PDA

View Full Version : Should they forfeit??

hindes204
01-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Texas girls hoops team seeks forfeit of 100-0 win
The Associated Press
Published: Thursday, Jan. 22, 2009

DALLAS -- A Texas high school girls basketball team on the winning end of a 100-0 blowout has apologized to the losing school, calling the game "shameful and an embarrassment."

Officials from The Covenant School, a private Christian school in Dallas, said Thursday they are seeking to forfeit the win because "victory without honor is a great loss."

Covenant defeated The Dallas Academy 100-0 on Jan. 13. Covenant led 59-0 at halftime.

The Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and just 20 girls in the school. The academy specializes in teaching students with what it calls "learning differences," such as short attention spans or difficulty in concentrating.

http://www.sacbee.com/859/story/1565596.html

stlrtruck
01-22-2009, 06:48 PM
I'll leave it up to the school officials about the forfeit but what I see there is a coach who wants to teach his kids something more than winning.

That in and of itself is impressive!

BehindSteelCurtain
01-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Is it he other team's fault that they suck? If the are complaining that they lost by so much than maybe they shouldn't have a basketball team. The other team was just playing.

Crushzilla
01-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Is it he other team's fault that they suck? If the are complaining that they lost by so much than maybe they shouldn't have a basketball team. The other team was just playing.

That's the thing, though.

I don't think anyone complained on the losing end. They probably just took their lumps and realized that they just don't have the team to compete.

If they lost 100-0 they are probably used to being whomped.

In hindsight, from what I gather, they probably realized what a d*** move it was.

Now they want to say "my bad."

TheSteelCurtain
01-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Im amazed that you didnt manage to score a point. Eventually you would have to get the ball across midcourt. If they fired up enough shots you would think one would have to go in.

Like the other team is gonna take the forfeit anyways, that would look even worse than loosing by a 100.

However i do feel it is a nice move by the coach and players of the winning team.

Crushzilla
01-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Im amazed that you didnt manage to score a point. Eventually you would have to get the ball across midcourt. If they fired up enough shots you would think one would have to go in.

Like the other team is gonna take the forfeit anyways, that would look even worse than loosing by a 100.

However i do feel it is a nice move by the coach and players of the winning team.

That seems logical. Maybe they are the Penguins of girls basketball and they just pass the ball around forever looking for that PERFECT shot.

lambertlunaticfan
01-27-2009, 02:15 AM
good point here,why do you even have a team,how is that fun,.....i know its about the game and not winning-blah,blah,blah.....but come on,you cant even score one point in the game.....and i cant believe they fired the coach on the winning team for it,what was he or she suppose to do,just have thier team dribble the ball around for a whole half of the game......like the globetrotters or something.........the girls on the winning team joined to play the game and they should be able to,its not thier fault the other team couldnt stop them or score........i mean ,let's be reasonable here,the girls on the winning team couldve just passed the ball around if they really didnt want to score,i think its pathetic to put it all on the coach like this..........i mean shoud every team that beats prairie view in football fire thier coach because they went like 80 games without a college football win.....its about playing the game and im sorry but you sign up to play ,you take your chances to get blown out like this........in high school we lost our homecoming football game 72-0 and they didnt fire the coach on that other team,if anything they shouldve fired our coach and they should fire the coach on the losing bball team or heres a idea stop having a team.....:doh:

Dino 6 Rings
01-27-2009, 07:20 AM
My understanding is that the Winning Team kept their starters in for most of the game, engaged in a Full Court Press the entire game where they could easily steal the ball before mid court and then, to push it further, continued to shoot 3 pointers late into the 4th quarter as Parents and an Assistant coach of the Winning team chanted, "Get One Hundred"

Not very sportsman like.

KeiselPower99
01-27-2009, 09:08 AM
How do you not get at least 1 basket during a game??? Im not mad about the other team scoring 100 but more confused on how the team got shutout in a basketball game.

