PDA

View Full Version : ike is ready for fitz

devilsdancefloor
01-22-2009, 05:45 PM
http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story?id=09000d5d80e49045&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Super Bowl News
Posted about 4 hours ago17 Comments 1 Recommendation E-mail
Ike likes it: Steelers CB Taylor anticipating matchup with Fitzgerald
By Thomas George | NFL.com
Senior Columnist

Ike Taylor listens more than he talks. So, this tough-skinned, New Orleans-bred cornerback with a durable mind and muscular identity noticed when Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin called Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald the "best in the world" in downfield, one-on-one situations.

Taylor and Fitzgerald will bop next week in Super Bowl XLIII.

Taylor, like his coach, salutes Fitzgerald's game. But Taylor also recognizes the fight in his own.

Steelers CB Ike Taylor is facing a tough assignment -- covering Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald in Super Bowl XLIII -- but he's confident that it will be "a good matchup."

"Yeah, you got to understand, in a one-on-one, jump-ball situation, he (Fitzgerald) is going to get it like a rebound in basketball," Taylor said. "It's just positive what he has been doing. He's putting up numbers. The level of play is high. He's been doing it in the league a long time, but now people are taking notice on another level.

"This is definitely a good matchup. It is going to be noticed by a lot of people. It's what you want to see in a football game. Especially in a Super Bowl."

Taylor, 28 and in his sixth NFL season, has tailored his life and his game around these principles: Stand up to pressure and knock it down. Don't believe the hype, create your own.

Those are bedrocks that would serve any NFL cornerback well, particularly Taylor in his Super Bowl rumble with Fitzgerald and the Cardinals' batch of perilous receivers. Taylor said the Steelers ask him "to play ball," to be an anchor in pass coverage and engage in run support. Taylor gives them technique, heart, discipline, intelligence. He runs, covers, hustles, hits.

Those traits are embodied in the entire Pittsburgh defense, thus far the NFL's best in statistics and repute.

Taylor already has lived thrilling NFL playoff moments. His interception against the Denver Broncos in the 2005 AFC Championship Game helped propel Pittsburgh to Super Bowl XL. Once there, Taylor grabbed an interception that helped the Steelers earn the championship over the Seattle Seahawks.

Just three years after being a fourth-round draft pick out of Louisiana-Lafayette, Taylor had a ring. Soon afterward, he signed a four-year, $23 million contract extension. Then he was benched.

Taylor lost his starting job for five games in 2006, which was coach Bill Cowher's final season in Pittsburgh. Cowher saw a player content and losing his edge. Steelers teammates, including linebacker James Farrior, eventually went to Cowher to request Taylor's return as a starter. Cowher listened.

"I appreciate what my teammates did for me," Taylor said. "I just kept playing. I tried to do what I had done that worked. That experience helped me to become the type of player who works more on his weaknesses than his strengths.

Re-live complete Super Bowl broadcasts again as NFL Network exclusively presents Super Bowl Classics telecast in prime time each night during the week leading into Super Bowl XLIII.

"You're talking about someone who grew up with a single parent who made ends meet, who went to high school where there wasn't air conditioning and tempers flared and people were frustrated, who coming from that environment had to work on my grades and had to sit out my first two years of college football. I was grounded, and I had family that taught me how to be hard-nosed."

Tomlin wiped everything clean for Taylor in 2007. Tomlin saw a 6-foot-2, 195-pound cover guy who was prepared for another level.

"Coach T is a very intelligent guy," Taylor said. "On the day he was hired, he called me at 8 that night. He asked me, how did I know it was him? I told him no one else would be calling me at 8 at night from the facility.

"I told him I appreciated the confidence he had in me. He could have let me know that in some other way, but he chose that way. He took it to that level, more as an act of love. Our communication has become at that level."

Taylor also said Dick LeBeau, Pittsburgh's defensive coordinator, "is like a father to me," and the coach taught him that technique wins over athleticism. Taylor said LeBeau treats free agents with the type of respect he does All-Pro players. That earns LeBeau immeasurable respect, Taylor said.

"I told him, 'If I had hands like you when you played …'" Taylor said of LeBeau, who had 62 interceptions in 14 seasons (1959 to 1972) with the Detroit Lions. "He said, `You already passed me.' I sit around sometimes and think about what he was saying there. I got a lot of trust in him. You have to gain that kind of trust from him."

Thus, the Steelers want Taylor to rise to another level, to leap with Fitzgerald in Super Bowl XLIII. Taylor looks suited. His texture now matches his talent.

"You learn there will be some bad days and sometimes more bad ones than good ones," Taylor said. "But nobody remembers the loser. I get a chance for a second championship. This is a chance for our defense to put our name and stamp on what we do."

IAWarnerFan
01-22-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm sure Ike can cover him all by himself! :popcorn:

Potsie
01-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Taylor, 28 and in his sixth NFL season, has tailored his life and his game around these principles: Stand up to pressure and knock it down. Don't believe the hype, create your own.

Pun intentional?

fansince'76
01-22-2009, 06:04 PM

I sincerely hope Fitz and the Cards are underestimating Ike like Cards fans are.

IAWarnerFan
01-22-2009, 06:05 PM
I sincerely hope Fitz and the Cards underestimate Ike like Cards fans are.

I just hope the Steelers would actually do it! Lets find out how that would turn out early and often! :popcorn:

markymarc
01-22-2009, 08:03 PM
No question this will be one of the bigger key match ups in the game. Ike vs Fitz. It's going to be tough, but I know Ike will be up for the challenge.

82CardsGrad
01-22-2009, 08:09 PM
No question this will be one of the bigger key match ups in the game. Ike vs Fitz. It's going to be tough, but I know Ike will be up for the challenge.

