PDA

View Full Version : Sweed sticking with it: Big drop didn't shake rookie receiver

mesaSteeler
01-23-2009, 06:49 AM
Sweed sticking with it: Big drop didn't shake rookie receiver
By Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/2009-01-22-limas-sweed_N.htm

PITTSBURGH On his list of most egregious gaffes on a football field, Limas Sweed insists there is a moment worse than his blunder in the AFC title game.

Sweed, the Pittsburgh Steelers rookie receiver, dropped a perfect pass that would have resulted in a 50-yard touchdown late in the first half against the Baltimore Ravens last Sunday when he suddenly took his eyes off the floating football.

Call it the Immaculate Incompletion.

SUPER BOWL MATCHUPS: Who has edge? Steelers or Cardinals?

"It's not the worst drop I've had," said Sweed, tapping his memory bank.

Playing for his first football team in seventh grade, the Brenham (Texas) Cubs, Sweed caught a pass near his 5-yard line and raced in the direction of 90-plus pay dirt.

"Before I got to the end zone, boom the ball just popped out," Sweed remembers. "The other team recovered. That was the worst."

The stakes were just a bit higher last weekend. Add more than 40 million viewers, and it's conceivable that Sweed was floored more by embarrassment after his muff than by having his wind escape him. He lay on the turf until trainers arrived.

In any event, Sweed who didn't hit the oxygen tank after returning to the bench cost the Steelers their final timeout when he was treated on the field. Then poor time-management cost the Steelers a chance for a short field goal in a tight game, as the clock expired with the ball on 12-yard line as the half ended.

Here's to rookie lessons. The instant Sweed returned to the sideline, he received an earful from his heated coach, Mike Tomlin.

"He basically said, 'Try to get up and save the team a timeout when you fall down,' " Sweed said. "I guess I knew that was coming."

Sweed, a second-round pick from Texas who played extensively Sunday after go-to veteran Hines Ward was sidelined by a sprained knee, bounced back from his mistake with two attention-grabbing plays in the second half. He floored Corey Ivy with a punishing block at the end of a 30-yard catch by Heath Miller. Then he moved the chains with a 14-yard catch on a third-and-8 to dig out of a field-position hole.

"Obviously, I would've liked to have caught that pass," Sweed, still seeking his first NFL touchdown, said of the drop. "I'm coming in for Hines. AFC Championship Game. Rookie. Jacked-up. Things happen. People drop balls. It's not always what happened, but how you respond. If I had my head in the tank and stayed down on myself, maybe I don't get that block or make that catch. It's just growing pains."

Asked if he was impressed that Sweed responded well after the drop, Tomlin said, "I wish he would just catch the ball so that he doesn't have to respond Hats off to the guys for sticking with him and allowing him to be a part of this."

Although Ward has pledged to be ready for Super Bowl XLIII, Sweed realizes that circumstances could put him on the spot again against the Arizona Cardinals on the biggest stage in football. It is a long way from Brenham.

"You can look at it two ways," said Sweed, who played sparingly and caught just six passes during the regular season. "I'm out there running by dudes, getting open. I've just got to finish the plays. I'm glad I'm on a team like the Steelers, a great team, that can roll with my growing pains. Because I'll definitely be worth it My time is coming."

SCSTILLER
01-23-2009, 06:59 AM
OK, I really don't know how to feel about this article. One reason I feel good about it is that he seems to be able to shake off mistakes, which you need to do as a player/rookie. The reason I don't feel good about it is his "ahh, whatever" attitude. Maybe that is not the way it is intended, but that is what I got out of it. If it is "ahh, whatever" I am not happy with that, you had a chance to nail the coffin shut on the Ravens and you dropped the ball. If one comes your way in the SB, you better have Gorilla glue on your hands and catch the flipping ball.

OK, I am off the soap box now. Hope he wasn't the second of my opinions!

Steelcitygal87
01-23-2009, 07:28 AM
OK, I really don't know how to feel about this article. One reason I feel good about it is that he seems to be able to shake off mistakes, which you need to do as a player/rookie. The reason I don't feel good about it is his "ahh, whatever" attitude. Maybe that is not the way it is intended, but that is what I got out of it. If it is "ahh, whatever" I am not happy with that, you had a chance to nail the coffin shut on the Ravens and you dropped the ball. If one comes your way in the SB, you better have Gorilla glue on your hands and catch the flipping ball.

You have to remember though, he is still just a kid..a rookie. He is probably going to come across in ways that maybe he didn't intend to( it is often times difficult for players to handle the press). He does appear to have confidence in his abilities..that he can get the job done( which of course is a very good thing and something a player must possess). While I can't be sure about it, I don't think he meant to come across as having a ..'oh well stuff happens' kind of attitude. I think it is more a case of... he just doesn't want that drop to define what type of player he is and he wants the fans of Pittsburgh to not lose faith in him... that next time he is called upon he will get the job done. That is my take on the article. Just be patient with him, and have faith...time will tell.