SteelCityKing
01-27-2009, 09:14 AM
i was watching them talk about this on Mike and Mike in the morning. personally, i think they should envoke a mercy rule for games like that. they do it in baseball games. but then again, baseball games aren't timed and they can go on forever.

i don't think they should've forfeited but on the flip side, how do you not get ONE point? how hard was it to have one player slip through the defense and get a bloody layup?! i mean, if the team sucked THAT bad, then they should've quit when they had the chance.

i guess the coach got fired because he would not apologize for his teams "unsportsmanlike conduct" for cheering their team on while they were up so many points, full court pressing, and draining 3 pointers. i mean, isn't that was a team is SUPPOSED to do? WIN!?

Crushzilla
01-27-2009, 03:37 PM
How do you not get at least 1 basket during a game??? Im not mad about the other team scoring 100 but more confused on how the team got shutout in a basketball game.

Because there are like 4 girls in the entire school.

Pick 8 random teenage girls... that's your team...

The coach is probably the janitor too.

EDIT: P.S. Also, look at what kind of school it is.

Crushzilla
01-27-2009, 03:39 PM
i was watching them talk about this on Mike and Mike in the morning. personally, i think they should envoke a mercy rule for games like that. they do it in baseball games. but then again, baseball games aren't timed and they can go on forever.

i don't think they should've forfeited but on the flip side, how do you not get ONE point? how hard was it to have one player slip through the defense and get a bloody layup?! i mean, if the team sucked THAT bad, then they should've quit when they had the chance.

i guess the coach got fired because he would not apologize for his teams "unsportsmanlike conduct" for cheering their team on while they were up so many points, full court pressing, and draining 3 pointers. i mean, isn't that was a team is SUPPOSED to do? WIN!?

The Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and just 20 girls in the school. The academy specializes in teaching students with what it calls "learning differences," such as short attention spans or difficulty in concentrating

lambertlunaticfan
01-28-2009, 02:21 AM
so we are suppose to feel sorry for them????...dont field a team then,if you cant even score one point in a game,thats pathetic.......nobody made them field a team....dont play the game if you cant take the blowout......theres more than 4 girls in the whole school-theres 28 girls in the school...and im not sure what your point is:doh:...again,noone made them field a team.....Because there are like 4 girls in the entire school.

Pick 8 random teenage girls... that's your team...

The coach is probably the janitor too.

EDIT: P.S. Also, look at what kind of school it is.

lambertlunaticfan
01-28-2009, 02:32 AM
well good for the winning team,at least they know how to play the game.....i say bravo:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:......i hate this sportsmen talk,...its about winning the game or at least playing your best,and if you cant score a point in a basketball game,well thats scary if thats your best,how do you not even get a foul shot for you......i mean at some point isnt it about winning.....isnt that why you play the game........its like that girls softball game,where the girl hits the game winning home run but falls down rounding first and hurts herself and cant run so the players on the other team carry her so they can win the game....why do we even keep score anymore,that way we can all be winners.......................so that team shouldve just scored that first basket and then what,just dribble the ball for 40 mintues then,so the final score shouldve been 2-0,would that make everyone happy.......i mean come on.....My understanding is that the Winning Team kept their starters in for most of the game, engaged in a Full Court Press the entire game where they could easily steal the ball before mid court and then, to push it further, continued to shoot 3 pointers late into the 4th quarter as Parents and an Assistant coach of the Winning team chanted, "Get One Hundred"

Not very sportsman like.

lambertlunaticfan
01-28-2009, 02:34 AM
YES!!!!!!!...i totally agree with you.....i thought i was all alone on this:hatsoff:Is it he other team's fault that they suck? If the are complaining that they lost by so much than maybe they shouldn't have a basketball team. The other team was just playing.

Crushzilla
01-28-2009, 03:46 AM
so we are suppose to feel sorry for them????...dont field a team then,if you cant even score one point in a game,thats pathetic.......nobody made them field a team....dont play the game if you cant take the blowout......theres more than 4 girls in the whole school-theres 28 girls in the school...and im not sure what your point is:doh:...again,noone made them field a team.....

Again.

The way I understand the story is that the Dallas Academy (the losing team) did not ask for a forfeit.