I still think the key matchup is going to be Heath Miller against our LB's and FS/SS...
I have a huge amount of respect of Ike, but you really don't want him one on one with Fitz... As Cards fans, we really hope we see that as much as possible. Kurt and Fitz will win that battle an overwhelming majority of time...

But, Miller is really your key and has me most worried...

The Duke
01-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Physical receiver vs Physical corner

Tall receiver vs Tall corner

should be interesting. My money's on ike. hoping he has more catches than fitz though :chuckle:

markymarc
01-22-2009, 08:17 PM
I still think the key matchup is going to be Heath Miller against our LB's and FS/SS...
I have a huge amount of respect of Ike, but you really don't want him one on one with Fitz... As Cards fans, we really hope we see that as much as possible. Kurt and Fitz will win that battle an overwhelming majority of time...

But, Miller is really your key and has me most worried...

I would be concerned about having to cover Heath too :chuckle: The problem is with Arians he feels the need to make Miller stay back and help the OL block a lot. Heath is a big time weapon and hopefully Arians will let him run more passing routes than blocking schemes come Super Bowl Sunday.

TheSteelCurtain
01-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Ike is straight SWAGGIN.

TheSteelCurtain
01-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Fitz better hope he dont look up and see a big #25 flying at his head. Because he is gonna be watching it from the sidelines.

lilyoder6
01-22-2009, 09:13 PM
ike has played some good ball against the top wr's in the game.. hopefully he can shut down fitz

IAWarnerFan
01-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Fitz better hope he dont look up and see a big #25 flying at his head. Because he is gonna be watching it from the sidelines.

So, you think watching players get injured is fun???:shake01:

TheSteelCurtain
01-22-2009, 10:50 PM
I think a Free Safety laying a huge hit on the oppising teams Star Wide Receiver that knocks him silly is more than fun.

ITS STEELERS FOOTBALL

Not that teddy bear daycare game you play in the desert.

IAWarnerFan
01-22-2009, 10:55 PM
I think a Free Safety laying a huge hit on the oppising teams Star Wide Receiver that knocks him silly is more than fun.

ITS STEELERS FOOTBALL

Not that teddy bear daycare game you play in the desert.

You're right! Our coaches teach our players to not do the helmet to helmet stuff! If you feel the need for those tactics that's your thing tho.:frustrate

TheSteelCurtain
01-22-2009, 11:00 PM

If he see's a players number's how is that a helmet to helmet hit. Are you a Ratbird fan is disguise.

Last time i checked knocking someone the fhug out is a pretty good football tactic.

IAWarnerFan
01-22-2009, 11:13 PM
If he see's a players number's how is that a helmet to helmet hit. Are you a Ratbird fan is disguise.

Last time i checked knocking someone the fhug out is a pretty good football tactic.

I saw the replay. It may have been unintentional, but it was helmet to helmet and not something to be celebrated by fan. That would show a total lack of class.:screwy:

drizze99
01-22-2009, 11:25 PM
IAWarnerFan, did you know that there is no such thing as "helmet to helmet" when a player posses the ball?

Its called a "tackle" ... not sure if you Cards "fans" know what that is.

Here in Pittsburgh we LOVE it when we knock the snot out of the opposition. We never wish harm, just a lights out hit.

TheSteelCurtain
01-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Unintentional Helmet to Helmet Contact is totally legal and usually takes place every play.

Never once was i talking about the Mcgahee in this post. Never once did i say oh i hope Fitz gets hit in the helmet. I said he better hope he dont see a #25 flying at his head. Which would imply looking up and seeing #25. Do you read post's or just make up what you wanna hear.

I forgot you guys play flag football out there or is it 2 hand touch.

SC Steeler Steve
01-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Ike, Heath, and the Steelers in general will be fine. No smack intended, But I believe we are the best team. We will prove it on the first day of febuary.

steelwall
01-23-2009, 12:30 AM
I say we did like we did against the Ravens Jam the WR's of the Cards then pull safties to cover down feild.

Get Fitz out of rythm.

jasonhightower
01-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Great article, but I'd be very surprised if we leave Ike all alone most of the time. I think they'll be an extra shadow lurking...

CanadianSteel
01-23-2009, 12:40 AM
The entire secondary will have there hands full but they have been solid all year. The pass rush is a big part of their ability to cover.

Buzz05
01-23-2009, 05:49 AM
I say we did like we did against the Ravens Jam the WR's of the Cards then pull safties to cover down feild.

Get Fitz out of rythm.

I agree. We need to jam them at the line to throw off the timing with KW. If his timing is off that leaves him more open to sacks and errand throws trying to get out of pressure. But I think the mad scientist will be able to come up with a scheme to be able to rattle him no matter what.

revefsreleets
01-23-2009, 09:53 AM
This WILL be Ike's coming out party. After he shuts down Fitz, he'll be a household name (as he should have been already).

No disrespect for Larry Fitzgerald. He's a premier WR. But Ike is VASTLY underrated.

TheSteelCurtain
01-23-2009, 10:05 AM
People talk about the Cardinals win last year. Does anybody remember Troy Polamalu just blowing Fitz the fhug up on crossing routes.

I was watching some NFL network footage last night. And before he left the game with a injury Fitz was getting worked out. Arizona didnt cross the 20 until the 2nd half.

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-23-2009, 10:11 AM

For some packages he will. Im sure that troy will try to blind him with his mane as well:chuckle:

TheSteelCurtain
01-23-2009, 10:18 AM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29252&season=2007&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&week=REG4

Stats and Highlights of last years game. Including Fitz putting the ball on the ground. Whis taking leinart in and out of the game 3 times.

