PDA

View Full Version : cowher praises big bens leadership

tony hipchest
12-28-2005, 10:43 AM
http://postgazette.com/pg/05362/628718.stm

great comments about ben from cowher. there was a thread a while back discussing if there was any tension or animosity between the qb and coach. this article should put that to rest. cowher says ben gives "us" confidence and "we" including himself with the whole team. interresting point on bens 3rd down throws too.

clevestinks
12-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Cowher praising Ben is awesome! I hope there is NO tension between the two. This would only lead to doom, if there was! Ben does seem to be a team leader, and the team plays with twice the confidence when he is in!

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Ben deserves this respect. He worked hard all year. Playing threw at hurt thumb that will have a ring here soon. Well I think He'll do well Sunday. As well as everyone else.

Prosdo
12-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Always nice when the coach mentions the confidence they have in a guy and how he is a leader.

BB2W
12-28-2005, 11:49 AM
It's good to here Cowher give Ben a pat on the back... I am one of the people who has questioned there relationship. I sometimes get the feeling that Ben rubs Cowher the wrong way, and I also think that Cowher had a man crush on Phillip Rivers prior to the draft. I heard Cowher compliment Ben for the first time not long ago, and he has said a lot of nice thing about him since. Cowher doesn't like to show his emotions, but I think he's starting to fall for Ben.

Ben gives Cowher a lot of things at the quarterback position that he's never had in his time in Pittsburgh. I think he relized that after he was injured and missing games...

clevestinks
12-28-2005, 12:56 PM
It's good to here Cowher give Ben a pat on the back... I am one of the people who has questioned there relationship. I sometimes get the feeling that Ben rubs Cowher the wrong way, and I also think that Cowher had a man crush on Phillip Rivers prior to the draft. I heard Cowher compliment Ben for the first time not long ago, and he has said a lot of nice thing about him since. Cowher doesn't like to show his emotions, but I think he's starting to fall for Ben.

Ben gives Cowher a lot of things at the quarterback position that he's never had in his time in Pittsburgh. I think he relized that after he was injured and missing games...
I hope that there isn`t a problem between the two. And you are right about Cowher and his emotions, with one exception, he use to kiss Kordells butt. I hope he has swallowed some pride and got on the Ben bandwagon

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2005, 01:05 PM
Cowher wears his emotions on his shirt sleeve, always has. he's as reserved as he has to be, since he's a head coach..but its definately nice to hear him praise Ben like he does other players too.

BB2W
12-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Cowher wears his emotions on his shirt sleeve, always has.
He does during the game, I was thinking as far as dealing with the media.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2005, 01:25 PM
Ben Deserves This Respect he has gotten from Coach Cowher. He is a better QB Then Maddox. And he fights threw the injuries he has unlike some QB's.

Koopa
12-28-2005, 02:41 PM

lol, damn i would've been so pissed if we would've got rivers, thank god the chargers are waterheads and let ben slide.

anyway, it's good to see that ben is gaining cowhers trust, maybe he'll start letting ben loose a little more in games instead of run run run run run run, which i don't mind if it's shitty teams, but we are gonna have to throw more against good teams

tony hipchest
12-28-2005, 03:14 PM
anyway, it's good to see that ben is gaining cowhers trust, maybe he'll start letting ben loose a little more in games instead of run run run run run run, which i don't mind if it's shitty teams, but we are gonna have to throw more against good teams this is true. if you look at the crappy teams ben has faced this season he is pretty much throwing around 200 yds and 2 td's/0 int by halftime thus alowwing them to run out the clock in the second half. i think cowher has intentionally loosened the reigns during the games agains inferior opposition just to get ben conditionned in case he has to throw for 386 yds like he did against the bengals. i dont put too much into the interceptions against indy or bengals (he was hurt) regardless of the pain look at players like b. farve and d. bledsoe who do stupid things with the ball. look how long its taken jake plummer to learn to throw it away rather than trying to force something. ben is way ahead of the curve.

Atlanta Dan
12-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Like most coaches (and most fans, certainly me), Cowher is very happy to discuss the Steelers when the Steelers are going well. The P-G article which I posted several weeks ago, in which tensions in the Ben-Cowher relationship were reviewed, came at a time when Cowher was ticked off about questions on the thumb and facing a wind-up to a season in which the Steelers presumably were going to miss the playoffs because Ben had, through legitimate but nonetheless disruptive injuries, missed games in which Tommy Gun wreaked havoc and misery.

