Ike underneath and Clark over the top?... then McFadden on Boldin with a LB helping out... and Gay on Breaston??? Polamalu and Timmons watching out for TE's and screens out of the backfield. I feel we will need to run a nickel all day to cover their receivers... cover-2 anyone?

The first part of your post is the most overlooked fact about our defense right now. I don't know why that is, but it is. How many times will people overlook the fact that we don't need to send a bunch of guys on the blitz in order to get to the QB? And yes, cover-2 will indeed be used, and even cover-3 will be a part of our scheme at times since the Cards like to attack the deep middle of the field. Also, why no love for Deshea? You didn't even mention him........

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2009, 12:41 PM
The first part of your post is the most overlooked fact about our defense right now. I don't know why that is, but it is. How many times will people overlook the fact that we don't need to send a bunch of guys on the blitz in order to get to the QB? And yes, cover-2 will indeed be used, and even cover-3 will be a part of our scheme at times since the Cards like to attack the deep middle of the field. Also, why no love for Deshea? You didn't even mention him........

Jack, I think you are right that they will send 4 a lot and disguise where they are coming from. The 5th will most likely spy on the RB coming out for swing passes or screens.

The Cards O line is a decent young group, but I expect to see Hampton run over Sendelin and collapse the pocket. He will command a double team which should leave 1on 1 matchups for 3 other defenders. I expect to see a lot of Eggerin James or a TE staying in the backfield to block. IMO, Hampton, Smith Woodley is a handfull for Sendelin, Brown, Lutui to handle.

CargoJon
01-23-2009, 12:50 PM

I want to try this!

Mini-bears 124, God 3. :tt03::tt03::tt03:

lilyoder6
01-23-2009, 01:04 PM
i highly doubt that edge will have a good game against us...

i wonder how the cards can be called under-dogs.. when they are getting most of the media att talking bout them being under-dogs

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2009, 02:05 PM
I think James is the wildcard in this game. He is fresh, healthy and can both run or catch passes well. He scares me more than Breaston.

82CardsGrad
01-23-2009, 03:41 PM
I think James is the wildcard in this game. He is fresh, healthy and can both run or catch passes well. He scares me more than Breaston.

Edge shouldn't scare you... yes, he's fresh. But all that means is that instead of busting a run for 2 yards that should have gone for 12, he'll now bust it for 4...

He's shot. Still a warrior. Still able to pick up the blitz. Still able to eliminate negative yards. But it's frustrating for us when we see runs that could go for 20, 30 yards, if not all the way to the house, go for 8...

Breaston has much more of an ability to hurt you than does Edge. Steve can take it to the house from anywhere on the field as our return man and a 1,000 yard receiver...

You can control Edge. Your defense will be too strong and too fast for Edge to deal with...
I think the only chance we have is to out-scheme and out-speed you, and Edge certainly won't have a big part in that gameplan...

Preacher
01-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Edge shouldn't scare you... yes, he's fresh. But all that means is that instead of busting a run for 2 yards that should have gone for 12, he'll now bust it for 4...

He's shot. Still a warrior. Still able to pick up the blitz. Still able to eliminate negative yards. But it's frustrating for us when we see runs that could go for 20, 30 yards, if not all the way to the house, go for 8...

Breaston has much more of an ability to hurt you than does Edge. Steve can take it to the house from anywhere on the field as our return man and a 1,000 yard receiver...

You can control Edge. Your defense will be too strong and too fast for Edge to deal with...
I think the only chance we have is to out-scheme and out-speed you, and Edge certainly won't have a big part in that gameplan...

That is a VERY Tall order against this defense.

Our linebackers RUN LIKE DEER. Scheming is what has made this defense so good until this year, when outright talent was able to take over. Now, with two weeks to plan, I think you will see a combination of scheme and speed that will make your head swim.

Yes, the Cards have some very good weapons to try and counter it, but in all actuality, they are going to have to have their best game of the year.

Dino 6 Rings
01-23-2009, 03:58 PM
I think like every other game we've been in this year, it all comes down to us Scoring points on offense. Our D will keep us in the game. Its all about getting 7 instead of 3 once we get into the redzone.

I'm calling for Moore to have a great game inside the redzone.

82CardsGrad
01-23-2009, 04:17 PM
That is a VERY Tall order against this defense.

Our linebackers RUN LIKE DEER. Scheming is what has made this defense so good until this year, when outright talent was able to take over. Now, with two weeks to plan, I think you will see a combination of scheme and speed that will make your head swim.

Yes, the Cards have some very good weapons to try and counter it, but in all actuality, they are going to have to have their best game of the year.

Oh, we know... attempting to out-scheme Lebeau is like trying to out-think Einstein... I believe if it can be done, we have the talent at both the player and coaching level to get it done...Execution? That's a whole different story...

And no doubt, the Cards will have to play their best game, not only of the year, but of their collective lives!!!!

:sweating:

GodofGridiron
01-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Jim Johnson had a very nice scheme employed...........he just employed it late. Where LeBeau has the ups on JJ's unit is the number of playmakers on his unit. Two dominant rushing linebackers........a double team commanding nose tackle.....a great ball hawking LB in Foote, a lockdown corner in Ike and then you have Tasmanian Devil....