GO Steelers!! :tt03::tt03:

Dino 6 Rings
01-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Rookie WRs never have "fantastic" years for the Steelers.

Hey, at least he didn't spike the ball after getting a catch and failing to the ground without being touched. Plaxico style.

Steelcitygal87
01-23-2009, 07:33 AM

Hey, at least he didn't spike the ball after getting a catch and failing to the ground without being touched. Plaxico style.

Yeah, I remember that Plaxico fiasco :doh:

KeiselPower99
01-23-2009, 07:39 AM

That is true Ill personally take the drops instead of the stupid blunders. Didnt Troy Edwards lead the Steelers in recieving his rookie year?? I know there was Hines Courtney Hawkins and Bobby Shaw that season. But for some reason Im thinking Edwards lead the team.

CPanther95
01-23-2009, 07:51 AM
DeShaun Jackson spiked the ball on the 1 yard line.:toofunny:

I think Sweed is just echoing the attitude that others were throwing at him from the team about shaking it off. I don't think it's a cavalier "not a big deal" attitude. It was a big screw up, and he knows his entire future is riding on his ability to improve.

CanadianSteel
01-23-2009, 07:54 AM
well one good thing is it appears he is able to get open at least..... if he can hold the rock maybe we have soemthing here and may need a play or 2 from him in the superbowl..

crzystlrfn39
01-23-2009, 09:02 AM
He definitely reminds me a lot of Plax. Hopefully he turns out to be a receiver like him without all the baggage and attitude. It was definitely good to see hime come back and lay out Ivy though ala Hines Ward tactic. Beautiful!

Curtain_of_Steel
01-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Being a little to hard on the kid. Holmes still drops passes, lol. Why do you think in a pressure situation we do not put him back on punts?

Good things will come of this.
1) BigBen went back to Sweed on a key pass late. Shows confidence, or the other 5 guys were covered?lol
2) The muff is better in a win, than a loss in the SB. If a loss the mental crap could kill the kid.
3) Will concentrate more, as he definately learned on several fronts.

He came back and redeemed himself, on the hit and the key catch.

Steelcitygal87
01-23-2009, 09:26 AM
He definitely reminds me a lot of Plax. Hopefully he turns out to be a receiver like him without all the baggage and attitude. It was definitely good to see hime come back and lay out Ivy though ala Hines Ward tactic. Beautiful!

Sweed does remind me a little of Plax too..build wise they are both tall and lanky receivers, and if I remember correctly, Plax used to drop a lot of balls earlier on in his career as well. I agree with you though about Plax having so much baggage and such a, in my opinion, lackadaisical attitude. He always came across as not caring too much, and not putting his heart and soul into his play. Never saw much passion from him. As you said I hope Sweed does turn out to be a great WR. Time will tell. All the talent and abilities/skills seem to be in place though..just a matter of developing them to their fullest. I LOVED that hit on Ivy too....he learned from the master! :tt03::tt03:

Michael Keller
01-23-2009, 09:26 AM
The comparison between Sweed and Palexico are physical only. They both have great physical abilities. Negative reports about Palexico were prominent even before he was drafted . He never became a true Steeler . One of the very few and look what happened to him.

Sweed needs an off season of personal work outs , working out with a veteran ideally Ward and mini camps and pre season camp to really maximize his on the field abilities. What little I have read about him is that he is eager to learn but pressing too hard. In short he has a good attitude and with that his awkwardness will go away and he should blosson. My hunch is that we are going to very pleased with Limas Sweed.

Bob Russell
01-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Sweed will be fine. Yeah it's upsetting when a player misses. But that will happen. I remember those boneheads spiking the ball. Now that was stupid!
Also, remember that when you read something, you are going to put YOUR expressions into it. Just like e-mails. They can be missleading.

Enough of that from me.
Let's go get number 6!!!!!

HometownGal
01-23-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm cutting him a little slack on that drop in the AFCC because he IS a rookie. If Santo or Nate had that same opportunity, they make the catch and a sure 6.

I'm not ready to give up on him - he clearly has talent. I'm happy to read that drop didn't shake the kid's confidence. Even if he is used minimally in XLIII, we're going to need him in some way.

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Ok everyone get off this kids back. I bet in everybody is thinking "Wow Desean Jackson is doing so good for the Eagles, why can't we get a rookie that produces that quickly?"

