PDA

View Full Version : Electricity or lack thereof...

WisconsinSteelerMan
01-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Hey all!

Just an observation from a "lifer"... I am excited about the Super Bowl and my family is as well (despite living in the middle of Cheeseland). Do you notice that there is excitement about the Super Bowl, but not quite as much as in 2006 leading up to our "droughtbuster" in Super Bowl XL? I think that in 2006, it had been so long since we had been in the game, much less won it, that we were all so electified about it. Couple that with the fact that we were #6 seed and took the "roundabout road" to the bowl, and you could just add to that electricity again.

This year, it seems that everyone is excited (heck, we still have more than a week until the game is played!) but not quite as juiced as in 2006...

What do you all think?

Mike in La Crosse, WI

TailgateMel
01-23-2009, 11:51 AM
I think.....

everytime I see your avatar I think you are Murray from Flight of the Conchords

Seriously... *maybe*... though it is gaining & gaining... I think the whole "Bettis is from Detroit and this is his last year" thing really led to more hype the last time...

But it is still SteelerMania here... I would say we are at least at 90% from 2006...

fansince'76
01-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Well, it's only been a 3-year "drought" this time around. I think there's naturally going to be more anticipation over something when folks have waited 10 years for another appearance (with 3 losses in the AFCCG between those appearances) and 26 years for a win in the big game. :noidea:

atlsteelers
01-23-2009, 12:22 PM
this week i have been able to get most of my work done without being too distracted but by next week i expect my excitement level and nervousness too greatly increase

oldschool
01-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Last time around I think we "Shocked the World", and the fan base ,being the sixth seed on the road. I don't think many were expecting us to make to the dance. This time the idea of playing the AFC championship at home against a team we had beaten twice before may have given the fans the notion that a return trip to the Super Bowl was a given, I for one was postive we could beat the Ratbirds, ( will admit the 4th quarter made me pretty edgy, but we prevailed). I think the excietment will build during the coming week as we collectively catch our breath.

Steelers
01-23-2009, 12:42 PM
I don't see how the Steelers could ever top the 2005 run. The team hadn't won a Lombardi in 30 years, Pittsburgh got revenge on the Bengals and Colts, they were the 6th Seed road warriors, and the Hall of Fame runningback was on the cusp of retirement with the Super Bowl being played in his hometown.

If I didn't see it for myself, I would swear it's something a movie writer dreamt up.

This year, it's all about DYNASTY.

stlrtruck
01-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Dude, come to Tampa where every Steelers fan I know is looking for tickets or making huge plans for a party!!!

westcoastransplant
01-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Dude, come to Tampa where every Steelers fan I know is looking for tickets or making huge plans for a party!!!

I wish I had the money and time to go to Tampa, even if I couldn't score tickets. Besides having the SB, Tampa is one of my favorite cities to visit.

I hate waiting for 2 weeks for a game to be played. I could hardly wait for the AFCCG and that was only a week. At least we have the NHL All Star Game this weekend but Sid's not playing in it which sucks big time.

kittenfantastico76
01-23-2009, 12:54 PM
I've been extremely excited about this - but it's a bit difficult when I'm not surrounded by fans here in Alabama... my boyfriend is a new fan... so that helps, but most of my friends back home in MD want to kill me.. .(ie Raven fans)... so I'm happy I have a place (here) to vent my excitement!!!!

Next week I'll be over the moon even more so - however I may be stuck in Jury Duty all week... ick!!!! So I'll be hyped, but bored at the same time I'm sure.... I wonder if telling the judge "I can't make a fair judgment of this trial, I have the Super Bowl on my brain" will get me out of jury duty :wink:

DACEB
01-23-2009, 01:15 PM
For me it's the fact that I have no dislike for 'the Steelers west'. I like Whiz, Warner, Fitz and Edge. They have a great story line as well.

Somebody, give me something to hate on!