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-23-2009, 10:18 AM
This WILL be Ike's coming out party. After he shuts down Fitz, he'll be a household name (as he should have been already).

No disrespect for Larry Fitzgerald. He's a premier WR. But Ike is VASTLY underrated.

I have been talkin abotu ike for the last few weeks and i it frustrates me how people perceive him as a below avg or avg CB. People love the INT, which Ike doesnt get a lot of . He is one of the more physical CBs out there.

What does a guy have to do get a little respect around here -rodney dangerfeild voice

tony hipchest
01-23-2009, 07:18 PM
heres some interresting fitz stats-

in the cards 9 regular season WINS larry has under 100 yds receiving in 6 of them.

in their 7 LOSSES he has 100+ yds in 4 of them.

so in total he has 7 100+ yd games for the season. (3-4)

granted he has been on fire the last 3 weeks, but the regular season tells me that larry can get his, but what you want is to shut down the other receiving options.

i dont think ike is gonna shadow fitz the whole game. i bet we see plenty of ike singled up on boldin, and fitz double teamed.

82CardsGrad
01-23-2009, 07:23 PM
heres some interresting fitz stats-

in the cards 9 regular season WINS larry has under 100 yds receiving in 6 of them.

in their 7 LOSSES he has 100+ yds in 4 of them.

so in total he has 7 100+ yd games for the season. (3-4)

granted he has been on fire the last 3 weeks, but the regular season tells me that larry can get his, but what you want is to shut down the other receiving options.

i dont think ike is gonna shadow fitz the whole game. i bet we see plenty of ike singled up on boldin, and fitz double teamed.

I don't have the time to look, but you need to know that Boldin has missed 6 games this season...

Secondly, I can assure you that he would very much welcome single coverage! In many ways, he is actually more difficult to handle one on one than Fitz!
And, for the Super Bowl, there are a number of factors in play that argue for him having a BIG DAY:

- He's healthy!
- It's the Super Bowl!
- He's from Florida and will have loads of family and friends in attendance...
- He's playing for a BIG (and perhaps last) new contract!!!

Gonna be very interesting...

tony hipchest
01-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Secondly, I can assure you that he would very much welcome single coverage! ...would he welcome it more than a. johnson, r. moss, and t. owens?

ike shut them down. granted johnson had 100+ yds vs the steelers but only 2-3 catches for minimal yds were caught on ike.

boldin is a big boy whose specialty is RAC. ike is probably the best tackling corner in the league. plus he is 6'2" and runs a 4.2. boldin isnt running away from that.

Preacher
01-23-2009, 07:36 PM
I don't have the time to look, but you need to know that Boldin has missed 6 games this season...

Secondly, I can assure you that he would very much welcome single coverage! In many ways, he is actually more difficult to handle one on one than Fitz!
And, for the Super Bowl, there are a number of factors in play that argue for him having a BIG DAY:

- He's healthy!
- It's the Super Bowl!

Not sure how most of those play into it.

- Our D. and O is pretty much healthy for the first time this year as well.

- Its the SB for us too.

-All the players will have family and friends in attendance. . . and teh Steelers will probably have about 60 to 70 percent of the stadium covered.

-Makes sense. But he is just playing for a new contract. The Steelers defense is playing for immortality in a city that is known for the Steel Curtain and Blitzburgh.

SC Steeler Steve
01-23-2009, 09:19 PM

- He's healthy!
- It's the Super Bowl!

Just curious, who you tryin to convince? Us or yourself? :popcorn::coffee::tt02:

82CardsGrad
01-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Just curious, who you tryin to convince? Us or yourself? :popcorn::coffee::tt02:

Me of course... silly!

:rofl:

82CardsGrad
01-23-2009, 09:33 PM
would he welcome it more than a. johnson, r. moss, and t. owens?

ike shut them down. granted johnson had 100+ yds vs the steelers but only 2-3 catches for minimal yds were caught on ike.

boldin is a big boy whose specialty is RAC. ike is probably the best tackling corner in the league. plus he is 6'2" and runs a 4.2. boldin isnt running away from that.

You don't need a 4.2 guy to hang with Q. He's not a burner by any stretch... just a linebacker playing WR...

So if Ike is shutting down Q, who's gonna shut down Fitz??

:wave:

82CardsGrad
01-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Not sure how most of those play into it.

- Our D. and O is pretty much healthy for the first time this year as well.

- Its the SB for us too.

-All the players will have family and friends in attendance. . . and teh Steelers will probably have about 60 to 70 percent of the stadium covered.

-Makes sense. But he is just playing for a new contract. The Steelers defense is playing for immortality in a city that is known for the Steel Curtain and Blitzburgh.

Can't argue with any of that...

:popcorn:

SC Steeler Steve
01-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Me of course... silly!

:thumbsup::laughing:

tony hipchest
01-23-2009, 09:47 PM
You don't need a 4.2 guy to hang with Q. He's not a burner by any stretch... just a linebacker playing WR...

So if Ike is shutting down Q, who's gonna shut down Fitz??

:wave:that would be clark and mcfadden. or maybe troy and mcfadden. or maybe ike and clark :scratchchin:

like i said, shutting down larry may not be the key. holding him to 100 yards could suffice. being that he likes to go up for the ball we have 2 tall corners and a safety who loves to hit people and dislodge the ball. also troy has the closing speed to possibly trick warner into thinking fitz is single covered.

believe it or not, polamalu is covering a rb, te, and 2 wr on any given play....

82CardsGrad
01-23-2009, 09:50 PM
that would be clark and mcfadden. or maybe troy and mcfadden. or maybe ike and clark :scratchchin:

like i said, shutting down larry may not be the key. holding him to 100 yards could suffice. being that he likes to go up for the ball we have 2 tall corners and a safety who loves to hit people and dislodge the ball. also troy has the closing speed to possibly trick warner into thinking fitz is single covered.

believe it or not, polamalu is covering a rb, te, and 2 wr on any given play....

