PDA

View Full Version : TX HS girls basketball team seeks to forfeit 100-0 win

BrandonCarr39
01-23-2009, 02:38 PM
http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=903780

DALLAS -- A Texas high school girls basketball team on the winning end of a 100-0 game has a case of blowout remorse.

Now officials from The Covenant School say they are trying to do the right thing by seeking a forfeit and apologizing for the margin of victory.

"It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened," Kyle Queal, the head of the school, said in a statement, adding the forfeit was requested because "a victory without honor is a great loss."

The private Christian school defeated Dallas Academy last week. Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.

A parent who attended the game told The Associated Press that Covenant continued to make 3-pointers -- even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

"I think the bad judgment was in the full-court press and the 3-point shots," said Renee Peloza, whose daughter plays for Dallas Academy. "At some point, they should have backed off."

Dallas Academy coach Jeremy Civello told The Dallas Morning News that the game turned into a "layup drill," with the opposing team's guards waiting to steal the ball and drive to the basket. Covenant scored 12 points in the fourth quarter and "finally eased up when they got to 100 with about four minutes left," he said.

Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.

There is no mercy rule in girls basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become lopsided. There is, however, "a golden rule" that should have applied in this contest, said Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school athletics in Texas.

"On a personal note, I told the coach of the losing team how much I admire their girls for continuing to compete against all odds," Burleson said. "They showed much more character than the coach that allowed that score to get out of hand. It's up to the coach to control the outcome."

In the statement on the Covenant Web site, Queal said the game "does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition. We humbly apologize for our actions and seek the forgiveness of Dallas Academy, TAPPS and our community."

Covenant coach Micah Grimes did not immediately respond to a message left by The Associated Press on Thursday.

Queal said school officials met with Dallas Academy officials to apologize and praised "each member of the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team for their strength, composure and fortitude in a game in which they clearly emerged the winner."

Civello said he appreciated the gesture and has accepted the apology "with no ill feelings."

At a shootaround Thursday, several Dallas Academy players said they were frustrated during the game but felt it was a learning opportunity. They also said they are excited about some of the attention they are receiving from the loss, including an invitation from Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to see an NBA game from his suite.

"Even if you are losing, you might as well keep playing," said Shelby Hyatt, a freshman on the team. "Keep trying, and it's going to be OK."

Peloza said the coach and other parents praised the Dallas Academy girls afterward for limiting Covenant to 12 points in the fourth quarter. She added that neither her daughter nor her teammates seemed to dwell on the loss.

"Somewhere during that game they got caught up in the moment," Peloza said of the Covenant players, fans and coaches. "Our girls just moved on. That's the happy part of the story."

SteelCityMan786
01-23-2009, 02:56 PM
So Basically they want to punish the team for playing hard all game long??? Wow.

stlrtruck
01-23-2009, 03:25 PM
So Basically they want to punish the team for playing hard all game long??? Wow.

It's the winning coach that is looking to forfeit the game, not the losers.

It seems the losing coaches and players did what good sportsman do. They continued to play until the final whistle.

SteelCityMan786
01-23-2009, 03:35 PM
It's the winning coach that is looking to forfeit the game, not the losers.

It seems the losing coaches and players did what good sportsman do. They continued to play until the final whistle.

No, I'm stating the winners doing that. They did what they had to do, the other team didn't.

Preacher
01-23-2009, 03:38 PM
I love this story. It is teaching class along with competition.

Someone send this story the Belicheck.

CaliStillersFan
01-23-2009, 03:51 PM
I don't understand? Why would the winning team request the forfeit when they were the one shooting three's in the 4th quarter? What kind of message does this send to young athletes? That when they totally give up and don't try at all, we will reward you with a pity win? Lowering test scores needed to pass, now forfeiting because we beat you too badly. Our educational system is FUBAR!

Preacher
01-23-2009, 03:59 PM
I don't understand? Why would the winning team request the forfeit when they were the one shooting three's in the 4th quarter? What kind of message does this send to young athletes? That when they totally give up and don't try at all, we will reward you with a pity win? Lowering test scores needed to pass, now forfeiting because we beat you too badly. Our educational system is FUBAR!

No, it teaches class.

When we are up by 70 points. You don't keep hitting threes and putting out a FULL COURT PRESS.

You play a traditional, half court game. You eat up the clock on offense with passes, and then shoot from within the arc to only put up two points. It is about having respect for those whom you play against. It is about showing class to the opponents in victory-- This is the EXACT same thing as Booing President Bush when he was at President Obama's inauguration.

At least there are some people who recognize that.

This isn't about hitting too hard. This ISNT about failing test scores. This is about a recreational sport, against KIDS who have social, developmental, or learning dysfunctions.

CaliStillersFan
01-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Yeah I understand that Preacher, but why run up the score, run the press, shoot 3's late into the 4th quarter with your starters, and then after the fact decide it wasn't sportsman-like? If they wanted to show good sportsmanship that should have happened during the game, not by requesting a forfeit after the fact. To me this just magnifies their poor sportsmanship during the game. The coach should have had back ups in by the 2nd half that don't normally get to play. But the coach didn't do that. Instead opting to continue to run up the score. This was pathetic all the way around.

Preacher
01-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Yeah I understand that Preacher, but why run up the score, run the press, shoot 3's late into the 4th quarter with your starters, and then after the fact decide it wasn't sportsman-like? If they wanted to show good sportsmanship that should have happened during the game, not by requesting a forfeit after the fact. To me this just magnifies their poor sportsmanship during the game. The coach should have had back ups in by the 2nd half that don't normally get to play. But the coach didn't do that. Instead opting to continue to run up the score. This was pathetic all the way around.

