PDA

View Full Version : Top ten changes that need to be made to the Superbowl

SteelersMongol
01-22-2009, 09:13 PM
It's a national holiday, or at least the day after should be.

The Super Bowl is the biggest sporting event of the year, but that doesn't mean it's perfect.

Far from it.

Here are the Top Ten Changes That Need to be Made to the Super Bowl.

10. No Domes

It's football. It's meant to be played in the elements. It's meant to be a struggle against the man in front of you in the environment around you.

How can a player run off the field without a grass stain on his jersey and feel like a champion?

9. Lose the Interpretive Dance

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DxSpTG8QBf4/SXf5_QxMfpI/AAAAAAAAA9E/W8bgknbpdfo/s400/ballonfloatAngled502.jpg

The NFL tries to show its softer side by allowing these ridiculous, modern dance routines into the stadium.

What is that even supposed to be?

8. Lose the Red Carpet

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DxSpTG8QBf4/SXf6Bpr6fWI/AAAAAAAAA9M/7MCJJ00KWlo/s400/seacrest+-+matt+slocum+ap.jpg

I'll keep this one short and simple:

At no point during the Super Bowl should Ryan Seacrest ever appear on my television screen. Let alone working the red carpet outside of the stadium.

7. Lower the Prices

According to this MSNBC article:

LiveStub, a secondary ticket site that doesn't charge commissions for tickets it sells, says the average selling price is $2,278 per seat. eBay's StubHub has the average this morning at $2,790 per seat.

How can anyone that's making the average salary possibly come up with that kind of money to see their team in the Super Bowl? Add in travel expenses, lodging, food and merchandise and you're somewhere in the neighborhood of a $5,000 weekend.

6. Start the Game Earlier

If you've already lost 85% of the senior citizen demographic before kickoff, how is starting the Super Bowl at midnight actually helping you out?

After the senior citizens pass out, the rest of the population that doesn't worship football rolls over at halftime, puts on the sleep timer and calls it a night.

This isn't brain science Mr. Goodell. It's common sense.

5. Announcers are Chosen, Not Assigned

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DxSpTG8QBf4/SXf6EKcUZKI/AAAAAAAAA9U/x19dWDt50zs/s400/caliendo_madden.jpg

NFL referees are graded throughout the season based upon their performance in game situations. The highest rated crews are chosen to officiate the Super Bowl - the highest honor in the profession.

Why not the same for NFL announcers?

We need to set up a system that grades announcers on their ability to improvise, accuracy and level of knowledge. Based upon those grades, two weeks before the Super Bowl the announcers would be chosen.

ESPN could even buy the rights to the selection show.

4. Let the Real Fans In

When the Bears made to the Super Bowl a few years back, the entire population of Chicago tried to get tickets. Of the five that actually got lucky enough to secure a seat in Florda, four were the kind that yell at you for standing up to cheer during a game.

Where are the real fans at?

3. Pick a Half Time Show People Actually Want to See

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DxSpTG8QBf4/SXf6Gj9OnEI/AAAAAAAAA9c/Q_0Zjo9IMEw/s400/tompetty3.jpg

At this point, we're about two years away from seeing Yo-Yo Ma and Michael Buble at the 50-yard line during halftime.

Look, Nipplegate had just as a dramatic effect on my life as anyone else (I had no idea you could put something like that on your...).

But come on, does watching Paul McCartney or The Rolling Stones really get you pumped up to play some football? If you can't picture anyone in the locker room listening to any of these artists on their iPod before a game, find someone else.

It's time.

2. Bring the Bud Bowl back

Growing up I looked more forward to the Bud Bowl than the actual game.

Side note: Now that I think about it, that may explain alot of things. I can't imagine how I'd react to seeing a 10-year-old kid screaming Budweiser at the top of his lungs in front of the TV.

Bottom line, the Bud Bowl was the perfect Super Bowl companion and revolutionized the way people felt about commercials.

