PDA

View Full Version : My First Mock Draft For Steelers

steelerdave1969
01-24-2009, 08:13 AM
I think this is the way the Steelers should go in the april draft, just my opinions though.

1. C/G Max Unger 6'5 300 lbs Oregon
2. DT Terrence Taylor 6'0 308 lbs Michigan
3. OT Jason Watkins 6'6 310 lbs Florida
4. WR/KR Jarrett Dillard 5'11 l85 lbs Rice
5. DB Cary Harris 6'0 185 lbs USC
6. OT Rylan Reed 6'7 314 lbs Texas Tech
7. FB Quinn Jackson 6'1 260 lbs LSU

steelersfanman92
01-24-2009, 08:18 AM
I am not really a fan of Unger I would much rather see the Steelers get Alex Mack or even Eric Wood from Louisville, I saw him in person and he was really impressive, not as good as Mack but still is a good player

steelerdave1969
01-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Yeh, they talked pretty high about Wood as well, but most likely they are not gonna take him in the first round I wouldnt think. I wouldnt mind the Steelers getting Safety Patrick Chung in the 1st round either. He could be a nice replacement for Ryan Clark or to groom behind Troy Polomalu for a few seasons.

MDSteel15
01-24-2009, 11:29 PM
I think this is the way the Steelers should go in the april draft, just my opinions though.

You are missing some picks, but .....
No
Yes
Maybe
No
No
No
Yes

steelerdave1969
01-25-2009, 09:31 AM
You are missing some picks, but .....
No
Yes
Maybe
No
No
No
Yes

yeh, I am sure the league will give us some compensation picks for our losses last offseason, but I didnt know what they will be. Max Unger can play all 5 offensive line positions, I guess we wouldnt want that would we?... lol
FB Quinn Johnson just might have moved up a lot of boards with last nights performance in the senior bowl. He would be a very nice addition to our backfield as a blocker and a reciever as he showed last night.

KeiselPower99
01-25-2009, 10:46 AM
I watched a few Louisville games and Wood really impressed me more then Unger and Mack. I dont think its that big of a need this year cause Hartwig has played good. If one of them is there and is the bpa then I wouldnt have a problem with it. Jarrett Dilliard would be a nice pickup if we lose Nate.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Max Unger can play all 5 offensive line positions, I guess we wouldnt want that would we?... lol

Actually, Unger cant play left tackle and would not be a good run blocking Right Tackle. Watch some games of him and isolate on him instead of relying on the reports of McShay, Mayock and Kiper.......he is a taller version of Mike Pollack drafted last year by the Colts, or our own Darnell Stapleton(UFA). He is athletic and gets to the 2nd level well, has good technique, but has trouble with guys lined up over him overpowering him.

Unger would be a good center in the NFC where they dont play as many 3-4 alignments, or otherwise a guard in the divisions where they play a 3-4. Ask yourself how many times do we need to switch a player from Guard to Right Tackle or center?? I can only think of 1 time Alan Faneca had to play Tackle in the past 15 seasons, so a player that can do a lot of things well isnt as important than one who can play 1 position great.

Preacher
01-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Actually, Unger cant play left tackle and would not be a good run blocking Right Tackle. Watch some games of him and isolate on him instead of relying on the reports of McShay, Mayock and Kiper.......he is a taller version of Mike Pollack drafted last year by the Colts, or our own Darnell Stapleton(UFA). He is athletic and gets to the 2nd level well, has good technique, but has trouble with guys lined up over him overpowering him.

Unger would be a good center in the NFC where they dont play as many 3-4 alignments, or otherwise a guard in the divisions where they play a 3-4. Ask yourself how many times do we need to switch a player from Guard to Right Tackle or center?? I can only think of 1 time Alan Faneca had to play Tackle in the past 15 seasons, so a player that can do a lot of things well isnt as important than one who can play 1 position great.

How about Kemo, who played two positions, or Starks who has played two positions, or Stapleton who is a center but has had to fill in as a Guard. Seems to me being able to slide over to fill a whole is very important.

However, after watching the Senior game last night, there wasn't anyone on the O line that really took my breath away. No one seemed to get a consistent run push. Our pass blocking has greatly improved, so any upgrade would be primarily to upgrade our running ability as well. I don't know if it is going to be here in this draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-25-2009, 11:41 AM
How about Kemo, who played two positions, or Starks who has played two positions, or Stapleton who is a center but has had to fill in as a Guard. Seems to me being able to slide over to fill a whole is very important.