A lot of Cowher's current sunshine is because he expects to be playing next weekend; hopefully he also recognizes for the future (the rest of this season & beyond) that while a running game is nice there is no substitute in today's NFL for a take charge QB.

It could all quickly turn again; Cowher was not wild about Ben after last season's AFC Championship loss despite Ben having saved the 2004 regular season.

BB2W
12-28-2005, 07:31 PM
This is a good article on the same topic...

This season, Roethlisberger appears to be peaking as the postseason approaches. He has not thrown an interception during the Steelers' three-game winning streak - one in which the team has outscored its opposition 80-12 - and his passer rating has not been below 99.0 in that time.

Roethlisberger's yards-per-attempt (8.93) and touchdown percentage (6.7 per 100 throws) lead the NFL. He's second in passer rating at 103.4, just 0.9 behind Peyton Manning.

"He is getting confidence and we feed off him," coach Bill Cowher said. "Ben is a leader out there for us, there is no question about that. I just like the frame of mind that he is in. He is a very focused player right now and needs to be. We are all kind of following his lead."

"That's the quarterback's job," said Ward, an eighth-year receiver and former Pro Bowler. "He's got to be a leader, a general on the field, and he's done a tremendous job. He encourages guys, picks guys up when they're down after a mistake. And he will be the first, if he makes a mistake, to say. 'My bad.' We have to go out and continue to follow his lead and hopefully he'll lead us to the promised land."

Defensive players, too, said they are affected by their quarterback's attitude. Though Roethlisberger is less than 16 months removed from his first NFL start, 12-year veteran Kimo von Oelhoffen acknowledged the team looks to Roethlisberger.

"I think he handles himself the way he should on and off the field," von Oelhoffen said. "We believe in him, just as he believes in us."

"They count on me," Roethlisberger said. "And I want them to count on me."

link-----> http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/local/13502532.htm

Koopa
12-28-2005, 07:41 PM
no no, it's not him it's his 2 yard throws to the wrs that he does all the time that is what's making him good remember?? :rolleyes: it's also good to see ben playing good at the right time, this time last year he was falling off after a great start. so everything is falling into place finally at the right time. and **** YOU to all the ben doubters

BB2W
12-29-2005, 12:58 AM
Good article, here are some quotes I liked...

"He's very good," Lions interim coach Dick Jauron said. "Very solid in the pocket, very comfortable, doesn't seem to rattle, strong arm."

"He is making good decisions," Cowher said. "He is gaining confidence, and we feed off him. I like the frame of mind he is in."

"Ben is a very focused player right now, and he needs to be," Cowher said. "We are all kind of following his lead.

"Being a leader on this team isn't just being a guy who's played six or seven years. It's the role that you have ... and how much of our success is associated with that. I like the way he is playing."

"I think, right now, Ben already is the face of this team," Bettis said. "I don't think I'm the face of this team; I'm a co-star right now. I'm riding on the bus this time."

"I'm not trying to take the leadership role away from Jerome, Alan and Hines," he said. "I want to come into the role when it's my turn. I think that slowly, it kind of has gotten passed on to me. Not that I'm the leader over those guys, but I'm equal with them or close to equal with them."

link-----> http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/s_408356.html

clevestinks
12-29-2005, 09:07 PM
It all sounds good to me! I like Ben also!

Prosdo
12-30-2005, 12:32 AM
Lots of good things about Ben. You gotta like that. This guy seems to be a great leader.

tony hipchest
12-30-2005, 01:02 AM
Good article, here are some quotes I liked...

think about all the teams in the nfl and ask yourself who the leader is. you will find some easy answers:

mcnair
farve
strahan
brady/bruschi
payton
mcnabb
r. lewis
urlacher/brown
taylor/thomas
brooks
martin
holt/faulk/bruce
farve

other teams you will find no answers:

arizona
detroit
browns
bills
vikings
texans
jags
bengals (palmer should be in the above column)
chargers
redskins
saints
denver

and then you have the steelers:

jerome
hines
faneca
hartings
porter
farrior
and now ben

point is with all other teams you have either 1 or 2 guys who jump out as destinctive leaders, or none who jump out at all. with the steelers you have atleast 4 or 5.

it is clear the steelers, patriots, and colts have the most veteran leadership. it explains alot of the franchises success (says alot about their head coaches also)