The answer is ....because we don't need a rookie WR on the field yet. Nate Washington has stepped up huge for the number 3 wr roll keeping Sweed on the sidelines.The guy has been on the field only a handful of times this season what do you expect from him. Ya he had a big drop, so what it happens, but to call this guy a BUST before he even gets started , Come on now

SteelersMongol
01-24-2009, 05:43 AM
Being a little to hard on the kid. Holmes still drops passes, lol. Why do you think in a pressure situation we do not put him back on punts?

1) BigBen went back to Sweed on a key pass late. Shows confidence, or the other 5 guys were covered?lol
2) The muff is better in a win, than a loss in the SB. If a loss the mental crap could kill the kid.

Right when he made that hit on Ivy, he was like "You Ravens' b*st*rds made lose that ball & this is what you'll get in return". :laughing:

steel striker
01-24-2009, 06:57 AM
I'm not going to give up on this guy and, yes he should have caught that pass. He is a rookie but, he showed some promise with acouple of catches and, a smash mouth hit after the drop. Maybe Sweed should find some stickum. lol What are they going to do put you in football jail? But really altleast it did not cost us the game. I know next time he will make that catch.

steelcityboyz
01-24-2009, 08:50 AM
I know Sweed is a Rookie, but he's also a professional and is paid rather handsomly to catch the ball. I'm not giving up on him so quickly, I know he will redeem himself.

SC Steeler Steve
01-24-2009, 10:23 AM

And lets not forget his 3 point saving INT breakup in the endzone.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-24-2009, 10:59 AM
. .

SO TRUE !!! Rookies in general arent fantastic for us. I can remember Troy dropping an INT that was passed right to him his rookie year in Cleveland. I was all over him, as Mike Doss, Ken Hamlin were other rookie safetys that were outplaying him.

Timmons, Holmes, Simmons, Hampton, Burress all struggled their rookie seasons. Only Ben and Miller seemed to be impact guys in their rookie season. I trust Sweed will improve greatly next season.

fansince'76
01-24-2009, 11:03 AM

Agreed - Louis Lipps is about the only exception that I can think of.

GodofGridiron
01-24-2009, 11:06 AM
We Fans are just fed up with all the drops we've seen this year. We seen enough of em from Nate and the last thing we wanna hear are excuses for a rookie we spent a 2nd round pick on. Hell, we couldve signed a reciever off the street to make a catch like that. I dont mean to come across so harsh but he's dropped more than 1 pass like that one over the shoulder wide open behind the defender. I do recall there was some discussion during camp about his visual accuity, so that may play a role in his dropsies. His tryout period is over.........this is the grand stage, Limas. You have no choice but to step up. Make an impact in this, the biggest game of your young career.

Paul Pyrch
01-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Absolutely agree. I think with a little patience on the part of everybody that he will turn out to be a fine receiver. Give him a chance to mature a bit.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Agreed - Louis Lipps is about the only exception that I can think of.

Hey, what about Troy Edwards? I remember him having some exciting kick returns and did some great things after the catch in his rookie season.................it was all downhill from there. :doh:

The fact that Jon Tait is still a good O lineman in the NFL haunts me on that one. :banging:

BlastFurnace
01-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Hey, what about Troy Edwards? I remember him having some exciting kick returns and did some great things after the catch in his rookie season.................it was all downhill from there. :doh:

The fact that Jon Tait is still a good O lineman in the NFL haunts me on that one. :banging:

Agree. Troy had a pretty good rookie year as well. Edwards had talent, but had a bad attitude. He could have had a 500+ catch career in the NFL if he had his head on straight.

Preacher
01-24-2009, 02:36 PM

Actually, You can blame that on Ward. Ward called Sweed over to him and said, "Get that the F**** out of your mind now and play some football." IT was on the NFL channel a few times.

Basically, Sweed was following Ward's teaching. I think it was pretty smart of him to be teachable like that.

fansince'76
01-24-2009, 02:39 PM

Yep, you're right - I forgot Edwards. :doh: I guess Lipps stood out in my mind as he won the OROY award in '84.

stillers4me
01-24-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm not worried about him yet. I saw where Hines went right up to him and had a few words about it. I just hope Hines can play at least at 90% and we don't have to rely on Sweed to make any crucial catches this time around. He did have a couple of good plays in the Ravens game.......he'll be fine,

LVSteelersfan
01-24-2009, 03:27 PM
In my mind it is not so much that he dropped just that ball. He has dropped two perfect passes in the playoffs. That is unacceptable. I certainly am not saying he is a bust, but COME ON SWEED. Get your head out. I want him to do well because we are probably going to lose Washington this year to free agency. I don't see the Steelers spending the bucks to keep him.

Galax Steeler
01-25-2009, 06:23 AM
I have to say I have alot of faith in Sweed he may have dropped that pass but did you see how he got that open he threw a fake on the deffender and sprinted down the field he is still in the learning stages of the game he will be fine.