Hey, I believe anything you tell me about Troy... dude is SICK!!!

As for Fitz, I gotta believe Lebeau simply will NOT let Fitz beat him in this game. If nothing else, he will do all he can to take Fitz out... Which, good luck trying... and second, hello Boldin, Breaston and Urban!

:thumbsup:

CPanther95
01-23-2009, 10:28 PM

- He's healthy!
- It's the Super Bowl!

One big factor arguing against it: They have to play the PITTSBURGH STEELERS
- Their defense is healthy!
- It's the Super Bowl!
- They will have loads of family and friends - PLUS - about 50,000 fans in attendance...
- Playing for pride, each other, City of Pittsburgh and Steeler Nation, and their place in history !!!

Being motivated primarily by money gets you the Dallas Cowboys, that's why Boldin and James will not be significant contributors to the Cardinals team.

devilsdancefloor
01-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Hey, I believe anything you tell me about Troy... dude is SICK!!!

As for Fitz, I gotta believe Lebeau simply will NOT let Fitz beat him in this game. If nothing else, he will do all he can to take Fitz out... Which, good luck trying... and second, hello Boldin, Breaston and Urban!

again i undersand how great your WR are, BUT you keep under estimating how great our pass rush is! If ya go one dimensional that is awesome they will tee off and make it a long day for warner. since everyoen sems to bring up how warner went to 2 super bowls with the greatest show on turf (i think is a better O than the cards have now) scored 23 points to win against the tites & then against the * they scored 17 points & lost. right now our defense is head and shoulders above the 2 teams that played against warner in his previous 2 super bowls! i can help to think that you are over looking the defense and how powerful it is. they are a band of brothers they play for one another. If there is a break down and someone scores there is no finger pointing or yelling at one another. Same goes for the offense if something goes bad they talk about it unlike some who pout and throw fits and yell at the OC. So please look at our D i have looked at yours and i see a few folks that are really good. Every post is about the same our WR WR WR WR yes we get it, but we have shut down teams with more than 1 good reciever all year.

TheSteelCurtain
01-23-2009, 11:16 PM
Your forgetting 3 other things.

Santonio Holmes is a lot more explosive than Anquan Boldin.
(not saying better all around receiver just more explosive)

Hines Ward is a Super Bowl MVP and Catches everything thrown his way. Not to mention tougher than any player the Cardinals can put on the field.

Nate Washington runs a 4.29 40, Steve Breaston runs a 4.41 40. So we got a slot receiver than can make plays too. Only ours is faster.

As far as Tony Urban he couldnt hold heath millers jockstrap.

This is just a receiver comparison. Im not getting into CB and Safety matchups.

Only differance is we dont throw the ball 40 times a game cause we get into shootouts. We control the game and the clock.

82CardsGrad
01-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Your forgetting 3 other things.

Santonio Holmes is a lot more explosive than Anquan Boldin.
(not saying better all around receiver just more explosive)

LMAO... Holmes is not even in the same area code as Boldin...

Hines Ward is a Super Bowl MVP and Catches everything thrown his way. Not to mention tougher than any player the Cardinals can put on the field.

At best Hines and Boldin are a toss-up in terms of toughness... And I have HUGE respect for Hines... But what we've seen from Boldin over his career puts him a notch above everyone else, including Ward...

Nate Washington runs a 4.29 40, Steve Breaston runs a 4.41 40. So we got a slot receiver than can make plays too. Only ours is faster.

DRC runs a 4.3 and is essentially a shut-down corner... We wold LOVE to have him matched up on Washington all game long!!!

As far as Tony Urban he couldnt hold heath millers jockstrap.

Who?? :rofl:

Only differance is we dont throw the ball 40 times a game cause we get into shootouts. We control the game and the clock.

Check our stats in our 3 post season games... You couldn't be more off-base...

TheSteelCurtain
01-24-2009, 08:20 PM

At best Hines and Boldin are a toss-up in terms of toughness... And I have HUGE respect for Hines... But what we've seen from Boldin over his career puts him a notch above everyone else, including Ward...

DRC runs a 4.3 and is essentially a shut-down corner... We wold LOVE to have him matched up on Washington all game long!!!

1. I never said Santonio was better (now) just more explosive. Do you know what that means. A bigger big play threat, faster, quicker off the ball. If you cant agree with this you never watched Santonio Play.

2. Did you see Boldin win a Super Bowl MVP. Cause i saw Hines win one. Did you see Boldin knockout Ed Reed, Bart Scott, Keith Rivers (still drinking through a straw). Hines knocks people out, Boldin gets knocked out. Did you see Boldin break practically every receiving record on arguably the best Franchise in Football History. You didnt see Boldin do any of these things. He cant hold hines jock. Wow he put up some numbers on one of the worst teams in the NFL for the past 10 years. Who else was supposed to get the ball. Emmit Smith. What a joke.

3. Do you know what a shutdown corner is. Im sorry but when your team gives up 30 points a game you dont shut down shit. You guys got 50 scored on you 3 times this season. I thought i was looking at Arizona Wildcat basketball scores. DRC a shutdown corner what a joke. I hear John McCain was president too. You are just making yourself sound stupid.

4. Every game you guys played this year was a shootout. Kurt Warner had 60 passes in a 20 point loss vs the jets. Before you talk about your team you should know something about it. Sorry holding San Fran to 10 points and St Louis to 17 does not count as smash mouth football.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-24-2009, 08:28 PM
You guys got 50 scored on you 3 times this season. I thought i was looking at Arizona Wildcat basketball scores. .