This is why its so hard to be effective against this unit. And the key this year is everyone on D is pretty healthy.

82CardsGrad
01-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Jim Johnson had a very nice scheme employed...........he just employed it late. Where LeBeau has the ups on JJ's unit is the number of playmakers on his unit. Two dominant rushing linebackers........a double team commanding nose tackle.....a great ball hawking LB in Foote, a lockdown corner in Ike and then you have Tasmanian Devil....

This is why its so hard to be effective against this unit. And the key this year is everyone on D is pretty healthy.

JJ's scheme really never worked... We owned him in the 1st, 2nd, and 4th quarters... In the 3rd, Haley got conservative with the play-calling and the Eagles took advantage...

And no doubt, the Eagles don't have anywhere near the playmakers of the Steelers!

lilyoder6
01-23-2009, 05:00 PM
our offense needs to have a big day against this def.... the cards will be a threat 2 score evry time they have the ball.. that just makes the steelers pos much more precious

Preacher
01-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Here's the kicker for me.

We have now played two teams that can hit the "homerun ball." The Chargers were supposed to be a threat everytime they touched the ball. The Ravens with their non-rookie rookie QB were supposed to be a threat everything they touched the ball.

Now I am not taking anything away from Warner or the receivers. They are very good. However, it seems to me that we have had quite some experience in defending against this type of offense.

This year alone, our D shut down Philly, the Giants, the Patriots*, the Colts (while Manning WAS playing well), the Ravens (Second game when the rookie was supposed to be on fire and the playoffs), and the Chargers (twice counting playoffs). Sure, we lost the games against eh Colts, Philly, and the Giants. BUt that was because our offense was misfiring at the time.

So we aren't facing something new here. On top of that, we play teh BUngles twice a year. Now, while they haven't done well the last two years, we are used to gameplanning for a big pocket-passing, three-receiver team. This is nothing new at all.

GodofGridiron
01-23-2009, 05:34 PM
JJ's scheme really never worked... We owned him in the 1st, 2nd, and 4th quarters... In the 3rd, Haley got conservative with the play-calling and the Eagles took advantage...

And no doubt, the Eagles don't have anywhere near the playmakers of the Steelers!

By conservative you mean what exactly.....elaborate.

82CardsGrad
01-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Here's the kicker for me.

We have now played two teams that can hit the "homerun ball." The Chargers were supposed to be a threat everytime they touched the ball. The Ravens with their non-rookie rookie QB were supposed to be a threat everything they touched the ball.

Now I am not taking anything away from Warner or the receivers. They are very good. However, it seems to me that we have had quite some experience in defending against this type of offense.

This year alone, our D shut down Philly, the Giants, the Patriots*, the Colts (while Manning WAS playing well), the Ravens (Second game when the rookie was supposed to be on fire and the playoffs), and the Chargers (twice counting playoffs). Sure, we lost the games against eh Colts, Philly, and the Giants. BUt that was because our offense was misfiring at the time.

So we aren't facing something new here. On top of that, we play teh BUngles twice a year. Now, while they haven't done well the last two years, we are used to gameplanning for a big pocket-passing, three-receiver team. This is nothing new at all.

Good points Preacher... As you might imagine, I need to add a bit to it though...

1.) The Ravens?? Flacco?? C'mon man.. doesn't even belong in the same covnersation when discussing the Cardinal offense...

2.) Contrary to popular belief, the Cards are not built to be a "home-run" type of offense. Yes, Fitz has produced some amazing, deep catches this post season... But the bread & butter of our offense is actually a ball control offense via the pass... Because of the timing, the reads and the athleticism of our WR's, Kurt is typically tossing the ball on very quick ins and outs, and our WR's do their thing to grab additional yards. Reality is that our offense resembles a more methodical type offense than a big-play, home run offense...

3.) Even if you guys were facing something "new", I'm not sure it would matter much as your defense and Lebeau are just that good. The only thing I can say is that I don't believe you have faced anything this good... not necessarily new, but an offense that is playing as well as any offense has played in a very long time... Still might not be enough... but that's all we got...

82CardsGrad
01-23-2009, 05:53 PM
By conservative you mean what exactly.....elaborate.

Here are the playcalls during the 3rd quarter:

Arizona Cardinals at 12:02
1-10-PHI 43 (12:02) E.James up the middle to PHI 39 for 4 yards (T.Cole).
2-6-PHI 39 (11:19) (Shotgun) PENALTY on ARZ-M.Gandy, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at PHI 39 - No Play.
2-11-PHI 44 (11:01) (Shotgun) E.James up the middle to PHI 42 for 2 yards (V.Abiamiri).
3-9-PHI 42 (10:19) (Shotgun) K.Warner pass incomplete deep middle to A.Boldin [T.Cole].
4-9-PHI 42 (10:19) B.Graham punts 32 yards to PHI 10, Center-N.Hodel, fair catch by D.Jackson.