GutterflowerSteel
01-23-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm pretty stoked - and so are the handful of Steelers fans in my office. I'm even considering going with a couple of them up to the Burgh for the game :tt02: Of course, we've got a bunch of disgruntled Raisins fans *BWAHAHAHAAAA* who are moping around :flap: (EFF 'em - you should have heard them before the game - and not a peep afterwards - bunch of sore losin' candyasses lol)

Hines4ever
01-23-2009, 01:21 PM
this week i have been able to get most of my work done without being too distracted but by next week i expect my excitement level and nervousness too greatly increase

Not me.....was pretty distracted all this week.....already put myself way in debt by buying Steeler stuff.....get chills everytime I hear the new "Here We Go".....tears came to my eyes seeing Troy on the cover of SI.....began plannng my super bowl game menu today, became cheif organizer in my work SB party....where I might add, I am only 1 of two steeler fans with Raven and Philly fans all around.....don't know what kind of shape I will be in next week......
:tt02:

BlastFurnace
01-23-2009, 01:55 PM
For me it's the fact that I have no dislike for 'the Steelers west'. I like Whiz, Warner, Fitz and Edge. They have a great story line as well.

Somebody, give me something to hate on!

Well...Sean Morey is on their roster. It's not much to hate on, but it's something.

BlastFurnace
01-23-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm pretty pumped up about it.

This is like a Bye Week. Wait until next week. It will pick up.

DACEB
01-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Well...Sean Morey is on their roster. It's not much to hate on, but it's something.

Wait a minute.... didn't Brian St.Pierre give our playbook to the Ravens?

I bet he's sold the darn thing on e-bay!!

I can't wait to see him go down!!

That's it, I want Warner knocked out of the game. And then I want Lienert knocked out of the game. When we finally get that traitor St.Pierre in the game... it's lights out!!

I hate the Cards!! Whiz is enabling the whole thing!!

jjpro11
01-24-2009, 12:49 AM
nothing can top 2005, unless we go another 30 years without a super bowl.. there were a lot of steelers fans then that had never seen the steelers win a super bowl.

having said that, i dropped over a couple hundred bucks on steelers stuff and have been watching espn all week.. yes, most of the people on there are douche bags.. but its the only sports network on tv, and next week everything will be filmed in tampa and relating to the super bowl.

TheSteelCurtain
01-24-2009, 02:54 AM
I agree with what everyone was saying about Super Bowl XL. It was just magic.

But ill tell ya what i was at hines field today for the pepe rally and half the stadium was pretty excited. Not to mention everytime i wear steelers garb out i get honked at our waved at or screamed at.

Steeler Nation is definately pumped for this. I think its like we got over the hump now we just take care of business.

That was a tomlin line. haha

PoundinSteel
01-24-2009, 09:35 AM
I like the fact that the Steelers seem very business like which I feel is having a trickle down effect. They are not just happy to be in the SB, seem very focused and will not let the excitement over ride the task at hand. There is an air of confidence about this team that i have not seen for a long time, even the 2005 team.

GodofGridiron
01-24-2009, 12:34 PM
If you cant wrap your mind and excitement around the possibility that this franchise, with its next win, would stand ALONE as the sole winner of 6 world titles, then something is severely wrong with you. Perpahs the run in 2005 was magical, but this season here could be very very rewarding and special with the hoisting of number 6. No franchise can rival that.

HughC
01-24-2009, 09:15 PM
If you cant wrap your mind and excitement around the possibility that this franchise, with its next win, would stand ALONE as the sole winner of 6 world titles ... No franchise can rival that.
Let's be careful how we phrase things, because everybody loves to take shots at whoever is king of the hill - especially if we go around proclaiming how great we are. Yes, the Steelers will be the first team to have won six Super Bowls, but there are four other franchises that have won more championships; the Packers can still more than rival our number of world titles - by a two to one margin.

noto45
01-24-2009, 09:31 PM
we will never top superbowl XL! but we will topple the cardinals for number six!!