TheSteelCurtain
01-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Im glad someone else thought this was a travesty.

lilyoder6
01-24-2009, 08:41 PM
wow.. u go steelcurtain....

but i would have 2 say that drc is a pretty good corner

TheSteelCurtain
01-24-2009, 08:49 PM
wow.. u go steelcurtain....

but i would have 2 say that drc is a pretty good corner

He is and has a promising future but not a shut down corner.

82CardsGrad
01-25-2009, 12:03 AM
1. I never said Santonio was better (now) just more explosive. Do you know what that means. A bigger big play threat, faster, quicker off the ball. If you cant agree with this you never watched Santonio Play.

Holmes is faster, but he is not quicker off the ball. And, come next Sunday, we'll see which guy makes the "big plays"... My money is on Q! :thmbup:

2. Did you see Boldin win a Super Bowl MVP. Cause i saw Hines win one. Did you see Boldin knockout Ed Reed, Bart Scott, Keith Rivers (still drinking through a straw). Hines knocks people out, Boldin gets knocked out. Did you see Boldin break practically every receiving record on arguably the best Franchise in Football History. You didnt see Boldin do any of these things. He cant hold hines jock. Wow he put up some numbers on one of the worst teams in the NFL for the past 10 years. Who else was supposed to get the ball. Emmit Smith. What a joke.

You said Ward is "tougher" than any other Cardinal. I say Q is as tough, if not tougher. Yup, he got busted up in the Jet game (was never knocked out by the way). Here's the story... enjoy reading about THE toughest player in the NFL:

Boldin back to inflicting pain after scary injury
By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports
Nov 28, 11:42 am EST

The collision was one of the scariest moments of the season, a helmet-jarring sandwich between a pair of Jets defenders that left Arizona Cardinals receiver Anquan Boldin motionless and Kurt Warner so rattled that the quarterback contemplated retiring on the spot.

Lying there flat on his back in the Giants Stadium end zone on Sept. 30, Boldin viewed his situation in far less drastic terms.

“I think it was more scary for the doctors and my coaches and teammates,” Boldin says. “But I just knew nothing was wrong and that I’d be back. I remember telling the training staff, ‘Everything is fine. I’m cool. Can I get up and walk off?’ ”

That didn’t happen – doctors insisted on a stretcher, and Boldin was taken to a hospital and diagnosed with a fractured facial bone and nerve damage. But the sixth-year wideout soon bolstered his reputation as one of the NFL’s toughest players, refusing pain medication after undergoing surgery on his sinus membrane the following week and resuming his sensational season long before doctors, coaches and family members felt it was prudent.

“The dude is a pure beast,” Cardinals halfback Edgerrin James says of his good friend. “He’s the toughest person and most loyal person you would ever meet.”

A little more than three weeks after the operation that required seven plates and 40 screws, Boldin returned to the field and began taking out his pain on the rest of the league.

3. Do you know what a shutdown corner is. Im sorry but when your team gives up 30 points a game you dont shut down shit. You guys got 50 scored on you 3 times this season. I thought i was looking at Arizona Wildcat basketball scores. DRC a shutdown corner what a joke. I hear John McCain was president too. You are just making yourself sound stupid.

DRC is a shutdown corner... and he became one as a rookie, after becoming a starter 5 weeks into the season... Yup, he's that good.

4. Every game you guys played this year was a shootout. Kurt Warner had 60 passes in a 20 point loss vs the jets. Before you talk about your team you should know something about it. Sorry holding San Fran to 10 points and St Louis to 17 does not count as smash mouth football.

Well, since you didn't do what I asked, I'll do it for you:

Falcon Game:

28 Rushes
32 Pass Attempts

Panther Game:

43 Rushes
32 Pass Attempts

Eagle Game:

29 Rushes
28 Pass Attempts

:drink:

devilsdancefloor
01-25-2009, 12:10 AM

problem is DRC can cover washington all night hood sucks couldnt cut it in philly due to his "ok" pass defending are you gonna put him on hines or santonio? then you have Rolle who cant cover anyone who is he gonna be on if DRC is on washington all night? Then you throw in miller who is gonna pass defend against him dansby? ? Sorry man it sounds like a long night a very long night for secondary for the cards! I do resepct your D and the way they have been playing the past 3 games for sure, but man think about you D doesnt stack up well against our O:tt03:

TheSteelCurtain
01-25-2009, 01:58 AM
DRC has a whopping 42 Tackles and 4 picks. On the 28th ranked defense in the NFL. 22nd against the pass. His numbers are the same as our 4th and 5th string CB's.

Teams with better ranked defenses than the redbirds include The Detroit Lions, Houston Texans and the Kansas City Chiefs.

IAWarnerFan
01-25-2009, 02:10 AM
DRC has a whopping 42 Tackles and 4 picks. On the 28th ranked defense in the NFL. 22nd against the pass. His numbers are the same as our 4th and 5th string CB's.

Teams with better ranked defenses than the redbirds include The Detroit Lions, Houston Texans and the Kansas City Chiefs.

The 4 Ints would be good enough for 2nd on your team behind Troy Polamalu (a safety). The 42 tackles would be good enough to start at CB for your Steelers as well. You have to keep in mind that Green was the starter for the start of the season, so his play was limited in the first few games.

Again with this???

The Duke
01-25-2009, 02:41 AM
The 4 Ints would be good enough for 2nd on your team behind Troy Polamalu (a safety). The 42 tackles would be good enough to start at CB for your Steelers as well. You have to keep in mind that Green was the starter for the start of the season, so his play was limited in the first few games.

Again with this???