You, sir, obviously understand the REAL purpose of high school athletics... :coffee:

Crushzilla
01-28-2009, 04:01 AM
Allow me to set the record straight. It seems that the general reception of this "news" is that you play to absolutely humiliate an opponent. The words are exaggerated, but isn't that what I'm hearing?

There's absolutely ZERO significance in the fact that it was 100-0?

After all, no one had any problems with it when the Patriots were doing it last year :rolleyes:. There is absolutely NO double standard here. :rolleyes:.

Ok. I'm being an asshole, but seriously read this. I'm getting to my point, and I'll boldface my point since a lot of people don't actually research or read anything anyway.

Dallas Academy Bulldogs, 100-0 losers, gain national attention

11:34 PM CST on Friday, January 23, 2009

By BARRY HORN / The Dallas Morning News
bhorn@dallasnews.com

The Dallas Academy Bulldogs, losers of a 100-0 high school girls basketball game last week, have emerged as America's sweethearts.

They have become the rage of network television. Today, they're scheduled to appear on two early morning national shows, and the gifts are piling up.

"Everybody who hears the story is sympathetic if not empathetic," said Andrew Morse, executive producer of Good Morning America Weekend, explaining the media interest. "Everybody has been on a losing side and felt what it must have been to look at the scoreboard as the other team's point total continued to mount."

It's made for a grueling schedule.

The girls were up late Thursday night to participate in a faux practice taped by ABC's World News. After the report that mentioned the final score, their traditional losing ways and their learning problems was broadcast Friday night, anchor Diane Sawyer, looking straight into the camera, offered a gentle cheer, "And go Bulldogs."

Early this morning, the girls will be back in the Dallas Academy gym for a segment on ABC's Good Morning America Weekend. As soon as ABC is finished with them, CBS' Saturday Early Show will step in to do its interviews.

Presumably, Sunday will be a day of rest. Then everybody will be back in the gym early Monday morning for a scheduled interview with Matt Lauer of NBC's Today show.

And there has been Mark Cuban's invitation to be his guests at a Mavericks game as well as a call from Nike about sponsoring a team trip to the Feb. 15 NBA All-Star Game in Phoenix. There may be some new uniforms thrown in.

The story unfolded on Jan. 13, when The Covenant School's team overwhelmed Dallas Academy, 100-0, keeping the pressure on until it reached 100 points. The game was played in an old North Dallas gym with few fans other than parents as witnesses. No media were present. But the score appeared in The Dallas Morning News the following day. It wasn't until a story about the game appeared in The News that the world took notice.

It was on Thursday, the day the story appeared, that Covenant, a North Dallas Christian School, issued an apology on its Web site, saying its team had achieved "victory without honor" and said it would forfeit the game.

When posted on dallas news.com, the story attracted 665,000 page views, the most since a controversy over who should be the Grapevine High School valedictorian attracted 853,000 in 2008. The season-high story for the Cowboys, perennial Web site favorites, was 300,000 page views in November when Tony Romo took a homeless man to the movies.

E-mails have flooded in from across the country and as far away as China commenting on the story. Most have questioned the motives of Covenant's coach for "running up" the score. But some have defended the coach for allowing his girls to play to their potential. None have blamed the Covenant players.

The attention has stunned Dallas Academy, which told its side of the story only after it was asked.

"It's really silly," said Jim Richardson, the school's headmaster, who has continually emphasized he has no hard feelings and pointed out that Covenant head of school Kyle Queal once spent time working for him as a substitute at Dallas Academy. "I remember once seeing a 1940s Gary Cooper movie in which people made a big deal about nothing. I think we're getting there fast."

http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/sharedcontent/dws/content/topstories/stories/012409dnspoacademygtime.23ba04c6.html

Dallas Academy never cared as much as the media did.

It would appear that I nailed this on the head the first time I posted.

So, instead of everyone abusing these girls and telling them to HIT THE ROAD BECAUSE THEY SUCK AT BASKETBALL... do your freaking homework.

Again, I'm being an asshole, but really?

