PDA

View Full Version : Mel K. predicts

Steel Mountain
01-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Alex Mack, Center with the 32 pick for the Steelers.

Likey? No likey?
Likely?
Discuss away.

deminutah
01-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Hopefully. I posted this in the Alex Mack Thread;

Great clips of Mack on Youtube First one of him blocking and does an awesome job of highlighting his movments, second one is an interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8xCkToEnJ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRdCR...eature=channel

On a side note, I don't know who of you wrestled, but I did in HS and here is his wrestling record;

wrestled four years in high school and advanced to the state wrestling tournament as a CIF heavyweight champion ... owned a 26-1 record on the mat as a senior.

steelerdave1969
01-24-2009, 08:00 AM
From what I have saw of the offensive linemen at the Senior Bowl practices on TV and I have tried to watch them all. I think that C/G Max Unger would be a better fit for our Steelers. He can play almost every offensive line position according to Mike Mayock and Co. I think he would serve us better at this point and from what I have seen during their practices also is that DT B J Raji has just dominated Alex Mack.

MDSteel15
01-24-2009, 11:31 PM
From what I have saw of the offensive linemen at the Senior Bowl practices on TV and I have tried to watch them all. I think that C/G Max Unger would be a better fit for our Steelers. He can play almost every offensive line position according to Mike Mayock and Co. I think he would serve us better at this point and from what I have seen during their practices also is that DT B J Raji has just dominated Alex Mack.

Not true. Max Unger looks like a boy among men.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-25-2009, 11:15 AM

Raji has dominated just about everybody. Mack is the only one that has contained him. Unger is weak and even Mike Mayock has asked out loud if he can handle the big 3-4 NT's on the NFL Network.

Mayock said "Can he handle a Vince Wilfork?? or is he just a zone block type guy?? Honestly, check out the Oregon bowl game and you will see Max Unger get eaten up by a 265 LB defensive tackle. I watched the Oregon -Cal game earlier this season and Unger consistently got pushed back into the backfield.

Unger is versatile, but not what the Steelers need for a Center. Wood, Mack, Shipley and Luigs are better equipped to handle bit NT's.

drizze99
01-25-2009, 11:37 AM
I am pulling for us to draft Alex Mack. I haven't watched any Senior Bowl practice but I did listen to Moving the Chains with T-Rock and Pat Kirwan (they were there live) and they said there were very few lineman that could start Year One and Alex was one of them. Mack definitely sounds like he fits the Steelers mold.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-25-2009, 11:43 AM
I am pulling for us to draft Alex Mack. I haven't watched any Senior Bowl practice but I did listen to Moving the Chains with T-Rock and Pat Kirwan (they were there live) and they said there were very few lineman that could start Year One and Alex was one of them. Mack definitely sounds like he fits the Steelers mold.

I believe that!! He could play LG for a season then take over at center in 2010 from Hartwig.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-25-2009, 12:14 PM

Mack flat out handled Raji on a couple of occasions...was the only one who could neutralize him.

MasterOfPuppets
01-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Mack flat out handled Raji on a couple of occasions...was the only one who could neutralize him.yeah i don't know why he keeps throwing out the word dominated.....from what i've read, mack one some, and lost some....i credit it more to raji's skill than mack's weakness. ....:noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Any of you guys see any Wood-Raji matchups??

I saw Brace take a run at Mack, drive him back 2 yards and then Mack re-established his anchor and just stopped Brace in his tracks. Wasnt overly impressed with Brace, but he is a load to handle.

MasterOfPuppets
01-25-2009, 01:00 PM

I saw Brace take a run at Mack, drive him back 2 yards and then Mack re-established his anchor and just stopped Brace in his tracks. Wasnt overly impressed with Brace, but he is a load to handle.i don't have the damn nfl network, so i haven't seen the game yet, but did brace look like a guy who would command double teams?

Texasteel
01-25-2009, 01:25 PM

I saw Brace take a run at Mack, drive him back 2 yards and then Mack re-established his anchor and just stopped Brace in his tracks. Wasnt overly impressed with Brace, but he is a load to handle.

I saw Wood stop Raji twice, once at the point of attact and once keeping him from moving to the left to make the play. I also think I saw Caldwell drive Brace a yard into the endzone on the 2nd TD.

Caldwell was much better than I thought he would be.

Crushzilla
01-25-2009, 02:27 PM
I agree with a lot of you guys.

I would love Alex Mack. He's a great football player, athlete, scholar, and humanitarian. I've seen his name attached to a few charity events.

Isn't that called a sack in the NFL? :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Isn't that called a sack in the NFL? :chuckle:Actually, no.....on a 5 step drop the QB would be deeper than 2 yards. Also, in the NFL there would be 2 players on either side of the line and not a 1 on 1 matchup like in the drill.

If Brace would have got Mack going backwards (on skates) and kept him there, I would have a problem, but he regrouped and stuffed him. Both Luigs and Unger on the other hand got driven back in drills I saw.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-25-2009, 03:29 PM
i don't have the damn nfl network, so i haven't seen the game yet, but did brace look like a guy who would command double teams?

Actually, no he didnt. Brace looked like a big load of a guy that will plug the middle, but might not get much push. Lighter Centers like Mahan, Saturday couldnt handle him alone I dont think, but most of the guys in our div could.

I think Red Bryant looked more impressive at last years senior bowl than Brace did in this week of practice.

I am with Tex.....Caldwell impressed me a lot in the week of practice. He looked better than Luigs. I havent watched the entire game yet though.