No, it wouldn't

Can DRC play against the run? I haven't seen him do it, and i doubt he can succesfully to be a starter in the steelers. he's a cover corner, and is on pace to become a pretty darn good one. Better than his cousin by a lot. Never liked that guy, lol

His numbers i could care less about. He's done a good job at covering his receivers, especially for a rookie with only half a season starting

But to think he could start on the steelers? lol, there is a lot more than just being a cover man to be a steelers CB, and one of the main thing is playingthe run. People never seem to know that. I still get mad as hell when Ike is called dismal because he has terrible DVOA or any other cute numbers "experts" create :mad:

IAWarnerFan
01-25-2009, 02:54 AM
No, it wouldn't

Can DRC play against the run? I haven't seen him do it, and i doubt he can succesfully to be a starter in the steelers. he's a cover corner, and is on pace to become a pretty darn good one. Better than his cousin by a lot. Never liked that guy, lol

His numbers i could care less about. He's done a good job at covering his receivers, especially for a rookie with only half a season starting

But to think he could start on the steelers? lol, there is a lot more than just being a cover man to be a steelers CB, and one of the main thing is playingthe run. People never seem to know that. I still get mad as hell when Ike is called dismal because he has terrible DVOA or any other cute numbers "experts" create :mad:

Yes, actually it would. How many tackles does your #2 CB have?

He probably could if asked to do so, but that's not the way our defense is set up. We have blitzing safetys to disrupt things.

OK, but I didn't bring it up. Thank you for the kind words about DRC tho, and obviously I do agree. :wink02:

And who knows what this rookie is truly capable of? He's just getting his feet wet. Maybe he wouldn't be a starter here, but considering his rookie #'s I'd say it's possible he eventually would be.

stlrtruck
01-25-2009, 08:18 AM

Again with this???

You do realize that our CBs don't have a lot of tackles because the front 7 does their job against the run. HELLO???? Our secondary isn't about tackles, it's about coverage so the others can do their jobs up front which include stuff the run and kill QBs.

Thanks for playing but that statement is absurd considering the schemes of our defense. But believe what you want to believe.

GBMelBlount
01-25-2009, 09:05 AM
You do realize that our CBs don't have a lot of tackles because the front 7 does their job against the run. HELLO???? Our secondary isn't about tackles, it's about coverage so the others can do their jobs up front which include stuff the run and kill QBs.

Thanks for playing but that statement is absurd considering the schemes of our defense. But believe what you want to believe.

Great post Stlrtruck.

I couldn't be more excited about this match up.

Regarding Fitz, let's face it, the guy is playing like a freak right now. This is one reason I am so excited for the Superbowl. Not just to see us win, but to see a titanic match up like this when everything is on the line. This is often when you learn what someone is REALLY made of. Ike is a protoypical cornerback. He is tall, athletic and fast as hell. Although he has had mental lapses at times, he came through in the clutch in 2005. With Tomlins full support, and more maturity and confidence, he may now be ready to take it to the next level....and I'm hoping to see that on Sunday.

Go Ike! :tt02:

fansince'76
01-25-2009, 09:12 AM

NUH-UH! DRC would start for and be the best player on our defense, because, because, he just would! :jerkit: :coffee:

TheSteelCurtain
01-25-2009, 09:49 AM
If DRC was on the Steelers. He would play in dime/nickel where william gay or fernando Bryant is. Im not sure he would take the third spot away from deshea townsend.

But DRC is a good corner i wont say that. Just not on that shutdown level. With the new rules its hard to be a shutdwon corner. I just cant put DRC in the like of Champ Bailey, Ike Taylor, Asomuhga, Assante Samuel.

82CardsGrad
01-25-2009, 10:37 AM

DRC is a rookie. He didn't become a starter until the 6th game of the year... 4 picks in 11 games for a rookie? Ain't too shabby...
And in the 3 post season games, he's got 2 picks.

If DRC was on the Steelers. He would play in dime/nickel where william gay or fernando Bryant is. Im not sure he would take the third spot away from deshea townsend.

But DRC is a good corner i wont say that. Just not on that shutdown level. With the new rules its hard to be a shutdwon corner. I just cant put DRC in the like of Champ Bailey, Ike Taylor, Asomuhga, Assante Samuel.

Again, DRC is a rookie. It would be quite a feat if he were on a level of Bailey or Samuel, or even Asomuhga or Taylor... Yes, it is not a stretch to mention him in the same breath... he's that good!

TheSteelCurtain
01-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Yes, actually it would. How many tackles does your #2 CB have?

He probably could if asked to do so, but that's not the way our defense is set up. We have blitzing safetys to disrupt things.

OK, but I didn't bring it up. Thank you for the kind words about DRC tho, and obviously I do agree. :wink02:

And who knows what this rookie is truly capable of? He's just getting his feet wet. Maybe he wouldn't be a starter here, but considering his rookie #'s I'd say it's possible he eventually would be.

Bryan Mcfadden 46 William Gay 40.

Its a lot easier to get big tackles number to. Whenever teams drive up and down the field on you all season long.

30 Pts a game in the worst division in the NFL. WTF do they disrupt.

T.Richardson
01-25-2009, 01:22 PM
DRC is a rookie. He didn't become a starter until the 6th game of the year... 4 picks in 11 games for a rookie? Ain't too shabby...
And in the 3 post season games, he's got 2 picks.

Again, DRC is a rookie. It would be quite a feat if he were on a level of Bailey or Samuel, or even Asomuhga or Taylor... Yes, it is not a stretch to mention him in the same breath... he's that good!

You Cardinal fans really think your defense can stop the Steelers offense? Ben is much better than the QBs the Cards faced, maybe not McNabb, but better than Ryan and Delhomme, the Cards defense will have a tough time, Mcnabb lit your teams defense up in the second half, the Cards corners, and safetys are soft!