1.Change it to a Saturday

The NFL waved bye bye to tradition the minute they turned the game itself into the longest running advertisement you'll ever see. So don't give me, 'but it's always been on Sundays, it's a tradition', kind of arguments in the comments section.

This is the biggest cash register in professional sports right now and I'm truly shocked the NFL hasn't made the move yet. More people would watch, bars would sell more drinks, grocery stores would sell more junk food and less people would call in sick to work because of a Super Bowl Monday hangover.

You want to help the economy Mr. President?

Super Bowl Saturday it is.

http://www.toptenchicagosports.com/2009/01/top-ten-changes-that-need-to-be-made-to.html

:thumbsup: Nice article. Agreed with all of them, except that Bud Bowl thing cuz I don't really know what it was. :wink02:

KeiselPower99
01-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Really cant argue with any of them. The Bud Bowl was awesome though. Budweiser versus Bud Light.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-22-2009, 09:43 PM
Don't remember the Bud Bowl. But I agree with the rest of it.

stillers4me
01-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Don't remember the Bud Bowl. But I agree with the rest of it.

Kids. :doh:

I suppose you don't remember the frogs, either.

Stu Pidasso
01-22-2009, 10:15 PM
WAAASSSSUUUUUUPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

lilyoder6
01-22-2009, 10:23 PM
they def do need to change a few things of the SB.. esp the cost of the game..

NEPAsteeler
01-22-2009, 10:34 PM
I agree with each one of these, except of course the Bud Bowl... mainly because I am younger. :flap:

MACH1
01-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Fix #7 and that should take care of #4.

MasterOfPuppets
01-22-2009, 10:37 PM
4. Let the Real Fans In

When the Bears made to the Super Bowl a few years back, the entire population of Chicago tried to get tickets. Of the five that actually got lucky enough to secure a seat in Florda, four were the kind that yell at you for standing up to cheer during a game.

Where are the real fans at?

:idea:

How can anyone that's making the average salary possibly come up with that kind of money to see their team in the Super Bowl? Add in travel expenses, lodging, food and merchandise and you're somewhere in the neighborhood of a $5,000 weekend.

Godfather
01-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Kids. :doh:

I suppose you don't remember the frogs, either.

The frogs were the greatest merchandising idea of all time. I was at a Super Bowl party for the Packers-Broncos...one of the best games ever, yet when someone showed up early in the second quarter and asked what was going on everyone's answer was "The Budweiser frogs got assassinated!!!"

Preacher
01-22-2009, 10:42 PM
This is definitely written by an east-coaster.

Now, a Saturday game, starting at 2:00 west coast time, 5 East coast time would be GREAT.

MasterOfPuppets
01-22-2009, 11:23 PM
This is definitely written by an east-coaster.

Now, a Saturday game, starting at 2:00 west coast time, 5 East coast time would be GREAT.i could live with that.....:drink: <-----pepsi

SC Steeler Steve
01-22-2009, 11:55 PM
I agree with all of them. I cant believe I had forgot the Bud Bowl and the frogs. That brings back memories. We used to actually get a pool together on the Bud Bowl. I think we even had a over/under...LOL

SC Steeler Steve
01-23-2009, 12:02 AM
ALDFMiHOTFs

a2K_XCklwc4

SC Steeler Steve
01-23-2009, 12:17 AM
pVcbasIb8lQ

Yb4Lc-Xqsq0

AIQ_DFsq9G4

stlrtruck
01-23-2009, 08:32 AM
I use to look forward to the Bud Bowl too. And then it disappeared and the lizards and frogs were good too.

Time to reduce the prices and let the real fans in. Can you imagine how much more money would be dropped in the local markets from visiting fans rather than the pompous fools that attend now.

revefsreleets
01-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Concur with all for the most part. Amazing that the first Super Bowl didn't even sell out, and I think tickets were like $17 or something.

