PDA

View Full Version : Cardinal Maida backs beloved Steelers

mesaSteeler
01-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Friday, January 23, 2009
Cardinal Maida backs beloved Steelers
Gregg Krupa / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- The former Michigan All-Americans Larry Foote and LaMarr Woodley, both starting inside linebackers for the Pittsburgh Steelers, are receiving rave reviews and rare praise from a guy who ought to know -- Adam Cardinal Maida, archbishop of Detroit.

Maida, who has maintained season-tickets for the Steelers since 1960 -- though two of his nephews have mostly used them for the past 25 years -- still follows his beloved Steelers with vigor, including when they won the Super Bowl in Detroit three years ago.

"I just love those two guys, really," Maida said. "They have made all of the difference on defense.

"Woodley is going to be a great one. He's going to be up there with Jack Lambert," he said, comparing Woodley with the retired Hall of Fame linebacker, whom Steelers' fans consider immortal.

Maida, 78, had two bits of good luck recently: Not only does he finally get to retire, a few years after submitting his papers to the Vatican; he won two Super Bowl tickets in the lottery for season-ticket holders conducted by the Steelers.

"But I am not going -- I don't think so," Maida said. "I'll let my nephews figure out how they're going to get there and what they are going to do."

Find this article at:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090123/SPORTS0101/901230436

Steel Mountain
01-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Man, I REALLY wish the Bishop Maida would attend! Him w/ a TT in hand would surely seal the fate of the funny looking red birds.

SteelersMongol
01-24-2009, 12:42 AM
Nice.

Man, I REALLY wish the Bishop Maida would attend! Him w/ a TT in hand would surely seal the fate of the funny looking red birds.

Yes, he should. :thumbsup:

drizze99
01-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Yea no kidding... that would be a site to see!

TheSteelCurtain
01-24-2009, 02:56 AM
I heard the pope, ghandi, muhammed, deepak chopra and L Ron hubbard are also all die hard steeler fans.