PDA

View Full Version : Herm Edwards fired

nojobny
01-23-2009, 05:55 PM
no shocker there.

Chiefs fire head coach Edwards after three seasons
NFL.com

One month after ending a disappointing 2-14 season, the Kansas City Chiefs announced Friday that Herm Edwards has been fired as head coach.

"Since my arrival last week, Herm and I have had several conversations as part of my overall evaluation of the football operation," new Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli said in a statement released by the team. "After careful consideration, (Chiefs chairman) Clark (Hunt) and I felt that it was best to make a change."

Added Hunt: "This was not an easy decision. Herm is an outstanding football coach and a man of integrity. We appreciate his leadership over the past three seasons, and we wish him all the best in the future."

Edwards leaves Kansas City with a 15-33 regular-season record in three seasons, with an 0-1 record in the playoffs.

Edwards arrived in Kansas City after a five-year stint as head coach of the New York Jets (2001-05). He compiled a 39-41 regular-season record with the Jets and was 2-3 in the playoffs.

Including his 2-4 playoff mark, he owns a 56-77 overall record as an NFL head coach.

Edwards' firing means 11 NFL teams will make head-coaching changes this season, a league record.

link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80e4f977&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

RoethlisBURGHer
01-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Wow, I was kinda expecting them to wait until after the 2009 season to make a change.

SteelCurtain7
01-23-2009, 06:32 PM
About time. I've seen some better coaches (Mike Shanahan, for example) canned earlier.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2009, 06:50 PM
I thought Herm would get a pass this season, as he has had a young team for the past couple years without a QB. Croyle, Thigpen, Huard.......all terrible.

I was thinking that they sign Leftwich in the offseason and whoever takes that job has a nice bunch to work with. Cowher maybe???

welder4pit
01-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Possibly Kirk Ferentz from U of Iowa?

Aussie_steeler
01-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Chris Collingsworth predicted this yesterday on ESPN.

He has Cards OC Haley as the main man.

http://www.kansascity.com/909/story/993121.html

NBC Sports analyst Cris Collinsworth expects Arizona Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley to become the Chiefs’ next head coach.

Collinsworth, who spent time with Haley before broadcasting the Cardinals’ NFC first-round win over Atlanta and will cover the Super Bowl between Arizona and Pittsburgh, said Haley’s star has risen higher than anyone’s during the playoffs.

“I think he’ll be the coach in Kansas City,” Collinsworth told me Tuesday on a teleconference. “I’m watching what’s happening with all the (new) coaches, and we’ve seen some of the defensive coaches come off the board, and the one guy nobody is talking about that has surprised me, and it’s because (the Cardinals) flew so far under the radar screen, was Haley. He’s not under the radar screen anymore.

HometownGal
01-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Cowher is out of the question for anybody this offseason

Definitely. I think he is waiting on the Panthers job. I'm shocked that John Fox wasn't fired after the huge loss in the playoffs, but I can almost guarantee that if the Panthers don't get to the SB next season, he'll be canned and The Chin most likely will step right on in.

I knew Edwards' firing was coming. The Chiefs have really gone downhill and though I don't believe it was all attributable to Edwards' coaching, the HC always gets the brunt of the blame. He may be picked up as a DB coach or a DC.

The Duke
01-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Let's wait for all the good coaches to be signed before we fire ours

–Kansas City Chiefs Management

MasterOfPuppets
01-23-2009, 08:05 PM
jason garrett is still available.....:popcorn:

MasterOfPuppets
01-23-2009, 08:08 PM
by Ccampbell34
2008 NFL Head Coaching Candidates
Possible and Known* Openings: WAS*, CAR, ATL*, SEA, STL, SF, MIA*, CIN, BAL*, IND