Warner, and the Cards offense showed how they play when they are pressured, and when the Eagles blitz, Warner either threw an incomplete pass or was sacked, fitz was held to what like 2 catches after the half? Other than Fitz, Bolden, Urban, and Breaston were non factors in that game, the Eagles outscored your team 19-8 in the second half. The Steelers defense wont allow the Cards to score fast, and when that happens, the Cards lose confidence, and they start to force plays when they arent there, and make alot of mistakes. Look at the Pats game,or the vikings game, if the Steelers score first, the Cards will become 1 dimensional and start to pass more and more.

82CardsGrad
01-25-2009, 01:44 PM
You Cardinal fans really think your defense can stop the Steelers offense? Ben is much better than the QBs the Cards faced, maybe not McNabb, but better than Ryan and Delhomme, the Cards defense will have a tough time, Mcnabb lit your teams defense up in the second half, the Cards corners, and safetys are soft!

Warner, and the Cards offense showed how they play when they are pressured, and when the Eagles blitz, Warner either threw an incomplete pass or was sacked, fitz was held to what like 2 catches after the half? Other than Fitz, Bolden, Urban, and Breaston were non factors in that game, the Eagles outscored your team 19-8 in the second half. The Steelers defense wont allow the Cards to score fast, and when that happens, the Cards lose confidence, and they start to force plays when they arent there, and make alot of mistakes. Look at the Pats game,or the vikings game, if the Steelers score first, the Cards will become 1 dimensional and start to pass more and more.

Frist, I don't think anyone here has said the Cards defense will will stop your offense...
Second, Fitz had 9 catches in the Eagle game, 3 in the 2nd half.
Third, we outscored the Eagles 24 - 6 in the first half, and 8 - 6 in the 4th quarter.

Game on!!

IAWarnerFan
01-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Bryan Mcfadden 46 William Gay 40.

Its a lot easier to get big tackles number to. Whenever teams drive up and down the field on you all season long.

30 Pts a game in the worst division in the NFL. WTF do they disrupt.

DRC 39-4 43

McFadden 37-4 41
Gay 33-8 41

Maybe, but then you need to take into account DRC's 4 Ints.

Again you are looking at regular season and that number was bloated due to the routes the Cardinals suffered in games towards the end of the season. Different team now.

T.Richardson
01-25-2009, 09:10 PM
DRC 39-4 43

McFadden 37-4 41
Gay 33-8 41

Maybe, but then you need to take into account DRC's 4 Ints.

Again you are looking at regular season and that number was bloated due to the routes the Cardinals suffered in games towards the end of the season. Different team now.

your right, This Steelers team isnt the same as last year. I personally think DRC is good, but no where is he a Great Corner, he is good but not great. 4 ints. yea lets see. 3 ints came in the 2 seattle games, 1 in the St. Louis game, and then in the playoffs 1 in the ATL game against a rookie QB, and 1 against Delhomme who is an average QB. When the Cards face a vetern QB or a great QB, the Cards corners get spanked. :coffee:

82CardsGrad
01-25-2009, 09:28 PM
your right, This Steelers team isnt the same as last year. I personally think DRC is good, but no where is he a Great Corner, he is good but not great. 4 ints. yea lets see. 3 ints came in the 2 seattle games, 1 in the St. Louis game, and then in the playoffs 1 in the ATL game against a rookie QB, and 1 against Delhomme who is an average QB. When the Cards face a vetern QB or a great QB, the Cards corners get spanked. :coffee:

Do you consider Ben a "veteran" or a "great" QB?

:noidea:

T.Richardson
01-25-2009, 09:39 PM

Great. I consider vets such as Brett Farve, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning guys who have 10+ years of experience or 30+ years old. Great QBs are guys like Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo ect.. But thats just me.

eden
01-25-2009, 09:40 PM

both :chuckle:

IAWarnerFan
01-25-2009, 09:42 PM

True, but he's a rookie! He fell down in a crucial situation, but the Eagle WR (Jackson I think) made a circus catch for the TD. He hasn't reached his full potential yet, but he's getting there and will be great. He may have a great game in the Super Bowl. :noidea:

T.Richardson
01-25-2009, 09:43 PM
True, but he's a rookie! He fell down in a crucial situation, but the Eagle WR (Jackson I think) made a circus catch for the TD. He hasn't reached his full potential yet, but he's getting there and will be great. He may have a great game in the Super Bowl. :noidea:

He will only get better the way he is playing though.

82CardsGrad
01-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Great. I consider vets such as Brett Farve, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning guys who have 10+ years of experience or 30+ years old. Great QBs are guys like Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo ect.. But thats just me.

both :chuckle:

Cool... just checkin... So when DRC grabs a pick or two, he will then have intercepted a "great veteran"...

Awesome!

tony hipchest
01-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Cool... just checkin... So when Steelers D grabs a pick or three, they will then have intercepted an "old, washed up QB"...

Awesome!

fixed that for ya! :thumbsup:

youve heard of a. cromartie right? he was last years int leader and flavor of the week.

how bout ed reed? he was this years int leader and flavor of the week. ben silenced them both. in fact, en route to his first sb, he silenced champ bailey who was that years flavor of the week.

with that being said, dont forget, ben has already proven he can throw a pick or 2 and still win a sb by 11 points.

82CardsGrad
01-25-2009, 11:11 PM
fixed that for ya! :thumbsup:

youve heard of a. cromartie right? he was last years int leader and flavor of the week.

how bout ed reed? he was this years int leader and flavor of the week. ben silenced them both. in fact, en route to his first sb, he silenced champ bailey who was that years flavor of the week.

with that being said, dont forget, ben has already proven he can throw a pick or 2 and still win a sb by 11 points.