However, after watching the Senior game last night, there wasn't anyone on the O line that really took my breath away. No one seemed to get a consistent run push. Our pass blocking has greatly improved, so any upgrade would be primarily to upgrade our running ability as well. I don't know if it is going to be here in this draft.

What 2 positions are you talking about?? Kemo playing Guard and Guard?? You are right that Starks playing LT and RT have 2 different sets of demands, but playing left guard and right guard is essentially the same thing.

The game didnt show much, but the guys that stood out in practice from a interior O line position to me were Trevor Cantwell of Cinci(a nasty monster), Craig Urbik(mauler with better feet than I thought), Wisconsin, Alex Mack, Cal(strong and intelligent), Wood from Louisville(a rock, but not agile), Caldwell from Bama, Luigs from Arkansas(Rimmington award winner). Any of those guys are an improvement from Kemo, Hartwig or Stapleton.

From an OT perspective, Oher, Beatty and Loadholt would be good prospects, but we only have a good shot at the latter 2.

SunshineMan21
01-25-2009, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't mind Unger if it came to it, but I must confess I've got my heart set on Mack at the moment.

MDSteel15
01-25-2009, 10:52 PM
yeh, I am sure the league will give us some compensation picks for our losses last offseason, but I didnt know what they will be. Max Unger can play all 5 offensive line positions, I guess we wouldnt want that would we?... lol

Actually NO! What we need is a guy that plays one possition at a ProBowl level and will be there for a long time! I don't want a guy that can fill in at each spot, I want him in there every play at the same spot.... :banging:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-26-2009, 01:35 AM
Actually NO! What we need is a guy that plays one possition at a ProBowl level and will be there for a long time! I don't want a guy that can fill in at each spot, I want him in there every play at the same spot.... :banging:

:applaudit:

I completely agree with everything you said. People keep forgetting that Trai Essex and Sean Mahan are versatile......but arent good enough to start on the O line we already have. We dont need another versatile backup.

MasterOfPuppets
01-26-2009, 02:25 AM

I completely agree with everything you said. People keep forgetting that Trai Essex and Sean Mahan are versatile......but arent good enough to start on the O line we already have. We dont need another versatile backup.
the steelers don't have backups....they have starters in waiting......:toofunny:........:pde: ...........:doh:

MDSteel15
01-26-2009, 09:35 AM
the steelers don't have backups....they have starters in waiting......:toofunny:........:pde: ...........:doh:

For some of them it's a long azz wait :thumbsup:

SunshineMan21
01-27-2009, 09:31 PM

I agree . . . I don't care how many positions a guy can play--I'd rather he be able to play one really well.

Muppet13
01-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Anyone from ohio would be good!

MDSteel15
01-27-2009, 10:52 PM

NOT

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-28-2009, 12:52 AM

I actually like Alex Boone from OSU in the 3rd or later. He takes a lot of grief for not handling the speed guys, but has good technique and gets the most out of his long arms. Also run blocks very well. Should be a solid RT for years to come, but could only play LT in a pinch. He has been compared a bit to Aaron Sears from Tampa.

steelerdave1969
01-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Anyone here that thinks we really have a chance at getting OT Oher in the 1st round please raise your hand.... thats what I thought. Loadholt is just another Max Starks, but maybe worst. The guy is so stiff at the senior bowl he looked terrible against speed guys. Alex Mack got beaten time after time during the senior bowl practices that I saw by Raji the best DT in the upcoming draft in my opinion. And I guess that Mike Mayock and Mel Kiper Jr know nothing about the draft eligible players, sorry my bad for listening to them..

Finnbar007
01-28-2009, 05:27 PM
The best Mock I have seen is at http://draftzoo.com

Gives us Alex Mack and Herman Johnson in the first two rounds...that would be a great young line

MDSteel15
01-29-2009, 01:38 PM
The best Mock I have seen is at http://draftzoo.com

Gives us Alex Mack and Herman Johnson in the first two rounds...that would be a great young line

From everything I've seen on him, Johnson isn't our pick unless he loses 50 lbs and learns to get lower in his stance....

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-29-2009, 03:15 PM
From everything I've seen on him, Johnson isn't our pick unless he loses 50 lbs and learns to get lower in his stance....

