PDA

View Full Version : Where do I go in Pittsburgh??

SteelerfromIL
01-23-2009, 06:02 AM
I'm from IL and my wife and I are wanting to come out to Steel town and party with you guys in Steelerville for the super bowl:drink:. What is the best place to go see the game? Oh and what hotel would be the closest too.....thanks

Go Steelers

crzystlrfn39
01-23-2009, 09:46 AM
I too am a Steelers fan from IL. I have been there many times the last few years for games. A couple of places that we have stayed at are the Ramada, which is located by Melon Arena. Then there also is the Hilton which is actually the team hotel when they're in town. It's located right on the point. Good view! Maybe a few places to check out would be Ward's restaurant, Hi tops down by PNC park and maybe down in the wharehouse district where all the bars are at. Hope this helps some. Some of the hometown fans could probably help a little better.:tt03:

Pentheon
01-23-2009, 10:05 AM
If we win and you wanna be a part of what was going on last time, I would most likely go down South Side, I didn't get a chance to go down last time but it was crazy..

FingBEN
01-23-2009, 10:38 AM
I would go to any bar on the South Side. I was there when we won Super Bowl XL and it was insane. Everyone was partying on the steets, hugging each other. Good times!

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-23-2009, 10:45 AM
make sure you check out the strip district there is a whole lot of good food and steeler garb.

TheSteelCurtain
01-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Station Square would be a good spot for ya. If your willing to pay the cash to stay there also. A lot of bars in that little area and its not all that far from the Southside. 5 minute ride. You could even walk down if you really wanted to. Wouldnt suggest that however.

NateDawgK2
01-23-2009, 11:06 AM
definately the south side - they will block off the main drag of E Carson and it will be one huge party

Potsie
01-23-2009, 11:10 AM
make sure you check out the strip district there is a whole lot of good food and steeler garb.

Heading down there later today. :thumbsup:

TailgateMel
01-23-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm going to the North Shore to McFaddens.. (I reserved a VIP table). I figure if we want to, we can take a cab to the Southside after the game... most of the Bars on the southside are smaller... there are several bars on the NorthShore that are newer and have a bazillion TVs.

We are gonna take the Steeler Fan Van down, park in our usual spot we park for for gamedays, and go to McFaddens.. when I went to Detroit, we watched the game in an Irish bar, so I'm hoping the mojo will be with us by watching it in another "irish" bar.

memphissteelergirl
01-23-2009, 11:45 AM

I might be heading up to the 'Burgh for Draft Day. I heard there was a really good store to buy Pittsburgh sports gear (Steelers, Pens, etc.). All i know that it's in the Strip. Can anyone give me the name?

kittenfantastico76
01-23-2009, 12:11 PM
This all sounds like SO much fun - I SO wish I lived closer... like I used to

MJ5150
01-23-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm surprised they don't open up Heinz and let everyone watch it on the big screen.

Out here in Seattle, the Scoobyhawks opened their stadium for SB XL and let fans come in for like $5 a head to watch the game on the jumbotron.

-Mike

caseydog
01-23-2009, 10:54 PM
I have the same question. I lived in Pittsburgh in the 70s -- a great time to be a Steelers fan -- and I will be in the Steel City on super Bowl Weekend.

I am staying in a hotel downtown on the edge of the Strip District.

I plan to go visit my old neighborhoods early Sunday and on Monday, but really want to watch the game with some good fans in a cool place.

Since I left Pittsburgh 30-plus years ago, how far form my hotel area is the Southside, and any suggestions where to watch the game and meet some new friends would be greatly appreciated.

CD

z-dog
01-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Priceline - pick your price bid $80 - select downtown burgh, usually get by the mellon arena. Mcfaddens - north shore or Carson street saloon south side

caseydog
01-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Some hotels have Steelers packages. I was booked downtown, but cancelled that and did a package at the Sheraton at Station Square. That puts me close to a lot of stuff -- it seems (I hope).

It aint cheap -- $250 per night total with taxes. But, I'm not flying in all the way from Dallas to stay in the suburbs for cheap.