Oh, I didn't say DRC's pick of Ben would win the game for us... Just sayin that DRC's pick of Ben would satisfy the requirement some of you put out there that DRC hadn't picked off a "great veteran"...

:thmbup:

tony hipchest
01-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Oh, I didn't say DRC's pick of Ben would win the game for us... Just sayin that DRC's pick of Ben would satisfy the requirement some of you put out there that DRC hadn't picked off a "great veteran"...

:thmbup:what is this "pick" you speak of?

while youre dreaming, you might as well come out and say that e. james will rush for 200+ yards on us...

82CardsGrad
01-25-2009, 11:17 PM
what is this "pick" you speak of?

while youre dreaming, you might as well come out and say that e. james will rush for 200+ yards on us...

Yea... If we played you guys 5 times in a row Edge might get to 200 yards! :wink02:

IAWarnerFan
01-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Yea... If we played you guys 5 times in a row Edge might get to 200 yards! :wink02:

More like 4 depending on the amount of rushes. :noidea:

tony hipchest
01-25-2009, 11:23 PM
More like 4 depending on the amount of rushes. :noidea:i had edge in ff in 06. what was it on mnf vs. bears?

37 attempts/ 59 yards?

i was about as pissed as a denny green (losing by 2 points).

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-25-2009, 11:30 PM
i had edge in ff in 06. what was it on mnf vs. bears?

37 attempts/ 59 yards?

I fear Edge is the ace in the hole for the Cards. I know whis is gonna devise a plan to try to take advantage of the defense of former employee Dicky

TheSteelCurtain
01-25-2009, 11:30 PM
DRC aka
Doesnt Really Change how bad our d is.

IAWarnerFan
01-25-2009, 11:37 PM
i had edge in ff in 06. what was it on mnf vs. bears?

37 attempts/ 59 yards?

Still, the Cards should have won that one. "They let them off the hook!" :flap:

IAWarnerFan
01-25-2009, 11:39 PM
DRC aka
Doesnt Really Change how bad our d is.

DRC stands for something else. Maybe I'll let you in on it after the Super Bowl. :wink02:

TheSteelCurtain
01-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Damn Redbirds Choked my bad.

IAWarnerFan
01-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Damn Redbirds Choked my bad.

Yeah, if the the Cardinals at 9-7 were to lose the Super Bowl it sure would be a choke.:screwy:

TheSteelCurtain
01-25-2009, 11:47 PM
Definition of Choke: To fail to perform effectively because of nervous agitation or tension, especially in an athletic contest:

shevdog
01-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Ike been dominating all season, especially on some good wideouts. I look forward to Ike INT's in XLIII!

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Yeah, if the the Cardinals at 9-7 were to lose the Super Bowl it sure would be a choke.:screwy:

Easy warner fan. U cant play that "well were 9-7 sooo if we lose its ok!" Cant flip flop, a choke would be something like giving up a 21 point lead. Your record is irrelevant in a Choke.

Thats what discourages me about everyone rooting for the Cards, they win, YAAA DAVID BEAT GOLIATH !!!! If they lose , well i dont really mind we were 9-7.

IAWarnerFan
01-25-2009, 11:49 PM
I highly doubt he will choke, but there's only one way to find out! :wink02:

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-25-2009, 11:51 PM
Indeed we will, hopefully Ben got all his chokes out on his first trip to the big show

TheSteelCurtain
01-25-2009, 11:52 PM
It might not be a choke the sheer domination of the Sleeler's may be more of a deciding factor than your nerves. I think the absolute fear of your players know they might not make it out of this game in one piece will also provide a leading role.

IAWarnerFan
01-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Easy warner fan. U cant play that "well were 9-7 sooo if we lose its ok!" Cant flip flop, a choke would be something like giving up a 21 point lead. Your record is irrelevant in a Choke.

Thats what discourages me about everyone rooting for the Cards, they win, YAAA DAVID BEAT GOLIATH !!!! If they lose , well i dont really mind we were 9-7.

Not really. A choke is being a 7 point favorite going into a contest and then losing. :wink02:

It is what it is.

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Ya decision of being 7 point favorites is not in there hands. That is the society and the media judging the game. The actual game is something you can control. If you perform poorly in a big game like this, that my friend is a Choke.:hatsoff:

tony hipchest
01-25-2009, 11:57 PM
Not really. A choke is being a 7 point favorite going into a contest and then losing. :wink02:

It is what it is.totally agree. the steelers are the only ones who can choke in this game.

the cardinals have accomplished a a great thing and they are happy and lucky just to be there.

that in itself is good enough for them.

advantage= steelers

IAWarnerFan
01-26-2009, 12:05 AM
totally agree. the steelers are the only ones who can choke in this game.

the cardinals have accomplished a a great thing and they are happy and lucky just to be there.

that in itself is good enough for them.

advantage= steelers

Agreed, but the Cardinals are no doubt going to come out and give it their best shot for 4 quarters. :wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Holmes is faster, but he is not quicker off the ball. And, come next Sunday, we'll see which guy makes the "big plays"... My money is on Q! :thmbup:

Hope you didnt bet the farm. :chuckle: I think the SB MVP made more "big plays"!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Cool... just checkin... So when DRC grabs a pick or two, he will then have intercepted a "great veteran"...

Awesome!

I guess the great DRC didnt get those pick or 2 ? :wink:

He got Holmes-schooled !!

T.Richardson
02-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Hope you didnt bet the farm. :chuckle: I think the SB MVP made more "big plays"!!

! I wish he would come back! holmes was awesome!