Johnson looked terrible in the Senior Bowl. He cold not block pass rushers as a RT, he couldnt get any push on Tim Jamison from Michigan and I saw him miss LB's at the 2nd level and fall down.

I would rather have Cantwell, Wood, Caldwell, Unger, Feinga, Vasquez, Urbik or Tyronne Green to play guard than Herman Johnson.

steelerdave1969
02-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Just some more names to keep an eye on

OG Herman Johnson is sounding more and more like a Steeler to me, if the guy can get his weight down about 20 lbs he can be a monster. At 6'7 386 lbs he is very strong and can be coached from what I have heard from a lot of coaches/press that I have read on him.

WR/KR Branden Tate UNC at 6'1 195 lbs he is a great playmaker that the Steelers could use very much in the return game and he can learn from 2 of the best at their respective position WR's Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes.

Center Jonathan Luigs at 6'4 307 lbs sounds like he would be a great 2nd round pick for the Steelers.

Havik
02-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Max Unger would be a horrible fit for the Steelers. He's a zone-blocking lineman. We need a guy who can handle the big nose tackles in the AFC. I would prefer Alex Mack, Eric Wood, or Jonathan Luigs. I wouldn't go any higher than 3rd round for Herman Johnson. I'd rather have Duke Robinson, Andy Levitre, or Trevor Canfield.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Max Unger would be a horrible fit for the Steelers. He's a zone-blocking lineman. We need a guy who can handle the big nose tackles in the AFC. I would prefer Alex Mack, Eric Wood, or Jonathan Luigs. I wouldn't go any higher than 3rd round for Herman Johnson. I'd rather have Duke Robinson, Andy Levitre, or Trevor Canfield.

I agree with everything you say here, except Levitre.

I just watched the Senior Bowl practice again and dont think Levitre is gonna be that good of a guard. He might be an OK RT, but has short arms. I think he will be a decent guy at 3 positions, but not really great at any.

For a pure guard, I would rather have Urbik from Wisconsin, Vasquez from Texas tech or Tyronne Green from Auburn than Levitre.

Steely McSmash
02-12-2009, 11:26 AM

Amen!

surcalifero
02-16-2009, 10:13 PM
my mock draft:

1. Britton (Arizona)
2. Urbik (Wisconsin)
3. Hunt (Houston)

steelerdave1969
02-22-2009, 04:53 AM
Here is some more off the wall players at different positions to keep an eye on.

OG
Duke Robinson 6'5 335 lbs Oklahoma
Herman Johnson 6'7 386 lbs LSU (size speaks for itself)
Trevor Canfield 6'5 305 lbs Cincinnati
Louis Vasquez 6'6 335 lbs Texas Tech ( was a good passblocker )

Center ( other than Mack and Unger)
Jonathan Luigs 6'4 314 lbs Arkansas

DE/DT's
Terrance Taylor 6'0 308 lbs Michigan ( Great run stuffer )
Zach Potter 6'7 280 lbs Nebraska ( made alot of plays behind LOS )

DB's
Sean Smith 6'3 214 lbs Utah
D.J. Moore 5'10 182 lbs Vanderbilt

S
Louis Delmas 5'11 196 lbs W. Michigan
My Sleeper for Steelers at Safety is
Patrick Chung 6'0 210 lbs Oregon

BKAnthem
02-26-2009, 09:40 AM
1=Max Unger, C, Oregon - 6'5- 305 -Can Play any position on the O line

2=Jamon Meredith OL,South Carolina- 6'5- 304- Can Play Guard or Tackle

3=Terrance Taylor, DT, Michigan - 6'0- 319- good Run Stopping D-Lineman

4=Rashad Johnson, S, Alabama - 6'0- 187 -Ball hawking Safety, Can Play Corner

5=Geno Atkins, DT, Georgia - 6'1- 290 -Strong and quick

6=Victor Harris, CB, Virginia Tech - 6'0- 194-Very Good Cover Corner

7=Jasper Brinkley, LB, South Carolina - 6'2- 270- Can eventually Replace Farrior on the inside,runs a 4.7 40...injury prone

7=Brandon Gibson, WR, Washington State - 6- 202 - Very elusive after the catch,a faster Hines Ward

steelerdave1969
02-28-2009, 07:04 AM
First of all, S Rashad Johnson will never make it to the 4th round bud and DB Victor Harris will never last that long either. Brinkley to replace Farrior? I dont think so, I think the Steelers already have a replacement for Farrior in Lawrence Timmons and Bruce Davis most likely will take over for James Harrison in a couple years.

steelerdave1969
02-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Some more names that I think could be nice picks for the Steelers look like this:

OG Duke Robinson, as he is the best Guard in this upcoming draft and I think that the Steelers need help there more than anywhere on the offensive line except RT and I dont really see anyone falling to us at 32 to start from day one.