Arizona Cardinals at 4:08
1-10-ARZ 35 (4:08) K.Warner pass incomplete short right to B.Patrick [B.Bunkley].
2-10-ARZ 35 (4:04) (Shotgun) K.Warner pass incomplete short right to T.Hightower [T.Cole].
3-10-ARZ 35 (4:01) K.Warner sacked at ARZ 30 for -5 yards (V.Abiamiri).
4-15-ARZ 30 (3:54) B.Graham punts 44 yards to PHI 26, Center-N.Hodel. D.Jackson to PHI 39 for 13 yards (C.Campbell).

Arizona Cardinals at 0:49
1-10-ARZ 20 (:49) E.James left tackle to ARZ 23 for 3 yards (M.Patterson).
2-7-ARZ 23 (:11) (Shotgun) K.Warner pass short middle to K.Warner to ARZ 27 for 4 yards (T.Cole). Warner pass batted by Hansen back to Warner

Combined with our defense being seriously winded, we coughed up the 3rd quarter...
By some contrast, here is the 4th quarter drive play-calling:

Arizona Cardinals at 10:45, (1st play from scrimmage 10:39)
1-10-ARZ 28 (10:39) E.James left tackle to ARZ 27 for -1 yards (B.Bunkley).
2-11-ARZ 27 (10:00) K.Warner pass short left to L.Fitzgerald to ARZ 42 for 15 yards (J.Hanson). P17
1-10-ARZ 42 (9:24) K.Warner pass short right to L.Pope to PHI 49 for 9 yards (S.Bradley).
2-1-PHI 49 (8:47) E.James up the middle to 50 for -1 yards (C.Gocong).
3-2-50 (8:03) T.Hightower left tackle to PHI 49 for 1 yard (A.Jordan).
4-1-PHI 49 (7:57) T.Hightower right end pushed ob at PHI 43 for 6 yards (B.Dawkins). R18
1-10-PHI 43 (7:21) E.James up the middle to PHI 41 for 2 yards (M.Patterson).
2-8-PHI 41 (6:36) K.Warner pass short right to L.Fitzgerald to PHI 23 for 18 yards (A.Samuel). P19
1-10-PHI 23 (5:52) E.James right tackle to PHI 20 for 3 yards (A.Jordan, T.Laws).
2-7-PHI 20 (5:13) K.Warner pass short left to L.Fitzgerald to PHI 14 for 6 yards (A.Samuel, Q.Demps).
3-1-PHI 14 (4:26) T.Hightower right tackle to PHI 9 for 5 yards (B.Dawkins, Q.Demps). R20
1-9-PHI 9 (3:44) E.James up the middle to PHI 9 for no gain (T.Laws).
2-9-PHI 9 (3:06) T.Hightower left tackle to PHI 8 for 1 yard (D.Howard).
Timeout #2 by PHI at 02:59.
3-8-PHI 8 (2:59) (Shotgun) K.Warner pass short left to T.Hightower for 8 yards, TOUCHDOWN. P21
(Run formation) TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. K.Warner pass to B.Patrick is complete. ATTEMPT
SUCCEEDS.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2009, 06:11 PM

If the Steelers blitz, Edge can be the outlet on a swing pass or pickup a block. He can also run an effective draw from a 4 wide set.

Breaston can run vertical and that is it. If he isnt returning the football, he doesnt really concern me as much as Fitz, Boldin, Edge or Hightower. Again, I know Breaston and watched him all the time at Michigan. 4.45 speed, but a long strider that needs to get going. Nate Washington is quicker, faster and a bigger deep threat than Breaston.......we just dont throw the ball as much as the Cards.

82CardsGrad
01-23-2009, 06:59 PM
We've faced offenses better balanced than the cards, which is the long way to say better offense. You say the cardinals offense is that good, when in reality you should be saying their pass game has been that good. Im scratching my head on all of this talk of their "running game is working now."

A couple statistics in the playoffs:

vs. Atlanta's 25th ranked rush defense: Arizona produces 86 rush yards on 28 attempts for an average of 3.07 yards per carry

vs. Carolina's 20th ranked rush defense: Arizona produces 145 rush yards on 43 attempts for an average of 3.37 yards per carry

vs. Philly's 4th ranked rush defense: Arizona produces 102 rush yards on 29 attempts for an average of 3.52 yards per carry

The YPC improved by about.....uh...... 0.45 yards over the course of the wild card game to the NFC championship? I dont think they were impressive running the ball against any of those teams. Sure, Philly had a great rush defense, but they were playing pass nearly the whole game because Kurt Warner's arm was carrying the cardinals. He was 21-28 for 279 yards and 4 TD's that game. You gotta watch the pass when the opposing QB plays that way. Zona has an amazing QB and an amazing receiving corps, but a run game? I think anybody who thinks they have a legitamate one is in over their head. The best rush D of the 3 up there is Philly, and the Steelers run defense makes Philly's run defense look like nothing.

I think it was you who posted this in a seperate thread devoted to this very topic... As I said in that thread, the Cards most certainly do not have a rushing attack... What we have done is improved the run game just enough to create just enough of a threat that allows us fully open up our passing attack...A 3.5 yard per carry average is just enough...