PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry, I just have to ask.

Edman
01-23-2009, 11:54 AM
How in the hell were the Steelers able to get Lamarr Woodley in the second round at pick 46? Dude fell big time. I swear I never thought we'd be able to get him.

I'm looking over his college highlights and the guy is awesome. Just as he is right now.

Dino 6 Rings
01-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Michigan's defense took a lot of lumps that year in general, so a ton of Michigan guys dropped that season in the draft.

He's a beast, no doubt, and as for Tomlin's first 2 draft picks, I'm a huge fan so far.

If Mendenhall and Sweed do half as good as Woodley and Timmons are doing at their postions, we have years of good things ahead of us.

drizze99
01-23-2009, 11:57 AM
We got real lucky IMO. Steelers have been good (for the most part) at finding a very good defensive end in college and converting them to outside LB. The only failure that comes to mind is Alonzo Jackson.

Timmons (1st) and Woodley (2nd) in the same draft... thats as good as it gets.

Crushzilla
01-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Ya. I was shocked when we got him in round two.

I didn't start following college talent closely until this year, but Woodley was a name you heard all the time on ESPN at Michigan.

Glad we have him, though!

The linebacking core has been replenished, and I couldn't be happier.

CPanther95
01-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Divine intervention. God is a Steelers fan.

lilyoder6
01-23-2009, 12:02 PM
woodly was a de and his hand down for his college career.. and most "experts" thought he wouldn't make a good transition 2 olb..

revefsreleets
01-23-2009, 12:03 PM
I think Wood was viewed more as a "splash" player, more of a big playmaker and less as an every down contributor.

His size and speed were also knocks, but that is yet another example of people falling in love with combine crap and ignoring "game speed".

How many teams would (and did and still do) ignore a guy who's 6' or 6'1" as an OLB? How many of those teams would NOW sell their souls to have our 6' and 6'1" OLB's?

Polamalu Princess
01-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Divine intervention. God is a Steelers fan.

I could not agree more!!!!:drink:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2009, 12:13 PM
He was a victim of "poor combine showing" and teams ignoring his game film.

Lamarr Woodley's draft stock is taking a beating and rightfully so. The speculation before the combine was Woodley's recent workouts were so bad he would not even attempt to perform at the Combine. He did nothing other then get measured and medically checked out. Coming on the heels of pulling out of the Senior Bowl after a sore hamstring during the week's first practice, Woodley could drop out of the first two rounds.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/02/26/combine/

Then Woodley had a good pro day which backed up what he did on film at Michigan. Here is the report.

Nfl.com’s Gil Brandt reported that Woodley ran a 40 in 4.74 and 4.84 seconds. Woodley is the type of player who was extremely productive in college, but questions on his role in the NFL are impacting his status. The War Room Report sees Woodley much as 2006 prospect Elvis Dumervil, who was drafted by the Denver Broncos in the 4th round and notched 8.5 sacks in his rookie season. Woodley’s collegiate production can not be ignored and he is actually bigger than Dumervil. Some team is going to get a steal with the Michigan product. http://warroomreport.com/blog/category/draft/pro-day-results/

BlastFurnace
01-23-2009, 12:51 PM
He was probably looked upon as a Tweener. Too small to play DE and too big to play OLB...for most teams.

lilyoder6
01-23-2009, 01:01 PM
the man is playing great at 265 and moves nicely..

crzystlrfn39
01-23-2009, 02:05 PM
The guy was also Big 10 defensive player of the year!

MDSteel15
01-23-2009, 02:24 PM
How in the hell were the Steelers able to get Lamarr Woodley in the second round at pick 46? Dude fell big time. I swear I never thought we'd be able to get him.

I'm looking over his college highlights and the guy is awesome. Just as he is right now.

We got him the same way Miami got Marino, people believed the bullsh@t and passed on him! :thumbsup:

KeiselPower99
01-23-2009, 07:55 PM
He was a LB until his senior year. So he had experiance at the postion. Anyways I felt from day 1 he was the stud of that draft.