High school girls with learning disorders?

Really? THAT'S who's fault this is?

The media created this thing, and even the headmaster of Dallas Academy says it's silly.

Get serious, people.

lambertlunaticfan
01-28-2009, 05:29 AM
hey crush-no need to swear....and the point you claim to have nailed on the head was what????....and please all wise one,could you please explain to me what the so called real purpose of high school sports are?....i mean if its not about winning,as you ripped on me with your smart,"you sir"....then what is it about,if its not about compitition and trying to win than what is it about,please yoda explain it to me......cause if its not about those things,than why do they keep score,why do they have state championships,why dont they do it like tee-ball and everyone plays and they dont keep score,cause like i said,we are all winners......i will agree the media created this,but the fact that people even care about this like that is sad.......and i never said they didnt,the media gets a story like this and they run with it,until the next human interest story comes along........dont help out the people that are losing thier homes and jobs,lets help out these poor little girls who dont know how to play a sports they chose to play.......just pathetic the way this country is,we have troops fighting wars and this is the top news story.............anyway,i was just saying,the girls that won played the game,why should they be criticized and made the bad guy(girl in this case) for winning a game..................its just amazing in this country,people really love a story like this........i mean any chance to get outraged about sombody being wronged,all the things going on in this country and this is what you people are out raged about-i mean come on,all the news features,all the attention with nike and mark cuban and being a guest at the all star game,which im sure they will have a special ceramony for the girls...............talk about going overboard..making stars out of these girls.....big deal they lost a freakin game........to all of you----build a bridge and get over it.....

stlrtruck
01-28-2009, 07:32 AM
While the game is about winning, it's also about teaching kids respect, sportsmanship, and how to win with class and honor.

I remember last year when the patriots* were running it up on opponents and many on this board, myself included, were blasting them for playing the game with no respect.

You can win with class and running the score up is not winning with class. Eventually you've got to call off the hounds and play some of the other players. It's one thing to blow them out like that if you drop back to a vanilla defense and shot nothing but 2's!

But that's just me.

On the flip side, the losing coach and players have handled this wonderfully and they deserve the credit for taking the high road.

Crushzilla
01-28-2009, 02:50 PM
hey crush-no need to swear....and the point you claim to have nailed on the head was what????....and please all wise one,could you please explain to me what the so called real purpose of high school sports are?....i mean if its not about winning,as you ripped on me with your smart,"you sir"....then what is it about,if its not about compitition and trying to win than what is it about,please yoda explain it to me......cause if its not about those things,than why do they keep score,why do they have state championships,why dont they do it like tee-ball and everyone plays and they dont keep score,cause like i said,we are all winners......i will agree the media created this,but the fact that people even care about this like that is sad.......and i never said they didnt,the media gets a story like this and they run with it,until the next human interest story comes along........dont help out the people that are losing thier homes and jobs,lets help out these poor little girls who dont know how to play a sports they chose to play.......just pathetic the way this country is,we have troops fighting wars and this is the top news story.............anyway,i was just saying,the girls that won played the game,why should they be criticized and made the bad guy(girl in this case) for winning a game..................its just amazing in this country,people really love a story like this........i mean any chance to get outraged about sombody being wronged,all the things going on in this country and this is what you people are out raged about-i mean come on,all the news features,all the attention with nike and mark cuban and being a guest at the all star game,which im sure they will have a special ceramony for the girls...............talk about going overboard..making stars out of these girls.....big deal they lost a freakin game........to all of you----build a bridge and get over it.....

We are in absolute agreement about the media. I hear you 100% on how the girls that won are being portrayed as bad "guys."

I also totally agree that everyone wants us to feel bad for the girls from Dallas Academy. Why? They don't feel bad for themselves.

The point that I made in the first post is that the girls from Dallas Academy don't really care about this specific game. They aren't making NEARLY as big of a deal about it as the rest of the world is. Literally, the world... people from China are e-mailing this school according to the article.