Ahh... Sorry, I didn't get your point.

Notice, it was the administration of the school that is seeking the forfeit. I think it is somewhat a slap in the face of the coach.

And you are exactly right. They shouldn't have ran up the score. I think that is why teh administration stepped in. Of course, if any of them were there at the game, they should have pulled the coach aside DURING THE GAME.

Somehow, i think they weren't, and only found out about it afterwards.

Preacher
01-23-2009, 07:10 PM
If they had some back ups in there and made it 100-0 then they shouldn't have anything to apoligize about. What are you supposed to tell your team as a coach "Ok everyone, great game but let them score some points and don't play so hard!"? I bet every girl on the losing side of that game shows up to practice and is motivated like never before. It's what pushes us to make ourselves better.

No, like I said. You stop shooting threes and chew the clock up. You DONT play the press.

I have been on both sides of that kind of score playing hockey. It isn't fun.

CantStop85
01-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Stories like this make me sick. If everyone was a winner, there would be no reason to play the game. That's why it's a game...there's a winner and a loser.

Running up the score wasn't exactly the most sportsmanlike move, but if I were on the losing team I still wouldn't want to accept a pity win. I would take that as more of an insult than anything else.

Preacher
01-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Stories like this make me sick. If everyone was a winner, there would be no reason to play the game. That's why it's a game...there's a winner and a loser.

Running up the score wasn't exactly the most sportsmanlike move, but if I were on the losing team I still wouldn't want to accept a pity win. I would take that as more of an insult than anything else.

Let's hope Tomlin remembers that next time the Steelers play the Bungles :wink02: :rofl:

CantStop85
01-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Let's hope Tomlin remembers that next time the Steelers play the Bungles :wink02: :rofl:

If the Steelers beat the Bengals 100-0 next season I will respectfully resign my position as a Bengals fan. :flap:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-24-2009, 01:20 PM
The point is showing class in defeat and in victory...period.

My Son's football team lost one game this year. (The coach benched 5 starters for not meating his grade point standards...which are more strict then the districts standards)

In that loss we learned alot of things...working hard until the last whistle....responsibility...and the results of letting your teammates down.

We were down by 17 points with 1:30 left in the fouth quarter and the other team decided to on-side kick the kickoff.....very bush league.

Running up the score is not good sportsmanship at any level of competition. Now I am by no means a person who believes that we need to have a society of "no winners and no losers". Competition is great and brings out the best in people.

But it is never acceptable to go beyond the proper levels of sportsmanship to "prove" how good you are. As Preacher said...that was exactly what Belichick was doing to thumb his nose at the league in regards to his fine for cheating.

The only good thing that comes from running the score up...is that it becomes an negative object lesson on unsportsmanlike conduct.

The Patriot
01-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Someone send this story [to] Belicheck.

Maybe then he'll stop running up the score on little girls. :flap:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Maybe then he'll stop running up the score on little girls. :flap:

Maybe if you would have played "little girls".........you might have made the playoffs.:noidea:

section514
01-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Would anyone be upset if we beat the Browns 100-0? and continued to blitz and throw passes?

Preacher
01-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Would anyone be upset if we beat the Browns 100-0? and continued to blitz and throw passes?

Yes, I would.

We are a class organization. it would bring disrespect on teh Rooneys.

Period.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Yes, I would.

We are a class organization. it would bring disrespect on teh Rooneys.

Period.

how about if it was the Cheatriots*?

SteelTalons
01-24-2009, 04:21 PM
I dont see whats disrespectful about this. They only lost 100-0. Its not like its... 200-0.
100 is a fairly common score in a basketball game. And they got most of of 3's?

The Steelers have beaten people 30 plus to nothing before. I think if Im not mistaken back in the 70s we beat the Colts in the playoffs 45 to 0. Such horrible sportsmanship they could have shown mercy!

I dont blame the crowd for cheering louder as they got toward 100. Its in bad sportsmanship... Bad sportsmanship to me is being a sore loser after you get your can kicked and this sounds like a LOT of sore losers.

Maybe someone should have let the Lions win a game... Everyone is such monsters for letting them go winless... :doh:

The Patriot
01-24-2009, 04:42 PM
how about if it was the Cheatriots*?

If you could do it, then sure. I want every team the Patriots play to try to beat the Pats down 100-0. So every time we don't get beat 100-0, we know its because we stopped the other team, not because the other team stopped themselves.

Preacher
01-24-2009, 04:49 PM
I dont see whats disrespectful about this. They only lost 100-0. Its not like its... 200-0.
100 is a fairly common score in a basketball game. And they got most of of 3's?

The Steelers have beaten people 30 plus to nothing before. I think if Im not mistaken back in the 70s we beat the Colts in the playoffs 45 to 0. Such horrible sportsmanship they could have shown mercy!

I dont blame the crowd for cheering louder as they got toward 100. Its in bad sportsmanship... Bad sportsmanship to me is being a sore loser after you get your can kicked and this sounds like a LOT of sore losers.

Maybe someone should have let the Lions win a game... Everyone is such monsters for letting them go winless... :doh:

May I suggest you go back and read the article again, because there are a number of things you are saying which makes no sense to the original article.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-24-2009, 04:54 PM

They beat a team of special needs students....Im sure they could have eased up a bit once they were up 50 - 0 or put in the backups that never get a chance to play (maybe they did)

Really its the coaches fault for not scheduling games where their team would have a chance to win....

On the other hand..... The girls that got beat???? Is it better to lose every game and play.... or not play at all..............at least there getting the chance to go out and have fun..