OG Kraig Urbik from Wisconsin would be a great 3rd or 4th rounder for the Steelers.

DT Ron Brace from Boston College might be a good run stopper for the Steelers in the late 2nd or 3rd as well.

S Patrick Chung from Oregon is one of my favorite prospects, as I think he could definitely give us some much needed depth and competition in the secondary and a future replacement for Ryan Clark

S Trimane Goddard from UNC would also be a nice addition to our secondary. All he does is make plays and thats all he needs to do right?

LB Darry Beckwith from LSU wouldnt be a bad middle round selection as well

steelerdave1969
03-11-2009, 01:31 PM
An Update of my First Mock Draft for the Steelers

Round/Player/School

1. C Alex Mack California
2. S Patrick Chung Oregon
3. OG Herman Johnson LSU
3. WR Brian Robiskie Ohio State
4. DT Roy Miller Texas
5. FB Quinn Johnson LSU
6. DE/DT Chris Baker Hampton
7. ILB Antonio Appleby Virginia

A Little Different Than My First, I think this would be a nice draft, I just really dont espect S Chung to make it to us at no.64, so maybe there will be a trade.... lol
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the way my first mock draft looked..

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Robiske will go in the 2nd or even the bottom of the 1st from the workouts he has had.

Herman Johnson is terrible. He isnt quick enough to play RT and is also too slow to pull as a guard. He would need to play guard on a team that doesnt pull much. I hope we dont draft him.

Patrick Chung is a SS that plays well in the box. I think we need a FS if we are gonna spend a 2nd round pick........so really hope we dont draft him either. I'd rather see Keenan Lewis CB in round 2..........but what do I know.

steelerdave1969
03-11-2009, 06:34 PM
I am just glad that we all have our own opinions.. :noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
03-11-2009, 06:43 PM
did the steelers sign some tackles that i don't know about ?:huh: as far as i remember starks and colon are still on one year deals......:noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2009, 06:54 PM
First of all, S Rashad Johnson will never make it to the 4th round bud and DB Victor Harris will never last that long either. Brinkley to replace Farrior? I dont think so, I think the Steelers already have a replacement for Farrior in Lawrence Timmons and Bruce Davis most likely will take over for James Harrison in a couple years.

If Timmons is the replacement for Farrior......then who is gonna replace Foote after he leaves in 2010??

I too am glad we all have our own opinions. :noidea:

steelerdave1969
03-14-2009, 07:34 PM
If Timmons is the replacement for Farrior......then who is gonna replace Foote after he leaves in 2010??

I too am glad we all have our own opinions. :noidea:

Timmons will replace Farrior as the leader of this defense from the middle I guess is what I am trying to say. As far as I know Foote is only signed thru the '09 season right? I dont know if Bruce Davis is even the guy on the outside and Timmons has proven that he has the speed to play outside opposite Woodley if needed.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Timmons will replace Farrior as the leader of this defense from the middle I guess is what I am trying to say. As far as I know Foote is only signed thru the '09 season right? I dont know if Bruce Davis is even the guy on the outside and Timmons has proven that he has the speed to play outside opposite Woodley if needed.

And I was saying that your criticizm of another poster who suggested Jasper Brinkley would replace Farrior is incorrect.

As you said, Foote is signed thru '09 and Timmons will replace him on the field, possibly more this year. A draft pick like Brinkley or McKillop could replace Farrior in 2-3 seasons as the mike linebacker. Brinkley would be a nice addition.

SteelMember
03-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Any thoughts on these potential picks. I know I'm hoping for some of these to fall, but you can always hope...right?

1. C-Alex Mack
2. CB-Jarius Byrd
3. OG-Kraig Urbik
4. DE-Dorell Scott / OT-Gerald Cadogan
5. WR-Austin Colle
6. FS-Darcel McBath
7. ILB-Joey Hudson
7. FB-Tony Fiammetta