With that said, everyone keeps saying that if the girls can't handle it, they shouldn't have a team. That's the thing, though. The girls CAN handle it, and they can take their lumps as well as anyone else, which I also mentioned before. They are, obviously, used to losing. No one made a big deal about it until the media got its hands on it.

Of course sports is about competition. Again, we agree on this point. Where we differ greatly is what should be bred from that competition. I am from the same school as Truck:

While the game is about winning, it's also about teaching kids respect, sportsmanship, and how to win with class and honor..

Winning is the reward for hard work and respecting the construct of the game. If you put your time in, listen to your coach, trust your teammates, trust yourself, and stay within a carefully considered gameplan (generally) you will win.

Winning is not the end all. It cannot be the final objective; that is too short-sighted.

Ultimately, it should be about winning (and losing) with dignity and respect for your opponent and the game. Winning 100-0 is not winning. What does that achieve?

Winning 100-0 and running up the score (they did run up the score; I think it's safe to say that argument is moot) teaches the kids that achieving accolades is more important and larger than the game. What the coach taught the girls is that they are bigger than the game.

I can only assume that this isn't the first time the school has had trouble with this coach. This incident was more than likely the final straw, and it lead to their termination. This person obviously subscribes to a different philosophy than most coaches. Ultimately, it is a coach's job to act as a teacher and to teach these girls fundamental qualities that will help them in life.

The qualities of teamwork, respect, and humility will take you a lot farther in life than greed, disrespect, and the pursuit of individual accolades. If we disagree on this point then we are NEVER going to agree on if the right or wrong thing was done here. We are just too different of people in that case. That's what I'm saying it should be about.

Going back to the original point, I only get fired up because it is SO FAR from the girls at the Dallas Academy's fault for this media whirlwind.

I work with kids almost everyday, and I get fired up about stuff like this. I apologize for being abrasive, but I have seen so many high school kids that don't care nearly as much about this stuff as their parents, peers, and people in the community. It doesn't mean that they shouldn't be playing; it just means that they have their priorities straight.

I only played football for two years. We never won a game. We seriously never even came close. Admittedly, I wasn't very good (I'm 5' 7" and Italian... so I'm kind of like a bulldog :noidea:). The rest of my teammates weren't very good either. We had an exceptional running back that went on to start DII in college. That was about it.

I don't care that we never won, though, and never really thought about it until now.

I guarantee you I am doing just as well for myself (if not better) than those guys that used to whomp on us every week.

"Have previous experience I do." :chuckle:

That was a little Yoda for you :wink02:.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Here's the deal. The coach/administrators/"adults" had their chance to be sportsmanlike during the game. Doing it after the fact doesn't teach these kids a lesson, it is just going to piss them off and make them bitter that they have to give away a win. They won't learn anything from it. What should happen is the coach should have to publicly apologise for his actions at an assembly or something at the other school.

lambertlunaticfan
01-28-2009, 06:51 PM
of course the losing team has handle this wonderful...look at all the attention and special favors they are receiving for this...the media and all of you who care about a team that cant play baseketball(so bad they cant even score a point)...are making them superstars...only in america do we celebrate these kinds of storys and the people involved in them.....they lost a basketball game,like i said,big freakin deal......so would all the country be up in arms and all these stars be giving them things if the game was 30-0...........for a second,look at not the winning score,but the losing score-0.....they couldnt score a point,so why are they deserving of all this special attention and being credited like they are.........all i know,is when i played sports we got blown out in games,we lost 72-0 in a football game and we didnt cry about it and think we were a story,i mean if a news company wanted to do a story about it,i certainly wouldnt do the story for them......................and of course they are handling it good,they are obviously used to losing....they are just happy that with this lose the country is in love with them........taking the high road,what?....of course thats the road they took,what else was there.......what road were they suppose to take,come out and say,"i cant beleive they ran the score up on us"we are offended and outraged by this".....what nike is getting us free uniforms,well then we will just be americas new little darlings......they couldve turned down the interviews,the special attention,the nba all star game invite,the mark cuban invite,the nike uniforms....that to be would be the high road,what they did was the american way,cash in on your fame when you can.....