* Dallas Offensive Coordinator Jason Garrett
* San Francisco Assistant Head Coach Mike Singletary
* New England Offensive Coordinator Josh McDaniels
* Indianapolis Assistant Head Coach Jim Caldwell
* Pittsburgh Offensive Coordinator Bruce Arians
* Minnesota Defensive Coordinator Leslie Frazier
* San Diego Linebackers Coach Ron Rivera
* Arizona Assistant Head Coach Russ Grimm
* New York Giants Defensive Coordinator Steve Spagnuolo
* Jacksonville Defensive Coordinator Mike Smith (HIRED BY ATLANTA FALCONS)
* Former Chargers Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer
* Philadelphia Secondary Coach John Harbaugh (HIRED BY BALTIMORE RAVENS)
* Former Lions Head Coach Steve Mariucci
* Former Tennessee Offensive Coordinator Norm Chow
* Former Packers Head Coach Mike Sherman
* Baltimore Defensive Coordinator Rex Ryan
* Seattle Assistant Head Coach Jim Mora
* Seattle Quarterbacks Coach Jim Zorn (HIRED BY WASHINGTON REDSKINS)
* New Orleans Defensive Coordinator Gary Gibbs
* Former Cardinals Head Coach Dennis Green
* Oakland Defensive Coordinator Rob Ryan
* Southern California Quarterbacks Coach Steve Sarkisian
* Former Baltimore Head Coach Brian Billick
* Dallas Assistant Head Coach Tony Sparano (HIRED BY MIAMI DOLPHINS)
* Former Giants Head Coach Jim Fassel
* Iowa Head Coach Kirk Ferentz
* Boston College Head Coach Jeff Jagodzinski
* Former Vikings Head Coach Mike Tice
* Florida Head Coach Urban Meyer
* Ohio State Head Coach Jim Tressel
* Former Michigan Head Coach Lloyd Carr
* Southern California Head Coach Pete Carroll

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

The Cast: Herm Edwards, Ferentz, Schwartz

The Plot: OK, so this one isn't open yet. But word out of K.C. is that Pioli's interview with Clark Hunt went very well. Pioli has reason to be intrigued -- the roster has been blown up, and last year's draft class looks like it could be a cornerstone going forward. The Chiefs are again stocked with draft picks, starting at third overall. And if Pioli's hired, Edwards is likely gone.

The Final Act: If Pioli lands in K.C., it's pretty likely that Ferentz or Schwartz will come with him. If it's, say, Chris Polian, Edwards might have a shot to stay. Hunt is looking to put a long-term foundation in place. So is everyone, you say? Well, like Bowlen, the Hunt family has a history of stability in its organization, as Carl Peterson's 20-year run would attest.

OneForTheToe
01-23-2009, 08:19 PM
The Chiefs had to make a move if they wanted to - "play to win the game."

Rumor is that the Chiefs are taliking to Shanny. So, he'll coach the Chiefs for 5 years and then move onto coach San Diego to complete the AFC West?:noidea:

Godfather
01-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Let's wait for all the good coaches to be signed before we fire ours

–Kansas City Chiefs Management

Yeah...I guess they kept Herm in case the new GM wanted to retain him. But I don't think this will hurt too much. I doubt they'll regret missing out on Mangini or McDaniel.

Agree that it wasn't really Herm's fault. More than half the Chiefs were rookies or second year players. If that talent develops they're going to be scary good.

Fire Haley
01-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Herm=Mangina

Losers

RoethlisBURGHer
01-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Herm walked into a bad situation in KC.

When he got there they had a good offense. But they didn't have a defense.

Then Trent Green became a walking concussion. And the offensive line got old and the best player on it retired.

So they had to rebuild, and to rebuild you start young. Now that team has a good young nucleus. Someone's going to walk into a gold mine of talent.

stlrtruck
01-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Look for Herm to land somewhere as a coordinator.

LambertIsGod58
01-25-2009, 10:39 AM
It seems to me Edwards runs every team he takes on into the ground.

KeiselPower99
01-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Reports are he will be the Colts DC or the Panthers secondary coach.

The Duke
01-25-2009, 01:25 PM
It seems to me Edwards runs every team he takes on into the ground.

lol, yeah

But to be fair, the chiefs were already heading on a down spiral