PDA

View Full Version : Steelers want to earn ring for Bettis

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2005, 12:51 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_408061.html

One of the Steelers' unofficial goals this season has been to get running back Jerome Bettis into the Super Bowl in his hometown of Detroit and get him a ring before he retires.
From Bettis' perspective, he should have already won a title.

"No question," Bettis said. "I felt, a couple of those years, we had the best team, that was the sad part. All three years, I felt we had the better team (better than the three eventual Super Bowl winners)."

The Steelers have been to three AFC Championship Games since acquiring Bettis in April 1996 from St. Louis for a second-round pick in 1996 and a fourth-round pick in 1997.

They lost to Denver, 24-21, on Jan. 11, 1998, at Three Rivers Stadium (the Broncos went on to beat the Packers, 31-24, in Super Bowl XXXII).

They lost to New England, 24-17, on Jan. 27, 2002, at Heinz Field (the Patriots went on to beat the Rams, 20-17, in Super Bowl XXXVI).

They lost to New England, 41-27, on Jan. 23, 2004, at Heinz Field (the Patriots went on to beat the Eagles, 24-21, in Super Bowl XXXIX).
"That's something you gotta live with," Bettis said. "It is what it is."

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2005, 12:52 AM
So many blown chances and the more we read and hear from Jerome it looks like this is indeed his last year.. Let's get out there and get that one for thumb and get Jerome a ring.

Koopa
12-28-2005, 12:53 AM
i hope we can do it for him, no one in the league deserves one more then him

Prosdo
12-28-2005, 12:59 AM
Jerome is an amazing player and a true team player. No one deserves it more and I would love to see him play in the Super Bowl in his hometown.

Livinginthe past
12-28-2005, 07:04 AM
I hope its ok by Augustashark for me to say this - but if the Pats bite the dust id love to see Jerome get the ring he has been after.

All these years of giving selflessly to the team effort deserve to be rewarded.

The worst smack I have heard about him is that he gets a little excited after 2/3 yard gains - well....if thats the worst they got on him - he must be a pretty classy guy.

*Disclaimer - If Pats do meet the Steelers I reserve the right to wish the Pats D to keep him to 10 total yards *

Cheers

NM

clevestinks
12-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Is there any better motovation, than to win a ring for a great, unselfish player. I thinks this really shows how respected Jerome is, and that he will be missed more than we will ever know, by his team mates.

Now go out there in win one for the BUS!

clevestinks
12-28-2005, 08:18 AM
I hope its ok by Augustashark for me to say this - but if the Pats bite the dust id love to see Jerome get the ring he has been after.

The worst smack I have heard about him is that he gets a little excited after 2/3 yard gains - well....if thats the worst they got on him - he must be a pretty classy guy.

*Disclaimer - If Pats do meet the Steelers I reserve the right to wish the Pats D to keep him to 10 total yards *

Cheers

NM
LITP, nice post! Classy post about a classy player!

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2005, 11:27 AM
The Bus Should have at least 4 rings(Dewayne Washington Blew 2002 Division Playoff Game). And getting him his one for the thumb this year.

bengalsfan21
12-28-2005, 12:19 PM
I can't believe I am saying this but, I like Bettis and he should have a ring BUT this is the year of the Colts and the only team that can stop that is the Pats (who are the Colts daddies) now when Cincy bites the dust I will pull for Pitts. BUT if NE wins another super bowl with all the injuries I am jumping on the bandwagon :grin:

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Cincy will bite the dust real early. Don't be surprised if we show them the exit door out of the playoffs.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2005, 12:58 PM

Cheers

NM

Great post, we'd expect nothing less or more from you :tt:

NFL network today said Jerome says he will most likely retire after this season no matter what the outcome..so this will be his last game at Heinz Field coming up .

Koopa
12-28-2005, 02:43 PM
well at least he'll leave the game with a ring :grin:

clevestinks
12-28-2005, 02:54 PM
One for the BUS! Here We Go Steelers! Here We GO!

augustashark
12-28-2005, 04:39 PM
I'm a Irish fan as well as a Steelers fan. So this would be maybe the finest moment in sports IMO. I can remember back in college he was as respected as he is now. Big #6 running the daylights out in the sugar bowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great moments man!!!!!! Love ya Bus!!

bengalsfan21
12-28-2005, 05:06 PM
I'm a Irish fan as well as a Steelers fan. So this would be maybe the finest moment in sports IMO. I can remember back in college he was as respected as he is now. Big #6 running the daylights out in the sugar bowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great moments man!!!!!! Love ya Bus!!

Being an Irish fan will suck for you come Jan 2nd :poke:

Brady12
12-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Maybe it's best Pittsburgh avoids playing New England then... after looking at those two games, New England's beat Pittsburgh in 2 of 3 Championship years :D

I would like to see Bettis win a championship, but I don't want the Steelers to win, or i'll never hear the end of it from my friend here in Saskatchewan.

LambertIsGod58
12-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Bettis is not one of the greatest players to play for us, but one of the greatest people. He's probably one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. In 2002, I was at a Sports Memorabilia show. My wife and I were at the hotel. We were leaving to go to dinner. I see Bettis, Porter and Ward standing outside a limo. No one was around. I stop my truck in the middle of the parking lot. I get out and ask Bettis for a picture with him. He did so. I was coming back to my truck and several young kids asked me who he was. I told them. Bettis stayed until he signed auto's for all 10 or so kids. Not many of today's players would do that. I hope he gets his ring. He deserves it.

MichiSteeler
12-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Jerome is an amazing player and a true team player. No one deserves it more and I would love to see him play in the Super Bowl in his hometown.

Exactly!:smile:

melroseplace
12-28-2005, 06:09 PM
I think there are very few people who would argue the fact that this guy deserves a Super Bowl ring more than anyone in the NFL. I really hope to see him get it

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2005, 06:25 PM
This year is for the fans of Pittsburgh, the Steelers, The Rooneys And Most Importantly THE BUS!!!