CD

TailgateMel
01-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Here is my kinda crappy drawing of the locations *I* see as places to go for the game.... (disclaimer: I don't know everything... this is pretty much just a thumbnail version of things)

http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=722&d=1232840172

The blue circle is the north shore area... most of the bars are closer to PNC park than heinz field... LOTS of parking.. in that area you have
- Bettis 36 grille (opened in last couple of years)
- McFaddens (opened in last couple of years)
-Soho (opened in last couple of years)
-Firewaters
-Bubba Uglys
-Finnegans Wake
Plus some other bars I'm sure I'm forgetting
I'm going to McFaddens because I know it will be easier to find a decent spot to watch the game on one of their bazillion big screen TVs.. plus ample parking, nice restrooms etc. etc.
Picture of Mcfaddens - North shore
http://www.barsmart.com/gfx/bars/2108/pictures/2108_01.jpg

The Yellow Circle is the Station Square area
The Sheraton is there, and it is a very nice area with many restaurants & bars, some older, some newer.... the Hard Rock cafe is down there too.
There is ample parking at Station square, huge lots
Station Square picture:
http://mediaroom.visitpa.com/files/bessemercourtatstationsquare_full.jpg

The Red Circle is the Strip District
That area is known more for it's "clubs" than just regular bars, but I'm sure everyplace is going to have the game... there are kinda "pockets" of places down there, there is a waterfront area then a bunch of bars along the main strip... the orignal primantis is there also along with shopping (during the day)
Strip district picture:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/210/441242593_f7c5edd091.jpg

The Green Circle is the Southside
A BAZILLION bars.. mostly in old buildings, although they did construct the new "southside works"... the southside is basically an endless strip of bars & restaurants along E. Carson Street... There is a parking garage at the southside works (which actually is not in the picture, it is farther east on E. Carson St.) and there are some other side parking lots.. but I'm sure it is going to be difficult to get around down there on Superbowl sunday.
Picture of the southside:
http://cache.virtualtourist.com/3611110-East_Carson_St-Pittsburgh.gif

Where to go is really up to your personal taste.. if you like LOTS of people... go the Southside.. it will be crazy... I'm sure all of the other areas will have plenty of people also.

KeiselPower99
01-24-2009, 06:44 PM
I have a quick question...Say we win where would the parade route be??

TailgateMel
01-24-2009, 07:42 PM
The previous parade route was:
The parade route begins at Mellon Arena on Centre Avenue, then heads down Fifth Avenue to Liberty Avenue, where it ends at Liberty & Commonwealth Place near the Point.

That IS NOT saying that is what it would be if we win.

KeiselPower99
01-24-2009, 10:52 PM
Also where are the good Steelers merch stores in Pittsburgh???

SuperSteelers
01-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Also where are the good Steelers merch stores in Pittsburgh???

The Strip District, by far. You can get anything Steelers there, and usually very good deals.

My father-in-law picked me up 2 shirts (Pittsburgh six-pack shirt and a 5 rinngs, no cheating shirt) for $20 last week.

stlrz fan
01-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Steel City Grille @ Station Square. Is the the old Woodsons?

stlrz fan
01-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Sorry, Steel House

TailgateMel
01-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Its the old Hooters... which is next to the old Woodsons that I think is now called sports rock? maybe? eitherway.. same basic location...

TheSteelCurtain
01-26-2009, 12:16 PM
These darn station square bars changing names once a month

msantoni
01-26-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm a reporter from the Tribune-Review (http://www.pghtrib.com) and I'm working on a story about people coming to Pittsburgh from out of town just to watch the Super Bowl. If any Steelers fans here on the forum want to share where they're coming from, where you're watching the game and what it is that makes it so much better to watch the game here in the capital of Steeler Nation, please reply to me through this forum or at msantoni@tribweb.com.

stlrz fan
01-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Its the old Hooters... which is next to the old Woodsons that I think is now called sports rock? maybe? eitherway.. same basic location...

SteelersHoss
01-26-2009, 07:21 PM
I am heading to Red Star at Station Square to watch the game. Driving in from Toronto.

TheSteelCurtain
01-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Red Star is now Saddleridge i believe.

caseydog
01-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks for all the good information. :applaudit:

A couple more things, if you don't mind.

Are the bars and clubs -- particularly those around Station Square -- requiring reservations to get in to watch the Super Bowl? If I want to watch the game someplace good, do I need to do anything now?

And... I have a room at the Sheraton SS -- is that a good place to watch a game?

TIA.

CD

SteelersHoss
01-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Red Star is now Saddleridge i believe.

Hmm, i called last week to book a table, and they said it was still called Red Star.

Avoid LLoyd1975
01-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Jerome Bettis Grille 36 right across from the stadium. Show up early!

KeiselPower99
01-30-2009, 09:36 PM
Jerome Bettis Grille 36 right across from the stadium. Show up early!

I so wanna go there and eat.

cydnub
01-31-2009, 12:15 AM
We came down from Philly for XL and went to some small random bar near stadium (the others were full) and had the best time. After the victory, no one cared that it was like 10 degrees out - we all just poured out into the street and acted like crazy idiots. This time, my other 2 traveling buds couldn't get out of work Monday, so I'll be solo'ing it. I picked the Holiday Inn Express on Carson St to be near the Southside. Look for the guy in the #39 jersey! GO STEELERS!!!