Speaking of commercials, as far as a body of work, Bud wins hands down. Other than those already mentioned, remember the horses playing football? Then going for two? The "Axe Murderer" commercial from a couple years back?

The one problem with the Steelers being in the Super Bowl is no bathroom breaks. I get food/go to the bathroom during the game, especailly when the Patricheats are playing.

MasterOfPuppets
01-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Concur with all for the most part. Amazing that the first Super Bowl didn't even sell out, and I think tickets were like $17 or something.

Speaking of commercials, as far as a body of work, Bud wins hands down. Other than those already mentioned, remember the horses playing football? Then going for two? The "Axe Murderer" commercial from a couple years back?

The one problem with the Steelers being in the Super Bowl is no bathroom breaks. I get food/go to the bathroom during the game, especailly when the Patricheats are playing.sounds to me like you need a tv in the kitchen and bathroom....:noidea:

vasteeler
01-23-2009, 11:56 AM
BUD.....

crzystlrfn39
01-23-2009, 12:14 PM
The one commercial nowadays that makes me think how the super bowl is. With all its corporate types being at the game, is the Miller High Life commercial. Where the delivery driver breaks into the luxury suite and asks the suits what the score is. Then they box up all the beer and leave. Let the real fans in not a bunch of snobs who don't care. Great article!

revefsreleets
01-23-2009, 12:16 PM
sounds to me like you need a tv in the kitchen and bathroom....:noidea:

Etiquette question: if I host the party, and it's my shit, is it proper from to pause the DVR around MY schedule? My bathroom breaks and food/beer runs?

stlrtruck
01-23-2009, 12:27 PM
BUD.....

WEIS

stlrtruck
01-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Etiquette question: if I host the party, and it's my shit, is it proper from to pause the DVR around MY schedule? My bathroom breaks and food/beer runs?

I wouldn't have a problem with it but if it were my party, I'd make sure that the master bathroom was always open to me and only go during commercials.

But as a backup plan, make sure that a very trustworthy friend has his hands on the remote in case you aren't back in time.

MasterOfPuppets
01-23-2009, 02:26 PM
absolutely.....i'd pause at the end of each quarter.... i'm sure the guest wouldn't mind a periodic piss break :monkey:...just let everyone know the schedule before hand....:thumbsup: as far as the beer goes...i keep a cooler by my chair.....saves electric by not opening the fridge a hundred times, and iced down beer always tastes better anyway...

RoethlisBURGHer
01-23-2009, 05:58 PM
WEIS

ER!

I do remember the frogs and the lizards.

HughC
01-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Would love to see some of these, but it's just wishful thinking and it's never going to happen. We look at football as a sport, but the reality is it's a business, and the corporation is tasked with maximizing profits. As a result, ticket prices are not going to be lowered; the owners and players are going to take a cut in pay out of the goodness of their hearts.

But if by some miracle this returned to being a sport first and business second, I would change this back in to a normal game. No more two weeks before the Super Bowl, play it a week after the conference championship, just like the rest of the season. Do away with or limit the half time show; halftime should last the same amount of time for the coaches and players as it does for every other game. Play the game at the home field of the team with the better record. Keep the ticket prices the same as a regular season game and every season ticket holder can purchase a seat. Why is football the only sport where championships take place on a neutral field?

Since the Super Bowl has evolved in to a national holiday, I do wish the starting time would change. The game ends at 10:00, fans of the winning team naturally want to continue to celebrate - and then everybody is expected to get up and be productive for work the next day. Ideally, play the game on Saturday (unless we can get rid of the current two week layoff) or at least start it earlier on Sunday. However, cities are putting up so much money to host the SB they want to keep fans there as long as possible, to get them to spend as much money as possible in return for their investment.

I suppose I should just be happy it's not like college football, where the game is played in the middle of the week, ends around midnight, and is played between two teams that haven't played in five weeks.