JPSEMP
01-23-2009, 08:00 PM
We got real lucky IMO. Steelers have been good (for the most part) at finding a very good defensive end in college and converting them to outside LB. The only failure that comes to mind is Alonzo Jackson.

Timmons (1st) and Woodley (2nd) in the same draft... thats as good as it gets.

Huey Richardson ranks right up there with Alonzo.

BIGIRON98
01-23-2009, 09:37 PM
if you think about it how many great NFL players really come out of Michigan? just ask a Browns fan what they thought of Edwards this year

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2009, 11:57 PM
if you think about it how many great NFL players really come out of Michigan? just ask a Browns fan what they thought of Edwards this year

Steve Hutchison, Jumbo Elliot, Charles Woodson, Ty Law, Keith Bostic, Jake Long, John Jansen, Tom Brady, Jim Harbaugh, Amani Toomer, Elvis Grbac, Desmond Howard, Anthony Carter, Dan Dierdorf, Cato June, Dhani Jones, Jon Runyan, Larry Foote, Ian Gold, Leon Hall, Jerame Tuman, Steve Breaston, Marlin Jackson, David Harris, Brian Griese, Todd Collins.

Some are pro bowlers, some all pro and some just manage to play in the NFL for a decade.

HughC
01-24-2009, 12:08 AM
There's only about a half dozen teams that are capable of doing their own player analysis well. The two dozen other teams keep tripping over their own feet, probably looking at what Mel Kiper has to say. That's why you see the same teams in the playoffs year after year despite all the attempts of parity to get every team to the playoffs at least once every three or four years.

A few teams have figured out how to scout and manage the cap; the rest have not.

TheSteelCurtain
01-24-2009, 01:39 AM
I think a lot of teams were not sure what to do with woodly. And he workes best in a 3-4 scheme too. Not saying he couldnt play anything differant.

I made a post about this earlier with some interesting Steeler Draft Facts.

But think about it we have been so good in the draft. I cant think of a team that has done better. We drafted our entire starting defense aside from Farrior, Ryan Clark, Harrison. (and harrison was a rookie free agent pickup so that is pretty close.) Even Dime players like William Gay, Deshea, Tyron Carter all draft picks. And on Offense (skill players) Everyone Besides Mewelde. Im pretty sure Carey and Russel were rookie free agent pickups.

One reason the Steelers are so consistent is because we dont go out and make high risk trades or bidding war free agent battles. Or rent a players. (kiss my ass hossa)

Big WHOOO for our Scouts not 100 percent sure on their names.

SteelersinCA
01-24-2009, 02:56 AM
Woodley is going to be an absolute BEAST. You could argue that he is now. Him and Harrison are going to be good together for a long long time. Rarely does a team have the talent to shut down two outside rushers and a good D line.

I hope Casey Hampton loses some weight though for training camp next year. Hampton plugs the middle and Woodley and Harrison crash the outside, it's a beautiful thing!!

steelerdave1969
01-24-2009, 03:36 AM
He was probably looked upon as a Tweener. Too small to play DE and too big to play OLB...for most teams.

That seems to be the kind of player that the Steelers love to get their hands on isnt it?... I think the Steelers do the best in the league at seeing what a player/LB can do or be in the NFL and in their 3-4 defense. They do a great job of training the player to be what they need them to be. I was kind of skeptical about giving a 2nd year OLB the starting spot in the Steelers defense because it usually takes them longer to adjust, but this guy is special and I look forward to him being a terror to offense for many years to come..

Galax Steeler
01-24-2009, 04:44 AM
I have to say I was shocked that we were still able to get Woodley when we did the year he had this year and he will only get better the sack record could be in danger before his time is done.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-24-2009, 06:26 AM
People weren't sure about him as a DE or OLB. He was looked at as to small to be an effective DE, but to big to be an effective OLB.

We definatly got the steal of the draft with him. He's going to be a great one. I was more excited about Woodley than I was about Timmons, and I was excited about Timmons to!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Woodley is going to be an absolute BEAST. You could argue that he is now. Him and Harrison are going to be good together for a long long time. !!

2009 is the final year of James Harrison's contract and the NFL defensive player of the year will be 31 and a FREE AGENT. A long time might mean 2 years.